PDA

View Full Version : XP?

alexonfyre
07-31-2011, 01:58 AM
So my friend and I rolled characters at the same time with similar set ups, the only difference being the genes we chose.
We have completed all of the missions together and have nearly the same number of total kills (+/- 20)
Is there a reason that his character has made it to level 21 and mine is only 16?

To reiterate:
-Characters made at the same time
-Neither has played without the other.
-Same number of completed missions
-Nearly the same number of kills
-On a consistent private server with only the two of us.
-Despite the level difference our stats are fairly similar.

UPDATE: Scroll down for how I figured out the XP difference and exploited the hell out of it =P

Tigerhawk71
07-31-2011, 02:13 AM
So my friend and I rolled characters at the same time with similar set ups, the only difference being the genes we chose.
We have completed all of the missions together and have nearly the same number of total kills (+/- 20)
Is there a reason that his character has made it to level 21 and mine is only 16?

To reiterate:
-Characters made at the same time
-Neither has played without the other.
-Same number of completed missions
-Nearly the same number of kills
-On a consistent private server with only the two of us.
-Despite the level difference our stats are fairly similar.

According to the survival tips, XP is rewarded when you hit someone, not necessarily just shared on kill. It depends where you hit them aswell. But this is just going off the in-game tip.

(Probably one of the numerous bugs they were aware of when releasing the game, have apologized for and will fix in the first patch, if you follow some of the other threads)

As for the stats.. Well, it'll be more noticable later. Maybe you're following similar paths? Remember you only get 3 points per level, minus any fatal wound losses.

Erelenus
07-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Curious... are you getting the experience for completing the missions, or is he the only one getting that experience? That'd certainly explain the large discrepancy in levels.

alexonfyre
07-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Curious... are you getting the experience for completing the missions, or is he the only one getting that experience? That'd certainly explain the large discrepancy in levels.

He usually does the talking, but I am sitting right there generally when the mission completes. So maybe that is it?
But another issue, one time, when we went on a temple killing spree (which we do from time to time,) we compared kills, He killed 4 Masters, 3 Captains and a smattering of Sergeants and grunts. I killed 2 Masters, 2 Captains and more grunts than he did. He was level 17 and I was level 14. I understand that he should get more XP than I did there, since he killed higher ranked stuff, however in this particular instance he leveled up TWICE while I only got half of a level, which in real terms (since he was almost to level 18 at the time) means he got nearly 10k XP while I only got 4k, and he only killed 2 more Masters and 1 more Captain. If you take into account that I killed 2 of each, there simply isn't any mathematical way this works (if you solve for it, it means Masters are worth -4000XP and Captains are worth 6000XP.)

Also perhaps relevant: When I rolled my character, I had 18 more overall stat points than he did.

EDIT: What I suspect the difference is, His weapon of choice is the BOSCO sniper, I use the BK43, grenades, submachine gun and Damascus sword. I have heard a number of reports of the BOSCO granting people obscene amounts of XP, any chance that is the issue?

Hertston
07-31-2011, 09:38 AM
I have heard a number of reports of the BOSCO granting people obscene amounts of XP, any chance that is the issue?

Ah.. that might explain something. First time I played through the first mission I picked the BOSCO as weapon of choice and ended it at level 5, I think. Next I picked the Rotten Mound, and ended it at level 2! Would make sense if the XP for BOSCO kills is borked.

alexonfyre
07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Ah.. that might explain something. First time I played through the first mission I picked the BOSCO as weapon of choice and ended it at level 5, I think. Next I picked the Rotten Mound, and ended it at level 2! Would make sense if the XP for BOSCO kills is borked.

Haha, I think we have a winner, I am rerolling a sniper to capitalize on this now before the patch!

Hansuki
07-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Dev said in another thread that more hits = more exp as well. IE minigunning a helicopter will net more EXP than two shoting it with the .50 cal.

If you're using grenades and melee then you are hitting guys once or multiple guys at once and therefore yielding less exp. Yes it sucks to be melee currently, other than one hit killing with damascus ofc.

BrianGriffin
07-31-2011, 10:44 AM
If you're using grenades and melee then you are hitting guys once or multiple guys at once and therefore yielding less exp. Yes it sucks to be melee currently, other than one hit killing with damascus ofc.

As melee you can also invest your skillpoints in your speed/hp and finish the objectives on the other side of the map by the time the other guys have picked their equipment.

36 levels into melee and not regretting it so far :P

Hansuki
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
As melee you can also invest your skillpoints in your speed/hp and finish the objectives on the other side of the map by the time the other guys have picked their equipment.

36 levels into melee and not regretting it so far :P

Me neither, except in that huge outdoor tomb map where I was forced to grab sniper. My strat is light armor, leg and heart upgrades, with high strength and Psi: cloak+sprint to obj and unleash team ninja (summon squad) while I dash around dismembering peeps with dual katanas. High hacking for cash as well!

BrianGriffin
07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Interesting, I'm just a str/end/agi build with lots of cyber legs and adrenaline pumper. Heavy Armor, Dual Katanas and Medkit (Sniper if it's a gunship map). I just constantly run around the map, mostly one hitting every enemy with my katanas. Because of the attack speed they're great for taking on groups, and because of my high endurance/adrenaline pumper I can run for hours and recharging it only takes a few seconds of being crouched :).

Good to hear there's some variety in playing Melee aswell :D

alexonfyre
07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
My main was actually submachine gain for most of it, and unless I'm mistaken I hit the enemies way more times with that than with the sniper (I picked sub because it says in the game that you get XP when you do damage based on enemy efficiency, kind of like Borderlands.) But with the sniper I rerolled, I just finished the first mission (with the federals) and I am almost level 14, My other character was level 16 after the fourth mission. Something is up with BOSCO, I think.

alexonfyre
08-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Update:

If you want to level quickly. Go to the Temple HQ (You should be at least level 10, and completed the first Neon City mission to do this.) Backstab and kill the Commander. Equip the BOSCO. Shoot anything that moves. If you find something with shields get a fair distance away (to where they don't hit you, or hit you very slightly.) Unload into their shield from the front (if you do it from the back you will kill them more quickly and it won't work as well.)

Tips:
-You want an Accuracy in the mid-high 60s if possible, This will lead to guaranteed damage through the shields, but not so much that the enemies will die too quickly.

-Shoot the Chest, not the head. Again this will kill them too quickly.

-Wear Medium or Heavy Armor, you will be taking hits doing this and you don't want to keep having to hide in the middle of farming.

-It is a good idea to do some missions and get your karma above 80, this will plummet your karma, and also when you die (and you will die) you don't want fatal injuries undoing all of your "hard" work.

-Kill all of the grunts first, they aren't worth much XP and they will get in your line of fire anyway, kill you and otherwise muck up the plans.

-The hallway in front of the training room is the best place for this, it is long and flat and you can load up on ammo in the training area if you run out. It isn't hard to make people chase you there.

-It works best in 2 player co-op, you can protect each other and there is more than enough XP to go around (Solo it is hard to deal with all the enemies, and 3 or 4 players will split XP to the point where it becomes tedious.)

Every hit will give you a ton of XP, and you can unload clip after clip into a single enemy and level up at will.
List of locations with Shielded Captains/Generals:
2 in the hallway leading to the gun shop
1 at the end of the long hallway headed to the deadend past the training room.
1 in the Archives
3 (maybe 4?) in the training room.
2 in the Main Room

When I first started this (around level 16) I got 3 levels off of a single enemy by doing this, now (a little over level 30) I get about 1/2 to 2/3 of a level per enemy. Generally, out of all of those captains, I am able to effectively farm 2-3 per run, my co-op partner gets the same, and then we end up having to kill a couple who are too dangerous to do this with (have one Bumrush with the sword, blocking and drawing fire, while the other sneaks around back and backstabs.)

Once you have killed everyone, exit via one of the side mission doors, finish it and come back and all of the people will have respawned and are no longer hostile.

I used this to go from 16-28 in about an hour and a half or so.