PDA

View Full Version : dual monitors gtx 260m?

snoo snoo
08-02-2011, 05:01 PM
i have an extra monitor i can use.is it normal for my GPU to run hotter (65-72C) and also its an old flat panel monitor non hd. just wondering if its normal.

thanks in advance

edit: new high temp after doing a few things at once 78C

PXT263
08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Your GPU will run hotter because it has to do more to display stuff on those screens.

Those temperatures seem a bit high for idle though.

snoo snoo
08-02-2011, 05:13 PM
on its built in screenthe temps idle at around 55-65C depending on how hot the weather is. passed 2 weeks been 100F outside

stopgap
08-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes, slightly higher temps are normal, and yes, those are a bit high to begin with.

If you're not comfortable taking it apart buy some compressed air and blow all the dust out of the vents. If you're up to the task, see if you can't disassemble it, then clean up the heatsinks and apply some new thermal paste. Common models will probably have instructions to follow somewhere on the internet.

snoo snoo
08-02-2011, 05:51 PM
never really worked with applying thermal past. but i have modded my case. drilled holes with a dremel on the fake vent. lowered a little. but asus laptops run hotter then most as i have searched a lot about the gpu temps on this laptop.

but i will look into it. so far i have never had my laptop shut off from over heating.

when i play graphic intense games it runs to 100C once i got it to 102c. ever since i did the case mod i don't go above 96c under full load. single screen of course

stopgap
08-02-2011, 06:07 PM
How old is it? If its a 260, I assume it's going to be a few years by now (plus you probably wouldn't be drilling the case if it was newish).
There's not a lot to know about the paste itself other than to use modest amounts and making sure the surfaces where the old paste was have been properly cleaned. The trick with a laptop is getting to where it's needed which can be a monumental pain in the ♥♥♥♥. ;)

snoo snoo
08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
its pushing about 2 years old. i just don't want it to die on me cause of to much heat. but at the full load temps it still runs games fine. i won't game with dual screens as i have no use for doing that. thanks for the help guys. i might have my tech guy redo my thermal paste