PDA

View Full Version : Dying around corners, thoughts

LinkinMcOwnage
08-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Okay first thing I will say is that I'm NOT complaining about this.

Since the orange box engine, we have interp, right? And there's still this bug with the ragdolls that causes them to "jump" when they die. I'm sure you've seen ragdolls hanging out of the ceiling because of this. Ragdolls are client side, yes? And source doesn't have 100 tick anymore, yes?

So:

The lower tickrate/responsiveness + interp, combined with the fact that ragdolls jump up when you die, means that you are really getting killed before you go around the corner, but due to latency (as always) you don't make it, and you die. And since the orange box engine, your ragdoll will now jump up and travel further around the corner before hitting the ground, meaning it looks like you were already around the corner, and then pulled back to die! Or your hitbox was laggy! Or the server is ♥♥♥♥ and has bad rego!

I think that before anyone mentions lag or tickrate again, these stupid ragdoll bugs need to be fixed before anything else.

What are your thoughts?

ChocOrange
08-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Seriously, who has rag dolls turned on? They just block your vision when dead, depending where they die.

From your replies to other posts I thought you were a 'competitive' player yet you have rag dolls.

I've never seen my model dragged back when dead - seriously NEVER.

Maybe it's just me, but this "getting killed around a corner" happens so rarely to me I'm starting to think it's an over-reported myth or something is wrong with people's connection/net code settings.

I'll get peeps saying "you're wrong! It happens all the time" but FOR ME it doesn't.

LinkinMcOwnage
08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I never said I was a competitive player. I'm just a guy who plays games and tweaks computers, and anything else I can tweak. That happens to include games.

Let me guess, because someone has auto weapon switch on they aren't a competitive player either?

I also never said anything about models/ragdolls being dragged back, hitboxes perhaps.

I'm not going to argue right or wrong either because it's pointless.

In addition, people's latency comes into play. High ping players are lagging behind but they can still kill you, which is where most of this killed around corners stuff comes from. I'm saying that it's not better or worse since the orange box update, just the the ragdolls being client side and "jumping up" when you die makes them travel further after you're dead, giving the illusion that you were killed after you went around the corner, because when the ragdoll lands it's in a very different spot from where you actually got hit.

EliteTemptation
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I didn't read this thread, but here is my input

This game is worse now then it was before, and it's abandoned.

Phantom.'
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Seriously, who has rag dolls turned on?

From your replies to other posts I thought you were a 'competitive' player yet you have rag dolls.

Whether or not you have rag dolls turned on has nothing to do with how you play the game and whether you're a competitive player or not.

On-topic;
Even when playing on a really good server, with correct rates and Zblock, I can shoot someone after they've gone around a corner, and they can do the same to me. That's once reason why I don't complain about it- it affects everyone, even if they don't realise it. Also, this is when playing with less than 50 ping. (Both players)

LinkinMcOwnage
08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Whether or not you have rag dolls turned on has nothing to do with how you play the game and whether you're a competitive player or not.

On-topic;
Even when playing on a really good server, with correct rates and Zblock, I can shoot someone after they've gone around a corner, and they can do the same to me. That's once reason why I don't complain about it- it affects everyone, even if they don't realise it. Also, this is when playing with less than 50 ping. (Both players)

Yep. The game isn't up to scratch. Needs to be fixed... but yeah, Valve/HPE have done nothing in months that we can see.

nikavelli
08-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Are you talking about rubberbanding? Where bullets pull you around corners? That happens to me all the time, you just have to deal wit it or play a different game.

Phantom.'
08-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Are you talking about rubberbanding? Where bullets pull you around corners? That happens to me all the time, you just have to deal wit it or play a different game.

Indeed. Would be nice if they fixed it, or at least tried to.

LinkinMcOwnage
08-04-2011, 11:41 PM
We are getting off topic. My main point is that you get hit before you go around the corner, but your ragdoll jumps up and physically moves behind the corner because of it, rather than falling straight on the floor like it's supposed to, so it looks like you got pulled back, when in reality you never went around the corner.

Phantom.'
08-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't really look at where my rag doll lands, I look more at the wall I'm behind when I get shot. It may be that some people mistake the final position of the rag doll for where you were when you die, but anyone who knows how crazy rag dolls can react would and should ignore that.

Crusher75060
08-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I see this happen in our server and we have ragdoll turned off. Let's say in Dust 2, I'll be in lower B shooting up at short A. The guy will start shooting back and I'll turn and run up to about the 3rd stair (thinking I got away) and suddenly I drop from a headshot.
It happens all the time. It just the orangebox has issues. Nothing to do with if ragdoll is off or on. My guy isn't JUMPING anywhere. It seems to happen less if the cl_interp is lowered from .10 to .o3 or .01.

Crusher

Phantom.'
08-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Set your interp to cl_interp 0 and your cl_interp_ratio 1.

That will decrease the chances of dieing around corners, but it can and will still happen. Another thing, this did happen pre-OB, just nowhere near as noticeable or as common.

LinkinMcOwnage
08-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Set your interp to cl_interp 0 and your cl_interp_ratio 1.

That will decrease the chances of dieing around corners, but it can and will still happen. Another thing, this did happen pre-OB, just nowhere near as noticeable or as common.

Of course it did, but IIRC, interp was default off, the old command was cl_interplorate I think.

Phantom.'
08-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Of course it did, but IIRC, interp was default off, the old command was cl_interplorate I think.

Which as far as I can remember, was default on. Playing a game without interpolation I would imagine would be very hard.