PDA

View Full Version : Your hopes for Skyrim?

TheSagetEffect
08-06-2011, 07:29 AM
So a strong amount of the RPG gaming world is awaiting for 11/11/11 with bated breath. Oblivion was a great game, but with flaws - what improvements are SPUF hoping to see?

I'll start off with a few

From Fallout games (thus likely to be included)
- More involving dialogue options. I have a feeling saying "Gang" isn't enough to start a full conversation about a gang troubling a town.

- Better quick travel. I like the idea, but I feel if you put four travel points in a small, small city then you take all exploration out of the game. In Fallout: NV, at least, you could quick travel only after you reached a spot, and still had to travel a good way from quick travel hubs to reach your destinations.

- More ending options. Sure, you couldn't let the world be conquered by Mehrunes Dagon. But I felt like no matter what path you took, you played the knight in shining armor. That's not open-ended at all.

- More world "structure". Fallout: NV had mountains you couldn't scale and had to go around. Oblivion? There was barely any destination you couldn't walk straight to.

In general;
- Smarter NPCs. If I'm swinging a giant claymore, why is my ally constantly getting in my way?

- More HP regen out of combat.

- Greater interweaving between quests. I know that's difficult when you have the choice to complete quests at any rate, but in Oblivion it felt like every quest line was unrelated to any other. I'd like to see my effects on the world.

Sierra Oscar
08-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I for one really hope that they can greater achieve what they hoped to achieve in Oblivion in terms of the AI. The initial aspirations with Radiant AI was pretty damn cool and it was a pity it had to be greatly curtailed in Oblivion.

I also hope the environment has more of that mystical feeling that Morrowind had.

TheSagetEffect
08-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Yeah. Plus the scenery in Oblivion was as plain as could be. Trees. Trees. More trees. A lake. Trees.

AsheMan
08-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I hope the level up system is nowhere near as terrible as it was in Oblivion. I would like to specialize in the skills I plan to use instead of being penalized for doing so.

TheSagetEffect
08-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Another thing I liked in Fallout was the levelling. Perks (which will be in Skyrim, confirmed) and a non-scaling levelling system. I don't like the idea of scaling levelling - sure it keeps the challenge, but then you feel like levelling has no point.

SeanHraefn
08-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Technically Fallout 3 had a scaling level system, it was just MUCH BETTER than Oblivion's.

They've said the scaling will be like Fallout, not like Oblivion.

Modiga-Disabled
08-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Some scaling has to be expected in a game that's completely open in how you progress it. I think it's the one major downside of open-gameplay games. But yeah, there are ways to do it which are better than the terrible way Oblivion did it, which for me just killed all sense of fun.

velvetmeds
08-06-2011, 08:38 AM
I hope it'll at least be worth the effort to install it (and the inevitable dozen mods it'll need to be mildly enjoyable)

08-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I have none because Bethesda cant make decent games

dontbyvista
08-06-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm hoping the environments are more varied and detailed. It seems it might be that way judging from the trailers and videos. For example, streams of water running along caves. Animations which work well in third and first person would be great too. The third person animations in Morrowind and Oblivion were stiff, and just plain awkward.

Also just a little nit-pick, I hope the music triggered in battle is appropriate to the enemy you're facing. You all remember the dramatic music which would strike up in Oblivion when facing a mudcrab, right? :p

HornetOne85
08-06-2011, 08:45 AM
That it stays true to its roots of being an RPG game, and NOT being more ACCESSIBLE (as in being simplified to appeal to the casual gamers)

There's a reason why TES games stood out, and its certainly not by being mainstream and accessible.

TheThomas13
08-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I hope for good mods.

Hivomnomnom
08-06-2011, 10:23 AM
I hope people stick to talking about it in the Skyrim forum once there is one, because all this talk of creating your own spells and such, and mizaderp magic is making my brain hurt.

TheSagetEffect
08-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Also just a little nit-pick, I hope the music triggered in battle is appropriate to the enemy you're facing. You all remember the dramatic music which would strike up in Oblivion when facing a mudcrab, right? :p

Mudcrabs are serious business. In fact I bet they were behind the Oblivion gates.

On the topic of music, need more of it. Oblivion has like five musical selections...

Lynx
08-06-2011, 10:39 AM
I just want to experience all the custom kill animations.

TheSagetEffect
08-06-2011, 02:10 PM
That it stays true to its roots of being an RPG game, and NOT being more ACCESSIBLE (as in being simplified to appeal to the casual gamers)

There's a reason why TES games stood out, and its certainly not by being mainstream and accessible.

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes it so great.

The downside is that there's no grey area - either you don't like it much at all, or you love it. People looking for an RPG will be blown away by the amount of background information, "roleplayability", and the open world. People looking for an action game may enjoy the combat, but it's infrequent and requires much more non-combat activity to encounter.

DudeNtheRoom
08-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I hope there is more adventure.

Morrowind was very fantasy. Oblivion was very generic.

They also need to come up with their own enemies. There weren't that many....not the amount that a game like this should have.

Every cave and ruin looked exactly alike on the inside.

Jesus Christ it's like they took every cliche and crammed it into the game.

There was no imagination it the game what so ever.......

...I did find it fun though.

trojanrabbit.gg
08-06-2011, 02:26 PM
My hopes? That they will finally fix that damned microstutter that has plagued the Gamebyro engine since Fallout 3. :mad:

AlecJ32
08-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I hope there is more adventure.

Morrowind was very fantasy. Oblivion was very generic.

They also need to come up with their own enemies. There weren't that many....not the amount that a game like this should have.

Every cave and ruin looked exactly alike on the inside.

Jesus Christ it's like they took every cliche and crammed it into the game.

There was no imagination it the game what so ever.......

...I did find it fun though.

That was probably a management constraint. Their bosses/the publishers/somebody probably didn't want them (the artists) spending the time and 'money' on making all this extra variety within things like cave interiors.

Then again, caves kinda do look almost exactly the same inside in real life, though I can understand your frustration with the ruins.

gjork
08-06-2011, 02:41 PM
I expect, and want, like Oblivion but better. They better not have enemies that power up as you level up again either.

ledbelly
08-06-2011, 02:48 PM
A better main quest.

BS_1
08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I hope it goes on sale within a few months of release so I can buy it. :(

Sgt.Gotee
08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Optimistically, I'd hope for a game that takes everything from Oblivion and Morrowind and makes it better.

Realistically? A solid mod community.

Cocacola123
08-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Better animation and more VA's.,

velvetmeds
08-06-2011, 02:53 PM
A proper story would nice and a first for Bethesda

Katboy333
08-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I hope they didnt turn the game into a 'knights vs dragons' kind of game.

trojanrabbit.gg
08-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I hope they didnt turn the game into a 'knights vs dragons' kind of game.

'Barbarians vs Dragons' is more likely. :p

Katboy333
08-07-2011, 11:14 PM
'Barbarians vs Dragons' is more likely. :p

THOSE SCREENSHOTS

TheEditor
08-08-2011, 12:10 AM
More Morrowind, less Oblivion.

A proper story would nice and a first for Bethesda

Lolwut? I won't say that they have great storylines, but saying that they lack... Is bs if you ask me.

dannythefool
08-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I hope it'll be as good as Oblivion was.

I feel that's a fair middle ground. Hoping for Morrowind would probably end in disappointment...

Fobmonster
08-08-2011, 01:55 AM
I hope it's not just all hype and is a good, long game!

Although knowing bethesda I probably don't have to worry :)

Twiggy159
08-08-2011, 02:42 AM
I hope they change the way the third person camera works. In Oblivion and Fallout it felt that you were moving the world from under you rather than the character.

Dazzled
08-08-2011, 03:06 AM
I just hope it's not like Oblivion, in any way. That game was such a huge disappointment in so many ways :(

thyco1
08-08-2011, 03:38 AM
I didnt mind oblivion that much, but yeah, thank god skyrim is going to have the New Vegas and Fo3 style of level scaling. I picked up the the special that was on sale over the weekend and damn, its taken me 2 days to get it running to a stable point because of all the mods ive had to use.

Now if only i could find some decent faces for the default races, i mean the all the player made elf races are nice with their naked bouncing Hcup boobs, but playing as one isnt that great when all the race npcs look like ♥♥♥♥

Yahtzee | Cyber
08-08-2011, 05:35 AM
you want to know what my hope for skyrim is? To be released in the damn UK!

alehm
08-08-2011, 08:17 AM
I have high hopes for this game but reasonable expectations.

As for my gripes about Oblivion, a lot of those were fixed in Fallout 3 (level scaling, better dialog, ect). So right off the bat I know Skyrim will be better than Oblivion in those ways.

I loved Oblivion but I am at the point I can’t even play that game anymore, even with a 100 mods. However Fallout 3, with fewer installed mods, is still an engaging experience. That shows to me Bethsda is learning and improving their games. I am expecting Skyrim to be better than Fallout 3 and I think that is a reasonable expectation.

SpiffyLancelot
09-29-2011, 12:28 AM
I hope they remove the difficulty slider... Or at least remove your ability to alter it once you've already started a game. It removes the challenge when you encounter something that's actually challenging, when you can just crank it down to easy and faceroll it... Seriously, in Oblivion you could literally start a completely new character, get some crappy armor and weapons and faceroll guard after guard in the capital just by turning it on easy... Not cool!

Oh, and more variable environments, Oblivion had entirely too many trees...

Realistic AI, if I just shot your friend with an arrow from the darkness, just don't stand there with your sword out staring into space...

Limit fast travel options, at least reintroduce the stilt strider idea, have a travel HUB that you have to travel to first, like a WoW flight point, it removes a huge element of the game if you can just fast travel everywhere anytime you want.

Also, more engaging companions, I loved DA2 for your companion's banter, it really brought the experience to life! I also loved the whole, set up a camp to gain special social interaction with your companions. :)

Elenoe
09-29-2011, 03:12 AM
I hope for proper modding interface and ability to recreate GUI like normal inventory (not one item per screen) and proper weapon/magic choosing (without pausing the game all the time).

I could hope for AI, up-to-date graphics, physics, responsive worlds, shadows maps bigger than 128x128 and more that two dynamic lights, but that is not going to happen since it is console release. So just GUI modding and it will be ok.

Howler54 II
09-29-2011, 05:49 AM
It removes the challenge when you encounter something that's actually challenging, when you can just crank it down to easy and faceroll it...

No, it gives you an option to remove the challenge.

What I hope for is lots of different armors and weapons. And a lot of well-written, interactive and engaging quests. Oh and a larger cast of voice-actors, so all characters don't share the same 10 (or something) voices.

Smear
09-29-2011, 05:52 AM
I wanted Necromancy. :(

Aedn
09-29-2011, 06:29 AM
My hopes are that most of the flaws found in oblivion and fallout 3 are fixed. better AI, better inventory system,good combat gameplay, quality storylines & quests, monster variety, and difficulty not based on leveled lists completely, ie more like Fallout NV then FO3 & Oblivion.

My expectations are that the majority of this will have to be fixed by mods though. Hopefully the non modded version will have some challange to it, but i expect the immersion will be ruined by crappy ai, combat mechanics and the ability to kill the toughest monsters in the game at level 1.