PDA

View Full Version : this game worth it?

Colorfuljosh
08-06-2011, 12:17 PM
I realy liked puzzle quest I got around 40 hours out of it so..

KSMF
08-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm downloading the demo right now, why not give that a spin.

Colorfuljosh
08-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I have found demos of smaller indie type games (i know this isn't an indie company) to not be a good representation of the whole game, it could get repetative very quickly or be shallow whilst still having a great demo. thanks for the advice though i'll give it a go

Substar
08-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I have to say no. It is very repetitive and at later levels the game throws so many restrictions at you that the game stops being fun. Puzzle Quest 2 was a much better puzzle/RPG IMHO.

KSMF
08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
After trying this game, I'm not convinced that it would be a game for me.

Graphic/sound and so on are good, but something about the game feels wrong.

I know, not much of a help, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Lurpsukka
08-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Is this a good game if you liked PQ1/PQ2?

TheVentilator
08-06-2011, 02:19 PM

I bought Gyromancer + PQ1 on Xbox 360 ages ago, but i liked PQ1 alot more.
Something felt wrong with Gyromancer. I think PQ series is better designed, but GFX is better in Gyromancer.

I'm waiting for PQ2 Steam version to go on sale.

Colorfuljosh
08-06-2011, 02:54 PM
thanks for your replies people. I dont think ill pick this up if it's not as good as puzzle quest 1 or 2 they must have heroin or something laced with them because they are addictive as ♥♥♥♥ . will hold out for PQ to go on sale to buy yet again

dementedlullaby
08-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought it was pretty fun, think I paid 10 bucks of 360. For 5 I'd probably pick it up if I didn't already own it.

Cipher210
08-06-2011, 07:13 PM
I'd personally would stay clear of this one unless you're a bejeweled freak that loves frustrating challenges.

Signa8
08-06-2011, 08:21 PM
My biggest gripe with this game is that I never felt like I was fighting the monsters that I was up against. In PQ, I would have to share the board and take turns with my enemy. In this, I'm playing by myself, and the more opportunities I miss (sometimes "opportunities" are not even present) the more the enemy punishes me. It's like playing Bejeweled Twist by yourself but with new bonus/penalty systems. Not worth more than $3 IMO.

dgdgagdae
08-06-2011, 11:18 PM

It's really not like Police Quest 1 or 2.

KSMF
08-07-2011, 12:40 AM
It's really not like Police Quest 1 or 2.

That is true, but PQ = Puzzle Quest ;)

Lurpsukka
08-07-2011, 02:51 AM
My biggest gripe with this game is that I never felt like I was fighting the monsters that I was up against. In PQ, I would have to share the board and take turns with my enemy. In this, I'm playing by myself, and the more opportunities I miss (sometimes "opportunities" are not even present) the more the enemy punishes me. It's like playing Bejeweled Twist by yourself but with new bonus/penalty systems. Not worth more than $3 IMO.

I kinda agree, just purchased the game and played through the first map. It feels "empty", you don't interact with monsters as they don't use the gems on the board. Sometimes you'll get an enemy gem on the board that has a countdown on it. Player has to clear it before the countdown reaches zero or otherwise it'll do damage to the player.

Also the interface, huge font size and clunky ui are all designed with consoles in mind.

Ansive
08-07-2011, 04:06 AM
Gyromancer felt a bit more polished than PQ 1 to me. It's also somewhat less complex.
Don't know which I enjoyed more, but I like that the board is a lot easier to follow. In PQ 1 I'd sometimes make a move and the whole board would go crazy (too fast).
Also this game does not have multiplayer.

Circlestrafe
12-06-2011, 01:57 AM

Wow, I'm old. First thing that came to mind reading PQ1/PQ2 was Police Quest 1&2, thinking wtf do those have to do with this...then I told myself 'Puzzle Quest, you idiot!'.

ganner23
12-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Well, the beggining of the game is rather dull. Not much diversity, not much of a challenge either.
But towards half of the game, your creatures and the ennemies begin to have really intersting powers and the game becomes very entertaining if you like this kind of puzzles.
problem is, once the game is over, there isn't much replayability.
And don't expect an interesting story either.