PDA

View Full Version : Could I get my money back for this game?

Waffle007
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I bought it for myself and 3 friends.. two of them can't play single or multiplayer at all, getting some error message. when my other friend and I play, it runs at a max of ~5 fps, being completely unplayable on the lowest settings possible. My computer exceeds the minimum requirements so it shouldn't be running so horribly..

Rabid Dog
08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
laptop, am I correct?

Waffle007
08-11-2011, 07:34 PM
no, desktop.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/11/2011, 22:31:24
Machine name: MICHAEL-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: NY595AA-ABA p6257c
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/24/09 11:20:05 Ver: 5.17
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 2766MB used, 13613MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8500 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0421&SUBSYS_C7473842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4081 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 3583 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP w2338h
Monitor Id: HWP281B
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,n vwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.15.0011.9038 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.11.9038
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/14/2009 11:54:00, 9375232 bytes

those are my specs.

soulgraph
08-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Minimum requirements call for nvidia 8800gt or ati 3850 or better, so your graphics card is not quite up to the task. Have you tried running the lower resolutions though?

Waffle007
08-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Minimum requirements call for nvidia 8800gt or ati 3850 or better, so your graphics card is not quite up to the task. Have you tried running the lower resolutions though?

yes, the lowest resolution. what is the return policy for this? do you know?

Elenoe
08-13-2011, 07:45 AM
yes, the lowest resolution. what is the return policy for this? do you know?
well, until its unpacked, installed and played, its posible to refund. Once installed and run... well... veeery unlikely.

Problem with 8800GTS(X) vs. 8500GT are pixelshaders. Resolution does not that much as shadows/effects/physx would. That is what slows it down for you. But I guess you cannot change them in game.

Waffle007
08-13-2011, 07:52 AM
well, until its unpacked, installed and played, its posible to refund. Once installed and run... well... veeery unlikely.

Problem with 8800GTS(X) vs. 8500GT are pixelshaders. Resolution does not that much as shadows/effects/physx would. That is what slows it down for you. But I guess you cannot change them in game.

i have shadows off and shaders to low. i 'played' for about 30 seconds and i saw maybe 30 frames in those 30 seconds of playing.

Waffle007
08-17-2011, 06:42 AM
anyone have a response?

KrileonRETURNS
08-18-2011, 05:30 PM
This is Steam and thus unfortunately hate to tell you that you will -NEVER- get a refund. Just uninstall and forget.

soulgraph
08-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Not sure where you live but I can get used video cards off craigslist for next to nothing compared to in store prices. Your cpu should be up supporting graphics a couple orders more powerfull. You may need to replace your power supply also, but if you shop around you could likely do both for under $100. Pick up something in a gtx 260 or at least hd4870 and then, at least, you'll be above min requirements for alot of games.

crunchyfrog555
08-25-2011, 08:00 AM
This is Steam and thus unfortunately hate to tell you that you will -NEVER- get a refund. Just uninstall and forget.

That is completely and utterly untrue. Steam and Valve are not above the law, you know. You can and will get refunds if you are entitled to them; no difference between Steam and any other purchase elsewhere.

However, in your case, OP, you sadly aren't entitled to a refund (at least for yourself).

Once games' licence keys are used by installing and running the game, your only reasoning for a refund would be under the grounds of the game being faulty, or not fit for the purpose. As you've listed your PC requirements and your graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements, that is not a fault of the game. Ergo, no refund sadly.

t1ddl3r
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I got a refund a couple weeks ago for red orchestra 2. This was AFTER installing and playing the game.

The game didn't work properly and they hadn't supplied the "day 1 unlocks" I paid for, even 3 days later, so I asked tripwire, they said they would back me with steam for a refund, and they gave me store credit (they will NEVER give you money into your bank, or send you a cheque, this much is true).

However, your game DOES work. You don't meet the minimum req. with that 8500, and so you are not entitled to a refund, sorry.

It is your responsibility to make sure you are over the req. before you buy a game, or suffer the consequences if it doesn't run after that.

I had the same trouble with rockstar games with GTA4 though; I was 100hz under power on my CPU and they said this was why the game only managed 10-odd fps. Of course everyone knew it was a badly ported game that many people who were way over spec (including me now) had trouble running at anything playable. They said I MIGHT have had a refund, if I had a system that met their req., but I didn't. I could almost hear their laughter, the bastards.

So, sorry, you won't get a refund.

t1ddl3r
10-12-2011, 04:37 PM
That is completely and utterly untrue. Steam and Valve are not above the law, you know. You can and will get refunds if you are entitled to them; no difference between Steam and any other purchase elsewhere.

However, in your case, OP, you sadly aren't entitled to a refund (at least for yourself).

Once games' licence keys are used by installing and running the game, your only reasoning for a refund would be under the grounds of the game being faulty, or not fit for the purpose. As you've listed your PC requirements and your graphics card doesn't meet the minimum requirements, that is not a fault of the game. Ergo, no refund sadly.

Even if it IS a fault of the game, it won't matter, because you haven't met the req., they will state that this is the reason you are having problems. And without buying new hardware and encountering the exact same issue, you can't prove otherwise.

Just be more careful in future. That 8500 surely IS ready for an upgrade though anyway?

crunchyfrog555
10-13-2011, 03:13 AM
Even if it IS a fault of the game, it won't matter, because you haven't met the req., they will state that this is the reason you are having problems. And without buying new hardware and encountering the exact same issue, you can't prove otherwise.

Just be more careful in future. That 8500 surely IS ready for an upgrade though anyway?

Think you may have quoted the wrong person there. I don't know how any of that applies to me.

crunchyfrog555
10-13-2011, 03:18 AM
WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I got a refund a couple weeks ago for red orchestra 2. This was AFTER installing and playing the game.

The game didn't work properly and they hadn't supplied the "day 1 unlocks" I paid for, even 3 days later, so I asked tripwire, they said they would back me with steam for a refund, and they gave me store credit (they will NEVER give you money into your bank, or send you a cheque, this much is true).

Not quite right, I'm afraid. Again, I cannot categorically speak for US customers (although I suspect it may be similar), under UK law you must refund via the same method you originally paid. Credit is NOT acceptable (unless of course, you wish it to be).

So, if you paid by debit card, they would refund to your card's account, if via Paypal, then into your Paypal account, and so on.

Offering credit only is certainly a big no-no.

TwwIX
10-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Check the system requirements next time you buy a game. If you want to play the game, upgrade your system then.

crunchyfrog555
10-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Check the system requirements next time you buy a game. If you want to play the game, upgrade your system then.

I'm fairly sure he realises this by now. The post was some months ago.

Darktronik
10-28-2011, 12:27 PM
You can get your refund. It depends on how much did you play it.

steam has an hour limit.

Check support and ask.

crunchyfrog555
10-28-2011, 04:11 PM
You can get your refund. It depends on how much did you play it.

steam has an hour limit.

Check support and ask.

Not at all true.

They might make exceptions under certain extenuating circumstances, but that will be purely as a goodwill gesture. It is not the norm, and not your right at all. If you didn't check the requirements, and you installed or activated the game in ANY WAY, you are not entitled to refund, partially or in total.

However, as I've posted immediately above this, I'm sure the OP knows this by now as the post was several months ago. But for the benefit of others who may be reading, that is untrue information.

sinnsmd
11-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Hmm i understand your dissapointment bro but its actually your own fault, not meeting specs, your video card is under the requirements, so technically your the one at fault. Thats what steam will tell you.

Good luck tho :) i hope you work something out.