PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to get a sp/co-op DLC for Steel Storm?

motorsep
08-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Would you like to see a DLC for Steel Storm: Burning Retribution come to life, with cool story, new enemies and new levels ?

Single-player / Co-op oriented DLC

GODzillaGSPB
08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Ha, got you! The game already told me there is one coming...this is a catch question. :D

Anyway: Yessssssssssssssssssssss! Please. ^^

Nifran
08-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah sure would cant get enough of this game!!!

motorsep
08-12-2011, 11:40 AM
It all depends on how many people want the DLC. The game says it's coming because I really want to make it :)
However, we need at least 50k of users to buy it at the lowest price to make it worth development time and effort.

Borsook
08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Don't think that many people visit the forums :) But after HiB3 a lot of people have this game! That said I for one will buy the DLC, provided it is not more expensive than 5$.

motorsep
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Ofc not, it will be much cheaper than $5

KIAaze
08-13-2011, 06:12 AM
Would you like to see a DLC for Steel Storm: Burning Retribution come to life, with cool story, new enemies and new levels ?

At first I was going to answer "No, go make another cool game", but if you put it that way, I have to say "maybe".
i.e. in general: make another game or a good expansion/sequel. :)

cf http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1910377&page=3

motorsep
08-13-2011, 09:24 AM
The only way to get a new game going is through early access (kinda like pre-order, but you get to experience the game since it's early stages). Or if most of the Steel Storm users will buy the DLC :)

gr8Nutrition
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Ofc not, it will be much cheaper than $5

What kind of DLC will it be?

New levels and new enemies? Definitely 5$.

Magicka charges what, 3$ for a costume, some new weapons, and a single level?

KillMan64
08-29-2011, 05:38 AM
I would definitely like to see some DLC. Just bought the game myself and would love to see some stuff come from this.

rasitha_raw
09-11-2011, 08:32 AM
i say do some cosmetic dlc first, and sell them real cheap. Let people know that money is going for a expansion

Plumb_Drumb
09-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I have to say, with the in-game message I was looking forward to seeing what would be offered.
So obviously I am interested, but a couple new weapons would be welcome as well! :)

Nice game, though sometimes my ship gets caught on the edges of the levels and it kills me!
(happened three times so far and I only have 4 levels before I'm finished, so it's not a big deal).
Maybe let the smaller barrels and the like take less firepower to destroy.
A recharging turbo boost could also be nice, especially when you re-spawn at the beginning of a level as we do.

motorsep
09-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Hmm.. I am wondering how hard would it be to look at the poll and say yay or nay o_O
1k+ of users viewed this thread, however only 44 users voted in the poll. That is incomprehensible to me.

acare84
09-20-2011, 01:09 AM
DLC would be good but Steam Achievements would be awesome. Please add Steam Achievements. :)

KIAaze
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Hmm.. I am wondering how hard would it be to look at the poll and say yay or nay o_O
1k+ of users viewed this thread, however only 44 users voted in the poll. That is incomprehensible to me.

It might count some people multiple times, if they view the thread multiple times, people who have no steam account or didn't bother to log in to vote.
And I have not voted simply because I am not sure and it depends on too many parameters. Maybe there are more like me. :)

motorsep
09-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Bump..

Plumb_Drumb
09-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Well, I didn't vote because it was somewhere in between the two poll options.
I want to see what is offered before I make a decision to buy.

motorsep
09-25-2011, 08:05 AM
In what sense do you want to see what it offers? I believe I described shortly what's coming with the DLC in the first post :)

raz84
09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Sure!

jgilbert
10-02-2011, 11:39 AM
How can I sign up to get email when you guys come out with new games?

motorsep
10-02-2011, 08:11 PM
You can "Like" Steel Storm on Fb at http://www.facebook.com/steel.storm.game and also you can follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/#!/motorsep

motorsep
10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Almost done with mini DLC we decided to release first! It's small, but add interesting features. It will be dirt cheap.

The new maps are coming along, but since I want to make it better than original maps, I need more time to polish them. Therefore we need your support with that mini DLC!

motorsep
04-09-2012, 12:53 PM
bump one more time, for all new users of Steel Storm: burning Retribution :)

_Emo_
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Almost done with mini DLC we decided to release first! It's small, but add interesting features. It will be dirt cheap.

The new maps are coming along, but since I want to make it better than original maps, I need more time to polish them. Therefore we need your support with that mini DLC!

Good to know, thanks! :)

motorsep
05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I'd rather see you getting smart enough to find where controller is being enabled in the menu, before rating the game 0 on MetaCritic.

Meowthemouse
05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
In all honesty, I don't think people really care about this game anymore. While I personally would like to see a new dlc I don't think its the best choice.. Maybe a stand alone expansion or a sequel would be a better choice.

motorsep
05-12-2012, 05:18 PM
In all honesty, I don't think people really care about this game anymore. While I personally would like to see a new dlc I don't think its the best choice.. Maybe a stand alone expansion or a sequel would be a better choice.

What's standalone expansion? It's the same thing as DLC :)

Sequel is in works, Steel Storm 2. Although it's an FPS game.

Map pack is doable in a short period of time. I am would love to do Kickstarter, but I don't think I can make some impressive animated video for it in a month or so (and without some flashy cartoon I don't think a KS project has any chances).

GuardianOfSouls
05-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I have passed on this game repeatedly and probably will again.

All I want from it is Local Co-op (Couch Co-op) with another game controller. The demo was fun but that is what I would need to have out of this game as it would primarily be played soley with another person.

motorsep
05-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Not every game out there supports local coop. It's a PC game, not a console game ;)

Solution? Play online! The game supports coop, dm and ctf. Plus it has MOBA mod Towers of Doom. All you have to do is buy the game, buy DLC and gift your buddy with the same too (or find a buddy with the game). There are US and EU servers running, or you can run your very own dedicated server privately.

GuardianOfSouls
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
There are plenty of PC games that do. IE: Trine series, Lego series, Rayman Origins, All the EA Sports series, Dungeon Defenders, Dungeon Siege 3, Beat Hazard, Audiosurf, Magicka, etc.

Many of those have come out in the last eighteen months. Several of them come from small studios.

To say that PC shouldn't have as much local co-op as a console is just lazy game development. Simply put you pass it off because you don't want to do it.

What I'm saying is you have a good game, but I would only play it with someone in that capacity because its the type of game that suits the people I play local co-op with. And if you added that, I would definitely buy it. Hopefully if there are more games coming in this series you do add it.

Playing online is not a solution for wanting to play with a friend next to me. Nor is buying additional copies simply to play something that the developers are either misguided against or too lazy or too lethargic about putting in, which many developers of similar size have done.

All I'm doing is explaining that the demand is there and that other developers have done it. Some, continue to ignore it and they have had failures as a result. If you need an example, look at Hoard removing local co-op on PC and the resulting failure.

PS: Not every game is having developers come out and put out polls asking about what people want for DLC. Simply excusing off the demand is a great way to not make money.

motorsep
05-12-2012, 08:23 PM
First of all, let me make it clear, GuardianOfSouls. You don't own the game, and you have no plans for buying it (as you clearly stated above). That makes you a stranger here, a stranger who talks smack about my team and my game. Strangers don't belong here, on my forum. So get ready to be banned if you continue with that attitude.

Nevertheless, I will reply..

There are plenty of PC games that do. IE: Trine series, Lego series, Rayman Origins, All the EA Sports series, Dungeon Defenders, Dungeon Siege 3, Beat Hazard, Audiosurf, Magicka, etc.

All these games had funding behind them. We didn't.

Many of those have come out in the last eighteen months. Several of them come from small studios.

I doubt their teams are 2 men teams.

To say that PC shouldn't have as much local co-op as a console is just lazy game development. Simply put you pass it off because you don't want to do it.

That's called a limitation of the technology we use. Nothing more.

Playing online is not a solution for wanting to play with a friend next to me. Nor is buying additional copies simply to play something that the developers are either misguided against or too lazy or too lethargic about putting in, which many developers of similar size have done.

The solution is simple - buy another game and vent on the forum that comes with that game. Don't do it here.

All I'm doing is explaining that the demand is there and that other developers have done it. Some, continue to ignore it and they have had failures as a result. If you need an example, look at Hoard removing local co-op on PC and the resulting failure.

Are you a marketing and PR expert? How many games have you developed and released commercially? Probably none of the above.

You seem to think it's very easy to make games, and it's not. Especially when there are no money behind the development. I am sure Hoard didn't fail as you might think. Success is measured in relative terms. At first I though Steel Storm failed, until I talked to many other indies. When I saw their sales stats, I realized that Steel Storm is a success. I don't really care for your opinion because you are a speck of sand in the sea of gamers who love the game (or potentially will like it).

PS: Not every game is having developers come out and put out polls asking about what people want for DLC. Simply excusing off the demand is a great way to not make money.

You are simply a cocky jerk, who has no insight on why we do things a way we do them :p Our fans know why we poll for DLC. And that all that matters.

GuardianOfSouls
05-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I respect the honesty. Though, I did not resort to name calling, I simply stated my case other than an implication of lethargy. If you disagree that is your right.

I stated that I would be interested in buying the game if said feature was added. If you do not wish to have my business or it is not possible for you to add such a thing to your game that is understandable and I'm glad you explained that there is a technical limitation. Again however, I would be happy to support your team if there was a plan down the road to add such a feature either in this game or in a future title; Especially now that I am aware of the financial backing you need and the size of your team.

I will however take your advice, and take my business elsewhere after your reply.

I wish you and your company all the success in the world as its great to see more developers coming up themselves.

Good luck and hopefully this all works out for you and your team. :)

motorsep
05-12-2012, 09:46 PM
As I said, there is no way we can add that feature to the engine we are using. That's like adding something similar to UDK or Source (unless split screen feature is already implemented, which I recall isn't the case) - impossible due to the engine created and supported by another company, not to mention lack of source code (although we do have source of the engine, we are not programmers as far as graphical features go). Thus I wrote that you are not going to buy the game, because the feature you want to see is not going to make it into the game.

I don't expect people buying any game they don't like. I don't buy games I don't like.

Thanks for the wishes :)