PDA

View Full Version : will a better LAN card helps data traffic?

mademan
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
im using the onboard lan card for my server, if i use like 3Com or Netgear Lan cards will this help server connection speed?

Lady Racquel
12-14-2004, 04:06 AM
I'm not a technician, but in my experience those onboard cards do the job just as good, there should be no difference in connectionspeed, because they are all mostly 10/100 mbit and unless you have a 1000 mbit pipe (wish I had one :D), you don't need another networkcard.

JiggsCasey
12-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Lady Racquel
I'm not a technician, but in my experience those onboard cards do the job just as good, there should be no difference in connectionspeed, because they are all mostly 10/100 mbit and unless you have a 1000 mbit pipe (wish I had one :D), you don't need another networkcard.

True... Either they work completely, or they don't work at all.

zeee
12-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Not sure what your problem is, but you can experience problems when network cards have conflicting duplexes and media types. Most new network cards (sans 2002) with updated drivers should work fine with autoneg, however there may be some cases where this is not the case. For example, if you have a server you are concerned about (noticing drops or latency) check the statistics. You should see little to no CRC or frame errors. If you do see errors beyond say 2-3% you may want to hard code the card and the switch to 100BASE-TX and Full Duplex so that each end matches each other.