PDA

View Full Version : Speedrun-friendly game

Ph0X_b01
08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
First off, thank you for making a beautiful high quality version of this game. It looks gorgeous, the music is fantastic and the levels are great.

Before I make a fool of myself, is there any documentation on what keys do? In instruction, the game only shows the movement keys, but by pressing around, I found 1-4 that changes the zoom.

As a speedrunner, the main thing that bugs me is the lack of a quick restart button. Games like SMB screwed people over saying that "They don't want a key people could accidentally press", and that's honestly a horrible argument.

As someone who likes getting perfect runs, having to press escape, down, down, enter, and wait 3 seconds between each of my runs is really annoying. Very few games get this whole speedrun-friendly thing right, but you have no idea how happy it makes us when they do. It might sound like a small thing, but when you restart a level over 100 time, it gets really really annoying.

Thanks again,
Ph0X

thynth
08-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Didn't know about the zooming, will try this when I'm back home. :)
And a quick-restart-button would be nice, I agree. Maybe it's enough to put the restart option in the first place after pressing ESC?! :confused:

Ph0X_b01
08-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Didn't know about the zooming, will try this when I'm back home. :)
And a quick-restart-button would be nice, I agree. Maybe it's enough to put the restart option in the first place after pressing ESC?! :confused:

Like I said, that's ESC -> DPWN -> DOWN -> ENTER.

The difference between this and pressing a button might only be 1 second, but if you consider hundreds of restarts on hundreds of levels, it gets pretty big.

And it's not that big of a thing either, it's just a button binding that would make it so much better for us! Would really appreciate seeing it (:

ASecondOpinion
08-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Like I said, that's ESC -> DPWN -> DOWN -> ENTER.

The difference between this and pressing a button might only be 1 second, but if you consider hundreds of restarts on hundreds of levels, it gets pretty big.

And it's not that big of a thing either, it's just a button binding that would make it so much better for us! Would really appreciate seeing it (:

I think Enter would just be a better key. Or backspace. Or space...

You don't go anywhere near the space bar in game so why not make that a quick restart? :P
Having an option such as Restart as the first option in the pause menu is a VERY BIG mistake in terms of usability. ;)

hesselTwoTribes
08-15-2011, 08:23 AM
My spider senses tell me that shift+escape might do something in the next update :p

jonathanmcleod
08-15-2011, 08:26 AM
My spider senses tell me that shift+escape might do something in the next update :p

Trackmania, which has a similar scenario of having to respawn multiple times, has an excellent system where Enter/Return respawns to last checkpoint and Backspace takes you to the start of the level again. The implementation of this system would be ideal!

ASecondOpinion
08-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Trackmania, which has a similar scenario of having to respawn multiple times, has an excellent system where Enter/Return respawns to last checkpoint and Backspace takes you to the start of the level again. The implementation of this system would be ideal!

+1 on this :)

Ph0X_b01
08-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Yes, Trackmania is one of the few speedrun-friendly games I ever played. Also thank you for the update! You guys are great (: