PDA

View Full Version : Will this Game be better polished for PC this time?

Scorcher24
08-15-2011, 02:06 PM
I got SR2 gifted by a friend a few days ago and I fairly like it. But the vehicles are aweful -.-. And a bunch of other things that use to better on PC's normally.
So I really hope the third one will be better polished this time.

Nizzk
08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I got SR2 gifted by a friend a few days ago and I fairly like it. But the vehicles are aweful -.-. And a bunch of other things that use to better on PC's normally.
yeah, saints row 2 was actually ported by a third party. this time around they said they wanted to make the pc version just as good and are handling it themselves.

NanoIce
08-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Yup, Nizzk is correct. And just in additional, Saints Row 2 were ported by CD Projekt Localisation Centre last time, which is a very irresponsible PC port team, now if you visit Saints Row offcial website, Volition(Saints Row series' developer) saying they were unhappy with the work by CDPR last time, and Volition promised to say that they have in-house PC team develope the game, which mean all three platform "PC, 360, PS3" will be parallel developed this time. WITH NO SUCKS PORT, that is what they mean

*Edited*
Changed CDPR to CDPLC

Scorcher24
08-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for answers, lets hope the best.
I try to enjoy SR2, but it makes it very hard to do so.
Unbelieveable, that this was made by CDPR, hence The Witcher.

hahahehe
08-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Stil, look at the mess of RFG and that was ported by Volition themselves, hardly instils confidence.

IdolNinja
08-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Stil, look at the mess of RFG and that was ported by Volition themselves, hardly instils confidence.

Except that RFG wasn't ported by Volition. The port was done by Reactor Zero.

NanoIce
08-17-2011, 05:27 PM

As IdolNinja says, anyway, have you played RF:A? I really dont think so, else u wont says Volition's PC teams sucks, They did a great job in RF:A.

JKflipflop
08-17-2011, 05:27 PM
RFA was done by Volition themselves, and it runs buttery smooth with no glitches.

Cedge
08-19-2011, 11:26 PM
And just in additional, Saints Row 2 were ported by CD Projekt Red last time, which is a very irresponsible PC port team,
No, it wasn't. SR2 was ported to PC by CD Projekt Localisation Centre, a different division of the same parent company that also owns the CD Projekt RED studio, which created The Witcher and The Witcher 2 (both of which are incredible games). They're entirely separate teams, that just share the same corporate parent. CDProjekt RED is CDProjekt's original productions studio, not a port house.

So, to summarize:
- Saints Row 2 was ported to PC by a team at CDProjekt (but NOT the same people that made The Witcher games)
- Red Faction: Guerrilla was ported to PC by Reactor Zero
- Red Faction: Armageddon was ported to PC in-house by Volition
- Saints Row: The Third will be ported to PC in-house by Volition

Whatever problems there were with SR2 and RFG on PC shouldn't be blamed on Volition, because they didn't handle those releases themselves. The only recent PC game they can be directly judged for was RFA, which by most accounts was fine on PC, so that's a good sign for the PC version of SR3.

NanoIce
08-20-2011, 01:50 AM
@Cedge
Cool, thanks for the DETAILED information, I edited already, I made that post bcuz what I heard was, CD Projekt, so that's why I assume it was CDPR, since the only company I knew that starts with CDP was only CDPR. My MISTAKE, cheers!

Cedge
08-20-2011, 10:01 AM
@Cedge
Cool, thanks for the DETAILED information, I edited already, I made that post bcuz what I heard was, CD Projekt, so that's why I assume it was CDPR, since the only company I knew that starts with CDP was only CDPR. My MISTAKE, cheers!

Cheers. :) I just didn't want to see CDProjektRED, which is an amazingly talented team that has created one of the absolute best PC games in years (The Witcher 2) and who deserve a ton of credit for their amazingly dedicated work, inaccurately confused with "a very irresponsible PC port team."

LaptopNut
08-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Have you tried playing it with the GOTR Mod?

Scorcher24
08-20-2011, 04:35 PM
What does that Mod do?
And do you have some links maybe?

IdolNinja
08-20-2011, 05:35 PM
What does that Mod do?
And do you have some links maybe?

http://www.idolninja.com/sr2.php

^Has everything you need to know about the Gentlemen of the Row (GotR) mod including videos.

I would highly recommend grabbing the latest v1.9 beta instead of the stable v1.8. You can safely ignore the beta warnings since it's extremely stable and just a couple features away from a final release.
http://idolninja.com/betadl.php

Xabu
08-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Look on the bright side, there's no way it could be less polished.

Scorcher24
08-20-2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.idolninja.com/sr2.php

^Has everything you need to know about the Gentlemen of the Row (GotR) mod including videos.

I would highly recommend grabbing the latest v1.9 beta instead of the stable v1.8. You can safely ignore the beta warnings since it's extremely stable and just a couple features away from a final release.
http://idolninja.com/betadl.php

Na, won't use that.
It adds too much. Bugfixes and improvements are welcome, but I heavily dislike mods that add tons of unwanted stuff.
And I guess mostly of the new things are horribly overpowered, making the game too easy.

Like Stalker Complete Mod. Why can't they just include new textures? Why does every NPC need an extra cheating dialog?

Such Mods negativly impact the gaming experience.

IdolNinja
08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Except that all the powerful new stuff in the mod is locked until end game by default. The rest of the new things like outfits are seamlessly integrated into the games as unlocks.

The installer/builder lets you choose a lot of extra options that are additional to the base build like open cheats, money, etc. It's not something that's in the mod proper. In fact, the mod has been carefully balanced and tweaked with a lot of care so that nothing breaks the game in any way with the base build.

Substancer
08-24-2011, 04:38 PM
I use GotR (gamepad version) and it works fantastic. It doesn't screw up the balance of the game at all IMO. I first discovered it when I encountered a nasty bug at the airport mission, which this suite of mods fixes.

I'm using 1.8 though. Is there a list of changes that 1.9b has? Just curious what the difference is and why it's better.

Me2nice
08-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Look on the bright side, there's no way it could be less polished.

Actually, there is.

IdolNinja
08-24-2011, 05:06 PM
I use GotR (gamepad version) and it works fantastic. It doesn't screw up the balance of the game at all IMO. I first discovered it when I encountered a nasty bug at the airport mission, which this suite of mods fixes.

I'm using 1.8 though. Is there a list of changes that 1.9b has? Just curious what the difference is and why it's better.

The latest v1.9 beta has had almost a full year's worth of fixes and content and includes tons of new texture work, cribs, homies, cheats, and even new missions. It's also rock solid stable and almost ready for release. I just need to finish up the last half of one of the new missions and finalize it.

I don't have a feature list, but the download is only 30Mb. Just grab it and check out the included changelog. It's absolutely massive in scope. My recommendation is to leave the old and outdated v1.8 behind and grab the new v1.9 beta asap.

xspy40
08-25-2011, 01:10 PM
I think its a success that Im running Saints Row 2 on highest graffics and no lag except car twiches.

spyrochaete
09-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Saint's Row 2 was such a mess on PC that I don't think I'll buy another Volition game, not without a ton of very high reviews from PC games journalists.

It's so sad that the company responsible for Descent could fall so far in QA. I don't care if they outsourced the PC version of SR2 - Volition's name is on it and I hold them directly responsible for that buggy mess.

CaptainDingo
09-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Please don't call them journalists, there's nothing journalistic about what they do. All they do is suck up to big-budget games and pass out predictable scores to a gullible mainstream while ignoring the indie development community altogether.

At any rate, it doesn't matter that they made the decision to outsource it, because they weren't the ones who did any of the work on it, therefore it's simply a fact that it's not reflective of their abilities.

Granted, yeah, Volition is in the pockets of the consoles just like most other large developers these days, but they seem serious about making up for the SR2 fiasco, so they're obviously not soulless.

phillibl
09-01-2011, 11:21 AM
I completely agree they feel bad about SR2 and want to make up for it. Outsourcing ports happens with a lot of games its just usually done better than CD Projekt did. Hell the pc version Deus Ex HR was outsourced and it seemed to have turned out pretty wel.