PDA

View Full Version : Game Modes?

Pyote
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I was curious if there'd been any official word on game modes. I was pretty sure there'd be the run-of-the-mill Easy-Very Hard, but I meant more along the lines of a Hardcore mode (like from New Vegas), requiring eating and drinking and maybe taking away this replenishing health I've heard about (not sure if that in itself is a rumor or not).

It'd be nice, I think, if there was.

fenix4142004
08-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd like to know too, hardcore mod sounds like it'd be fun with TES, I don't think I ever played hardcore on NV but if I ever play it again I'd want to try it. Hardcore would make it interesting. But if it doesn't have it I wont be too sad.

dannythefool
08-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I only played NV in hardcore mode. I stuck with it because it got rid of instant stimpack healing and I liked ammo having weight. Eating, drinking and sleeping was kind of pointless though, just extra clicks for trivial actions. There's never not enough food or water, and the sleep requirement seemed very relaxed (probably for the better anyway, interrupting the game flow too often doesn't typically make a game more enjoyable). I'm not sure it would work so well in a TES setting. Ammo already has weight, anyway, at least if they didn't change that in Skyrim, and healing never seemed unbalanced to me.

Lone_Sword
08-17-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't feel as though hardcore mode would fit TES that well. I always place hardcore mode where you need food/water/etc with some sort of post-apocalyptic world or a zombie survival game. I'd imagine it would interrupt the flow of almost any quest, especially the really long ones :/

varagix
08-17-2011, 02:02 AM
I don't feel as though hardcore mode would fit TES that well. I always place hardcore mode where you need food/water/etc with some sort of post-apologetic world or a zombie survival game. I'd imagine it would interrupt the flow of almost any quest, especially the really long ones :/

Well, it is a rather harsh looking semi-arctic environment, at least in places. But yeah, I'd agree for the most part. And honestly, it wouldn't be hard to mod in. There are several food/drink/rest mods out for Oblivion (in addition to other "immersion" mods), so I don't see why Skyrim won't get a few once it comes out and the modders got their hands on the toolset for a little while.

Really, all I want, game mode wise, is a difficulty slider. I can't seem to remember if there was one in Oblivion. I honestly didn't feel a need to go looking for it; combat difficulty was kinda erratic sometimes at low levels, anyways, so tweeking it constantly probably wouldn't have helped much. There was one in Morrowind, though, and I almost always turned it up to about a quarter from max when I played it.

dannythefool
08-17-2011, 02:46 AM
Really, all I want, game mode wise, is a difficulty slider. I can't seem to remember if there was one in Oblivion.

Yes, there is one in Oblivion.

Morfolk
08-17-2011, 08:54 AM
I was curious if there'd been any official word on game modes. I was pretty sure there'd be the run-of-the-mill Easy-Very Hard, but I meant more along the lines of a Hardcore mode (like from New Vegas)

probably not in the box itself but someone will develop something like it I guess

I remember thinking Oblivion was too easy so I installed 2 mods that were upping the difficulty which ended up multiplying it.
My first rat kill took me about 40 minutes simply because I wasn't able to hit and when I did rat felt no pain :(

Lone_Sword
08-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I remember thinking Oblivion was too easy so I installed 2 mods that were upping the difficulty which ended up multiplying it.

You bumped up the difficulty slider and still thought it was too easy O.o?

Micknator
08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
You bumped up the difficulty slider and still thought it was too easy O.o?

Hardcore mode FTW?