PDA

View Full Version : Super EPIC Guild Wars 2 trailer from GamesCom!

SrpntXTongue
08-17-2011, 03:20 AM
The video be here:
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/videos/
Ah, it's so intense! Yessss!?

They also released some PvP news:
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/pvp/pvp-overview/
http://www.arena.net/blog/the-battle-of-khylo-jonathan-sharp-on-pvp

We should see a ton of cam footage during the next few days of character creation (in detail! SLIDERS!) and PvP, among other things. There are a few videos out from the show floor, but whoever playing is terrible. Not worth viewing yet! Thought I'd share my excitement with people who probably don't care. ;)

*UPDATE*
Here's the demo they were showing off today!
Another one of their dragon boss fights.
http://gamescom.gamespot.com/video/6329839/guild-wars-2-demo

A little bit of character creation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ryn_E-ug4

FireKingX
08-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Now THAT is a trailer!

Damn can't wait!

velvetmeds
08-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Yep, gonna be awesome.

Omphofo-Bravo
08-17-2011, 10:37 AM
A crap load of artwork has gone into this game, it's insane.

- insanely gorgeous.

GirlPower23
08-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Looks good, a lot of NCSoft influence in that game now. I would give it a try if they were not trying to kill the Holy Trinity.

Son, I am derp
08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
This is the game people should be looking to for the future of the MMO, not SWTOR.

Baron_Fel
08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
This is the game people should be looking to for the future of the MMO, not SWTOR.

lmao.

T@F
08-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Tbh i'm sick of seeing teasers.
I just want the game to be released.

SeanHraefn
08-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I was a lot more excited for this until the Rockpapershotgun article.

They said it was good and all, but they said instead of fixing all the problems with the MMO genre like they set out to do, they instead just hid them very very well, but the problems are still there.

For example, they said the combat is really flashy, but when you break down the mechanics of the combat it's still pretty standard, just with a lot of visual flare and some added action bits.

I think I'm just done with MMOs personally.

Pixel Knight
08-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Guild Wars is really the only MMO I'm willing to play right now. Hopefully when I buy the second one I can actually get a
group going.

Jderz
08-17-2011, 12:48 PM
I was a lot more excited for this until the Rockpapershotgun article.

They said it was good and all, but they said instead of fixing all the problems with the MMO genre like they set out to do, they instead just hid them very very well, but the problems are still there.

For example, they said the combat is really flashy, but when you break down the mechanics of the combat it's still pretty standard, just with a lot of visual flare and some added action bits.

I think I'm just done with MMOs personally.

Thats too bad. I was willing to give the MMO scene another shot because of this game.

SeanHraefn
08-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Thats too bad. I was willing to give the MMO scene another shot because of this game.

You could still like it, it's just that I've always found combat the weakest link in MMOs and I was hoping for a true action experience without targeting or auto-curving spells and stuff.

Jderz
08-17-2011, 12:59 PM
You could still like it, it's just that I've always found combat the weakest link in MMOs and I was hoping for a true action experience without targeting or auto-curving spells and stuff.

My sentiments exactly. I could never get into mmos because of that. It never seems to change and I don't expect it to change anytime soon unless a game is highly instanced. Otherwise I just find them to be number key games chasing a carrot on a stick. I could live with a little grinding if the gameplay actually involved more input.

Son, I am derp
08-17-2011, 01:30 PM
lmao.

Did I hurt the big bad Star Wars fans' feelings, or did you feel it necessary to post something utterly vague and uninformative?

Cocacola123
08-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Damn, looks like fun.

kalirion
08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
A crap load of artwork has gone into this game, it's insane.

- insanely gorgeous.

I actually have to disagree as far as the character models are concerned. They look fine standing still, but as soon as there's any movement they start looking very flimsy, like they're made with silk sheets stretched on top of a mesh. There's just no "solidity" there.

Baron_Fel
08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Did I hurt the big bad Star Wars fans' feelings, or did you feel it necessary to post something utterly vague and uninformative?

I was laughing at what you said about GW2 having more promise than SWTOR. Thats not vague lol.

Bioware > all

Jderz
08-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Bioware > all

Go back to your gay dwarf sex simulators :p

kalirion
08-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I was laughing at what you said about GW2 having more promise than SWTOR. Thats not vague lol.

Bioware > all

SWTOR = WoW with lasers and light sabers. Will it be good enough to draw the WoW crowd? Who knows.

Baron_Fel
08-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Morrigan is all I need :D

SWTOR = WoW with lasers and light sabers. Will it be good enough to draw the WoW crowd? Who knows.

I couldnt care less about the WoW crowd, I want all that KOTOR story and choice in a multiplayer environment.

kalirion
08-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Morrigan is all I need :D

I couldnt care less about the WoW crowd, I want all that KOTOR story and choice in a multiplayer environment.

So this has you salivating then? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPsuhyN9fTU

SeanHraefn
08-17-2011, 03:50 PM

My dwarf ♥♥♥♥ed the ♥♥♥♥ out of that elf assassin.

It wasn't gay, it was DOMINANCE.

IcarusNine
08-17-2011, 03:53 PM

It's like World of Warcraft and Too Human had a baby!
/first impressions

Summer Seal
08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
This game is going to be trash, and they even admit it.

"Be sure that you don’t run into a 1v2 or 1v3 just because the enemy is holding a capture point you want to take. "

This means their combat mechanics act as a bottleneck for skilled players, any mmo where your skill effects your performance where it matters most means a player could actually survive or win a 1vs3.

I played Asheron's Call, and I could take out an entire guild alone. Still no MMO can match Darktide of Asheron's Call.

SeanHraefn
08-17-2011, 04:03 PM

"Be sure that you donít run into a 1v2 or 1v3 just because the enemy is holding a capture point you want to take. "

This means their combat mechanics act as a bottleneck for skilled players, any mmo where your skill effects your performance where it matters most means a player could actually survive or win a 1vs3.

I played Asheron's Call, and I could take out an entire guild alone.

I love watching old DAOC videos of a group of 6 guys in a guild taking out a zerg of 50 guys like it was nothing.

The old days are gone, unfortunately.

Summer Seal
08-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I love watching old DAOC videos of a group of 6 guys in a guild taking out a zerg of 50 guys like it was nothing.

The old days are gone, unfortunately.

The old game mechanics, in which games put an emphasis on Mobility as Defense, has most certainly been extinguished to accommodate the low skill of the masses.

I only played DAOC briefly back in the day, but I was still very much into asheron's call, so I never even got the chance to experience the game mechanics.

In asheron's call you could DODGE (yes, literally dodge, as in, move out of the way) arrows, spells, etc. And being very skilled at twitch gaming, I was able to pick off members of a guild one by one, even as they all surrounded and attacked me at the same time. They all felt so confident in such great numbers, they were careless.

This required good spatial awareness, extremely quick fingers and an adrenaline rush, which I most definitely acquired everytime I got in a pvp fight (I was a kid, lol, didn't want to lose my stuff when I died). So those consumed my days from age 10-17 lol.

SeanHraefn
08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
DAOC was a little more like a traditional MMO in the movement and targeting, but the real skill came in massive amounts of skill synergy. This allowed the coordinated guild to destroy the uncoordinated zerg with ease.

The game had pretty much zero 1 v 1 balance though, as normal melee attacks interrupted spell casting, so any melee class that managed to close on a caster probably won. It was all about the massive keep battles.

surendre91
08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Regarding graphics the game is ok and visually it's great.
However, the targeting system has indeed put me off a little to buy this game. With no targeting system, the actual positioning of yourself and your teammates would be crucial.
Now positioning is only needed when you want to make use of a firewall for example to ignite your arrows if you are a ranger. The arrows will go towards the target nonetheless with the targeting system. Not much of skill in that.
If it was otherwise, where you actually had to aim yourself and calculate the distance, based on the angle of the bow and the force applied on the string, of your arrows' flight, then it would've been more skillful. But I guess to make it less of a hassle for both developers and casual gamers, they reinvented the targeted system that was also used in Guild Wars 1.
I see far more potentional in a non-targeting system, where the physics, material and form of weaponry concludes the damage given or taken.

However, the game will be enjoyable for at least for many gamers and I'm glad Arenanet tries to make Guild Wars 2 quite different from other MMORPGs.
The artwork is outstanding.

General Balls
08-17-2011, 05:19 PM
I've never really been enticed by MMOs, and the only two that had a chance to draw me in were EVE and GW2. EVE I simply did not have the time for, GW2 still looks interesting. Still undecided.

Bioware > all

Five years ago I would have understood this position (though not agreed, I was in the middle of my Valve love affair then), but given recent events, I don't see how anyone could have much faith in Bioware at all.

SeanHraefn
08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
There's still a significant number of people who liked DA2 just fine, and many who think ME2 was the better game compared to ME1.

I really enjoy DA2, the combat is visceral and satisfying, I like the dialogue and characters. Sure, they reuse the same zone far too many times, but to me that's just background to the story and combat.

Excygy
08-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Can't say if Guild Wars 2 is a great mmo or not. But at least we know it's free per month and....

it got one of the best visual character/environment DESIGN I've seen in a MMO. Creatures are beautiful, original, varied, and environment are dynamic and hue and magnificent.

Even in GW 1.

Baron_Fel
08-17-2011, 06:18 PM

not really, trailers with music, atmosphere, and story do it better. Like the stuff from like E3 2010.

Five years ago I would have understood this position (though not agreed, I was in the middle of my Valve love affair then), but given recent events, I don't see how anyone could have much faith in Bioware at all.

There's still a significant number of people who liked DA2 just fine, and many who think ME2 was the better game compared to ME1.

I really enjoy DA2, the combat is visceral and satisfying, I like the dialogue and characters. Sure, they reuse the same zone far too many times, but to me that's just background to the story and combat.

DA2 was great. Should have been more varied but the combat was fun as anything. ME2 vastly improved combat over ME1, could have been more of an actual RPG but thats being fixed in ME3 so Id say Bioware is doing great atm.

kalirion
08-17-2011, 06:46 PM
not really, trailers with music, atmosphere, and story do it better. Like the stuff from like E3 2010.

Ah, you mean the trailers that show no actual gameplay, right?

Shadoww0lf
08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
RIP TERA.. we never knew you.

Draek
08-17-2011, 06:53 PM

"Be sure that you donít run into a 1v2 or 1v3 just because the enemy is holding a capture point you want to take. "

I played Asheron's Call, and I could take out an entire guild alone. Still no MMO can match Darktide of Asheron's Call.

"Could" != "Probably will". In Guild Wars you *can* win an 1v3, I've seen it happen and, in fact, I've been on both sides of the "event" so to speak. It's just rare, for the same reasons they're rare in any well-balanced FPS, RTS or RPG: it's three against freaking one.

If you could pull it off consistently, either your skills were far beyond the average for the game, the game was horribly unbalanced, or you had an incredible advantage you weren't aware of (such as a <50ms ping). I'm sure you know which ones I think were more likely.

velvetmeds
08-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Seriously, this went into ME, SWTOR, DA, and EA discussion without me being here? How rude not to invite me.

Actually, nevermind that. SWTOR has got nothing on GW2. The rest of the games don't belong in this discussion... >_>

Finalwish
08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
This looks a lot better than SWTOR at the moment. Every new trailer and gameplay vid I see of SWTOR just makes it look less and less interesting. Sure the dialogue is great but that doesnt carry a game. It just looks like a bland version of WoW (and that is already damn bland)

Either way, Guild Wars 2 is shaping up pretty nicely. and no monthly fees just means anyone can give it a go.

Smertnik
08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
I've grown pretty tired of the standard fantasy stuff and I've never been into muhmorpegers, so this title doesn't interest me in the slightest.
TOR is pretty fun, though, I could imagine buying that.

SrpntXTongue
08-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Updating main post with a video of the demo they were showing off today!

markcocjin
08-18-2011, 02:06 AM
It looks really nice except for the hair bit. It just freaks me out that these people living in a savage land can have time or resources to come up with hairspray for their Emo hairdo.

This game just reminds me how much it is a Korean MMO. I bet all these western designers send their character designs to the head office of NCSoft only to get a quick reply asking for more Korean hair.

Draek
08-18-2011, 02:28 AM
After seeing the dragon boss video, I am officially in love.

Damn, and I thought the first one had gotten me addicted.

FireKingX
08-18-2011, 03:00 AM
So much negativity in this thread. Gamers...

Ah well I know I'll love it, just like the first is my favourite online RPG :)

Baron_Fel
08-18-2011, 05:38 AM
Ah, you mean the trailers that show no actual gameplay, right?

nope, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nqdbiy3bE).