PDA

View Full Version : Are beam weapons just so much better?

Max9999
08-17-2011, 07:38 AM
I seen to have problem using weapons like cannons, they miss quite abit and I am not sure they are doing enough damage, are beams the default best weapons to put on all ships ?

blorf
08-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Cannons actually tend to do a lot more damage, but are harder to aim. I personally fit cannons on ships with turrets and let the AI aim for me. :)

Also in general beams are super effective against shields
cannons against armor
and explosives (missiles etc) against hull.

But they are all super effective especially against living things.

Ramius
08-17-2011, 07:43 AM
You'll get used to it. The AI is often ungodly good with cannons however, so if you can't get the hang of it, just put them on the AI controlled ships ;)

However a cloaked ship with Disruptor Cannon (or similiar) rips through shields and has a good chance to even stun enemies.

blorf
08-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Klingon!

Ardbug
08-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Im doing a game right now without beams at all, at tech level 6 for cannons you can equip that ion cannon thingy, it will absolutely ruin shields, so you can certainly do without beams at all.
But if its your first playthrough I would suggest going heavy on beams, they tend to do extremely well since they are much easier to aim and do consistent damage.

Efrizial
08-17-2011, 08:05 AM
if you upgrade cannon it's become much better as the speed increase , and cannon do pretty much all , armor/hull/shield/all-around/bypass armor/stun only miss a leech cannon ^.^ the beam are only good against shield , and breaking a shield is not really hard usually it's the armor that take the more shot(im interested in the health pool of the armor)

Stayenalive
08-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Klingon!

+1

You're doing it right.

Ardbug
08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
+1

You're doing it right.

+8 for spotting it :)

Stayenalive
08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
I seen to have problem using weapons like cannons, they miss quite abit and I am not sure they are doing enough damage, are beams the default best weapons to put on all ships ?

Pardon my inefficient posting, but you'll notice the need for beams vs cannons later.

Weapons damage at the start is minimal, and slow. You will do better if you use cannons at the start, but beams are more effective because it's easier to hit the little ships.

Optimal config at the start would be to put beams on your main ship, and cannons on the ships you let the AI use.

Use R to change ship targets, and use the tactic screen to make sure the other ships have their AI set to follow you.

Later in the game, the ships get bigger and cannons hit big ships (that have more health/hull/armor) easier.

Mizery
08-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Klingon!

Lol. That's hilarious.

Knife70
08-18-2011, 02:55 AM
I have the very same problem on using cannons.

The weird thing is that AI is preferring beams too (ie it is quite more efficent).

I have also noted a weird thing (I am playing this game at 1280x960).

Try to equip a Yacht with 2 frontal beams, and try to fire to a small object (like asteroids). I always hit it only with 1 beam.

The weird thing is that it's always the same one (like if there was some small pointing problem).

Ardbug
08-18-2011, 03:07 AM
I have also noted a weird thing (I am playing this game at 1280x960).

Try to equip a Yacht with 2 frontal beams, and try to fire to a small object (like asteroids). I always hit it only with 1 beam.

The weird thing is that it's always the same one (like if there was some small pointing problem).

Try tapping the mouse button instead of holding it down, that way you fire off one beam at a time :)