PDA

View Full Version : 5 reasons to BOYCOTT Ubisoft! (Mistrust)

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Facts:

They said internet connection will be required only first time - LIE. It's always required!
They listed minimal specs for the game and LIED. Those specs had nothing to do with real minimum requirements posted later. Many people can't play because of that.
The game is NOT ported to PC. It simply LAUNCHES on PC, sometimes without crashing. 30 FPS cap (xbox), no gfx settings (xbox), no control config (xbox), no use of AntiAliasing or other bare basics.
The game is very short - the fact that they didn't have to specifically state, but still - it's indirect cheating of customers. Imagine you buy a printer that dies after printing 200 sheets (Epson?) - you'd feel cheated right?
Requires a new account at Ubisoft - once again, an "unexpected extra" that's a big issue for some people.

The consistent disregard for customer complaints about the DRM system that Ubisoft has shown leads me to believe that From Dust is the last straw.

I am boycotting this publisher, and I mean it. And I hope that Ubisoft fires the sons-of-♥♥♥♥♥es that decided to implement such a system and then ignore the pleas of the customers.
After that, it'd be nice to hear a "We're sorry, we were wrong, no more DRM from now on, and we'll quality check every game that we publish before asking for your money".

Those are my conditions, Ubisoft. And I know I'm not alone.

simon_brown75
08-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Just gonna pick you up on a couple of those points - firstly the game isn't that short considering it's price. I watched my brother play the whole game through on the 360 and it's a reasonable length if you do the challenges as well. It's longer than Portal 2 or Bulletstorm and they cost 2-3x as much at launch.

As for claiming it's not a port, you don't seem to understand what port means. The 360 code untouched wouldn't even run on a PC. The game is a port - that's the problem, it's just a minimum effort port. What's it's not is a proper PC version.

Agree with you on the other stuff though.

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Just gonna pick you up on a couple of those points - firstly the game isn't that short considering it's price. I watched my brother play the whole game through on the 360 and it's a reasonable length if you do the challenges as well. It's longer than Portal 2 or Bulletstorm and they cost 2-3x as much at launch.

As for claiming it's not a port, you don't seem to understand what port means. The 360 code untouched wouldn't even run on a PC. The game is a port - that's the problem, it's just a minimum effort port. What's it's not is a proper PC version.

Agree with you on the other stuff though.

Regarding length - that's all relative I guess. I just miss old games like Deus Ex 1 that took weeks to properly finish.

Regarding the port - believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I'm a programmer myself, and trust me - properly "porting" something to a different platform requires a lot more than making it launch and run.
It requires modifying the software package - making use of functionality that that platform offers (in this case - gfx options, control config, AA, etc), removing features that do not apply (30 fps cap).

I still stand by my definition of porting - see Deus Ex HR details for a good example of a PC port.
From Dust is not ported. They simply released an alpha build that launches on PC without crashing.

Blue Thunder
08-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Regarding length - that's all relative I guess. I just miss old games like Deus Ex 1 that took weeks to properly finish.

Regarding the port - believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I'm a programmer myself, and trust me - properly "porting" something to a different platform requires a lot more than making it launch and run.
It requires modifying the software package - making use of functionality that that platform offers (in this case - gfx options, control config, AA, etc), removing features that do not apply (30 fps cap).

I still stand by my definition of porting - see Deus Ex HR details for a good example of a PC port.
From Dust is not ported. They simply released an alpha build that launches on PC without crashing.

I don't agree there... From Dust IS a port. The thing is that this game is NOT properly ported.

They just took the xbox version and made a few modifications so it runs on windows, that's all. That already makes it a port to PC... a BAD port, but it still is a port.

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I don't agree there... From Dust IS a port. The thing is that this game is NOT properly ported.

They just took the xbox version and made a few modifications so it runs on windows, that's all. That already makes it a port to PC... a BAD port, but it still is a port.

I guess it depends on your expectations and how you define the word.

Let's not miss the main point here.

Blue Thunder
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I guess it depends on your expectations and how you define the word.

Let's not miss the main point here.

Agreed, I learnt my lesson. Never buying a game by Ubisoft again.

Earthworm James
08-18-2011, 09:22 PM

It's not out yet, that's just marketing, we'll see if devs lied or they were right when they release the game.

Btw, the DRM was enough for me to skip the game

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
It's not out yet, that's just marketing, we'll see if devs lied or they were right when they release the game.

Unless they lied, they will show everyone just how PC porting should be done.
http://pc.mmgn.com/News/Deus-Ex-dev-talks-PC-exclusive-features

Listen
08-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Unless they lied, they will show everyone just how PC porting should be done.
http://pc.mmgn.com/News/Deus-Ex-dev-talks-PC-exclusive-features

I think you don't understand the definition of the word "port"

The Deus Ex game for PC is NOT a port! It is being developed simultaneously by another team for the PC platform from the ground up.

A Port is when a game is created strictly for a single platform, and then ported to another platforn and must be modified to run on the new platform. Limbo, is a port. Created for the XBOX and the ported over to the PC a year later...

From Dust, is a port. A shoddy, unoptimized poorly conceived emulator running the XBOX game on Windows.

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 09:52 PM
I think you don't understand the definition of the word "port"

The Deus Ex game for PC is NOT a port! It is being developed simultaneously by another team for the PC platform from the ground up.

A Port is when a game is created strictly for a single platform, and then ported to another platforn and must be modified to run on the new platform. Limbo, is a port. Created for the XBOX and the ported over to the PC a year later...

From Dust, is a port. A shoddy, unoptimized poorly conceived emulator running the XBOX game on Windows.

I think you misunderstand the main point of this thread.
Let's argue next about the word "PC". What IS a PC, and what isn't. Very interesting conversation as well. NOT.

tretoso
08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Some points are legit but, by now, the word boycott don’t have any relevant meaning in gaming industry.

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Some points are legit but, by now, the word boycott donít have any relevant meaning in gaming industry.

Why not?

For example when AC3 comes out, I'll use... other means of obtaining it, rather than buying.
Whereas when something interesting from, say, Eidos, comes out - I'll definitely consider buying. I'm liking how they're treating PC gamers so far.

Umfafa
08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Agreed, I learnt my lesson. Never buying a game by Ubisoft again.

I'm taking that one step further....no more Steam purchases either.

Going back to Amazon to wait that hideous 3 days for delivery, and that way at least I'll have a disk to sell if it's garbage.

Did you know if you do a charge-back for a faulty product, sold under false pretenses......that Steam will delete your account and you'll lose every other game you've purchased through them?

Food for thought.

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Did you know if you do a charge-back for a faulty product, sold under false pretenses......that Steam will delete your account and you'll lose every other game you've purchased through them?

Food for thought.

Jesus... If that's true - that's freaking insane. You're scaring me.

evil_buddy
08-18-2011, 10:07 PM
I didn't even buy this game, and it makes me upset. Ubisoft has been flipping off their paying customers for far too long, and should NOT be supported no matter how great the games they do put out (not referring to this one).

Nerv603
08-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Some points are legit but, by now, the word boycott donít have any relevant meaning in gaming industry.

Why not?

For example when AC3 comes out, I'll use... other means of obtaining it, rather than buying.
Whereas when something interesting from, say, Eidos, comes out - I'll definitely consider buying. I'm liking how they're treating PC gamers so far.

Watch this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3857-BOYCOTT and you may get a bit of an idea.

Umfafa
08-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Jesus... If that's true - that's freaking insane. You're scaring me.

Tell me about it. Dozens and dozens of games on this account. Make a stink about one 15 dollar game and lose them all.

Sounds a lot like extortion to me.

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Watch this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3857-BOYCOTT and you may get a bit of an idea.

As much as this guy is unpleasant to look at and listen to, he's absolutely right.
And indeed, I had to pause and think about this. Yet, I came to a conclusion that although From Dust is a stupid little game and not by itself a reason enough for boycott.. The consistent disregard for customer complaints about the DRM system that Ubisoft has shown leads me to believe that, at least for me, From Dust is the last straw.

I AM boycotting that publisher, and I mean it. And I hope that Ubisoft fires the sons-of-♥♥♥♥♥es that decided to implement such a system and then ignore the pleas of the customers. After that, it'd be nice to hear a "We're sorry, we were wrong, no more DRM from now on, and we'll quality check every game that we publish before asking for your money".

tretoso
08-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Why not?

Because every day there is some sort of "let's do the boycott"

Boycott because isn't dark enough
Boycott because is to grey
Boycott because the sequel was announced
Boycott because isn't plans for a sequel
Boycott because there is DLC
Boycott because the game don't recive support after launch
Boycott, Boycott, Boycott...

Even when are legit reasons for a boycott, like in Modern Warfare 2, people can't stick to it and 2 days after the launch they are already plying the game. Look at you! "other means of obtaining it" WTF! Boycott is boycott! Isnít such thing like demiboycott. More piracy is just more one reason to use more aggressive DRM. Lol, even the boycotters canít be true to the boycott.

Umfafa
08-18-2011, 10:45 PM
As much as this guy is unpleasant to look at and listen to, he's absolutely right.
And indeed, I had to pause and think about this. Yet, I came to a conclusion that although From Dust is a stupid little game and not by itself a reason enough for boycott.. The consistent disregard for customer complaints about the DRM system that Ubisoft has shown leads me to believe that, at least for me, From Dust is the last straw.

I AM boycotting that publisher, and I mean it. And I hope that Ubisoft fires the sons-of-♥♥♥♥♥es that decided to implement such a system and then ignore the pleas of the customers. After that, it'd be nice to hear a "We're sorry, we were wrong, no more DRM from now on, and we'll quality check every game that we publish before asking for your money".

If this had a like button, I would have just pressed it.

This 15 dollar game was the straw. I've put up with a crappy release (Assassin's Creed 2) that would not run on my computer. How did I deal? Uninstalled it after about 4 minutes of play and never mentioned it.

60 bucks.

Bought that piece of carp Pirates of the Black Sea a couple weeks ago, and it never ran without crashing.

30 bucks.

Pre ordered a game that doesn't run because of the same problems with Assassin's Creed. Audio clipping, and crashes.

15 bucks.

We're a hundred bucks this month fellas, on carp that shouldn't have been sold and has no support.

Why can some developers put out a good product....and others can't? Must be the developer....because my computer doesn't just decide to not like a game. Ubi's developers ride the short bus.

If Steam wants to participate in it fine. I'll stop buying stuff on Steam then too. 3 days. Amazon. No big deal.

evil_buddy
08-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Because every day there is some sort of "let's do the boycott"

Boycott because isn't dark enough
Boycott because is to grey
Boycott because the sequel was announced
Boycott because isn't plans for a sequel
Boycott because there is DLC
Boycott because the game don't recive support after launch
Boycott, Boycott, Boycott...

Even when are legit reasons for a boycott, like in Modern Warfare 2, people can't stick to it and 2 days after the launch they are already plying the game. Look at you! "other means of obtaining it" WTF! Boycott is boycott! Isn’t such thing like demiboycott. More piracy is just more one reason to use more aggressive DRM. Lol, even the boycotters can’t be true to the boycott.

Why does it even matter? Sure there are always people to call for a "boycott" that don't always stick to it. But that doesn't effect me personally. I would never assume there would be enough to make Ubi change their mind on anything. All I can do is either choose to give them my money, or not to. Whether you want to call it a boycott, or not, really doesn't change the fact that I personally will not be supporting them. And that is what matters to me.

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Let me get this straight.

You decide how you're boycotting.
I'm boycotting by doing the following:

1. Not giving Ubisoft a single dollar until they cleanup their act.
2. Will get their games "in other ways", hence proving that their DRM isn't worth crap.
3. Spreading the truth about how Ubisoft treats its customers to my friends and people I meet.

Think about it. If you don't play their games at all - it's just like u're just not interested. If you play them without paying Ubisoft - that's you exploiting them, like they're exploiting their paying customers. "Tooth for a tooth", as they say.

Nerv603
08-18-2011, 11:10 PM
You decide how you're boycotting.
I'm boycotting by doing the following:

2. Will get their games "in other ways", hence proving that their DRM isn't worth crap.

Think about it. If you don't play their games at all - it's just like u're just not interested. If you play them without paying Ubisoft - that's you exploiting them, like they're exploiting their paying customers. "Tooth for a tooth", as they say.

Umm no, sorry thats called stealing.

Boycott -> definition:
"To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion."

Use whatever coulourful language you want but at the end of the day if you are using a product as your own without paying for it, it's call stealing.

Btw, I don't see why your be bothered about DRM when you would appear to have decent connetion to the internet, with making 6 post in just over an hour...

DarkDvr
08-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Umm no, sorry thats called stealing.

Boycott -> definition:
"To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion."

Let's call it "boycot" with one "t" at the end, and redefine is. You're stuck on word definition, which is unimportant.

Use whatever coulourful language you want but at the end of the day if you are using a product as your own without paying for it, it's call stealing.

Let me put this in perspective - what is it called when you, say, purchase a printer from a company. So you bring it home:

It refuses to print at all, asking you to call customer service, give them your phone #, email address and full name.
You call (long-distance, you'll pay for it) them, and they allow you to turn on the printer
You try to print landscape - option is not available
Assuming all inkjet printers nowadays print color, you're amazed that it only prints black&white
After printing, it tells you that you gonna have to call their long-distance customer support every time you wish to print a page
Printer's maximum printing speed is 1 page every 10 minutes

I think it's safe to say that you got a lemon, and you're been lied to and basically robbed.
When you ask them what kind of nonsense this is, they tell you that since some people sometimes steal their printers, they have forced these limitations on you.

I betcha anything you'd throw that crap out the window and never buy from that company again.

Btw, I don't see why your be bothered about DRM when you would appear to have decent connetion to the internet, with making 6 post in just over an hour...
That, my friend, with all due respect, is none of your business. Where, how and when I connect to the internet, and WHAT I use it for - is my decision.

evil_buddy
08-18-2011, 11:42 PM

Since you're stuck on semantics, you should probably go look up the definition of "stealing" while you're at it. But this is all just digression!

Now you just appear to be trying to antagonize.

Ghos7Soldier
08-19-2011, 12:31 AM

It's the fact that you NEED internet to play.

Say for example, your internet provider is ♥♥♥♥ed one day and the service goes down. Mind you this is possible for any internet service provider and can happen at the drop of a dime at any time of the day.

What then? Can't play any of your games that require internet. The idea that people "depend" on internet for everything is pretty silly.
I just miss the "cd key" activation and that was it. Was simple and easy.

You do know they spend COUNTLESS amounts of moolah on drm, not just ubisoft btw, just to get shown up by those who crack the game and make all that money spent go to waste ONLY hurting the customer.

In the end, I'd rather be able to play a game I spent money one whenever, and however. Playing an MMO is one thing, but playing a 15 dollar game, SINGLEPLAYER ontop of that, is a whole new ball game.

Also, no insulting you in any case. I'm only speaking my mind.

Doctor_Hades
08-19-2011, 03:10 AM
There seems to be a lot of understandable hatred for UbiSoft's online DRM but at least with this game it is not the despicably dreadful always-online kind that almost ruined Assassin's Creed II for me at launch. That said, forcing online DRM for offline games is a really stupid idea IMO so UbiSoft deserved to be criticised heavily for it.

pokedex2536
08-19-2011, 03:31 AM
I have no issues with this game at all, you are all spoiled with your games and should be ashamed. They did lie, they do deserve some punishment for that. But this game is fine.

EpicLegion
08-19-2011, 03:34 AM
There's a fan made patch to unlock FPS:
http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/18/from-dust-startup-hook

Soupias
08-19-2011, 04:38 AM
I really do not get what's up with this DRM policy. They stick to it and they claim that it is successful. I have made a habit of checking all the heavy DRM releases on pirate sites. Guess what? All of them are available like the ones that do not feature DRM. So, I do not get it, where is the success?

Except if they are using their intrusive DRM to collect other useful data from us. I do not know I speculate on that. Because apart from that, I cannot find any other use.

Doctor_Hades
08-19-2011, 06:33 AM
There's a fan made patch to unlock FPS:
http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/18/from-dust-startup-hook

Nice find. Thanks.

kibblesticks
08-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Why not?

Sooo... you're a scrounger? Fair enough to boycott the industry if you believe they are doing something wrong. But not buying their product is not the same as theft. Pirates really hack me off, you're allowing the people who create these games to put time and effort into something only to be rewarded by you stealing it without so much as a thank you. You'll probably then go online to whine about how much your illegaly obtained game sucked.

The game is very short - the fact that they didn't have to specifically state, but still - it's indirect cheating of customers. Imagine you buy a printer that dies after printing 200 sheets (Epson?) - you'd feel cheated right?

Bad comparison, a printer is designed to run until it breaks. I can use a bad example to make the game look good:

The game is very long - the fact that they didn't have to specifically state, but still - it's definately a bonus for customers. Imagine you buy a donut that doesn't end until you've taken 200 bites - you'd feel great right?

See? It isn't clever to make stupid comparisons. I've been playing the game for hours and I've barely explored the sandbox mode, haven't even gone near the challenge maps and haven't collected all the in-game trophies.

The game is NOT ported to PC. It simply LAUNCHES on PC, sometimes without crashing. 30 FPS cap (xbox), no gfx settings (xbox), no control config (xbox), no use of AntiAliasing or other bare basics.

Cry me a river. Did Mario use AntiAliasing? Did Tetris have control configuration? I don't even know what gfx settings are but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have significantly enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

p.s. This game has literally never crashed for me. I experienced one bug where the menu didn't show up but a quick restart solved that. You really are making mountains out of mole hills. It's an small, fun game, stop hating. Go make your own game if you think you'd be so good at it.

Rarz
08-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Porting an xbox game to PC isn't even that much work. Unless you decided to not use the MS tools available... Seriously. It's not exactly magic.

Maje
08-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Facts:
[LIST]
They said internet connection will be required only first time - LIE. It's always required!

Not to comepletly break off in another direction but just to clarify this point. The internet connection portion is until the game starts. after that you can turn it off and it runs fine. So its not "always" required as in all the time. Just always required to start it up.

Polodox
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Maje, The way it was explained in clarifications on the ubisoft forums was that it was a one time deal. No other authorizations would be required after the first start up.

evil_buddy
08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Cry me a river. Did Mario use AntiAliasing? Did Tetris have control configuration?

Talk about making bad comparisons, to bring up games that have been around for nearly 30 years. This is 2011 if you haven't noticed. Even many of the most basic casual games from the smallest developers have control config and AA options.

I don't even know what gfx settings are but I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have significantly enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

Graphics settings. It sounds like you're not a graphics geek or into high-end stuff, or even care about basic graphics options, but even most indie/casual games have them. It isn't just about making a game LOOK better, but RUN better. Just simple resolution options are a must. It's a very basic option that all games should have, and the fact that this game does not, released by such a huge game company, says a lot. Whether you're fine with them or not, or it would make your experience better or not, is irrelevant. It's something that should be there, especially when the game is running like crap for many people because of a low framerate cap.

p.s. This game has literally never crashed for me. I experienced one bug where the menu didn't show up but a quick restart solved that. You really are making mountains out of mole hills. It's an small, fun game, stop hating. Go make your own game if you think you'd be so good at it.

Oh, you're one of those. "It works fine for me and *I* like it, so no one else should complain!" Well guess what? It doesn't work for many, for many it is crap, and not everyone is fine with lying down smiling as Ubi steamrolls over them. Just accept it.

Go make your own game if you think you'd be so good at it

Oh yes, because to be a PC gamer and have an opinion about what you spent your money on, you must be a game developer as well. Especially when said game is published by a huge company such as Ubisoft that have already proven they are capable of putting out decent games, to release something like this in a manner that any developer or publisher (large or small) should be ashamed of. Totally logical, you are.

Naruzuru
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm taking that one step further....no more Steam purchases either.

Going back to Amazon to wait that hideous 3 days for delivery, and that way at least I'll have a disk to sell if it's garbage.

Food for thought.
Are you serious? While ubisoft lying is surely something to be angry about, you bought it from Steam who did not in fact, have any part in lying about it. The shoddy port thing too.

Why in the world would you do a chargeback when you could have gone to steam support and ask for a refund? It's pretty common knowledge that chargebacks will instantly cause steam to suspend your account. Tolerating chargebacks lead to too much problems.

ausle
08-19-2011, 02:29 PM
I personally enjoy everything Steam is about, have not had serious issues, and have enjoyed their sales. There's no reason why I'd stop using them when I fully understood the Terms that they will not refund games, and I will continue buying from them.

However, I ago Ubisoft has gone too far with their lying and as of now, I will refrain from purchasing Ubisoft games until they change, so I'm all for this boycott.

DEATH e.VADER
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Facts:
[LIST]

Yeah I sadly found out that there was no autosave feature, and halfway through a level a popup told me that I had lost internet connection and either retry or exit

Chiatroll
08-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I haven't bought an ubisoft game since they screwed the settlers and with how far up their rears ubisoft stores it's head I may never again.

They have a heavily anti customer attitude and I don't need to deal with a company that will directly lie to me.

alexadroog
08-20-2011, 11:55 PM
I think you misunderstand the main point of this thread.
Let's argue next about the word "PC". What IS a PC, and what isn't. Very interesting conversation as well. NOT.

welcome to 2011 Wayne. How is Garth these days?

DarkDvr
08-20-2011, 11:56 PM
welcome to 2011 Wayne. How is Garth these days?

Your reference is wasted on me, that means nothing to me.

alexadroog
08-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Your reference is wasted on me, that means nothing to me.

haha just joking man. I'm with ya, some good points. just saw a opening for some of my worthless dribble. Glad you saw that it was a reference though.

DarkDvr
08-21-2011, 12:32 AM
haha just joking man. I'm with ya, some good points. just saw a opening for some of my worthless dribble. Glad you saw that it was a reference though.

All good =) That's what I get for mixing cultures in my life.. :)