PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is conditioner even for...?

Parliamentarian
08-19-2011, 12:14 PM
...Because it certainly doesn't make my hair softer or stronger. It just makes it feel greasy. :o

TheInsaneDump
08-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Are you serious? The conditioner is to....condition...the uhhh. Ah screw it!

EricHVela
08-19-2011, 12:18 PM
...Because it certainly doesn't make my hair softer or stronger. It just makes it feel greasy. :oThat's what I thought it was for... greasy. Can't stand the stuff.

Levi
08-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Beats me, I just use shampoo. Conditioner always just makes my hair feel gross.

Parliamentarian
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
We need some wimmins up in here to explain this mysterious substance to us menfolk.

Eriako
08-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Back when my hair went down to my hips, it was a necessity. Really cuts down on combing time. It helps if you only apply it to below earlength hair.

Are you washing it out right away? You don't really need to leave it in unless you have dry hair. Or you could try leave-in conditioner, that's a little different.

EricHVela
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
We need some wimmins up in here to explain this mysterious substance to us menfolk.Then, maybe it's a feminine product that's best left to their private restroom discussions (or uncomfortable not-so-fresh commercials).

k*nel
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
leaves the hair silky and smooth!

Europhoria
Isn't it to nourish and replenish your hair like all those rainbow ♥♥♥♥ting garbage television commercials tell us?

Back when my hair went down to my hips, it was a necessity. Really cuts down on combing time. It helps if you only apply it to below earlength hair.

Are you washing it out right away? You don't really need to leave it in unless you have dry hair. Or you could try leave-in conditioner, that's a little different.

Pics or it didn't happen.

bdmason
You should send your question in to "2 hot girls in the shower" show

Pebr
08-19-2011, 12:25 PM
They're about as useful as bed cushions.

EricHVela

Are you washing it out right away? You don't really need to leave it in unless you have dry hair. Or you could try leave-in conditioner, that's a little different.Ah. Okay. Never had hair that long. (Prefer buzz every few months.) So it's for old hair.

Eriako
Pics or it didn't happen.

You want pictures of little girls? Dang, Euro, you creepy.

:P

Parliamentarian

Yeah, I wash it out. It says you CAN leave it in and let it air dry, but even washing it out after letting it set for 30 seconds makes my hair feel sticky and greasy and I see no improvement in the strength or softness and I still get split-ends.

Spycake
My hair gets frizzy after a shower, so I condition it to make it lay flat and easier to comb.

Casus
Condition makes your hair feel silky smooth!

It feels greasy when it's in, sure, but then you rinse it out and dry, and ta-da, your hair is...conditioned...for awesomeness.

SeanHraefn
08-19-2011, 12:27 PM
I use a bar of natural hemp soap for my body and hair.

It amazed me how much longer I stay clean when I stopped using "normal" soap.

Parliamentarian
08-19-2011, 12:27 PM
I use a bar of natural hemp soap.

Do you get hungry after bathing?

Eriako
08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I wash it out. It says you CAN leave it in and let it air dry, but even washing it out after letting it set for 30 seconds makes my hair feel sticky and greasy and I see no improvement in the strength or softness and I still get split-ends.

I know what you mean, I got that when I first cut my hair short. I'd ask your hair stylist for a good shampoo/conditioner combo for your hair type, if you really want to use it.

Europhoria
08-19-2011, 12:28 PM
You want pictures of little girls? Dang, Euro, you creepy.

:P

I do not like this Eriako. :mad:

marie pavie
08-19-2011, 12:30 PM
You're probably either leaving it in to long, or using drug store conditioner. Also, if you have short hair it really doesn't have too much time to get beat up.

SeanHraefn
08-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Do you get hungry after bathing?

No, but after I'm finished my after-shower smokey herbal remedy, I do get a little peckish.

GirlPower23
08-19-2011, 12:34 PM
We need some wimmins up in here to explain this mysterious substance to us menfolk.

Okay let me try to explain it to the "Minnz." Stick with me here.

Conditioners contain things like fatty oils, moisturizers, lubricants, thermal protectors. Basically what these do is they coat your hair and keep moisture in. So when your hair dries it doesn't frizz or feel crusty/rough. Detangler conditioners will contain silicon polymers in them to make the hair look very glossy and shiny. All these "Ingredients" so to speak will generally leave your hair very soft, heavier, and sleeker. Thus you are used to your hair being rough so you think it feels oily. When it's just very soft after you have used it. Just remember that Conditioners come in varieties. A heavy conditioner will probably not do well w/ someone with short hair. Try to find a light one if you want to condition. Avoid Detangler Conditioners and Thermal Protectors (Mostly used when you use a flat iron to straighten hair) It will feel less "Oily" as you put it.

The quantity used is also important.. never to much. If you use to much then things like the fatty oils will leave your hair feeling very greasy. I hope this helps.

Best brand to use? Obviously..

Paul Mitchell.

bluz74
08-19-2011, 12:39 PM
That's why you use Pert. It's shampoo and conditioner all in one. Cleans you real good. You could eat off my head.

EricHVela
08-19-2011, 12:41 PM

Conditioners contain things like fatty oils, moisturizers, lubricants, thermal protectors. Basically what these do is they coat your hair and keep moisture in. So when your hair dries it doesn't frizz or feel crusty/rough. Detangler conditioners will contain silicon polymers in them to make the hair look very glossy and shiny. All these "Ingredients" so to speak will generally leave your hair very soft, heavier, and sleeker. Thus you are used to your hair being rough so you think it feels oily. When it's just very soft after you have used it. Just remember that Conditioners come in varieties. A heavy conditioner will probably not do well w/ someone with short hair. Try to find a light one if you want to condition. Avoid Detangler Conditioners and Thermal Protectors (Mostly used when you use a flat iron to straighten hair) It will feel less "Oily" as you put it.

The quantity used is also important.. never to much. If you use to much then things like the fatty oils will leave your hair feeling very greasy. I hope this helps.I think my heritage provides its own "conditioner", then.

TheInsaneDump
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM

The quantity used is also important.. never to much. If you use to much then things like the fatty oils will leave your hair feeling very greasy. I hope this helps.

Paul Mitchell.

Too much work. Just get a crew cut.

bdmason
08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
That's why you use Pert. It's shampoo and conditioner all in one. Cleans you real good. You could eat off my head.

Sweet, I've been looking for some more serving dishes.

T@F
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I thought it was suppose to make your hair soft and stop it from getting split ends?

Parliamentarian
08-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Paul Mitchell.

I may just go to a salon and ask them what they think would be best for my hair type, then; because the generic ♥♥♥♥ I got doesn't stop the frizz at all.

I should also mention that my hair is about waist length. Metal hair! *swings it strong*

SeanHraefn
08-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Too much work. Just get a crew cut.

That's my method.

I just put the number 2 guide on a set of clippers and do my whole head and face.

Eriako
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I may just go to a salon and ask them what they think would be best for my hair type, then; because the generic ♥♥♥♥ I got doesn't stop the frizz at all.

I should also mention that my hair is about waist length. Metal hair! *swings it strong*

Be sure to ask about shampoo too. I've had some that killed my hair over time and switching made all the difference.

Snaggle
08-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Eat off or off of? Cannibalism isn't my thing....

DirectTarget
08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
It leaves your hair feeling really soft. I use a 2 in 1 shampoo so that I get the benefit of both!

Parliamentarian
08-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Eat off or off of? Cannibalism isn't my thing....

But eating food that's in hair you're fine with? :p

bdmason
08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
But eating food that's in hair you're fine with? :p

You get used to it after living with a dog that sheds like crazy.

iBMe
08-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Makes my hair go all weird, I think "frizzy" is the correct term.

Nice and soft though.

GirlPower23
08-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Salon might be a good idea. However, maybe try a Heavy Conditioner or an Intensive Care one. If you want the full affect of Conditioner try not to rinse it out right away. Leave it in for 5-10 minutes. Intensive care is probably your best bet. If you are using cheap conditioners that could be the problem.. Your hair is frizzy because it's dry. You could try Shampooing every other day. Shampooing to often will generally leave your hair dry. If you want a good brand.. I'll say it again. Paul Mitchell. :P

marie pavie
08-19-2011, 01:17 PM
What the heck is conditioner even for...?

...to make little boys ask questions.

TheInsaneDump
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM
...to make little boys ask questions.

And women condescending. ;)

aegisfate117
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
I do like how it makes me hair feel. There are TONS of different kinds all over the world. Trying one and hating all of them is inane. Though it does make sense that different hair reacts in different ways.

If I don't use conditioner but do use shampoo, my hair feels a little "pully" like it's too dry to move my hand through. I could live with neither shampoo or conditioner, it wouldn't be pretty though.

Snorkel
08-19-2011, 02:19 PM
...Because it certainly doesn't make my hair softer or stronger. It just makes it feel greasy. :o

It's SUPPOSED to detangle your hair and make it a nice texture.

Most conditioners use silicon :eek:

Anyway, I have hair that goes really dry and frizzy all the time, and I spent an absolute fortune on expensive hydrating conditioners from the salons, and half an hour later I may as well have not washed my hair. I even had someone say to me once "Your hair would be really nice if you looked after it."

Anyway, long story short, I eventually threw the conditioner away and I use refined coconut oil in my hair now instead, and it's a million times nicer.

But, of course it wouldn't suit everyone.

If your hair is quite oily, then putting more oil in would be dumb. Sounds like you're probably totally fine if you just use a mild shampoo now and then to wash your hair and let your natural hair oils make it nice again.

I even know people (with short hair) who just rinse it in water, never put any product in it, and their hair is perfectly clean and shiny and nice.

I mean, it used to be that people would wash their hair with quite harsh soaps, and then oiling it up afterwards was totally necessary because all the oils were totally stripped away with the washing. But shampoos are much nicer than that these days.

I'm totally convinced that hair product manufacturers only cater for people with mainstream hair, and that there aren't any salon products that are actually good with my hair.

Naruzuru
08-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm totally convinced that hair product manufacturers only cater for people with mainstream hair, and that there aren't any salon products that are actually good with my hair.

Looks like you have hipster hair :D

OddFlame
08-19-2011, 02:25 PM
My hair gets very dry and frizzy. Conditioner helps prevent that :)

marie pavie
08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I assume it's just boilerplate chemistry & then 95% marketing.

Modern hair conditioner was created at the turn of the 20th century when well-known perfumer Ed. Pinaud presented a product he called brilliantine at the 1900 Exposition Universelle in Paris. His product was intended to soften men's hair, including beards and mustaches. Since the invention of Pinaud's early products, modern science has advanced the hair conditioner industry to include those made with silicone, fatty alcohols, and quaternary ammonium compounds. These chemical products allow the benefits of hair conditioner without feeling greasy or heavy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_conditioner

bluz74
08-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I thought it was used as an excuse for why she can't go out with me tonight. :(

Son, I am derp
08-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I think this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQMoyhPNJA) pretty much sums it up.

wonderboy2402
08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Shampoo removes the oils and other gunk collecting in your hair.

Conditioner returns and soften your hair because shampooing may dry out your hair.

Haven't you ever stood in the shower and read what a bottle does?

wonderboy2402
08-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I think this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQMoyhPNJA) pretty much sums it up.

Perfect.

Larry1212
08-19-2011, 03:15 PM

What? Leave it in? Wash it out right away? Brain = fizzled. I just use the damn stuff out of habbit... I feel naked if I don't condition now, even though I never knew what it was for. :(

rexz
08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Shampoo to clean dirty hair, Condition to... condition (keeping it clean).

I use 2 in 1 so I don't really trivial myself with stuff like this.

Undead
08-19-2011, 03:19 PM
leaves the hair silky and smooth!

This! :D

PowerfulGiraffe
08-19-2011, 03:24 PM
I buy all my hair stuff at Trader Joe's. Keeps me clean and natural like a chimp or something.

welsh_boy
08-19-2011, 04:31 PM

hmm me thinks you are mixing up conditioner with the bodily fluid that produces this effect :p

http://icydk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/17191__something_mary_l.jpg

Heavy Weapons
08-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Hair is basically a chain made of protein-based links. It is lubricated with the oil exuded by your skin. Well-lubricated hair (not too much, not too little) looks attractive and feels really nice on the skin.

Unfortunately, airborn particulates such as dust, smoke, and chemical sprays cling to the oil in your hair and glom it all up. Your hair loses its shine as the oil lubricating it becomes plastered with sludge. Some of that airborne crud is organic residue that can rot, partuicularly when it's suspended in an oily growth medium. Let it go without washing it too many days in a row, and it won't just look drab, it'll start to smell bad. Shampooing gets rid of the dirt by stripping off the oil the dirt is embedded in.

This leaves your hair without its protective sheath of clean oil. Conditioner is used to re-oil the hair, but with fresh, clean oil. (Likewise hot-oil treatments.) As a general rule, if you don't keep your hair long enough to run a comb through, you don't need conditioner, because shine and flexibility aren't part of the look you're going for. You shampoo to get rid of the stink, and that's that.

Price is not necessarily an indicator of quality, but the really inexpensive shampoos tend to be the most brutal, and the really cheap conditioners tend to be very heavy, greasy concoctions. If your hair is long enough that conditioning it (replacing the oil) is important to you, its probably best to go with a conditioner in the $5 to $10 a bottle range.

skiddlywibble
08-19-2011, 05:32 PM
You're all wrong. It simply exists to give you an excuse to stay in the shower longer.

Freakiq
08-19-2011, 05:42 PM
My hair is so strong that I can't even brush it without a conditioner.

ask bob
08-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Hair conditioner is a hair care product that alters the texture and appearance of hair.
quote from wikipedia.

Parliamentarian
08-19-2011, 06:18 PM

STOP LOOKING AT ME, SON!

joeylawn
08-19-2011, 06:22 PM
.Most conditioners use silicon :eek:

Silicon Compounds.

like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane

Snorkel
08-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Silicon Compounds.

like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane

Still, do people really want that in their hair?

Uh well, I'm saving an absolute fortune now that I used to spend on top range conditioners that were completely useless on my hair.

Coconut oil is much cheaper, and it's the only thing I've found that actually does condition my hair. And I don't have to have bizarre compounds in my hair.

Coats
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Intensive Care (Unit)

Bah, now I've gotta boot up that song. :mad:

TheInsaneDump
08-19-2011, 06:59 PM
STOP LOOKING AT ME, SON!

Swan. :D

marie pavie
08-19-2011, 07:03 PM
What the heck is conditioner even for...?

It's to condition you at a young age into a lifetime of being nickled & dimed. ??

joeylawn
08-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Still, do people really want that in their hair?

Uh well, I'm saving an absolute fortune now that I used to spend on top range conditioners that were completely useless on my hair.

Coconut oil is much cheaper, and it's the only thing I've found that actually does condition my hair. And I don't have to have bizarre compounds in my hair.

That same substance is used as an anti-gas agent - called Simethicone.

It's completely non-toxic. Heck, according to the wiki (that link above) it's in McD's Chicken McNuggets and Wendy's French Fries! :D

SweetNothing
08-19-2011, 07:31 PM

It's for people like me with dry hair. If it makes your hair feel greasy, don't use it. Is that really so hard to figure out?

Sorry if that sounds snarky, but I pretty much don't believe anything in any commercials and just figure out what works for me all on my own. In fact, for me, conditioner isn't enough - I have to add a mixture of almond oil & aloe vera gel after shampooing or I would never be able to get a comb through my hair.

Carry on.

joeylawn
08-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Almond Oil - I bet that smells good.

SweetNothing
08-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Almond Oil - I bet that smells good.

Suprisingly, it's relatively odorless. But it would be a great vehicle for a few drops of essential oil, for example, lavender or rose. Hmmmm...

:D

hahaokayman
08-20-2011, 05:06 AM
If your hair gets oily when you use conditioner then you should shower more often, ie ONCE A DAY

SeanHraefn
08-20-2011, 05:25 AM
If your hair gets oily when you use conditioner then you should shower more often, ie ONCE A DAY

Showering once a day is horrible for your skin and hair.

North Americans, in general, are WAY too clean.

Our body was formed with the idea that we're supposed to have our own oils seeping into our hair and skin.

A lot of our skin conditions probably come from our over-showering and soap.

Summer Seal
08-20-2011, 05:40 AM

Our body was formed with the idea that we're supposed to have our own oils seeping into our hair and skin.

Why the f**k do you always make sense? Why the f**k are you more intelligent than everyone on this forum, and even your opinions reflect that.

I vote SeanHraefn as president of Planet Earth.

welsh_boy
08-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I've been told that beer makes a great product for hair condition... There used to be a shampoo sold years ago ( you can still get it if your lucky by mail ) that contained beer and a few people who I knew that used to use it swore by this stuff.
I think it was something called Body on Tap

NorthernKingdom
08-20-2011, 08:35 AM

To sell the same product to women they already have.

joeylawn
08-20-2011, 08:39 AM

With my line of work, (I cut grass), I must shower every day!

Dmytry
08-20-2011, 08:40 AM

I was thinking along those lines the other day... what if we had better noses, like dogs - just how far would people go to eliminate any odour? shower 10 times a day? that'd probably age the skin like there's no tomorrow.
edit: Or conversely, if we lacked sense of smell and only needed to shower for truly personal hygienic reasons - what would be the agreed healthy frequency?

That being said it is fallacious to assume that if something is natural it is good for you. It is natural for humans to be full of parasites, but it is not healthy and humans in the past had way shorter lifespan. (lack of parasites apparently results in over-active immune system and auto-immune disorders, yet we are still better off without the parasites)

IsEnough
08-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I have hair that's down to half my back.

In general, these make my hair look smoother:
-Olive Oil (or almond, or coconut)
-Egg (just wash with cold water! it's the proteins doing it)
-Conditioner (I use dry-conditioner, not the shower sort)

To make my hair a little blonder, I use:
-Lemon/Lime
-Beer

To treat my scalp for any kind of problems I usually use tea tree oil shampoo.

And I found that in general my hair is a lot cleaner and stronger when I wash it every 2 days, instead of every day. Taking a shower once a day still, but just not washing the hair. Once my body gets used to it, my hair produces noticeably less oil and it's much cleaner (surprisingly).

Without conditioner, my hair dries out easily and it's a lot less shiny.

Snorkel
08-20-2011, 01:27 PM

See, that's the kind of comment I used to get so upset about when I was buying $40 bottles of leave-in conditioner every 2 weeks and my hair still looked nasty no matter how often I washed it.

BTW, even salons recommend washing your hair no more than every second day.

But honestly, the problem is totally NOT because of not washing your hair often enough. The problem is that for people with super dry or super oily hair, there just doesn't exist a commercial conditioner that's right for them. The sooner people like you realise that, the better for everyone.

Blinxx
08-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Conditioner makes my hair shiny and soft and smell of strawberries.

Bearkin
08-20-2011, 01:41 PM
It doesn't have to be your head hair that you want softer...

Blinxx
08-20-2011, 01:44 PM
It doesn't have to be your head hair that you want softer...

Or smell of strawberries?

Bearkin
08-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Or smell of strawberries?

Or to make it shiny.

tibetanpunk
08-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I have really thick, curly hair and when I wash it it is always really, really dry and frizzy...Never used conditioner...Think I will give it a go, as after reading this thread it sounds like it is putting natural oils back into your hair that shampoo strips out.

Gibbo73
08-20-2011, 05:32 PM
It makes your hair nice and silky.

Snorkel
08-20-2011, 05:52 PM
It makes your hair nice and silky.

Keeps my skin nice and scaly! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7gE_DepZM0#t=3m17s)