PDA

View Full Version : Is this game as incredible as the demo?

spyrochaete
08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Cuz holy frig am I ever impressed.

Twistamafoo
08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
It only gets better and deeper.

Xaveri
08-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I haven't played the demo so I don't know how far you go in it. Once the Bastion is revealed and your start searching for the pieces to restore it, then in my opinion it gets really interesting.

Here's the thing. The actiony gameplay remains the same throughout the game. However, it is sprinkled with new weapons every 30 minutes or so, new enemies that are introduced constantly, new upgrades and customization for how you want to play it.

And the narrator is sooo good. I read somewhere that the narrator will never repeat a line in the entire game. The developers designed it that way so that it would be an immersive experience.

All of this with a new game+ feature in my opinion is more than enough for your $15.

TemptedNZ
08-19-2011, 09:36 PM

This ++.
Demo is nothing compared to the full game.

mr turkey40
08-19-2011, 09:44 PM
I haven't played the demo so I don't know how far you go in it. Once the Bastion is revealed and your start searching for the pieces to restore it, then in my opinion it gets really interesting.

Here's the thing. The actiony gameplay remains the same throughout the game. However, it is sprinkled with new weapons every 30 minutes or so, new enemies that are introduced constantly, new upgrades and customization for how you want to play it.

And the narrator is sooo good. I read somewhere that the narrator will never repeat a line in the entire game. The developers designed it that way so that it would be an immersive experience.

All of this with a new game+ feature in my opinion is more than enough for your $15.

Actually, he repeats things quite often. But only if you do things again and again, like falling, and switching upgrades/loadouts. But other than that, yep
TONS OF DIALOGUE

.Rad
08-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Significantly better than the demo.

Desi
08-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Actually, he repeats things quite often. But only if you do things again and again, like falling, and switching upgrades/loadouts.

I did not hear any of that in my second playthrough. Falling a lot elicited a different response each time, and changing loadouts had different lines too.

habibi
08-20-2011, 02:47 AM
I played the demo and loved the game and decided to plonk $15 for it and never looked back. This game is awesome. You are doing yourself a disservice if you didn't play it!

Fenizrael
08-20-2011, 03:38 AM
I did not hear any of that in my second playthrough. Falling a lot elicited a different response each time, and changing loadouts had different lines too.

He has a line for each different loadout combination, but he will only say one of his lines once per Bastion visit. You have to enter a level then go back to the bastion and choose different weapons for a new response. He has a line for every single weapon combination (my favourite is Calamity Cannon and Galleon Mortar).

He also has lines for certain game segments if you kill all the enemies or don't fall off a cliff etc. You might not hear them the first or second time around, based on your performance.

Tomires
08-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Nope, it's not as incredible as the demo.

It's even more incredible! :)

tragikos
08-20-2011, 08:33 AM
How long is it?

Nekomancer
08-20-2011, 08:38 AM
10 hours in it and already working on my second playthrough. It's not a long game, but it's a very exciting ride, from the start to the end.

It's as long as other AAA titles, but costs only a fraction of that.

Jimyz
08-20-2011, 10:55 AM

That's what she said!

(Sorry, I had to... perfect opportunity.)

q3c
08-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I am not much of a hack'n'slash, RPG or any kind of isometric game fan, but Bastion is pretty much close to perfection in my opinion. Absolutely amazing - the demo, while good, is only a tiny tiny taste of things to come.

spyrochaete
08-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied with feedback (and to Jimyz for saying that's what she said). Sounds like this game is fantastic. I just bought it.

tragikos
08-22-2011, 04:40 AM
After I finally bought it. And already 6 hours in it, I can say it is as good as the demo and better! Glad I bought it :)

Anotherwrld
08-22-2011, 06:24 AM

I can say without a doubt that this is fact...for the most part. And I can't go into details about "for the most part."

Grgolj
08-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Demo was amazing! But alas, the full game will have to wait until my exams are over :(

Payday
08-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Truly great games don't come along very often and Bastion definitely fits the category. It is great. Everyone who enjoys gaming should play it.

tragikos
08-23-2011, 05:07 AM
I finished it in exactly 10 hours, after doing some time on side missions too. I'll gladly do a second playthrough!

I am Ry
08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
He also skims the fourth wall sometimes on the second playthrough, saying things like "I feel like I've said this before" and "Seems like I've told this part a million times"

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the narration at first, but I really grew to like it. Even in the demo, I started smashing stuff with the hammer (amused that I could break all of this stuff) and he said "...Kid just goes crazy for a while" Made me grin. :)