PDA

View Full Version : the console in cs:s

4capbuster51_MS
08-20-2011, 11:06 AM
im new to cs:s,i havnt played cs since v1.3, for reasons of to many technical issues in game.but recently i bought the cs:source retail version hoping that all those issues have been resolved,how wrong i was,seems to be even more issues have arisen,lol!anyway ive managed to over come most of those issues on my own,but i cant seem to open my console in cs:s to adjust my (rates) as every1 is talkin about,i thought the tilda key was the opener,but nothing happens when i try yo open it.can some1 pls be kind enough to tell me how to open the console.ty :confused:

beegoody
08-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Settings -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> Check "Enable dev Console"

ICantShoot
08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Put -console in launch parameters. Right click on top of CS Source. Select properties, then launch options.

Hartisen
08-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Settings -> Keyboard -> Advanced -> Check "Enable dev Console"Put -console in launch parameters. Right click on top of CS Source. Select properties, then launch options.Do this two things and launch the game. The console should pop up. Input the following:

bind [key] toggleconsole

Then you can remove '-console' from the launch parameters so that it won't pop up every time you start css.

arisaka
08-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Do this two things and launch the game. The console should pop up. Input the following:

bind [key] toggleconsole

Then you can remove '-console' from the launch parameters so that it won't pop up every time you start css.

The console key is by default ~, so you may not have to bind [key] toggleconsole. But you can bind ` toggleconsole (which will set it to the tilde key) if you really want to make sure.

Hartisen
08-21-2011, 02:12 AM
The console key is by default ~, so you may not have to bind [key] toggleconsole. But you can bind ` toggleconsole (which will set it to the tilde key) if you really want to make sure.Most keyboards don't have the ~ key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

There's something peculiar I noticed about the ~ key (or whichever key you have left of the 1 key). I have a Spanish keyboard which does not have the tilde on that key. In GoldSrc games like Half-Life and Counter-Strike I can bind the console to that key. In Half-Life 2 Beta it is possible too (perhaps because it uses an engine between the GoldSrc and Source iterations). In Source engine games this was no longer possible (even today I can't in Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2). However, it is once again possible in Portal 2, maybe because it uses the latest version of the Source engine.

I hope Valve is planning to update the rest of their games to the Portal 2 engine just like they updated their oldest games to the OB engine. Meanwhile I use the F3 key to toggle the console.

beegoody
08-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Most keyboards don't have the ~ key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

There's something peculiar I noticed about the ~ key (or whichever key you have left of the 1 key). I have a Spanish keyboard which does not have the tilde on that key. In GoldSrc games like Half-Life and Counter-Strike I can bind the console to that key. In Half-Life 2 Beta it is possible too (perhaps because it uses an engine between the GoldSrc and Source iterations). In Source engine games this was no longer possible (even today I can't in Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2). However, it is once again possible in Portal 2, maybe because it uses the latest version of the Source engine.

I hope Valve is planning to update the rest of their games to the Portal 2 engine just like they updated their oldest games to the OB engine. Meanwhile I use the F3 key to toggle the console.

I have a british keyboard which has the ~ elsewhere, however the console is opened with the same key as an american keyboard (below the escape key). And the game does recognize the british keyboard so it should be possible with any keyboard.

Hartisen
08-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Well I have the Ordinal indicator "" on that key. If I want to bind the console to that key (bind toggleconsole), it won't work :/