PDA

View Full Version : Mission 4 (Including tutorial)

McBeak
08-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Metallion I think it is. I have done that map a dozen times now, and I just can't do it. Half the time I get really close :( Is it just me, or is this game ♥♥♥♥ing hard? D: I'm doing this on easy and I feel like I can't catch a break.

Any clues as to how to complete this one would be appreciated btw. But shouldn't you be able to take it easy, on easy? =/

I HATE sick race-against-time maps like this. I don't want to have to stress over a game. The worst part is having to start the damn thing over every time, and you will have to start over. Because you won't know what you're walking into, and WILL ♥♥♥♥ it up on the first, second and third try :mad:

Great game tho.

mattjd
08-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Metallion I think it is. I have done that map a dozen times now, and I just can't do it. Half the time I get really close :( Is it just me, or is this game ♥♥♥♥ing hard? D: I'm doing this on easy and I feel like I can't catch a break.

Any clues as to how to complete this one would be appreciated btw. But shouldn't you be able to take it easy, on easy? =/

I HATE sick race-against-time maps like this. I don't want to have to stress over a game. The worst part is having to start the damn thing over every time, and you will have to start over. Because you won't know what you're walking into, and WILL ♥♥♥♥ it up on the first, second and third try :mad:

Great game tho.

I just decided to actually sit and play this and did the whole game on easy in under an hour. For most of the levels, capture ai use ai then kill it and you have all the time in the world. That approach worked for me on all but 2 levels but I won't let you know about those :)

wlayton27
08-21-2011, 09:17 AM
mattjd, I would also like to know how you managed Metallion. I wrote a "nerf" for this level because I thought it was way too difficult even compared to the missions after it. But I also got a response saying that I over-did it when I reduced the difficulty and it was more of a breeze on easy.

I prefer to play on hard difficulty and I'm still seeing only a marginal difference in skill level compared to easy or normal. It's noticeable, but not quite enough to make the easy skill level a more relaxed setting where players can "catch a break."

EDIT: Went back and tried again on easy and it only took two attempts this morning. Don't know about strategies for this one; my first strategy that I used was the winning strategy for this level. I'm going to say that it's outright impossible on Hard and barely passable on easy.

Spoiler:

Wait for the DOS attack to charge at least half way. Purchase one firewall upgrade and three CPU upgrades; leave $40,000 in your account.

Firewall attack the first AI server and log out to [localhost] to reset the trace. Open the first AI server's interface and toggle the third switch. Add this server as a bounce.

Firewall attack the second AI server and open its interface. Switch the first toggle switch. Add this server as a bounce.

Firewall attack the third AI server and toggle the second switch. Add as a bounce.

DOS attack the fourth AI server (and optionally use your EMP attack as well -- this attack will cost some precious bounce time on the first three bounces so consider that before launching it). Add it as a bounce and attack the satellite firewall.

Switch back to [localhost] to reset the trace timer and start your first key crack right away. Move as quickly as you can because the bounce timer on the first AI server is the time you have remaining to finish the SECOND key crack in this level.

Open the interface and toggle the second switch. Firewall attack the mainframe server and start your key crack (if the trace timer is greater than the bounce timer on the first AI server, there is no need to reset the trace timer by logging out). Expect the first bounce to time out and a trace to start without any ten second warning. If your trace goes above 15%, you will get a "mission failed" message. Disregard any message and just drive on. Log out and back in and upload the file to satisfy a mission objective. Then add the mainframe as a bounce.

Firewall attack the AI servers again and use your DOS/EMP attacks to finish them off. Purchase integrity as you need it. Make sure you purchase enough integrity to drop your trace level below 15% if you "failed the mission objective" earlier. If you have some money to spare, purchase firewall because if that mainframe bounce times out, you won't be able to get enough CPU power to get it back again.

With this all out of the way, you are free to attack the satellite at your leisure.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/60a08
^^ This is a screenshot of my latest attempt. It's got a fairly good margin before mission failure, so the mission is certainly doable on easy at least.

mattjd
08-21-2011, 10:50 AM
um, well I just did it again and it took about 11 minutes. What I did was along the lines of...

Upgrade 2 cpu and attack first server. Bounce through it and attack the second. Bounce through that and attack third. Bounce through that and upgrade cpu to be able to attack fourth. Attack fourth and bounce through it (should now be 30 cpu). Attack the satellite, key crack and solve the simple puzzle which opens up the other server. Bounce through the satellite and attack the other satellite, key crack then upload the virus.

Next I need to get rid of the other servers. I go for the AI servers first. 1-3 have 2 integrity, 4 has 4 integrity. If 1-3 are about to release from my firewall hacks I'll use DOS/firewall hack them to kill them, else use EMP. The 4th server I use whatever attacks I have spare at the time. Once they are dealt with I just attack the satellite and aim to kill it before the virus server releases from the bounce to avoid trace. Worked twice for me now.

mattjd
08-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Just did it again. 9m 21s this time. I varied the approach slightly. All the same except that after hacking the firewall of the virus server but before cracking it, I used my emp and dos on the ai servers so that the "weapons" charged up while I cracked. This seemed to help a bit more. I then continued as per the previous post.

McBeak
08-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Just completed it on 11m 22s now. I took wlayton27's advice and saved the money for lowering the trace level, but I somehow managed to keep it below 15% and keeping the 40 grand. If I'd been just a couple of seconds faster, I might even have done it with no trace level increase at all.

But then, I think I'm getting better at the decryption minigame. Every time I do it, it shows a similar pattern, making it easier to find some of the numbers. Maybe that's the thing that saved me this time ^^

Appreciate the help. I'd considered maybe saving some cash for firewalls to get some extra trace time when I finally ran out, or I'd lost all my bounces. But I didn't know you could complete a mission even after going over the limit!

Sunfit
08-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Hello :):)