PDA

View Full Version : If a photoradar camera flashes, is it a guaranteed ticket?

Bearkin
08-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I was driving down a road which I knew is a hotspot for photoradar. The speed limit of the road is 50. As I neared cars, I would slow down to about 50, pass them, then go to 55 or 60.

As I drove by one car, I looked and of course inside was the guy with the giant camera. I immediately looked at the speedometer and it said my speed was about 51. Seeing that, I relaxed. Yet only a second later, the camera flashed.

What I want to know is will it be a guaranteed ticket? Is it possible they sometimes take pictures for people going just over but don't issue tickets?

Two things I should note. First off, like I said, I was going 55 or 60 in between cars. Is it possible that they set up some sort of laser or something before the car? As in, maybe I sped through the laser and only slowed down for the picture?

The other thing is on my way back, they had one of those "Your speed is:" things. It said I was going about 50 when my speedmeter said I was going about 44. Is the giant machine thing 100% accurate?

All in all I'm pretty worried and pissed. I was in full belief that I wasn't speeding and I was going to be fine and yet the flash came anyways.

Azof
08-21-2011, 09:28 PM
I thought you were giving a 10th over the limit.
Like if you was 60 mph you could go over to 66 mph.

Maybe I was mislead.

Shadoww0lf
08-21-2011, 09:30 PM
No. Traffic cameras work on assumptions, and they make a lot of miscalculations. Red light camera flashes go off all the time, but only a handful of those are actually violations. In a sense, all cases are reviewed.

"Your speed is" signs aren't cameras. Those signs exist to intimidate you and serve as a reminder.

Shadoww0lf
08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Actually, where do you live?

Gimme5
08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
No. Traffic cameras work on assumptions, and they make a lot of miscalculations. Red light camera flashes go off all the time, but only a handful of those are actually violations. In a sense, all cases are reviewed.

"Your speed is" signs aren't cameras. Those signs exist to intimidate you and serve as a reminder.

^This. I remeber when i was a kid, my mom actually passed a light, and a quick flash appeared. She started freaking out thinking she got a ticket(Primarily because i kept pestering her about it)..but after a few weeks there was no indication/mail that she received a ticket so it is all depends on how they review it.

Bearkin
08-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I thought you were giving a 10th over the limit.
Like if you was 60 mph you could go over to 66 mph.

Maybe I was mislead.

With possible speed calculation errors, it's possible it found me over 55.

I realize the "Your speed is" sign isn't a camera, I was just pointing out that its speed and my speedometer's speed weren't matched, meaning I could have been going faster than I thought.

Actually, where do you live?

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

^This. I remeber when i was a kid, my mom actually passed a light, and a quick flash appeared. She started freaking out thinking she got a ticket(Primarily because i kept pestering her about it)..but after a few weeks there was no indication/mail that she received a ticket so it is all depends on how they review it.

I really hope so.

Bearkin
08-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Actually, apparently there was a fiasco in Edmonton (found it by google searching, surprisingly I never heard about it earlier) where all photoradar tickets issues from some date in 2009 to January 2011 were wiped because of one faulty camera. I know it's a loooooong shot but that gives me hope.

wits
08-21-2011, 09:43 PM
My brother got a ticket from one of the cameras catching him running a light, he clearly ran it, but the process of paying for it is pretty ridiculous. So, running a red light will get you points on you license if a cop catches you, but if the camera gets you it's no points and double the price. Also you have to pay either online or send a check to some place in Iowa or Indiana. Wtf is that?

0ddity
08-21-2011, 09:51 PM
(valid in US only)I have not tried this myself, but camera tickets do not stand up constitutionally if you don't just give up and pay it. In US courts, you have a constitutional right to cross examine your accuser before being found guilty of anything. In most traffic ticket cases, that means the police officer who issued the ticket. In the case of traffic cameras, all you have to do is demand a trial so you can cross examine your accuser. To properly do this you need the source code for the software that runs the camera. Since these cameras are run by private companies, this software is proprietary and they will not put the source code in the public record by making it available for expert examination. No witness/accuser to confront, no conviction.

Snorkel
08-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Where I live, if a camera in a box on a pole flashes, then either you, or the person driving the other way will get a ticket.

But they also park white vans beside the road next to these installations sometimes, and they flash everyone...and ticket the people who go too fast too. I wonder if they're there to calibrate the camera on the pole...but yeah, I get flashed by those all the time and no tickets.

Reebdoog
08-21-2011, 10:07 PM
It depends. In Australia (Well, NSW anyway) The speed cameras will book you for anything over the speed, I've seen some for 2km over the limit. However sometimes the do fire and you don't get a ticket for whatever reason. If there are 2 cars in the picture, sometimes they can't tell who was the one speeding, and no one gets a fine.

skippy72294
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Generally in the US (or my area at least) they won't bust you for ~5 over. I usually cruise around 5-10 over and they don't bother me... hell, the 2 times I remember getting pulled over with someone driving (i still have a clean record, almost a year on my license) was for doing 70~75 in a 55, that they will bust you for

Gustave5436
08-21-2011, 10:34 PM
My brother got a ticket from one of the cameras catching him running a light, he clearly ran it, but the process of paying for it is pretty ridiculous. So, running a red light will get you points on you license if a cop catches you, but if the camera gets you it's no points and double the price. Also you have to pay either online or send a check to some place in Iowa or Indiana. Wtf is that?

Those stoplight cameras are basically a private scam; some company makes the local government pay like a million dollars to put up expensive cameras everywhere, then rakes in the profits from the tickets. It's been reported that they don't actually do anything to decrease traffic collisions/casualties, and police in some areas are rethinking their use for that reason.

That's probably why you have to pay it to some random (presumably out of state) place, it's basically just some crafty company's pork project.

Garbagemanfight
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I've been flashed a couple times without any resulting ticket in the mail. They need a clear picture of both your license plate and your face to make it valid and sometimes one or both might not come out so well and they won't issue a ticket in that case.

cloropad
08-21-2011, 10:47 PM
I heard you can pretty much ignore it if you do get a ticket from it, and they don't enforce the ticket paying. Because the tickets from those radars are so controversial, and they cause more accidents than they prevent.

Snorkel
08-21-2011, 11:26 PM
I heard you can pretty much ignore it if you do get a ticket from it, and they don't enforce the ticket paying. Because the tickets from those radars are so controversial, and they cause more accidents than they prevent.

That's certainly not the case where I live.

Blinxx
08-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Going 55 in a 50? You terrible terrible person! :p

In the UK, if one of them flashes then it is probably/most definitely a ticket. What you could do is request a photo of the incident, as if they can't provide one then it is void. But they can usually always provide one. If you don't hear anything within 3 days it's probably safe to say that you are off the hook. The giant machine things that show your speed aren't always accurate, so don't go by them.

skippy72294
08-21-2011, 11:40 PM

More like "Challenge accepted! :cool:" to me...