PDA

View Full Version : No npc traders?

Kou
08-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Perhaps I'm doing this wrong but for the life of me I can not get any npcs to trade energy cells to either my ore mine or my solar plant.

After testing both and setting to their price to 20 creds per unit, 4 over the average and the max it seems, I sat in seta for one hour while doing chores about the house. After returning, I discovered that neither had received any trades in that time frame.

And yes, I did toss credits onto the factories to pay the traders who would, or rather I thought would, arrive and thus fuel my growing empire. Course it isn't growing right now, it has staled and falling flat into the ground.

Is there some bug associated with a complete lack of traders?

CarloTheCurious
08-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Perhaps I'm doing this wrong but for the life of me I can not get any npcs to trade energy cells to either my ore mine or my solar plant.
Eh? Solar power plants don't buy energy cells. What are you actually trying to do?

Also, which game/version/mods are you playing?

Melfice
08-21-2011, 09:19 PM
NPC traders will look for the best deal around.
If you set the prices of your production goods to the highest, they won't buy your stuff since there are cheaper alternatives around.

Kou
08-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Eh? Solar power plants don't buy energy cells. What are you actually trying to do?

Also, which game/version/mods are you playing?

No mods. And I'm sorry for how I posted that. This is for X3:TC with no mods.

My ore mine is set to purchase energy cells at a rate over the average while still maintaining the sale price on the resulting ore that is lower than the most expensive in 3 sectors. However I simply am not getting npcs to visit the factory.

The same goes for the solar plant which is set to purchase crystals at a rate that is above the closest stations to it in 3 sectors and sell energy cells at a rate that still holds a profit. Neither is getting attention from npc traders and I simply am not seeing any of them about where ever I go.

NPC traders will look for the best deal around.
If you set the prices of your production goods to the highest, they won't buy your stuff since there are cheaper alternatives around.

My production goods are actually set to a low rate, it is a matter of getting the materials to create them that is holding me back.

Edit: I'm aware that I do need my own ships to acquire these goods, by my capture rate has been rather low which has left me at the mercy of this system where I simply am not seeing npc traders.

Edit: As I now have a fleet of trading ships thanks to a handful of ship captures, I'm no longer at the mercy of the npcs.

CarloTheCurious
08-22-2011, 12:53 AM
If the prices are set appropriately then NPC ships should trade with your stations (unless you change the settings so they can't), but it may take a fair while for them to show up. Also, if you're in an area with high pirate/Xenon activity they may just get blown up on the way.

3 sectors probably isn't far enough to check prices though - iirc, NPC freetraders will roam a lot further than that for a good deal.

As you've noted, you're better off using your own ships for most things - if you install the bonus pack then you can use a single CAG ship for most stations.

ĸƦɸʍ
08-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Mining bots work great for crystals/ore reqs if you hub a complex kit between a solar plant + crysta-fab + Misc factory(requiring ore) + etc.. rigging to an ore/silicon node is great but can possibly impede trade flow due to the extra massive object and asteroid fields they commonly reside. Extremely large factory complexes are very profitable but can be a frame rate killer in view. 100+ unit will cap your income in a day or so alone in seta leaving tons of credits for increasing your fleet. Out of sector or view this is a minimal performance hit.

Npc traders favor complex hubs for obvious reasons if they are in constant production of local in-demand goods, while having your own sector/universe traders I find more profitable..

Miners techincaly have the shortest startup time, and with enough of them you will rarely be in shortage of silicon or ore. They are not likely to travel over 10 sectors lacking directions w/o a jumpdrive, refueling is no prob with mini solar hubs scattered around. Jumpdrives can also cut commodity vessels losses in a snap rarely ever engaging combat, and allowing bypasses of markedly hostile sectors. This requires another equip dock route on setup but will save you in the long run.

http://www.egosoft.com/download/x3tc/bonus_en.php
bonus official script package here works alright for some tasks, commodity/commercial scripts overide job progression/types so beware if used.