PDA

View Full Version : Skipping text when restarting a level

careface312
08-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Is there a way to do this already that I've missed? If not can the devs have a look at implementing it?

Can be a tad annoying having to mash space when you restart a level. It's the only thing that hurts the game in my eyes and I hate puzzle games so congrats on turning me devs :)

WilliamSSS
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
We'll see what we can do to avoid that :)
Thank you for your feedback

Ravnecks2.0
08-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Yes please. It can really be annoying.

What would be best is if there where some kind of reverse function like in Braid or Toki Tori. So you could trackback before you died or made a mistake and not having to start the whole level all over again. But I think this is too much to ask for.

thynth
08-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Yes please. It can really be annoying.

What would be best is if there where some kind of reverse function like in Braid or Toki Tori. So you could trackback before you died or made a mistake and not having to start the whole level all over again. But I think this is too much to ask for.

Then go and play BRAID or Toki Tori...:rolleyes:

Ravnecks2.0
08-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Then go and play BRAID or Toki Tori...:rolleyes:

No need to troll me. It was just a suggestion.
I love this game. A way of not having to start the whole level again would just be a great improvement.

careface312
08-23-2011, 05:09 AM
No need to troll me. It was just a suggestion.
I love this game. A way of not having to start the whole level again would just be a great improvement.

He's got a point in all honesty, 'make your game more like these ones that I like' is a pretty dumb suggestion.

Ravnecks2.0
08-23-2011, 08:59 AM
He's got a point in all honesty, 'make your game more like these ones that I like' is a pretty dumb suggestion.

OMG I cant believe it. Here comes the next one calling me dumb.
It seems next time I may only make suggestions without giving examples.
Like I said I love this game and in no way did i say "Make it like game x/y". BTM belongs to the puzzle plattformer genre like Braid and Toki Tori FOR EXAMPLE. And it is a nice-to-have feature for this genre. In Toki Tori a reverse feature was added because people (like me) asked for it. Also I really haven't been rude as I even said "But I think this is too much to ask for."

To repeat:
I love this game.
I like it for what it is. And I will try to get nearly all achievments.
A possibility to skip text when restarting a level would be great.
A reverse function would even be greater.
I really love this game.

So please stop trolling me.

inspiral66
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Ravneck's suggestion was a perfectly valid one. He mentioned Braid and Toki Tori simply as away of illustrating how a rewind feature would work in BTM. Don't let's start falling out over it, for god's sake. I can understand when people snark on forums for tuber-competitive games, but this is a cute single-player puzzler. There's no need to go snarking at each other here.

Sheepdude86
08-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Rewind would make the Big Mama levels, which are essentially orthodox platforming levels, too easy. It makes sense in Toki Tori since it's a straight puzzle game (no real platform jumping), and of course rewinding impacts the actual gameplay in Braid. I won't say I'm completely against such a feature in BTM, but the levels are short enough anyway.

inspiral66
08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Rewind would make the Big Mama levels, which are essentially orthodox platforming levels, too easy. It makes sense in Toki Tori since it's a straight puzzle game (no real platform jumping), and of course rewinding impacts the actual gameplay in Braid. I won't say I'm completely against such a feature in BTM, but the levels are short enough anyway.

Yep, I'm inclined to agree with you.

thynth
08-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Can be a tad annoying
In 029-Hellgate it's totally annoying. ;)

WilliamSSS
08-25-2011, 01:25 PM
"Skip dialogs" and "rewind" are two different things.

We will probably not add a rewind feature cause this is way too much work to do when it's not planned since the beginning ,and because the game is what it is :)
But for dialogs, we'll see what we can do.

donnymill
08-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Like you I'm not against the idea of such a feature but don't really think it's necessary as levels tend to be pretty small and quickly beaten.

It could definitely impact the Big Mama levels in a negative as you say, but that's easily handled by disabling the feature on Big Mama levels. Not that I think the feature will ever be added, but it's not an entirely terrible idea. Maybe something for the developers to think about in terms of a potential sequel.

GuillaumeSSS
08-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Hi all, interesting thread!

Like William said, we didn't included a rewind feature by design. Maybe it's good, maybe it's wrong, each one of you have got solid arguments!

Maybe the "middle solution" between nothing and rewind feature would have been checkpoints.

So we are not oblige to put checkpoints in Bigmamas level (neither in some short levels), but when it come to longer level, maybe a little check point (like in the level 019 Exploration).

We will may think about this checkpoint that could be useful in Community level if a creator want to make big exploration levels.

As for the skip text, which is the name of the topic, I think we can handle this :)

And be kind, please don't be rude to each other in forum :(
If there is a dumb person here, that's me! ok? :)

Peace!

Guillaume

CannibalBob
09-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm having a great time with this game, too, but the text popups and full-level-reset brings me down. Checkpoints or a rewind feature would be ideal, but it's probably easier to add a 'quicksave' feature.

The_Phantom_07
09-04-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm having a great time with this game, too, but the text popups and full-level-reset brings me down. Checkpoints or a rewind feature would be ideal, but it's probably easier to add a 'quicksave' feature.

I agree with you. A quicksave function is a good idea and the easiest way to add such an feature! :cool:

Sheepdude86
09-04-2011, 07:03 PM

+rep for a smart suggestion Bob. By the way, I found out through another user that you can use W (or whatever your Reset button is bound to) to skip all the dialogue.

careface312
09-05-2011, 03:51 AM
+rep for a smart suggestion Bob. By the way, I found out through another user that you can use W (or whatever your Reset button is bound to) to skip all the dialogue.

Yeah it got added in the recent patch.

I don't get why people are saying there's a need for a quicksave feature, levels really aren't not that long. I think at most I had to restart 8-9 times on a level and it never felt like a chore to quickly run upto the bit I died on.

inspiral66
09-05-2011, 09:13 AM
This thread seems to be more about quicksaves and checkpoints than skipping text now. Perhaps we should start a new thread? Until then, I have to say I'm unsure whether the game would benefit from tweaks in this department. Sure, on levels like 34, 'Child's Play', I would have liked a checkpoint after the initial race against the burning blocks. I had to do it umpteen times as I failed to negotiate traps and puzzles later in that level. I grew sick of that level! And I'm sure the remaining levels and bonus levels will have some frustrating moments, too. One problem I foresee with checkpoints is what happens when you're after a star and realise your route or method isn't working out? Will self-destruct restart the level or merely return you to a halfway checkpoint?

TurtleKing
11-03-2011, 04:16 AM
This thread seems to be more about quicksaves and checkpoints than skipping text now. Perhaps we should start a new thread? Until then, I have to say I'm unsure whether the game would benefit from tweaks in this department. Sure, on levels like 34, 'Child's Play', I would have liked a checkpoint after the initial race against the burning blocks. I had to do it umpteen times as I failed to negotiate traps and puzzles later in that level. I grew sick of that level! And I'm sure the remaining levels and bonus levels will have some frustrating moments, too. One problem I foresee with checkpoints is what happens when you're after a star and realise your route or method isn't working out? Will self-destruct restart the level or merely return you to a halfway checkpoint?
It could be an option added to the editor mode. If people want the help to get through a level, I don't see why others would care. It's not like your playing against real player to consider it unfair.

I am currently stuck on Child's play cause it's a little rough on the short memory (remembering the sequence of lava drops + solving block puzzle + paranoia of dying or getting stuck).

On Topic: Thanks for the "hold w" tip for skipping dialog.