PDA

View Full Version : BF3 + Dedicated Server Files: Won't happen

Zyinxz
08-23-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/17209-battlefield-3-dedicated-pc-servers-rsp-exclusive/

While BF3 won't have dedicated server files being released, guess which game will? -sigh-

https://twitter.com/#!/OneOfSwords/status/104252664065437697

MrChris
08-23-2011, 05:12 PM
old news braw

its part of EA's business model with how the ranked servers work, Activision had to throw something out there to try and distract PC players

I myself don't care but know others will

gonna play havoc with MW3 though lol especially since they want to give out prizes ha

Zyinxz
08-23-2011, 05:13 PM
old news braw

its part of EA's business model with how the ranked servers work, Activision had to throw something out there to try and distract PC players

I myself don't care but know others will

gonna play havoc with MW3 though lol especially since they want to give out prizes ha

They could always add in unranked..

Lethal_Sting
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Nah, someone smart would crack the files, allowing it to run ranked.

I mean, how long did it take for someone to crack the BF2 demo server files and get rid of the time limit?

jonvan
08-23-2011, 08:50 PM

I mean, how long did it take for someone to crack the BF2 demo server files and get rid of the time limit?

You forget, according to them, we're not smart enough to do anything of that sort. Hence no mod tools. :)

Lethal_Sting
08-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Ah right how stupid of me to forget!

Now where did I set that rubik's cube...

Specopsg
08-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I think it's hilarious that EA and DICE are more concerned about a player's rank. It's an arbitrary number that shows nothing except that you've played the game.

flarp
08-24-2011, 01:10 AM
Dont worry guys BF3 will be a true PC game!

:rolleyes:

Specopsg
08-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Dont worry guys Red Orchestra 2 will be a true PC game!

Fixed that for ya, bud. :D

flarp
08-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Fixed that for ya, bud. :D

true that +rep

my most anticipated fps release since hl2...

NorthernKingdom
08-24-2011, 01:17 AM
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/17209-battlefield-3-dedicated-pc-servers-rsp-exclusive/

While BF3 won't have dedicated server files being released, guess which game will? -sigh-

https://twitter.com/#!/OneOfSwords/status/104252664065437697

The PC FPS multiplayer community are such scumbags today that removing access to these files makes for a more enjoyable game experience for all involved. Hopefully this means exploitative/cheating scum is attracted elsewhere.

Modern Warfail was a disaster but World at War was an even worse disaster. Black Ops was slightly better but had other issues that made it almost equally disastrous playing online with the other two that allowed access. I guess Activision at this point just stopped caring about the PC experience because it won't make for a better community for anyone but asshats.

Specopsg
08-24-2011, 01:22 AM
true that +rep

my most anticipated fps release since hl2...

Have you seen TotalBiscuit's GC vids? The game looks amazing even if TB did record the screen.

flarp
08-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Have you seen TotalBiscuit's GC vids? The game looks amazing even if TB did record the screen.

no i have not. would you mind PMing me the links please?

Specopsg
08-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Red Orchestra 2: Dinosaurs and Aliens

Just sayin'

Not_Matlock
08-24-2011, 02:16 AM
There's no point in doing that. Even in the alpha there were people that somehow managed to get ranks of 50 and above. People are always going to find ways to pad their stats or completely bypass the unlock and ranking system. If almost every BF game I've played the top players did nothing but artificially inflate their scores in one way or another.

jonvan
08-24-2011, 07:37 AM
People will always find a way around whatever anti-cheat system a company uses, just as they have with all DRM on the market. EA/DICE is using the anti-cheat "propaganda" as a way to make people agree that dedicated servers files are bad. If they say by having proprietary servers, this will cut back on cheating people will believe it. Sadly.

If they prevent people from hosting servers themselves, they're creating business for hosting companies. And if they have an exclusive deal with a specific company for server hosting, there goes any sort of competition in the market.

It's a win-win for both EA and server hosting companies.

Redtide
08-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Seeing as how they actually let you change settings for your server in BC2, I'm not too against this. Some games don't let you tweak any settings at all.

jonvan
08-24-2011, 08:16 AM
For me, the concern isn't being able to change settings. My concern is twofold. Forcing people to rent servers, where they may want to host it on a high grade server of their own. Also, having server files would allow for someone to actually figure out the engine and help find a way to mod the game/server. Yet another reason they will not release the files.

hahahehe
08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Just want to address one false piece of info thats being thrown around in this thread.

The server files cannot be used to create hacks with. Hacks are client side software (usually DLL files) which are injected into the games exe file to alter the way the exe interacts with the engine in some way.

As the dedicated server files contain neither the game EXE or any engine files (these are both run from the client side) having a copy of the server files would be as useless to the hacker as having a shotgun with no rounds to fire.

DICE wanna keep the server files private to prevent hackers from creating hacked lobbys and falsifying stat information. It has nothing to do with cheat prevention.

Zukabazuka
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Just want to address one false piece of info thats being thrown around in this thread.

The server files cannot be used to create hacks with. Hacks are client side software (usually DLL files) which are injected into the games exe file to alter the way the exe interacts with the engine in some way.

As the dedicated server files contain neither the game EXE or any engine files (these are both run from the client side) having a copy of the server files would be as useless to the hacker as having a shotgun with no rounds to fire.

DICE wanna keep the server files private to prevent hackers from creating hacked lobbys and falsifying stat information. It has nothing to do with cheat prevention.

Last time in BC2 when the server files where released the figured out how to teleport people right in front of you or where you was aiming. I would consider that a big thing to hide.

Valerianus
08-24-2011, 12:28 PM
They are keeping the server files private as a means of keeping pirates from playing on cracked servers. Nothing more. Pity to those LAN people, though.

BlueTrin
08-24-2011, 02:27 PM

You just have to issue cdkey to the ranked servers and ask them to register their IP and identify them. Use cryptography to prevent the problem of public private servers ... Problem solved ...

If EA is customizing and registering each server they could charge a bit of money for each ranked server and make even more money for taking the time to set them up ?

jonvan
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Last time in BC2 when the server files where released the figured out how to teleport people right in front of you or where you was aiming. I would consider that a big thing to hide.

That is nothing new. Server hosts have always been able to have such plugins added to their system that allowed such a thing. If someone used it maliciously, don't go to their server anymore. Problem solved.

hahahehe
08-25-2011, 01:27 AM

Still got nothing to do with the actual server files per se. Its just a plugin for the server. The creators would of still needed the game files and not the server files to make the plugin.

Its fairly simple, the server files dont have a copy of or run either the game engine or the original game exe file as the dedicated server does not run the game in the traditional sense.

MaydaX
08-25-2011, 05:12 AM

Ofc they did because the server files had the debug info (A .pdb file of the game exe) included which gave the hackers a road map to the game. BTW Crysis 2 had teleport hacks too long before the unranked server files were released.

They are keeping the server files private as a means of keeping pirates from playing on cracked servers. Nothing more. Pity to those LAN people, though.

BC2 server files have been leaked to the internet for over a year now and no one has created a working cracked server. Even MoH, BFP4F, BF Heroes and even the BF3 Alpha Trial have been obtained by the same group that originally leaked the BC2 files.

Another area that is falling behind is the lack of public server files. The common reason used by developers today is piracy and prevents cheating. Server files have nothing to do with developing hacks which is shown by all the hacks available for CoDBO, BC2, MoH, BF Heroes, BF P4F and Crysis 2. All of which have no public server files. Just because a game doesnít have public server files doesnít mean cheat developers donít have access to them. There are a lot of RSPís and it only takes one person with access to leak the files. Same goes for insecure servers that can be breached.

As for the piracy side of it take Battlefield Bad Company 2 (BC2) as an example, the game is designed to combat piracy out of the box. Everyone must login to the backend to play the game online. You can not connect directly to a server without the backend which is what the typical cracked server blocks to prevent cd-key checks. Because of this legitimate owners would not be able to play on a cracked server and pirates would not be able to play on legit servers.

Pirates would have to emulate the plasma backend to even connect to a server. Even if pirates made a working backend emulator the game experence would be far worse because of a higher number of cheaters, lack of players and servers. That may actually encourage players to buy a retail copy.