PDA

View Full Version : They just followed GW and made it melee only game

creagor
08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
What a load of crap, I just stated the demo and found out from the first 2 sub bosses this is going to be a war hammer fantasy all melee game, best way to kill some thing in the game is run at it and hit it with a big stick (what a load of crap). They ran right at me and gave no time to shoot. When you do get to shoot it takes 4-5 shots to kill any thing(normal slugs that is). From the stand point of a total fan you failed to get the feel or game play of a Marine. A bolter is god it shoots a self propelled rocket that explodes when it enters a body and shatters from the inside of the target, all the bolter is in game are 9m with no hot loads. What a waste of time to make this crap. I do love how a chain sword take 3-4 hits as well to kill as this weapon is a chain saw with titanium blades. This has to be a total touched but GW game as in what an epic failure.

TheTaffer
08-23-2011, 11:19 PM
yes do you want a multiplayer game where all guns are one shot kill? or a game that's fun that has to bend the lore slightly to work?

Ebannaw1
08-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Are you kidding me? Everything in this game works exactly the way it should. If you know anything about warhammer 40k, you'd know that Orks are very tough to kill. I've found that a 2-4 shots from a bolt pistol or bolter easily do in an Ork. Exploding them even like a bolter really would. Ork strength lies in their numbers and close in fighting, so obviously, a chainsword is pretty frigging handy.

Quit ♥♥♥♥♥ing.

Screecher
08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Play on easy or get headshots.

Mr_Eon
08-24-2011, 02:43 AM
yes do you want a multiplayer game where all guns are one shot kill? or a game that's fun that has to bend the lore slightly to work?

Personally I don't want a multiplayer game AT ALL. I would settle for a game that has to bend the lore slightly to be fun, but I don't feel from the demo that we got that either...

Overall, if I'm playing a nine foot tall, genetically engineered monster of a super soldier I want to feel empowered - but meleeing a hundred orcs to death felt more like playing Katamari Damacy than anything else.

DarkChaplain
08-24-2011, 03:22 AM
You can shoot Orks' brains out and they'll still run at you to deliver furious hits. That's exactly how they work.

fallinroxas
08-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Green is best.

Bobafett2k6
08-24-2011, 03:53 AM
You can shoot Orks' brains out and they'll still run at you to deliver furious hits. That's exactly how they work.

Orks have brains? ;)

DarkChaplain
08-24-2011, 03:53 AM
REDS GO FASTA!

bewilderedronin
08-24-2011, 04:21 AM
I dunno. Felt empowering to me. I think it's all about the gameplay. Some people just really don't like Hack 'n' Slash/Beat 'em Up games. Some people are nuts about them. I grew up crunching quarters into games like Final Fight, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Golden Axe, Renegade, Double Dragon, Bad Dudes, Crime Fighters, etc. so these kinds of games are right up my alley.

Because everyone wanted to cash in with a God of War clone, there ushered in a new era with a new feature to the Beat 'em Up formula: puzzles! Although, TBH, the Legacy of Kain series did a much better job of the whole Puzzle/Beat 'em Up mix and also did it earlier, God of War was a huge success and spawned a rash of wannabes, even to this day.

40k:SM seems to be going back to the Final Fight formula: beat the crap out of everything. The trick is finesse and knowing the area. Rolling out of the way and pushing/pulling the tides of orks. Just meleeing doesn't really work too well for me. I've found the best route is to melee when surrounded and repair health when needed by executing, retreat and suppress using the bolter, let the shields charge back up, then re-engage. Using the stun at various stages does different things, too. Using a stun as the very last attack in the chain (4th attack) will stomp the ground (chainsword equipped) and send the enemy flying and stunned. The display is different with the Power Axe, but the technique is the same.

My only real complaint is that the attack combo system seems very shallow.

SeanHraefn
08-24-2011, 05:40 AM
I was able to quite easily win most engagements with pure ranged weapons. Just involved some fancy rolling and the occasional knockback.

I only play on Hard, so... aim better?

And do you have any idea how hard it is to actually kill an Ork?

You could cut off it's head and it would still be yelling at you for a while.

Do you know how they make an Ork Killa Kan? They open the mech, throw in a boy, stab the wiring into his head and weld it shut.

ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS

Bobafett2k6
08-24-2011, 07:09 AM
And do you have any idea how hard it is to actually kill an Ork?

You could cut off it's head and it would still be yelling at you for a while.

Do you know how they make an Ork Killa Kan? They open the mech, throw in a boy, stab the wiring into his head and weld it shut.

ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS

Is that a list of reasons to have an Ork campaign? Looks like it to me...

sgt.nightfire
08-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Rampaging around as a big Orc bozz? IM IN!

Jibberish
08-24-2011, 08:04 AM
The amount of money I'd pay for "Space Marine 2: Warboss" (ie, same style game, but playing as a warboss on an orky waaaaagh) is obscene.

And OP, it's kind of funny but it seems to me you have the exact opposite impression of the demo from every other hardcore warhammer 40k fan I know. They all love it and think it is a perfect translation of the enviornment to a third person action game.

SeanHraefn
08-24-2011, 08:06 AM
I'd personally call it "Warhammer 40k: Right Stompy"

he11h0und625
08-24-2011, 08:16 AM

I smell DLC

Bobafett2k6
08-24-2011, 08:36 AM
I smell DLC

I'd love to think there would be some SP DLC but sadly i doubt it. There'll be the usual skins and whatnot for MP.

An Ork campaign would be brilliant if the Space Marine demo is anything to go by.

he11h0und625
08-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I'd love to think there would be some SP DLC but sadly i doubt it. There'll be the usual skins and whatnot for MP.

An Ork campaign would be brilliant if the Space Marine demo is anything to go by.

I wouldn't completely discount it. The game hasn't come out yet, and I'm sure Relic will seriously think about DLC and expansions for this the way the did with Dawn of War.

If they were smart they'd make the MMO that WAR should've been.

SeanHraefn
08-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Both Vigil (Darksiders) and Relic are working on Dark Millennium Online, the Warhammer 40k MMO.

Vigil is the lead dev, but THQ got some Relic guys to go give them a hand due to their advanced experience with the license.

There's practically zero info out on the game right now though. It's scheduled for "Fiscal 2012 or 2013" which would be between April of '12 and April of '14.

They've SAID they're trying to make it more action-y than your standard MMO, but it also looks like it'll have a dumb two faction system like WAR where Orks and Chaos are on the same side.

As long as they explain it by making them Freebootaz workin' for lootz, I'm not going to be too sad about it.

Al_Ka_Pwn
08-24-2011, 09:08 AM
this is how the ork campaign should work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZryTrZh4OF4

NorthernKingdom
08-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Green iz best.

FTFY

Should have just made this "Da Boyz" and had it all about being a boy smashing imperial guard. Would have been a lot better than being a vag Space Marine boy scout who falls over when love tapped by da boyz.

NorthernKingdom
08-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Both Vigil (Darksiders) and Relic are working on Dark Millennium Online, the Warhammer 40k MMO.

Vigil is the lead dev, but THQ got some Relic guys to go give them a hand due to their advanced experience with the license.

There's practically zero info out on the game right now though. It's scheduled for "Fiscal 2012 or 2013" which would be between April of '12 and April of '14.

They've SAID they're trying to make it more action-y than your standard MMO, but it also looks like it'll have a dumb two faction system like WAR where Orks and Chaos are on the same side.

As long as they explain it by making them Freebootaz workin' for lootz, I'm not going to be too sad about it.

It's going to bomb harder than Warhammer Online did. :(

Scorcher24
08-24-2011, 09:28 AM
What a load of crap, I just stated the demo and found out from the first 2 sub bosses this is going to be a war hammer fantasy all melee game, best way to kill some thing in the game is run at it and hit it with a big stick (what a load of crap). They ran right at me and gave no time to shoot. When you do get to shoot it takes 4-5 shots to kill any thing(normal slugs that is). From the stand point of a total fan you failed to get the feel or game play of a Marine. A bolter is god it shoots a self propelled rocket that explodes when it enters a body and shatters from the inside of the target, all the bolter is in game are 9m with no hot loads. What a waste of time to make this crap. I do love how a chain sword take 3-4 hits as well to kill as this weapon is a chain saw with titanium blades. This has to be a total touched but GW game as in what an epic failure.

1.) It is not Fantasy. It is 40k.
2.) GW has ripped from Warhammer
3.) Did you even play it?

Farlong
08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Orks have brains? ;)

Thats why it takes several shots o kill them. Hard to hit that small thing. :D

bolter is god it shoots a self propelled rocket that explodes when it enters a body and shatters from the inside of the target, all the bolter is in game are 9m with no hot loads. What a waste of time to make this crap.

How dare you put fiction in my fiction?!

SeanHraefn
08-24-2011, 03:54 PM
It's going to bomb harder than Warhammer Online did. :(

I don't think it will, not with both Vigil and Relic on board.

There's not many companies that have never made a bad game. Vigil and Relic are two (though, of course, Vigil's lineup is a little sparse.

Have faith, THQ has used the 40k licence beautifully thus far.

Fraxxxi
08-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Orks have brains? ;)
interesting read: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Orkoid_physiology

The Ork brain is quite large, similar in structure to that of a human or Eldar.

or so says the 3rd edition codex

Foulplay
08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
LOL at the OP, this demo was fantastic. They put in the melee weapons so they actually get used properly in the game, and arent just a secondary "oh ♥♥♥♥ I'm out of ammo, better get my knife out" gameplay mechanic.

The combat is great, and if you dont get that this is a brawler more along the lines of Prototype rather than an a shooter like COD, then maybe this just isnt the game for you.

This game is not just fun, its a great PC game with an awesome demo, rather than the lazy ♥♥♥♥ console ports we've all been fed recently, its like christmas arrived early!

Pfheonix
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
I think if they were to make an MMO of Warhammer 40k, it should be persistent (obviously) and have about fifty planets, all in various states of invasion, colonization, et al. As in having one planet undergo an Ork invasion, and have players who are Imperial Guardsmen (i.e. destined to perish) go in to hold it until the Spehss Mahreens come in for the glory. It would actually be pretty cool, I feel.

creagor
08-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I would have liked a single player game that plays like single player, for the fans and you can have the total I am a Space Marine feel, not yea its a marine but my bolter is at the Techmarines for repairs and I'm using a guardsmanís lasgun for back up. The multi-player could still have 40 shots to kill any thing as any real skill in that end would have made the 5yr old unhappy so they cant get one shot (or at least any one who acts like a 5yr old, ok that's 90% of the multi-players any more). It just shows how the gaming industry really feels about the player base, create crap & keep churning it out. A turd can be polished how ever its still just a turd. To make game stats the str of the bolter is the same as the T of an ork that is you wound on a roll of a 3+ with a d6 & then the ork can make a save if it had one that was better than the armor pierce of the bolter & it doesnít the ork save is worse so if you wound an ork with a bolter it dies. This isnít the same with space marines/chaos marines as they have a really good save, second best in the game and can all ways roll to save. To make the same case on the chain sword itís a cc weapon with no special rules so you can wound on a roll of 3+ just like the bolter but it doesnít have an armor pierce so you all ways get a save from it, so the way the game plays is the weapon that sucks is cool but the weapon that should work better sucks, lame. I donít care that I sound like a total 40k freak but this game jarateed me off playing the demo, it sucked. Last thing I tried was to play through with just shooting, yea you cant even on easy. So any one who thinks this is balanced for multi player should think again if that doesnít work at all for single player the heavy weapon marine is just dead, this is all going to be a just jump pack multi player only game they didnít think about crap.

SeanHraefn
08-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Paragraphs mother♥♥♥♥er,
Do you use them?

aerundel
08-24-2011, 06:18 PM
The weapons follow the same balance as Dawn of War. Chainswords are fast and good for Boys, Power Axe is a bit slower and takes down Nobs, Thunderhammer is slowest and most powerful, meant for decisive strikes to blow back mobs of foes or totally overwhelm heavy defenses. The combat knife is closer to a "normal" weapon in this case, it's what the heavy gunners get to fight off melee. You can throw all that dice crap out the window - it has no bearing here, nor should it.

Singleplayer was not and will never be about shooting only, so you're jab at that tactic is moot. Multiplayer is a completely different question, and just because you get overrun by orks in singleplayer does not mean a mass of opposing marines can or will do that same. I don't disagree that there will be a lot of jumpers, but that's just because it's fun to do. Don't be surprised if they balance the heavies against that, though. It's pretty easy to get shot while jumping up and landing, from what I've seen in the demo.

teH_angRy_nIgHt
08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
The amount of money I'd pay for "Space Marine 2: Warboss" (ie, same style game, but playing as a warboss on an orky waaaaagh) is obscene.

And OP, it's kind of funny but it seems to me you have the exact opposite impression of the demo from every other hardcore warhammer 40k fan I know. They all love it and think it is a perfect translation of the enviornment to a third person action game.

I think any major Warhammer 40k fan would definitely love the presentation of this game. Any other gamer might be a bit disappointed with the gameplay. I love the Warhammer 40k universe, but I can see the combat in this game getting a bit stale, unless they keep the locations and visuals moving, as well as a much larger bestiary of enemies, particularly enemy types to fight. Melee is dominant, but the range weapons are working fine as well. But I'm only using them because just one clicking got a bit boring. And of course areas that are like duh that guy is far away, no jetpack, better use rifle.

They could have done more on combat, I wouldn't compare it to other third person games, but they could have took some hints, and still stayed true to lore. And who says a Space Marine wouldn't use cover? They are damn tough but not invulnerable.

This game looks and feels(so far) just as I thought it would look and feel. Gameplay feels half-assed.

But if you are a real long time fan of WarHammer I guess it would be plenty, but really you should demand more of a game set in your favorite lore and at full release prices.

teH_angRy_nIgHt
08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Thunderhammer is slowest and most powerful, .

Where did you find a Thunderhammer?

Farlong
08-24-2011, 06:35 PM

He didn't.

Ligerwing
08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't think it will, not with both Vigil and Relic on board.

There's not many companies that have never made a bad game. Vigil and Relic are two (though, of course, Vigil's lineup is a little sparse.

Have faith, THQ has used the 40k licence beautifully thus far.

I dunno, as much as I'd like to hope that Dark Millenium is a success, seeing the gameplay footage so far I don't have any hopes for the game. Especially given that it's set to come out much later than Guild Wars 2.

aerundel
08-24-2011, 08:31 PM

I don't need to find it to know what it does :p