PDA

View Full Version : Inexplicably Well Lit

XOmniverse
08-24-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm loving Deus Ex: HR so far, but I just realized something about 8 hours in and now it's going to bother me the rest of the game.

There is no flashlight. And rather than putting one in the game, the devs evidently decided to just make everything inexplicably well lit.

Every maintenance tunnel and ventilation system is evidently made of magic, luminescent metal that lights the way for you.

I hope someone makes a mod to fix this.

Demon Wraith
08-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Or maybe his vision is enhanced.

XOmniverse
08-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Or maybe his vision is enhanced.

Then we run into the issue of why an "old school" augmented agent has perfect night vision that requires no energy, and nanoaugmented JC Denton did not. And yes, JC Denton's vision was augmented :)

Armas
08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah I just assumed the retinal augs had some sort of futuristic auto-adjusting ultra-high-dynamic-range night vision mod in them... sweet.

Demon Wraith
08-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Then we run into the issue of why an "old school" augmented agent has perfect night vision that requires no energy, and nanoaugmented JC Denton did not. And yes, JC Denton's vision was augmented :)

Because JC Denton had idiots for designers. They put a flashlight in his head, for crying out loud.

They probably had his vision augments built by the lowest bidder.

SeanHraefn
08-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Denton's augmentations were most nano-tech.

Jensen's are all much more cybernetic. This actually allows for some more advanced stuff as nano-machines have to work with what's there, while cybernetics can add entirely new structures, such as the lenses that cover his eyes.

The nanobots, on the other hand, can only dilate his pupils so far.

XOmniverse
08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Denton's augmentations were most nano-tech.

Jensen's are all much more cybernetic. This actually allows for some more advanced stuff as nano-machines have to work with what's there, while cybernetics can add entirely new structures, such as the lenses that cover his eyes.

The nanobots, on the other hand, can only dilate his pupils so far.

Ah, but then we run into the issue of physics. In a very low light situation, even the best image enhancement will give you a fuzzy image because less light means less feedback from your environment. "Perfect night vision", while common in video games, is a complete myth. The only way to see things perfectly is to ADD LIGHT, via a flashlight, a lamp, etc.

But I doubt any of this is what the devs were thinking. More than likely, they thought flashlights were too complicated for some reason and removed them, and then had to make everything well lit to make the game playable.

Demon Wraith
08-24-2011, 09:08 AM
But I doubt any of this is what the devs were thinking. More than likely, they thought flashlights were too complicated for some reason and removed them, and then had to make everything well lit to make the game playable.

Or they thought that most flashlights in games are simply cludges to get around the fact that they use really poor lighting models, such that rooms that should even be well lit have oddly pitch black corners in them. And decided it was stupid to force them in to begin with just for vents.

masterthehero
08-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Actually I believe it was to fit the art style of the game, not that flashlights were too complicated.

Considering all the yellow outlines that appear on items and such, I believe they probably felt a flashlight would ruin the Bladerunner like atmosphere of the game. A white light shining on the wall would detract from the stylish black and gold color scheme and make looking at highlighted objects a little strange.

Personally, I'm glad they went with the non-flashlight route. I really hate micro managing rechargeable flashlights.

klkitchens
08-24-2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah I just assumed the retinal augs had some sort of futuristic auto-adjusting ultra-high-dynamic-range night vision mod in them... sweet.

If cameras can have increased apertures to perform better in low light (and higher ISO to compensate as well), I would think artificial eyes could do the same.

Of course, he's wearing sunglasses too :)

DuckStab
08-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Maybe had something to do with controller limitations? I haven't played the console version so I can't say if they use every button or not but that seems a likely culprit.

Cloud8521
08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559791921082048578/8DE8AD5D2F7A4C7633359FA41209C16C4CD11B59/

Armas
08-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Ah, but then we run into the issue of physics.

You know it's a sci-fi game, right? ;)

You can augment your skin to turn completely invisible (including your clothes) or walk through lasers, fall from any height without sound or injury, etc etc... and you're talking about night vision physics?

sarid
08-24-2011, 09:58 AM
dont you just love it when people argue over sci-fi?

swaaye
08-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I turned the game brightness all the way down once I saw how banded and washed out the night sky was. Clearly it was way too high by default. That I'm playing on a TV could be part of that though because their gamma is a bit different than a monitor. The game definitely looks better now though.

Vaemer-Riit
08-24-2011, 10:05 AM
dont you just love it when people argue over sci-fi?

Hey man sci-fi is serious business, we have conventions and everything. =^_^=