PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents on space marine demo

PiracyisWrong
08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
To be honest, i was not impressed, loved the lore since the tabletop and i feel like this gameplay was bland and doesnt do the lore or franchise justice. To me it feels like a money grab rather than a piece of art built for gamers.

Its very hack and slash repetitive, similar to dynasty warriors, but games like dynasty warriors kept my attention while this, just the short demo, made me feel like i was just walking down a hallway repeating the same 4 keys again, and again, and again. 30 minutes playing and im bored and just wanna play DOW2

Only way i can describe it, is as i said, bland and repetitive, only reason i could see to play is the story, and in that case ill just read one of the books...

I'm sorry THQ.

On a positive note, the game does run smoothly and its the first time in a long time u can load a game up and play it without 4 hours of pain in the ♥♥♥ work to get it to run on YOUR PC. Was impressed with the work in making it flow.

HECU Operative
08-25-2011, 02:09 AM
You must not have tried the power axe. I came.

blin
08-25-2011, 02:17 AM
No one cares!

SPACEHE MAREENEE ATTAKK!

dr_ogen
08-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Burn the Heretic! ;)

MoIeH
08-25-2011, 02:32 AM
and burn the topiccccc there's already 15 the same topicssssssss

Weatherking
08-25-2011, 06:01 AM
I agree that it could become repetitive if I wasn't so busy having fun turning orks into clouds of blood.

SeanHraefn
08-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Space Marines don't do fancy combos.

Space Marines walk forward and KILL.

They do not use finesse, they use brute force.

Their skill as swordsmen is basic at best, it's just the fact that they're 9 foot tall killing machines that gets the job done.

Zone_Dymo
08-25-2011, 06:04 AM
OP is clearly a modern gamer :P
This is an old school beat em up so it seems, not many of those arround these days (DMC is one of the few).

So yeah, if you seek more, this is not it for you.

he11h0und625
08-25-2011, 06:35 AM
This is an old school beat em up so it seems, not many of those arround these days (DMC is one of the few).

The best way i can describe this game is as if

Gears of War, Gauntlet, and Brute Force managed to have some kind of 3 DNA genetic abomination of a baby. Then that baby proceeded to eat darksiders.

I can't think of a better game to tide one over before BF3.

SeanHraefn
08-25-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm now picturing a giant baby with chainsaw teeth eating War.

teH_angRy_nIgHt
08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
The best way i can describe this game is as if

Gears of War, Gauntlet, and Brute Force managed to have some kind of 3 DNA genetic abomination of a baby. Then that baby proceeded to eat darksiders.

I can't think of a better game to tide one over before BF3.

DMC shows far better and diverse combat right off, I don't see things showing us a whole plethora of various abilities we can obtain. The one right off just one clicking all the time and use the range if a few guys are out of range and mostly because you get tired of pressing right click..

I don't think it is GRIM DARK enough either. From the opening of the chapters in the demos (unless they just leave out the good parts.. ) the marines act subtle like they are on a stroll in the park. I would expect to see guardsmen getting slaughtered in front of me, running and screaming, getting executed, getting sacrificed by uncompromising scorched earth tactics. NO ONE'S been executed.
What I'm saying for one, it's very linear, and you have to take the time to stop mid game and just make your marine go "oooo, big stuff" and then they designed things to spec and lore but they don't feel like they are just basic design. Linear is fine but that means you have to do something else, which is throw a good story and setting, that gives you a good gulp of the universe. They don't seem to be doing anything like that, combined with the overly simplistic gameplay, I'd just hope there is more in full release.

"Old School" isn't always something you can go by and a bad excuse, sometimes it means just lacking modern tried-true mechanics and details and that doesn't work. Some things that come with modern gaming aren't just changes or differences in playstyle, they are marked improvements and progress in gaming?

I want to like this game, and what they did do in gameplay is even only just okay, and then it's missing so much.

Don't just scrape at anything, you should be demanding something good rather than letting yourselves be money grabs for people exploiting your favorite lore.

I've got to wait for some full playthroughs to see what else in in, and the multiplayer modes, and lol most of you say you don't want to care about that, but I don't see the singleplayer offering up much.

And yes a demo given a month before release is supposed to show you that.

PiracyisWrong
08-25-2011, 10:30 AM

Your most likely young enough to be my son. I'm no where near a modern gamer, i shunned titles such as gears of war, world of warcraft, and i stopped with COD after they did nothing but remake united offense but without tanks while everyone got wet and rub the case all over their genitals.

Look what im saying is, you can make a mindless beat-em-up, and mindless shooter, and still make it facinating and fun, left 4 dead showed us this (and im not even a fan of the runner zombies, im a Geroge A. Romero fan).

Maybe im expecting too much from games today, or maybe im just getting burnt out of them myself. This game excited me, but after i played it, it was ridiculous. Guess ill just be waiting on skyrim,Diablo 3 (expected dissapointment) instead of this being my next buy.

and burn the topiccccc there's already 15 the same topicssssssss
My apologies, didnt see any on the front page so i figured id throw my opinion out.

To the rest of you, why not say something constructive and meaningful instead of filling the internet with your mindless gibberish, doesnt facebook and twitter do this enough? cant we have 1 area with true and honest conversations, feedback, and opinions? (except you the angry night)

SgtAlex86
08-25-2011, 10:37 AM
the marines act subtle like they are on a stroll in the park.

thats because they are... just orks? thats like holidays for Space marine... :)

Zone_Dymo
08-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Your most likely young enough to be my son. I'm no where near a modern gamer, i shunned titles such as gears of war, world of warcraft, and i stopped with COD after they did nothing but remake united offense but without tanks while everyone got wet and rub the case all over their genitals.

Look what im saying is, you can make a mindless beat-em-up, and mindless shooter, and still make it facinating and fun, left 4 dead showed us this (and im not even a fan of the runner zombies, im a Geroge A. Romero fan).

Maybe im expecting too much from games today, or maybe im just getting burnt out of them myself. This game excited me, but after i played it, it was ridiculous. Guess ill just be waiting on skyrim,Diablo 3 (expected dissapointment) instead of this being my next buy.

I was talking about a mindset, not having played a handfull of titles you just called forth does not say anything.
Also GoW, WOW and CoD? If you would have told me that titles like Mass Effect or so do not suit your fancy it would atleast mean something in this discussion.

L4D is hardly a game you can call mindless, there is a lot of strategy involved if you actually try to play it seriously.
A mindless game would be something like Serious Sam.

Can you tell me any other titles you played but you will at the same time describe as mindless,facinating and fun?

makadeus
08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
I personally enjoyed the demo greatly, especially with repeat playthroughs. Yes, the setting is one of the games major appeals and I can't say for sure if they are just exploiting the setting for cash until I see more of the game, however, given Relic's attitude towards WH40k in the Dawn of War series, I feel it's in capable hands. With that said, I think the gameplay, while fairly simple and straightforward, is rewarding and satisfying enough to be addictive, especially with the addition of a wide variety of weapons. Again though, to pass judgement on that completely will need to wait until release.

All in all, I feel like it's a solid third person shooter/brawler and it's mindless combat is highly appealing to me (this is coming from someone who absolutely loves strategy games as well). Sometimes it's good to just pick up a chainsword and blow off some steam. ;)

PiracyisWrong
08-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I was talking about a mindset, not having played a handfull of titles you just called forth does not say anything.
Also GoW, WOW and CoD? If you would have told me that titles like Mass Effect or so do not suit your fancy it would atleast mean something in this discussion.

L4D is hardly a game you can call mindless, there is a lot of strategy involved if you actually try to play it seriously.
A mindless game would be something like Serious Sam.

Can you tell me any other titles you played but you will at the same time describe as mindless,facinating and fun?

I did not fancy mass effect man, i bought both of them and never finished either of em unfortunately, i wanted to like them, but they just didnt click.

PiracyisWrong
08-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I personally enjoyed the demo greatly, especially with repeat playthroughs. Yes, the setting is one of the games major appeals and I can't say for sure if they are just exploiting the setting for cash until I see more of the game, however, given Relic's attitude towards WH40k in the Dawn of War series, I feel it's in capable hands. With that said, I think the gameplay, while fairly simple and straightforward, is rewarding and satisfying enough to be addictive, especially with the addition of a wide variety of weapons. Again though, to pass judgement on that completely will need to wait until release.

All in all, I feel like it's a solid third person shooter/brawler and it's mindless combat is highly appealing to me (this is coming from someone who absolutely loves strategy games as well). Sometimes it's good to just pick up a chainsword and blow off some steam. ;)

And i completely understand, something to me was just not....satisfying. Again using the l4d reference, when u drop a horde u feel like u just accomplished something. I get great joy in using 3 round bursts and dropping zombie after zombie after zombie, alternatively, i got great joy from a variety of different games. I been around for quite some time, and although i dont anymore, i use to make a nice chunk of change. Damn near 170 games. I was hardcore till i met my wife, and now, much to her dismay, i still like to play a bit more than i should.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982462145/

Just didnt click for me, but i guess thats why we have demos ya know. Ran a hell of alot better than i expected

Ebannaw1
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Let me just say this. I've played and beat the demo on hard at least 4 times.

There's not a single game that I've done that too since my sega saturn days.

This game will be amazing. Stop judging a game based on a demo that lasts a few minutes at best. I also don't understand how one can say this game is not grim dark enough. Jesus Christ, exploding orks with a bolt pistol never felt any better.

And just think, we haven't even tasted chaos blood yet.

If you don't like it, you're a heretic!

makadeus
08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
And i completely understand, something to me was just not....satisfying. Again using the l4d reference, when u drop a horde u feel like u just accomplished something. I get great joy in using 3 round bursts and dropping zombie after zombie after zombie, alternatively, i got great joy from a variety of different games. I been around for quite some time, and although i dont anymore, i use to make a nice chunk of change. Damn near 170 games. I was hardcore till i met my wife, and now, much to her dismay, i still like to play a bit more than i should.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982462145/

Just didnt click for me, but i guess thats why we have demos ya know. Ran a hell of alot better than i expected

The only thing I could possibly do is encourage you to give it another go and play the demo again. To be honest, my first time through, it wasn't nearly as fun as the second, or third, or fourth, etc. Something about the game just gets better the more I play it. For one, I kicked the difficulty up to hard which presents a real challenge and then I felt like defeating each wave of enemies really meant something, particularly the waves you have to fight right before the end of the Inquisitor demo at the lift.

I understand where you're coming from though. Sometimes a game, even when objectively good, just doesn't sit quite well with me, like it just doesn't click.

Omphofo-Bravo
08-25-2011, 12:16 PM
The demo felt very straight forward and familiar. Charging into a horde of orcs didn't have the visceral impact I had hoped for but it did however feel a little better as I got used to the weight of Cpt.Titus' movements.

I'm not sure I'll buy it right away. Rage is nr one on my list anyway, so I might just wait for the price to drop a bit.

Farlong
08-25-2011, 12:33 PM
i was just walking down a hallway repeating the same 4 keys again, and again, and again.
How many other games can you claim this is NOT true on?
If its a sandbox game, you'll just walk aimlessly around and click the same 4-5 buttons instead of a linear corridor.

Doesn't do lore justice
Its a game. Realism must be put in the backseat to a degree for it to be entertaining.

Loosifur
08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I liked it, but mostly for atmosphere. By which I mean mostly for button-mashing while wading into hordes of Orks. I'll buy it for that alone, but I might wait a little. I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, and I've got to say I was expecting something a little more...tactical, maybe. But I'm still optimistic, and I did like the demo.

Its a game. Realism must be put in the backseat to a degree for it to be entertaining.

Well, yeah, but half the point of any Warhammer game is the lore, and missing the lore is a big deal. I agree that sometimes you have to cheat a little to make the game or story work, but people who are into Warhammer know it backwards and forwards. It would be like going to a Star Trek convention and pitching a game where you had the Enterprise shaped wrong or something. Or where Vulcans chewed cigars. Instant riot.

flarp
08-25-2011, 01:49 PM
i've never been too into the table top games.

i like making dioramas so i remember buying them just to paint them and make a little "scene" but i never played the game.

however, i played the demo and while it wasnt remarkable it was rather fun. I was expecting it to be a little more tactical somewhat around what GoW was. Like maybe you have a small fireteam and you can suppress and flank like in the RTS

i might end up renting it for my brothers 360

EDIT: will there be a multiplayer component? I would love to play as an ork lol.

Farlong
08-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Well, yeah, but half the point of any Warhammer game is the lore, and missing the lore is a big deal. I agree that sometimes you have to cheat a little to make the game or story work, but people who are into Warhammer know it backwards and forwards.

Then how would you solve it? What changes would you do to the game to do the lore justice and at the same time prevent the player from getting his butt handed to him around every corner due to realism rearing its ugly head.

PiracyisWrong
08-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Let me just say this. I've played and beat the demo on hard at least 4 times.

There's not a single game that I've done that too since my sega saturn days.

This game will be amazing. Stop judging a game based on a demo that lasts a few minutes at best. I also don't understand how one can say this game is not grim dark enough. Jesus Christ, exploding orks with a bolt pistol never felt any better.

And just think, we haven't even tasted chaos blood yet.

If you don't like it, you're a heretic!

Your opinion became null when you told us not to judge it based on a few minute demo, and you did.

The only thing I could possibly do is encourage you to give it another go and play the demo again. To be honest, my first time through, it wasn't nearly as fun as the second, or third, or fourth, etc. Something about the game just gets better the more I play it. For one, I kicked the difficulty up to hard which presents a real challenge and then I felt like defeating each wave of enemies really meant something, particularly the waves you have to fight right before the end of the Inquisitor demo at the lift.

I understand where you're coming from though. Sometimes a game, even when objectively good, just doesn't sit quite well with me, like it just doesn't click.

Ill give it another go in the coming days, come back to it, but every time i start it up it just makes me log out and get on DOW2. But i will give it a second go.

Neithan
08-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Then how would you solve it? What changes would you do to the game to do the lore justice and at the same time prevent the player from getting his butt handed to him around every corner due to realism rearing its ugly head.

Lore != Realism

Staying with the lore means the design of the enviroment and equipment, often enough being unrealistic by itself in the case of WH40k. It means the background story, the speech (things like "For the Emperor!" or "Smash da Humaaanz!!") and the behaviour of everyone in the game. The way weapons work. All this has not really to do anything with "realism", because it is a FANTASY game ;)

This game will be amazing. Stop judging a game based on a demo that lasts a few minutes at best.

Nice contradiction, +rep for that...

..or maybe not ^^

@OP
I think they made quite a good job with the design according to WH40k lore, but then again I don't play the tabletop myself (my brother and a few friends do, and at the gameshop where I used to play MTG they were also playing WH/WH40k alot), so my opinion is based on the few things I learned by watching others play, and by playing DoW/DoW2.
What I second is the repetitive gameplay, I felt Darksiders was much more fun regarding the combat-system, so I would really like to see some more moves in the game than "click M2 x-times", and they could put in a couple more execution-animations. But nevertheless it was fun, I truely felt like some 9 feet tall, heavy armored badass, and we should not forget that even when melee is the most fun part of the combat, this game has also a lot of range weapons and it is designed as a melee-hack'n'slash and shooter hybrid. And in a shooter, there is normaly just one button (maybe 2 with alternate fire mode ^^) to mash, they get their variety from the different weapons you use.

Since this is only the Demo, I don't give too much about "Not grim/dark enough!", we just saw a small portion of the game, and we did neither see any ork occupied world (only an Imperial world attacked by orks) nor did we see anything about the Chaos, and thats where it gets really grim and dark. What I saw for example was a mother♥♥♥♥ing big cannon aimed at a big, I mean huge, I mean "holy ♥♥♥♥ it's a skyscraper-sized" gate and an enviroment that seemed perfectly fitting for an industrial world of the Empire (during an ork invasion).

Space Marines don't do fancy combos.

Space Marines walk forward and KILL.

They do not use finesse, they use brute force.

Their skill as swordsmen is basic at best, it's just the fact that they're 9 foot tall killing machines that gets the job done.

+rep for this :D

Farlong
08-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Lore != Realism

Staying with the lore means the design of the enviroment and equipment, often enough being unrealistic by itself in the case of WH40k. It means the background story, the speech (things like "For the Emperor!" or "Smash da Humaaanz!!") and the behaviour of everyone in the game. The way weapons work. All this has not really to do anything with "realism", because it is a FANTASY game ;)

My point was not to take 'our' realism into the game, but the realism of the lore.
If they feel its so unrealistic based on the lore, I'd like to see how they would change it to make it fit and work along with gameplay.

And broken english is not really unrealistic our universe or theirs :p
Neither is the overly-religious piousness, holier-then-thou attitude or zeal the Space Marines show. We already have those in the world.

How Space Marines carry extra ammo, however, I would like to know.

enemyofportal
08-27-2011, 04:46 PM
space marine!!!!!!!!!!! kill them all!!!!!!!!!!!!