PDA

View Full Version : PC Version Save Files Region Locked!

Xessive
08-25-2011, 08:29 PM
I pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution via Steam and I started playing the game on 23 Aug 2011, while I was in Canada, and all was well. I just arrived in the Middle East and the game was apparently locked in "pre-load" until finally it unlocked here today, 26 Aug 2011. I loaded up the game and none of my saves were working at all. Basically what happens is the game crashed to desktop every time I try to load my any of my savegames! I was getting irritated thinking of restarting when I had already invested about 18 hours into the game over the last couple of days (I really, really like it!)

I assumed the error was due to the new patch (25 Aug 2011) making my saves incompatible. As it turns out that's not the case. I connected to my work VPN (based in Canada) to take care of a few things and forgot to log off it when I loaded Steam up. I booted the game to see if there's anything I can do about loading my save file and whaddaya know it loaded! I was able to resume from my last quicksave too! I was confused but elated that it worked!

A little later, I had logged off my VPN, I felt like playing some more. Booted the game up and the game crashed again every time I tried loading my saves! So, on a hunch, I decided to log back on to my VPN, boot the game up again and see what happens: my saves are working again! Basically, the save files only work when I'm in Canada or when I'm connected to my Canadian VPN! WTH?!?!

Eidos/Square-Enix and Valve, you need to do something about this! According to the Eidos forums, only the retail boxed copy of the game was supposedly going to be region locked but the decision was overturned:

Region-locking plan UPDATE
We’re aware of some discussion regarding the planned region-locking of boxed PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and after careful review we have decided not to implement this in the UK/Europe/US/AUS. Please note, this plan only related to PC boxed games, and not digital or console editions.

So, what gives? Why are my save files region locked? And whose bright idea was it to introduce this asinine region restriction scheme?

Xessive
08-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Anyone have any feedback regarding this kind of restriction?

Frag_Dad
08-25-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but I'd suggest opening a ticket with Steam support.

From my understanding the region lock was meant to only apply to activation anyway, while there would be no region restrictions on gameplay.

It seems like a very strange problem you're having!