PDA

View Full Version : Matchmaking - a community killer?

Xiao Xiong
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I often play on the same server, one with very low latency. I don't really know the other players there but they're always the same. I recognize their voices and joke with them. I know who is good and what their style of play is.

It's a fun part of the experience, social aspects like that.

When I play CoD or other games with match making I get bored because I don't know those people, random different strangers there. Ok, I play CS:S with strangers too, but always the same strangers.

I know it will still be possible to connect to servers but I guess I worry most people will match make draining the servers and preventing that community social aspect from developing.

No I'm not going to join a clan, I play for fun and just like running into the same people. Actually that server I join is in my city and I know they sometimes have get togethers. I never went to one but it's nice that I could. I might one day! Makes it more social that I could meet these guys.

Are there any ways to preserve this in a match making world?

I don't want to pick my friends in advance. I want to meet people, even if only in game.

I think match making should always be tied to some community so that you see the same people over and over, ideally people near you, but in whatever community you choose to match within, not global matching with anyone anywhere.

Thoughts?

Valve/HPE please take this seriously it's a big part of counter strike.

Bindal
08-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Matchmaking - an OPTIONAL part of the game.

flea8me
08-27-2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/ please save this as a bookmark it and click on those links and read them. There are many articles in there that will answer all your questions.

flea8me
08-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Also if I read correctly matchmaking is only for competitive play. Not casual, but it could be for both.

Bindal
08-27-2011, 01:51 PM
It IS for both - but only when used the default setting and 5on5. Custom gamemodes (or settings) aren't avaible for Matchmaking, only for the serverbrowser.

Xiao Xiong
08-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Matchmaking - an OPTIONAL part of the game.

Yes I know, but as I wrote I worry it will drain the community servers of players.

I like the idea of match making but hope it can be made more social by matching you within a community rather than just globally.

You should choose a home (or homes) and the match making should try and pair you with others from the same community.

C1Team
08-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Matchmaking for consoles only will kill them off. CS thrives on social community's in game.

bose645
08-27-2011, 01:58 PM
well.. luckily for the pc players.. you get the option of being able to choose either or.. while the consoles players once again get the f***in shaft (as always).. because they think they know what's best for us.. which i beg to differ! [scoffs]

TheMG
08-27-2011, 02:14 PM
well.. luckily for the pc players.. you get the option of being able to choose either or.. while the consoles players once again get the f***in shaft (as always).. because they think they know what's best for us.. which i beg to differ! [scoffs]

My understanding of it is that there are restrictions with consoles that means it is not allowed. Unlike PC games, Valve can't just do whatever the heck they want, they have to play by Sony's/Microsoft's rules, unfortunately.

If you want to complain to someone, it should be the console manufacturers, as they are the ones who have a tight grip on what is and isn't allowable.

Xiao Xiong
08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Again, if you have to set a home community and then match within it (preferred, match outside if no match available) that might preserve the social aspects, and it would work for console players too.

Ideally server based but if we can't have that, then maybe some steam groups you belong to can be used to find community based matches.

Everyone by default could be in a group based on their city, say, but could choose others, like a clan or anything.

bose645
08-27-2011, 02:52 PM
My understanding of it is that there are restrictions with consoles that means it is not allowed. Unlike PC games, Valve can't just do whatever the heck they want, they have to play by Sony's/Microsoft's rules, unfortunately.

If you want to complain to someone, it should be the console manufacturers, as they are the ones who have a tight grip on what is and isn't allowable.

well.. if it is due to restrictions then that's bull****.. that's all i've got to say about that.. especially when this feature has already been implemented on consoles before (cs on the original xbox)