PDA

View Full Version : Why is this game so short?

KillerVendingM
08-29-2011, 02:45 AM
:confused: WHY!?

I really liked the game, but i don't think theres enough here for my money. The story is only 5levels! I really like these kinda games and i really like the snes graphics, but it is just soooooooooooooo short.

I know there are challenges, but those just feel like a poormans way of extending gametime, i want new enemies, new challenges, not some stale, almost impossible timetrial.

elwhacko
08-29-2011, 05:47 AM
Not saying the game ain't short, because it is - although the challenges/bonus levels add some meat, but.. at the same time I'm pretty certain that's how it is with games in this genre.

Also don't forget that this is an indie game, not a fully priced retail title. I have to say, had I paid €60 for this I would be upset with its length, but at €9 it's only a tiny bit short.

Who knows, maybe the dev has some (free) DLC they're working on to extend the story? Who knows.. I sure don't, but it IS a great game in any case :)

TrevHead
08-29-2011, 11:38 AM
5 stages is par for the course when it comes to bullet hell shmups. The idea of the game is to work towards beating the game on gauntlet mode (using no continues) in the hardest difficulty. And also to score as many points as possible, its all about mastering the game and playing as perfect as you possibly can.

Whislt you and other newcommers to the genre think 5 stages is too short, its actually the correct length for a modern shmup as a game with say ten stages can become something of a chore to play for anyone playing the game seriously.

Twistamafoo
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Also, if you can, try to think about all the ridiculous amount of time and work went into creating all the unique sprites and animations for each stage. They could have rehashed everything from the first stage over and over again to create multiple stages that all felt and played similarly, but they instead opted to choose the more difficult path. Each stage definitely looks and plays very differently from one another, which makes replaying stages a lot more interesting.

Curseman
08-31-2011, 12:51 AM
I wish there were more shoot em ups that weren't designed to be played gauntlet-style. I understand the appeal and everything, but I don't think it's always worth it when it means your game can be maybe an hour long, tops.

Jeffrey0
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
I wish there were more shoot em ups that weren't designed to be played gauntlet-style. I understand the appeal and everything, but I don't think it's always worth it when it means your game can be maybe an hour long, tops.
If there's the time to make the content, there's the time to split the game up into multiple episodes of some kind (whether DLC, free at launch time or added with future updates). That'd appeal to both demographics.

However, making a (good) shmup is surprisingly hard work in the first place. I'm pretty sure that the reason for the genre's overall low game length has little to do with the way they're meant to be played and much more to do with the difficulty of making a good shmup. There's a reason that companies generally don't drop them by the dozen (though CAVE's been rather lively with ports recently).

FibberSteve
09-01-2011, 05:46 AM

I really liked the game, but i don't think theres enough here for my money. The story is only 5levels! I really like these kinda games and i really like the snes graphics, but it is just soooooooooooooo short.

I know there are challenges, but those just feel like a poormans way of extending gametime, i want new enemies, new challenges, not some stale, almost impossible timetrial.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24092489&postcount=1 dated near the beginning of last month, but there's more content being worked on. maybe we'll hear an update soon.

Xilo
09-19-2011, 04:30 AM
the game is as long as you make it.

the way i see it, its like an arcade machine the whole world plays, puts up their names, and says, beat this ♥♥♥♥er. i've beat each level on divine and working on judgment, and slowly raising the difficulty i can run through on gauntlet.

the game is what you make it.

i make it the single greatest challange, to be #1. while still having fun on the challenge courses. cept pack 5. pack 5 was not meant to be fun.

KillerVendingM
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM
do you guys play other games through on all difficulties? Why is this an exception? Or why should this be an exception?

karterfreak
09-22-2011, 10:43 PM
do you guys play other games through on all difficulties? Why is this an exception? Or why should this be an exception?

Shmup games and a few other types of games are exceptions to playing all the difficulties. Each difficulty is an extension of the games content, as the bullet patterns are more complex / unique, and provide a new approach to the same levels compared to other games where it is the same level, just with enemies that do more damage / etc.

If you want a good example of what I mean, stage 1's start on Judgement is a perfect example. Divine and below the level starts off without much difficulty, whereas on Judgement you need to take an entirely new approach to it to even avoid getting hit (Read: Its a new experience)

Its an exception because like all shmups, the difficulty itself is an extension of the game. Dodonpachi games can be cleared two times in one gothrough, with the second playthrough being an increase in difficulty that you can only play if you beat the entire first pass difficulty.

Lastly, they're an exception because the idea behind shmups is to self-improve your playing ability to never get hit, and harder difficulties make it more challenging to achieve that goal, and sometimes even require a complete strategy change in order to do so.

Post is probably badly worded, but I think you get the idea.

Axelhander
10-09-2011, 10:53 PM

I really liked the game, but i don't think theres enough here for my money.

It's $10.

No really, it's $10. There's more than enough here for $10.

Old man time: in my day we paid way more than $10 for games with less content.

Seriously, for $10 I would have bought Jamestown even if all it had were the 5 core stages and no extra content.