PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim - Another overhyped game?

zAce
08-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Everywhere I look there's Skyrim talk and love. For me, every overhyped game becomes a huge letdown.

I'm not trying to troll; but why does so many people love it? (When it's not even out yet.) I'm very interested in this game because I love RPG games, but I haven't played any Elder Scrolls at all (if there's other games, I have no clue). Do you have to play the other games to "get/understand" this one?

Shred some light on WHY I should get this game and why it's original than rest of the games game developers spit out these days.

I'm not trying to upset/flame anyone, I just want to know.

Tea2theBag
08-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Because it isn't COD.

dannythefool
08-30-2011, 08:20 AM
If you don't know why you should get it then you shouldn't, and instead wait for some reviews... anyone who pre-orders now is doing so based on experience with previous titles in the series, if that doesn't do it for you then nothing we can tell you will change anything.

ChefCharland
08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
The Elder Scrolls is a great story. You should pick up Oblivion and try it out. If you don't like that game, chances are you will be able to save yourself some money by not getting Skyrim. The reason that this game is expected to be great and why people already love it, without even playing it yet, is because it is going to have the same large amounts of character customization that all of us have come to love in TES. You can really immerse yourself in a game like this, with all of the side quests. Check out Oblivion first, though. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

in.meinem.turm.
08-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Because ths will be GotY if Bethesdas other RPGs are any indication for the quality of this one.

zAce
08-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Because it isn't COD.

Aha, what an insightful comment about nothing I wrote about. Now go troll somewhere else.

To the rest of you who actually provided some great info, thanks. I'll check the Skyrim reviews here on Steam and such first, but I think I'll check out Oblivion before Skyrim is released. One of my friends said long time ago that it's a good game, so I think I'll buy it and try it out, can't hurt huh? :)

Necr0max
08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Shred some light on WHY I should get this game and why it's original than rest of the games game developers spit out these days.

In my mind, it's because both Morrowind and Oblivion were great games, but still with problems and annoyances. Skyrim seems to be addressing many of those issues and adding things we wouldn't have expected a TES game to have at this point (i.e. dynamic dragon fights, economy etc.) and they're adding lots of little details that really add up to an amazing game. They've shown a lot of detail about the game but it seems there's nothing to hate so far.

You absolutely do not need to know the series to get into this game, but you should know that Morrowind and Oblivion are certainly worth playing. I found Morrowind to be the better game (because of the lack of map quick-travel, lack of major level-scaling, and had varied environments), but you might get turned off from the series if you play it as it's an older game. Most people who play Oblivion first tend to dislike Morrowind because of the changes between the games.

Anyways, there's just so much to do in TES games. If you like it enough you'll see yourself coming back to it for a playthrough every now and then, and you'll likely come across something you missed.

Flashmason
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Games are always overhyped, people who play them and the people who make them obviously exaggeratea lot of things, but that doesn't mean its one of the most enjoyable experiences you can have if you are into this kinda thing.

fenrirtokara
08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Oblivion was also very hyped ( I cant remember if Morrowind was hyped or expected to be a great game ) and maybe it wasnt the greatest game of all time, but it sure was great and the modding community was (And still IS) fantastic.

That's what me and, and I think, other people are waiting for :)

geronimo789
08-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Because bethesda has an excellent track record, especially concerning RPG's and the elder scrolls series ?

But it's probably going to be a bit of a letdown if you let yourself get carried away. It always is.

Rotant
08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Well, you answered your own question, through saying 'I haven't played any elder scrolls at all.'

critmagnet
08-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for reviews. Partly because pre-ordering no longer gets me an epic hat and partly because Bethesda's games never seem to quite meet the standard of map size and locations that morrowind had.

They also seem to have been designed to appeal to casual gamers because of 'quick travel' and the compass.

MrShooter
08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Everywhere I look there's Skyrim talk and love. For me, every overhyped game becomes a huge letdown.

I'm not trying to troll; but why does so many people love it? (When it's not even out yet.) I'm very interested in this game because I love RPG games, but I haven't played any Elder Scrolls at all (if there's other games, I have no clue). Do you have to play the other games to "get/understand" this one?

Skyrim is the fifth game in the series. You don't have to play any of the previous games to know what's going on (I started with Oblivion). The first four games took place within a roughly 50 year timespan, there is an overarching plot but for the most part the games are isolated from eachother, taking place in different countries in the world and a decade apart. Skyrim takes place 200 years after all of the previous games, so it is even more isolated. You will be reading everything important about the previous games in the game's history books.

One very important thing to keep in mind is it's a pretty "soft" rpg, and each installment in the elder scrolls has toned down the complexity of the RPG elements compared to the one that came before it. This has resulted in a very broken fanbase (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase), with some Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3) players of the opinion that Oblivion (Elder Scrolls 4) is a dumbed down brainless "console rpg", and Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2) players thinking the same of Morrowind. Fun fact: There are currently 552 people in the entire world who just like the series and don't take any of the above bull♥♥♥♥ seriously.

While the raw RPG elements in each game get toned down and simplified from the previous installment (skills get combined or removed, some spells weapons, armor types are cut) the world itself gets more immersive and intricate.

Morrowind had npcs who just stood in place, with a handful in each town that would walk back and forth all day on a set path, Oblivion gave every NPC AI schedules where they would all follow a routine everyday. Skyrim will have a much more complex version of oblivion's system where every NPC has a set job they will actually perform instead of 80% of the population being jobless playboys with the rest shopkeepers and dirt rakers.

The main attraction to the Elder Scrolls series certainly isn't the RPG elements, but the world itself. A massive, many square mile/km world that you can get yourself lost in at any time, filled with literally hundreds of dungeons and caverns, cities, towns, and camps. Hundreds of NPCs, dozens of collectible, readable books, dozens and dozens of sidequests. There are people who have played these games for hundreds of hours each.

Just take a look at this map of Cyrodiil (http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/article/703/703867/geleto2_es4o_worldmap.jpg), the main location in Oblivion. 16 square miles of land, and Skyrim is going to be bigger.

I am also contractually obliged to mention the strong modding community that surrounds Bethesda's games, with a Morrowind mod team that is working on adding an entire new country to the game filled with quests.

I'm going to be the first to admit though that despite the amazing mods that can come out Sturgeon's law is in strong effect here and 85% of the mods for the entire series consists of horrible anime bull♥♥♥♥ that is somehow popular, mods that jarate on the art-style of the world, and mods that give everyone... well. Just be careful on the modding sites.

Tea2theBag
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Zace are you mad by any chance? You sound mad.

Mad
08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Because there's no V.A.T.S.

alehm
08-30-2011, 02:57 PM
#1 rule for Hype. The only person who can over hype a game is YOU. There is not one reason to blow any game realisitically out of proportion with the amount of information available on the web to cut through the Marketing BS.

With that said people know what they like and get excited for those things. I loved HL, HL2, and all the HL episodes. So when Valve announces HL3 I will probably get excited for it. Even if Valve advertises and hypes HL3 as the game that will end world hunger and world wars I know to keep myself from getting hyped about that and stay realistically excited based off prior gaming experience.

I wouldn't advised getting Oblivion though, it has some bad design flaws (still a good game... but with mods turns into a great game). I would say play Fallout 3 and then get introduced to Elder Scrolls through Skyrim in November.

WontletmeReset
08-30-2011, 04:55 PM
The game is definately overhyped. but as alehm says A LOT of the hype is from the fans themselves, not Bethesda.

Bethesda promised many of the same things for Oblivion, the only one of which that panned out being the immersive world - as long as you steered clear of any NPC, the invisible boundaries and the Main Quest.

Also, many of the screenshots look remarkably like Oblivion with a Hi-Res texture pack (look at the scenery, not the shiny dragon in the foreground). But even if that's the case at least they appear to have finally realised that 256x256 is inadequate for facial textures. And hopefully there will be less 3000 polygon rocks.

I also hope 80 voice actors just doesn't mean "HALT YOU CRIMINAL SCUM!!" (or it's Skyrim equivalent) in 80 different voices.

Despite my cynicism about Bethesda I will still be buying this game, not as a pre-order,though.

varagix
08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Skyrim is the fifth game in the series. You don't have to play any of the previous games to know what's going on (I started with Oblivion). The first four games took place within a roughly 50 year timespan, there is an overarching plot but for the most part the games are isolated from eachother, taking place in different countries in the world and a decade apart. Skyrim takes place 200 years after all of the previous games, so it is even more isolated. You will be reading everything important about the previous games in the game's history books.

One very important thing to keep in mind is it's a pretty "soft" rpg, and each installment in the elder scrolls has toned down the complexity of the RPG elements compared to the one that came before it. This has resulted in a very broken fanbase (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase), with some Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3) players of the opinion that Oblivion (Elder Scrolls 4) is a dumbed down brainless "console rpg", and Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2) players thinking the same of Morrowind. Fun fact: There are currently 546 people in the entire world who just like the series and don't take any of the above bull♥♥♥♥ seriously.

While the raw RPG elements in each game get toned down and simplified from the previous installment (skills get combined or removed, some spells weapons, armor types are cut) the world itself gets more immersive and intricate.

Morrowind had npcs who just stood in place, with a handful in each town that would walk back and forth all day on a set path, Oblivion gave every NPC AI schedules where they would all follow a routine everyday. Skyrim will have a much more complex version of oblivion's system where every NPC has a set job they will actually perform instead of 80% of the population being jobless playboys with the rest shopkeepers and dirt rakers.

The main attraction to the Elder Scrolls series certainly isn't the RPG elements, but the world itself. A massive, many square mile/km world that you can get yourself lost in at any time, filled with literally hundreds of dungeons and caverns, cities, towns, and camps. Hundreds of NPCs, dozens of collectible, readable books, dozens and dozens of sidequests. There are people who have played these games for hundreds of hours each.

Just take a look at this map of Cyrodiil (http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/article/703/703867/geleto2_es4o_worldmap.jpg), the main location in Oblivion. 16 square miles of land, and Skyrim is going to be bigger.

I am also contractually obliged to mention the strong modding community that surrounds Bethesda's games, with a Morrowind mod team that is working on adding an entire new country to the game filled with quests.

I'm going to be the first to admit though that despite the amazing mods that can come out Sturgeon's law is in strong effect here and 85% of the mods for the entire series consists of horrible anime bull♥♥♥♥ that is somehow popular, mods that jarate on the art-style of the world, and mods that give everyone... well. Just be careful on the modding sites.

547. You forgot one (me) =P But seriously, I agree with everything MrShooter said. I love the huge, deep world of these games. I can easily start a character and just mess around doing whatever I think my character could or would do, and every game gets more immersive than the previous one.

And... like MrShooter said... the changes between games tend to create a very Broken Fanbase. You see this alot in long running game franchises: DnD, TES, Deus Ex, etc. There's always people who think the previous edition or installment was the "best".

My advice? Don't take any admitted fan's opinion or advice as gospel, listen to the points made by both the people who liked the games and the ones who didn't (the points that can't be summarized as "they changed it, now it sucks" anyways) and if you can, try it out yourself: demo, friend's copy, whatever.

Cobalt2202
08-30-2011, 11:56 PM
There's an over-hyped game and then there's an over-hyped game. Go figure.

Morfolk
08-31-2011, 01:44 AM
I <3 U

When I have kids please take them, you'll be a much better father than I'll ever hope to be.

I'm not trying to troll; but why does so many people love it?
It is awesome deep and limitless. No really, especially if you factor in all the mods - you'll probably be able to find something new in the game even 10 years later (I know I do with Elder Scrolls 3, Skyrim is Elder Scrolls 5)

MrEntropy
08-31-2011, 05:38 AM
Bethesda has ruined me for gaming. I'm always wishing whatever game I'm playing has some aspects of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout series. In fact, playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution I kept wishing it was a little more open like Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

I would recommend getting Morrowind and Oblivion. Bethesda is "player friendly" and usually release a world editor which allow other people to make some pretty interesting mods for their games which can expand playability quite a bit.

In Morrowind's case, at least, there's a good mod that enhances the graphics. It doesn't quite come up to modern day looks, but it's good enough to play without thinking you're walking through a land made of blocks. The story is still good and the playability is definitely there. Sometimes I start it up just to walk around and look at the scenery.

Micknator
08-31-2011, 08:09 AM
Both Morrowind and Oblivion are great games.

Just an off-topic question, could someone link a few graphics enhancing mods for Morrowind? And perhaps some other recommended mods for me please? Thanks in advance.

MrEntropy
08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
This is the Morrowind Graphics Extender (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5535)

dannythefool
08-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Morrowind Overhaul, includes the graphics extender and a bunch of other mods that improve graphics: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/blog/

A bit of work to install but worth it

MrEntropy
08-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Morrowind Overhaul, includes the graphics extender and a bunch of other mods that improve graphics: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/blog/

Oh yeah, that's what I have installed. And if I can follow the directions and get it working then anyone else should.

berggren75
08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Fun fact: There are currently 546 people in the entire world who just like the series and don't take any of the above bull♥♥♥♥ seriously.

Uhm, where do you get that number from?

Guess I'm one of those 546 people then. Thats quite an exclusive club I guess :)

Been playing these games since Daggerfall and simply loving this series.

Micknator
08-31-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks to you and MrEntropy =)

MrShooter
08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Just an off-topic question, could someone link a few graphics enhancing mods for Morrowind? And perhaps some other recommended mods for me please? Thanks in advance.

This here (http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/) is a pretty good guide to mods and expansions that overhaul the visuals of the game without significantly changing things or straying very far from vanilla. You can pick and choose the expansions from the list, I just stuck with the most basic of the mods on the list to be safe.

Micknator
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM
This here (http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/) is a pretty good guide to mods and expansions that overhaul the visuals of the game without significantly changing things or straying very far from vanilla. You can pick and choose the expansions from the list, I just stuck with the most basic of the mods on the list to be safe.

Thanks again!

Aedn
08-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Like most every game that comes out these days, it gets hyped beyond all belief. both oblivion and morrowind were decent but not great games, they had to many flaws, the good thing about them was that they can be modded extensively by gamers, on the PC.

Just dont buy into the hype, and take the game for what its worth, If skyrim can fix some of the flaws in the previous two elder scrolls games, then it really will be a great game.

winterforge
08-31-2011, 08:02 PM
I was at PAX and played several demos. Skyrim was pretty damn cool, but I'm thinking it isn't going to blow everyone's mind like many think it will. It is the most hyped game of the year, and that's going to be bad for it actually. People will think it will be totally revolutionary and that they won't play anything else for months. Well, like I said, it's pretty damn cool... just don't set the bar THAT high for it or you might be a little let down when you actually play it. The game demo I actually had the most fun with was Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Lone_Sword
08-31-2011, 09:59 PM
I was at PAX and played several demos. Skyrim was pretty damn cool, but I'm thinking it isn't going to blow everyone's mind like many think it will. It is the most hyped game of the year, and that's going to be bad for it actually.

I don't know about it being the most hyped game. DE:HR had some serious hype because of it's history, and sadly I bet there are more people hyped for the next Call of Duty then there are people evening looking at Skyrim right now. Not saying the community here, but the "only ever owned a console, frat-boyish gamer" demographic.

critmagnet
09-01-2011, 02:57 AM

Thanks for linking me to this! It's great!:D

Morfolk
09-01-2011, 03:06 AM
both oblivion and morrowind were decent but not great games
really? both Games of the Year were "decent but not great"?

dannythefool
09-01-2011, 03:40 AM
really? both Games of the Year were "decent but not great"?

There's always something that could be better in a sandbox, there's bound to be some limitations... both also had their fair share of exploits, mostly thanks to the flexible echanting system...

That said I certainly think they were both great, no way I would still be playing Morrowind if I thought it was just some ordinary RPG.

JamieKirby1981
09-01-2011, 04:36 AM
The problem with 99% of all games released now-a-days is that everyone compares it to a totally different game or the game that came before it and it automatically gets a bad review and then everyone goes by the review instead of using their opinion, which every single human being has.

I personally, never compare games, i judge each game on its own by its own gameplay, graphics and storyline, the graphics are good, the gameplay was fun (experience from OBlivion), not sure what the new one will be like.

But the main problem with Oblivion was the complete lack of bread crums to follow to find quests, you were completely on your own and i do not like that, i really hope Skyrim has that bread crum system in it.

Think of it like this, you start the game,you have a quest leading you to the main quest hub and who to talk to and then you complete those quests and then, you get a quest to go to location a, where you do some quests or even a single quest, then head over to location b and a new hub becomes available.

That is a good system, it doesn't have you wandering aimlessly.

Nekofu
09-01-2011, 04:54 AM
But the main problem with Oblivion was the complete lack of bread crums to follow to find quests, you were completely on your own and i do not like that, i really hope Skyrim has that bread crum system in it.

Think of it like this, you start the game,you have a quest leading you to the main quest hub and who to talk to and then you complete those quests and then, you get a quest to go to location a, where you do some quests or even a single quest, then head over to location b and a new hub becomes available.

That is a good system, it doesn't have you wandering aimlessly.

Ohh i please hope they don't breadcrumb it like that :O i liked exploring, and if they put much more in it i think it would ruin the game :O for me at least. i myself never did wander aimlessly, ever :O

but for hype i don't think its getting much hype, other than from fans and such :O
i don't think any game get over hyped, and i find i never buy games that i find just not what i was after, not sure how people do :P

dannythefool
09-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Wasn't some kind of path to the next quest target one of the dragon shouts they announced?

Micknator
09-01-2011, 06:05 AM
There's also a thing called patching, which usually occurs after the game is released and a lot of people complain.

Halfmonth
09-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I think it will live up to most peoples expectations. Over hyped over anticapated game im betting people are going to be seriously disapointed in Rage.

Micknator
09-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I think it will live up to most peoples expectations. Over hyped over anticapated game im betting people are going to be seriously disapointed in Rage.

I'm also not that much into Rage ... Can't really figure it if it's going to be a game like Borderlands or more of a Deus Ex game.

Silvernis
09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm very interested in this game because I love RPG games, but I haven't played any Elder Scrolls at all
Well, see, there's your problem. Morrowind and Oblivion (the two with which I'm most familiar) are by no means perfect, but they're still very, very good, especially when you factor in the tireless modding community. People who've played and loved Skyrim's predecessors are super hyped about Skyrim because it's the next Elder Scrolls game -- that's honestly reason enough. Will it be as ♥♥♥♥-your-pants epic as Bethesda would have us believe? Meh, probably not, at least not right out of the box. Will it still be a great, long-lived game that's part of a great, long-lived series? Without a doubt.

Micknator
09-01-2011, 01:48 PM
People who've played and loved Skyrim's predecessors are super hyped about Skyrim because it's the next Elder Scrolls game -- that's honestly reason enough. Will it be as ♥♥♥♥-your-pants epic as Bethesda would have us believe? Meh, probably not, at least not right out of the box. Will it still be a great, long-lived game that's part of a great, long-lived series? Without a doubt.

Couldn't say it any better. Still can't wait till 11-11-11 =\

Sami69
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM

One very important thing to keep in mind is it's a pretty "soft" rpg, and each installment in the elder scrolls has toned down the complexity of the RPG elements compared to the one that came before it. This has resulted in a very broken fanbase (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBase), with some Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3) players of the opinion that Oblivion (Elder Scrolls 4) is a dumbed down brainless "console rpg", and Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2) players thinking the same of Morrowind. Fun fact: There are currently 548 people in the entire world who just like the series and don't take any of the above bull♥♥♥♥ seriously.

excellent answer and helped me to also understand more of elder scroll as whole. +rep earned

dpeters911
09-03-2011, 01:18 AM

The Elder Scrolls games are all designed to be enjoyed without playing the other games. Each story, while referencing the others, is its own beast.

You always start anew as a prisoner of some sort and it's here you create a character. In Morrowind, you're sent to prison in the land of dark elves.
In Oblivion, you're freed from prison by guarding the King during his failed escape.
In Skyrim, you create your character and are on your way to your execution in a penal colony.
The games have been the epitome of sandbox games since the mid 1990s with The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

They're known for being freeform: you dont' have to play a particular way or join a particular faction--the choice is yours.
If you want to be a thief, robbing the countryside--you can do that. The only things that'll try to stop you are guards.
If you want to be a priest, battling undead--you can do that. The only thing stopping you is turning into a Vampire or Werewolf yourself.
If you want to be a mage, finding rare plants, brewing potions and creating magic items--you can do that.
If you want to follow the main storyline (which can be as along as other games, depending on how you play)--go ahead

Skyrim is a bout choice when most games are getting simpler each year (Dragon Age II is an obvious one from this year's lineup).

varagix
09-03-2011, 03:36 AM
The Elder Scrolls games are all designed to be enjoyed without playing the other games. Each story, while referencing the others, is its own beast.

You always start anew as a prisoner of some sort and it's here you create a character. In Morrowind, you're sent to prison in the land of dark elves.
In Oblivion, you're freed from prison by guarding the King during his failed escape.
In Skyrim, you create your character and are on your way to your execution in a penal colony.
The games have been the epitome of sandbox games since the mid 1990s with The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

They're known for being freeform: you dont' have to play a particular way or join a particular faction--the choice is yours.
If you want to be a thief, robbing the countryside--you can do that. The only things that'll try to stop you are guards.
If you want to be a priest, battling undead--you can do that. The only thing stopping you is turning into a Vampire or Werewolf yourself.
If you want to be a mage, finding rare plants, brewing potions and creating magic items--you can do that.
If you want to follow the main storyline (which can be as along as other games, depending on how you play)--go ahead

Skyrim is a bout choice when most games are getting simpler each year (Dragon Age II is an obvious one from this year's lineup).

I wouldn't really agree with that last statement so much. Skyrim, in comparison, is objectively "simpler" than the previous games. But unlike other games, making the game more simple -hasn't- made the series less deep or narrowed your choices any. That's something many games have failed to do recently: make it easy to understand and intuitive to use -while- maintaining depth and a variety of choice (not that that's bad overall, just disappointing that its the majority).

Also it might be a good idea to point out that this all is only really true of the main series. The spin-off games (Redguard and Battlespire) are much more narrow in focus, but as I understand it, they were Bethesda's attempts to move beyond their usual boundaries and experiment, with Redguard being a more Hack-and-slash 3rd-person adventure game and Battlespire being more Action-FPS in a fantasy setting similar to Hexen.

MiscNoob
09-03-2011, 08:56 AM
There's a difference between being hyped and overhyped, some games like Skyrim deserve all the hype they get and more.

Micknator
09-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Games are usually hyped by the people's responses to the trailers/screenshots. So we create the hype, not the studio.

Kurogasa
09-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm getting wound up in the hype not only because I am a fan of the Elder Scrolls series but because I am seeing and reading about tremendous improvements being made in the next installment that is Skyrim. I liked Oblivion, but some of the things I didn't like about it are being revamped or improved in Skyrim. I already know what Elder Scrolls games are all about but Skyrim has got me excited. And if you've never played an Elder Scrolls game before you're in for a real treat.

trojanrabbit.gg
09-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Check out Oblivion first, though. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

NO! Check out Morrowind first. Oblivion is infinitesimally infiorier to Morrowind.

SSWeltenfeind
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Overhyped?! I have just pre-ordered it :3

Micknator
09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Overhyped?! I have just pre-ordered it :3

Good job! I did the same about a month ago =p

pure_heart
09-13-2011, 07:17 AM
HUGE explorable world, total character customization, ROLE-PLAYING. 'nuff said.

Ask yourself what you actually want to do in a game—if the game allows you to do it, you'll enjoy it.

vagan
09-13-2011, 07:38 AM
no- i wonīt shed light on it.donīt listen to what other people say.decide for yourself if it interests you.is that so hard :)

kungfoolai
09-13-2011, 08:10 AM
look at the videos it looks amazing u can see the amount of work and effort put into the game already. If you loved morrowwind or oblivion then i think its safe to safe u will love this.

El Magic Diablo
09-13-2011, 12:03 PM
NO! Check out Morrowind first. Oblivion is infinitesimally infiorier to Morrowind.

To the diehard rpg-ers - yes. In today's world - no. It's 2011, and honestly they're just too many games out nowadays (both new and old) to commit to a game with quirky mechanics and balancing issues.

I think Morrowind is the most epic rpg ever made, but Oblivion fixed just far too many shortcomings for it to be considered inferior to Morrowind. At worst, I'd considered them tied.

Ecirp
09-16-2011, 12:16 PM

I'm not trying to troll;

Why you troll then?
A hype is made by companys and fans.
But if bethesda did always good rpgs.
Morrowind, oblivion, fallout 3 are the last ones.
The quests are fun.
If you buy it or not is your choice.
Only fools listen to hypes...
I never think "oh people say its koool i think its cool too..."
no, i buy what will be good and if its not, i will not buy the next game.
Like with brink, i will never buy a game made by splash damage anymore.

BagmaN-
09-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Excessive criticism by those people above, since there's no game to rivalize with any Elder Scrolls. I can't understand how those guys can talk such bad things about Oblivion, there's just no game to rivalize with it, EXCEPT the older Elder Scrolls. Oblivion is the best game of all time, not for its main quest but if you did the Guild quests you can easily confirm this. Despite this, you can enter every house, spy, murder, steal, slash zombies, fight in the arena, become the greatest thief of all time, work for an assassin group, become the arch mage, kill guards, steal horses, buy horses, mount horses, explore, collect ingredients, create potions, persuade people, find hidden treasures, swim, become the champion of cyrodil, find 367 different places in your journey along cyrodil... Well, that's all I can remember for now... But if you've seen any game like Oblivion before, along with the 1st person melee combat, let me know. If not, that's the reason for the overhyped title.

franklyshankly
09-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I haven't played any Elder Scrolls at all (if there's other games, I have no clue).

Found the problem.

Quint
09-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Why don't you stop acting like a total moron and do some research?If there is hype,that means there is good reason to it.

water_vapour
10-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Hey Zace, I'm with you - the hype for Oblivion (Elder Scrolls 4) turned it into a huge letdown for me, so I'm avoiding all hype for Skyrim so I can't be disappointed if/when it turns out to be all eye candy and no substance.

I got into Elder Scrolls for number 3 (Morrowind) which was released, when, about 2003? I still rate it as one of the best games ever made - the game mechanics are bit dated by today's standards, sure, as are the graphics, but the story is fantastic - I mean absolutely amazing with so many layers. I spent a good year-and-a-half playing it, completing all the side quests, finding all the easter eggs.

Oblivion was a different beast altogether - most of the budget went on a couple of A-list actors doing voiceovers (the rest of the game's many thousands of NPC voiceovers really suffered as a result imho - about 8 people did all the voices for everyone else in the game so they all sound exactly the same) and from what I've heard, they've done the same again with Skyrim, hiring massive-name actors for one or two roles.

Also, when transitioning from Morrowind to Oblivion, they added the levelled encounter system, so no matter what level you were, every fight was exactly the same - there was never any feeling of progression because the harder your character became, so too did every mob in the world become harder. And all the loot in all the chests was level-matched as well, so there was never any real sense of character progression.

Anyway, stay true to your thoughts - don't give in to the hype. I'm pre-ordering solely to get the burlap map that you get with pre-order, but I'm not holding out many expectations for the quality of the game's story. I'm sure the graphics will be amazing, but the rest I'll hold judgment on.

I'd recommend you play Morrowind over Oblivion anyday, but you have to be able to put graphical prejudices aside and play it for the story, the soundtrack, and the vast, detailed and varied island it's set on, and just forgive the dated graphics and no physics. There's also no voiceovers in the game's dialogue, just on the random chatter as you pass people in towns. But for me, that meant each time I spoke to an NPC was like reading a book, and I could imagine what they sounded like as opposed to them sounding like everyone else in the game a la Oblivion.

There's been a long-running project by modders to re-make Morrowind with Oblivion graphics - that should tell you how good Morrowind fans think the game is and how desperately we want everyone to play it - but it's not worth the hassle to get it running. It requires masses of hacks so you're best off just accepting you're playing an old game but a damn good one. :D

water_vapour
10-31-2011, 07:26 AM
In Morrowind, you're sent to prison in the land of dark elves.

Sorry to split hairs, but in Morrowind you were a prisoner somewhere in Cyrodiil (Imperial City iirc from the narration at the start) who was pardoned, put on a boat and released in Vvardenfell. It's when the guards are processing your release information that you make your character.

Erstok
10-31-2011, 08:09 AM
As far as I see it if they still kept and setup properly people walking around and gossiping it would be great. But beyond that I don't care about voice overs with talking to people. Rather read big text box with communication choices like Morrowind.

I find most voice overs to be cheesy as it is. Ever played Resident Evil? Or even the Remake? Enough said.

As for Skyrim I think it's gonna be just what it is and sold as, another Elders Scrolls games. I did find Oblivion lacking purely from the stand point from Morrowind to Oblivion a lot of the guilds were gone, imperial cult, imperial legion, east empire company, vampire guilds, and of course lot of the culture related guilds like the great houses and Morag Tong. Oblivion cut it down to more or less 4 major guilds Fighters, Mages, Thieves, and Dark Brotherhood. Should of done something let you join local town guard or maybe added in some themed guilds that fit into the areas like maybe something from Skyrim up in the north etc.

As well as with the combat. It's a step up from thwak thwak thwak, ARG. But it still felt the same somewhat in a sense. Got more combat animations but it still was lot more of the same. Instead of missing half the time the enemies just became walking punching bags.

Also with the core story lines lot of times there more or less the same. Your a prisoner who becomes a great hero and saves the land from evil. I think in a lot of ways the core RPG elements are being dumbed down for newer generations which I find sad, cause it's those elements that make great classics. People these days just don't care or are to lazy to read story lines. Daggerfall and Arena had you read, same with Morrowind(minus in game cinematic points) and hell I enjoyed those story lines. Where as Oblivion I really didn't care. Repeated voice actors didn't pull me into the game more, especially with the large open world that seemed boring.

Overall to save people the long read, I think Skyrim will improve on the lacking points of Oblivion and deliver what I feel is a true spiritual successor to Morrowind and a new great Elders Scrolls game. No way to truly know till it's finally played.

Todds first Developer I have respect for, he actually played his product in front of people and showed it off in front of not just the 100 watching, but 100's of thousands over the internet. That in itself I commend.

Garnatian
10-31-2011, 08:20 AM
Because it's being developed by Bethesda and the previous games were also amazing.

fenrirtokara
10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Because it's being developed by Bethesda and the previous games were also amazing.

True, but Oblivion by it self was good, mod community made it GREAT =P
IMO :)

scott1974
10-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Bethesda has burnt me with RAGE pre-order. so I will try a demo first or see if the game comes as a beta or needs a million patches before I fork out $90 USD.

Vendayn
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Bethesda has burnt me with RAGE pre-order. so I will try a demo first or see if the game comes as a beta or needs a million patches before I fork out $90 USD.

Keep in mind...there are two divisions for Bethesda. One that makes their own games (Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3) and one that publishes games (rage, fallout new vegas...as a couple examples)

Having said that...with a game like this, there is bound to be bugs. How buggy that will be? No idea. New engine. A lot of new things...so bugs are bound to be there. Plus, keep in mind they'll sell the DLCs and the game all in one package eventually...depending on how long one wants to wait to buy Skyrim.

alehm
10-31-2011, 11:27 AM
People who refuse to like something because "everyone else does" believes they are thinking for themselves but really they are still allowing what other people are doing to dictate what their decisions will be.

In the end you are only responsible for your own hype, not how hyped everyone else is.

Ecirp
10-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Play the game you want gee.
There is no overhyped game, if you are a not brainless zombie, you know by yourself what you wanna play or not.

I never want CoD for example
I try the demo and it feel boring i can not understand how people play it for years.
If there would be no demo, i know its bad, i don't have try a demo but i was bored.

So don't be a brainless zombie...

If you are not sure buying the game, wait until its cheaper (no money?) or just buy that good game...if you like oblivion.
Its not that hard!
Bethesda always did good RPGs in my mind, so i will buy every RPG of them without reading any test.
I mean come on, they release a TES like every 4 years, every RPG fan should have some money OVER FOUR YEARS DAMN!

Campagnard
10-31-2011, 11:41 AM
why does so many people love it? (When it's not even out yet.)

I haven't played any Elder Scrolls at all

Then THIS is why you don't know why we are all waiting for the game. Morrowind was the best game ever.
Oblivion sucked... At least when compared to morrowind.

Do you have to play the other games to "get/understand" this one?

Not at all. Well, there might be some references to the previous games, but every TES game is a standalone story.

Nanobotter
10-31-2011, 11:46 AM
TES games are EPIC.

kevnb
10-31-2011, 11:58 AM
If you don't know why you should get it then you shouldn't, and instead wait for some reviews... anyone who pre-orders now is doing so based on experience with previous titles in the series, if that doesn't do it for you then nothing we can tell you will change anything.

reviews will be worthless, the game is going to get a high score even if its not great.

Uzibeatle
10-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Well, he is not a moron, first off.

It WOULD be prudent to wait if your in doubt. One simply waits a few weeks or a few months then decides to purchase.

A few advantages for doing so but the main 2 that come to mind (presuming of course your a PC player)
1: Mods will have time to show up and you have more to chose from.
2: Developer will have time to push out any first wave patches
to fix bugs.

In my gaming experience, and I"ve been buying PC based games since the early 80's , it is generally a foolish venture to buy on release.
I could droll on about how many times I was burned or felt burned.
I'll just say, trust me.

Does that mean I will wait for this release? No.
This time I'll buy on release and work on faith and track record to pull thru. It is a gamble, however. There is NO guarantee. PRior work
does not mean anything, in my experience. It is merely a indicator.

In my case, the dollar investment in this game is equal to about
2 average grade bottles of bourbon. Hell, a tank of gasoline.

Not a huge percentage gamble for me at this stage.

Yes, it is hyped like mad game but that is the fan base doing it in anticipation. Yes, the fans could be full of doo-doo.
One case in point on my last statement. Age of Conan.

ANyway, just ignore the hype it means nothing. IT is the game that counts and we will find out post release day.

TheSagetEffect
10-31-2011, 02:33 PM
There's a few reasons people are so hyped about this.

1) It's a first person RPG. These aren't as high in number as third-person. This first person aspect is something that Bethesda has become famous for, from Morrowind to Fallout.

2) It's the definition of roleplaying. Bethesda has a reputation for giving you a character and letting you do the rest. They create a massive world which will take literally hundreds of hours to fully exhaust. They give you a wide variety of abilities and choices - multiple perks, skills, and over a hundred unique spells. They give you a crap load of quests to complete, from the main quest, to daring robbery quests, to action-packed combat quests. There's a variety of guilds and factions you can join.

3) The world is massive. It's about the same as Oblivion, but likely much more populated (considering everything outside of about 75% of the map from the Capital City in IV was deserted). There are over a hundred dungeons, most having a noticeably unique aspect to them.

Unlike most games, Bethesda doesn't focus on one aspect and make that one aspect fantastic. Nor do they focus on multiple aspects and make them decent. The Elder Scrolls has a history for not only focusing on multiple aspects, but making them each addictingly incredible.

tl;dr Tons of choices, a huge, beautifully rendered world, and hours of gameplay.

dannythefool
10-31-2011, 02:43 PM
1) It's a first person RPG. These aren't as high in number as third-person. This first person aspect is something that Bethesda has become famous for, from Morrowind to Fallout.

Haha... I'm looking forward to it primarily because Bethesda's games are some of the few PC RPGs with customizable characters that are acceptable in third person. ;-)

Keeshin
10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Hyped.. it's a popular name. It doesn't matter if it deserves the hype or not, and we'll just have to wait and see what the actual experience is. Like I said before, Oblivion was a pretty boring experience for me and I'm not convinced about Skyrim.

I wasn't going to buy Skyrim at all, but I'm sooo bored. :-/ It releases soon enough that I decided to pick it up. Do I think that it deserves the hype? No, but I'm hoping that it'll be better than Oblivion.

Aedn
10-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Games are only as hyped as consumers and game sites make them. Sadly most of the rational thought and commentary is typically drowned out by the "white noise" of the extremes.

The only hype in skyrim is that its a new elder scrolls game, and will be pretty much like all the other elder scrolls games, with minor changes.

If you like elder scrolls games, then buy it, if your last game was a let down, dont buy it. its pretty simple.

Like every other ES game, skyrim basically takes things that work from the last game, and discards things that dont, attributes for example, were very flawed in oblivion, in relation to skills & leveling.

Every game also basically takes what the mod community does and puts it in the next game, herbalism for morrowind etc, was revamped for oblivion, just like the Minimized hud was taken from FO3/NV, and the deadly reflex mod in oblivion was added to skyrims combat.

the only hype you need to consider, is skyrim worth 60$? its a pretty simple question, with a pretty simple answer based on personal choice.

lukasspro666
10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Because it isn't COD.

I totally agree.

Cobalt2202
10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
You don't have to play previous elder scrolls to understand what's going on. But you can understand its concept. That's why most of us like it.

marstinson
10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
To the OP:

The posts pointing out that most of the hype is being generated by those with experience with the other titles in the series is pretty much dead-on. I count myself among Mr. Shooter's 548 people who just like the series, even though my experience includes all of the games, including Battlespire and the unfortunately unlamented Redguard (it was a decent game, although a bit lacking in the replayability department).

Each of the games has had some qualities that made them outstanding games. Openness in a fantasy setting is the common thread. Battlespire and Redguard were ventures into other genres within the Elder Scrolls milieu, but were much more like traditional linear fantasy games. With each iteration, Bethesda has changed the games. Some fans of previous games have absolutely hated those changes, some have loved them and some have been kind of indifferent. Each new game has attracted a more diverse set of players.

Assuming that past experience is any guide to future performance, I can almost guarantee a few things about Skyrim, though. First, Bethesda will do its best to tell you a good story in an immersive setting. There will be a bunch of players who will scream bloody murder that it isn't immersive enough (I can't tie my shoelaces! I hate this game!) and there will be a bunch of players who will gripe and moan that it's too immersive (I have to hunt for potion ingredients! I hate this game!). In the end, most on both sides will keep playing in spite of their gripes because they will realize that it's a fun game.

Second, the game will fail to live up to all of the fan hype. I've been gaming since we measured RAM in kilobytes and a megabyte was beyond anyone's wildest fantasy. In all of that time, I've never found a game that lived up to the hype. This does not mean that I haven't found any great games. I've found lots of them. But no game has ever measured up to the level of expectation the fans create. Each game stands or falls on its own merits. I expect that Skyrim will do that, too. But it will do it because it's Skyrim, not because it's "Oblivion II" or "Morrowind III" or (for anyone who remembers back that far) "Daggerfall IV".

I had dealings with Todd Howard back in his Redguard days and have followed his work since then. He's very good at what he does. I personally believe that anyone saying "we're looking at a GOTY" before it has even been released has their head so far up their backside that they couldn't find daylight, even with the help of a proctologist. But Todd and crew have consistently delivered great games. Not flawless ones by any long stretch, but games that can and do stand very well on their own. I expect no less from this one. I could very well be disappointed in that expectation, but I don't think so based on what I've seen up to this point.

If you've never played an Elder Scrolls game before, give it a try. At worst you'll spend $60 and a few hours to find that you don't like this kind of thing. At today's prices, that's about the cost of a dinner date at a restaurant, without the awkwardness and indigestion.

heretohelp
10-31-2011, 06:47 PM

You just answered your own question, if you played em before, you'll know why by now ;)

amirfoox
11-01-2011, 01:12 AM
The answer to the title is no.

Next Question?

dannythefool
11-01-2011, 01:23 AM
I personally believe that anyone saying "we're looking at a GOTY" before it has even been released has their head so far up their backside that they couldn't find daylight, even with the help of a proctologist.

I'm 100% sure we're looking at a GOTY because that term means so little these days... any random crap with a big advertising budget is a GOTY these days :P

MultiVaC
11-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Because it isn't COD.

You know, even though this is probably a troll post, it's true. Elder Scrolls games are pretty much the anti-COD. Where COD funnels you through its story so ridiculously strictly that you can't even open doors for yourself, Bethesda's games are so wide open that many people can actually spend upwards of 100 hours in the game without coming close to finishing the main story. The games are huge and full of countless things that you can do however and whenever you want. They're games for explorers and adventurers instead of adrenaline junkies, which is why people like them so much.

derselbe
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Everywhere ...because I love RPG games, but I haven't played any Elder Scrolls at all...

u serious bro?:confused:

;)
:)
:D

r0k94
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
like a lot of users told you, play oblivion and you will see. I played oblivion only for about 3hours(and i alwasys say to myself ill play it soon again) and i love it. Things to do, search for dungeons, list goes on. Im getting skyrim no matter how(like you neverrr done it)

HorrorScope
11-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I'll be happy if Skyrim is as good as Two Worlds 2 or Divinity 2. Not sure it will be with or without mods.

Ad Nauseam
11-01-2011, 05:34 PM
OK, so I'll be disregarding pretty much all previous posts - partly because they don't interest me in the slightest (unless they agree with me, of course) and partly because I've just had some delicious scotch (Glendronach 15yo) and am having some very romantic thoughts involving my bed and a good book (REAMDE, by the fantastic Neal Stephenson).

Hype depends on the hyper. I am EXTREMELY... wait, let me try that again; EXTREMELY excited for this game. I have played both Morrowind and Oblivion for more hours than I am comfortable admitting (let's say, oh... probably more than 600 in total (comfortable enough, apparently)) and I REALLY love that the Elder Scrolls games give me something that other games just don't. I crave that open world with its myriad caves, settlements and, well, things to do and experience. I crave the freedom to be whoever I choose to be, and the freedom to shape that destiny as I see fit.

Of course, the ability to set people I dislike on fire doesn't hurt.

All these things, all this hype, does not mean that I expect specific things from this game. I will go into it feeling excited and I will take the things I see for what they are. I'm going to enjoy this game, and that's that.

Hype is what you make of it. It can be awesome if you learn to moderate it, and it can make an experience incredibly disappointing if you don't. So ♥♥♥♥ing learn how to moderate it.

Evil Kerek
11-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Well for what it's worth I am looking VERY forward to this game based upon previous experience.

BUT - also based upon previous experience, and especially because there is absolutely NO reason to pre-order (as there is no pre-order package) I will give it at least a few days or more and see what comes up on the forums. I fully expect the game to rock..but I've been let down far too many times to risk my $60.

I don't even normally pay full price - I pretty much always wait for a price break, however this game will be an exception for me. The number of hours of play is WAY WAY more than 95% of the games out there for the $60.

Just .02. Your mileage may vary.
EK

Epona222
11-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Well personally I've been eagerly awaiting the next TES game since well before it was announced so it's fair to say that I am super excited now that it's nearly here.

I am also realistic about my expectations. I am not expecting it to be the best looking game released this year (and I don't care that it isn't). I am not expecting to devotedly love every single change that this installment in the series brings. I am not expecting a complete absence of graphics and AI glitches and bugs.

But I'm also a long-time TES fan, Morrowind is still at the top of my personal favourites list, Oblivion is in my top 5, as is Fallout 3 which BGS also made. So I think I can be fairly confident that unless Bethesda made a complete turnip of a game that is completely different to their usual offerings, Skyrim will be worth my anticipation.

I do worry though about people that expect it to be 100% perfect and have melt-your-eyeballs perfect graphics, they are sure to be disappointed.

Keyalha
11-01-2011, 06:43 PM
@Epona222 i couldnt agree more altho the funny thing for me is that 3 of my top 5 games ever are bethesta titles.

1. Anno 1404
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Oblivion
4. Fallout 3
5. Airline Tycoon ( the classical one not the new crappy one )

With Skyrim coming along it as far as it seems will kick Anno some ♥♥♥ and become number one if it isnt as terribly buggy as oblivion was at release.

ShadyGuy
11-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Skyrim is definitely hyped to the max. I never let the hype get in the way of my own expectations of the game, though. I generally like Bethesda games and the Elder Scrolls universe, so in that respect I have no doubt that I'll like Skyrim, but I don't think it'll be the "best RPG ever" or something like that. I expect this to be a AAA game with good production values and a lot of flaws/bugs that will be improved by the modding community. Just like Morrowind and just like Oblivion. :)

TimM
11-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Very few Elder Scrolls fans here. Most of Bethesdas recent games have been crap. You can spot a bethesda fan by the fan talking about Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind. Anybody mentioning Fallout 3 or Oblivion are.. not bethesda fans, but suckers for bad games.

scott1974
11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Very few Elder Scrolls fans here. Most of Bethesdas recent games have been crap. You can spot a bethesda fan by the fan talking about Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind. Anybody mentioning Fallout 3 or Oblivion are.. not bethesda fans, but suckers for bad games.
I'm a big fan of elder scrolls series. But Bethesda has lost credibility with their new $90 price tag and the recent rubbish game RAGE. So I will wait for a DEMO before I pre-Order.

Pyote
11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Very few Elder Scrolls fans here. Most of Bethesdas recent games have been crap. You can spot a bethesda fan by the fan talking about Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind. Anybody mentioning Fallout 3 or Oblivion are.. not bethesda fans, but suckers for bad games.An opinion at best. Elitist rambling at worst. You might think Oblivion and Fallout 3 are bad, but that doesn't mean that someone who likes them better than Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind can't be just as much of a fan as someone who liked the latter over the former. And what about people who like a mixture of any of those?

I'm a big fan of elder scrolls series. But Bethesda has lost credibility with their new $90 price tag and the recent rubbish game RAGE. So I will wait for a DEMO before I pre-Order.They only published RAGE, didn't they? I mean, they didn't really develop it, I didn't think.

TimM
11-01-2011, 07:35 PM
that doesn't mean that someone who likes them better than Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind can't be just as much of a fan as someone who liked the latter over the former. And what about people who like a mixture of any of those?

An opinion at best. Elitist rambling at worst.

scott1974
11-01-2011, 07:39 PM
An opinion at best. Elitist rambling at worst. You might think Oblivion and Fallout 3 are bad, but that doesn't mean that someone who likes them better than Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind can't be just as much of a fan as someone who liked the latter over the former. And what about people who like a mixture of any of those?

They only published RAGE, didn't they? I mean, they didn't really develop it, I didn't think.That's not the point. Bethesda has burnt lots of customer. If they didn't want a bad name they should of changed their name.

Pyote
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
that doesn't mean that someone who likes them better than Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind can't be just as much of a fan as someone who liked the latter over the former. And what about people who like a mixture of any of those?

An opinion at best. Elitist rambling at worst.Saying people can like different things is elitist? :confused:

Kaybald
11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
That's not the point. Bethesda has burnt lots of customer. If they didn't want a bad name they should of changed their name.

Bethesda is a publisher. Anyone stupid enough to actually assume Bethesda is the one who burnt them probably deserves it. The developers made a bad game and ♥♥♥♥ed a lot of people. Not Bethesda. There is absolutely no reason to bring them into this. It's as if I wrote my name on a friend's cast, and then he used that cast to murder someone. Not my fault, my name's just on it.

scott1974
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Bethesda is a publisher. Anyone stupid enough to actually assume Bethesda is the one who burnt them probably deserves it. The developers made a bad game and ♥♥♥♥ed a lot of people. Not Bethesda. There is absolutely no reason to bring them into this. It's as if I wrote my name on a friend's cast, and then he used that cast to murder someone. Not my fault, my name's just on it.Bethesda were the publisher so they call the shots as they are paying the developer after all. So yes it is Bethesda fault. I really want this game but I will only pre-order if there is a demo first.

Cobalt2202
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
It's not hype. Most people who never even been true to Elder Scrolls series feel hype. What I mean by this is, the hype they feel is either: Gonna be great, truly revolutionary...etc. They over-hype and overestimate it, and later be disappointed because of such calculations.
For me, it's just an excitement not being able to wait what the game has in the store for us, the mods, the 'radiant' AI, the 'radiant' quest system, the improved fighting and animation...etc.

JohnnyFronthole
11-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Bethesda is a publisher. Anyone stupid enough to actually assume Bethesda is the one who burnt them probably deserves it. The developers made a bad game and ♥♥♥♥ed a lot of people. Not Bethesda. There is absolutely no reason to bring them into this. It's as if I wrote my name on a friend's cast, and then he used that cast to murder someone. Not my fault, my name's just on it.

So, if I wrote a book that was a guide to sodomizing under age nuns with barbecue tongs, and Bethesda published it, they would deserve none of the blame? Nice logic.

PS: I heart Bethesda; even with barbecue tongs.

Inarborat
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Game will rule. If you're not hyped or actively dislike Bethesda, fine but don't get all high and mighty with your "superior" taste. It's laughable when people try to act all elite when it comes to gaming.

The hubris of many PC gamers is sickening but the good in the community is too great for the haters, the whiners, and the crybabies to ruin anything. Not sure why you'd make multiple posts in a forum for a game you're not looking forward to or have no plans on playing.

Epona222
11-01-2011, 10:27 PM

If you don't like any of Bethesda Game Studios' recent games and think that they have been crap then you cannot rightly claim to be a Bethesda fan (just a sucker for nostalgia) - you like a couple of games from their early catalogue and that's it. You seem to think that gives you bragging rights - well it doesn't. Some of us enjoy all the TES games, past and present, and FO3, and aren't going to apologise for that.

Bane2087
11-01-2011, 10:29 PM

Pff they made some bad games back in the day too. Nobody ever mentions the bad word, Battlespire. I expect Skyrim will be at least as good as Oblivion which I enjoyed immensely especially once some nice mods were made for it.

People seem to forget how bug ridden and flawed games like Daggerfall actually were.

JohnnyFronthole
11-01-2011, 10:33 PM

An opinion at best. Elitist rambling at worst.

5char

TimM
11-02-2011, 04:14 AM
People seem to forget how bug ridden and flawed games like Daggerfall actually were.

People seem to forget how bug ridden and flawed Oblivion and Fallout 3 were as well.

You seem to think that gives you bragging rights

No one is bragging.

Saying people can like different things is elitist?

There is no such thing as elitism when it comes to pc games. If anything it is called purist. Elitism has got to do with people.

Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite — a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.

Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of a limited number of people. Those opposed to elitism are considered supporters of anti-elitism, egalitarianism, populism or the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity or themselves. At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes known as the social elite. The term elitism is also sometimes used to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

dannythefool
11-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Hmm. I've been talking about Daggerfall and Morrowind, but also about Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I'm not sure what drawer that puts me in. Some people seem to be unable to appreciate a game for what it is. Bethesda's games have changed, but I've always found something in them that made me play them for hundreds of hours. That is what makes me a Bethesda fan. Indeed, if I only liked one of their games I'd hardly be a fan. Many studios have put out one good game and then faltered. Many RPG series have had that fortune. How could I call myself a TES fan if I thought the last and the upcoming TES titles are crap?

gotthisfortf2
11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Not every hyped up game is a let down dude.I think this one will be good.