PDA

View Full Version : I love this game, and I want to love it more!

Kakujo
08-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Hello, everyone.

Firstly, I love this game. It's like Super Meat Boy made sweet, sweet love to Minecraft and Tetris. I've been promoting this game to my friends through facebook and my webcomic site, and I'd like to see it get more of the attention I feel it deserves.

I noticed the devs seem to actually check these threads. Awesome. So, if it's not too presumptuous of me, I'd like to give my piece on what I feel would streamline/improve the game further, as a consumer. This isn't a complete list of suggestions; really, I'm only at level 17 or so. I'll probably add more to this list later, as I play more.

So then! In slightly logical order: My Suggestions For BTM

---------------------------------------

Earlier Tutorial!
Improve/implement a tutorial in the first level. Things are eventually explained once you get past the first area, but I mostly wandered around for the first couple levels; I had to figure the controls out for myself. So having things explained from the beginning would be nice. Maybe have Tetrobot run a self-diagnostic that checks basic functions (screen goes cliche DOS-Green) and runs through at LEAST "Move" and "Jump". Markus and Alexey could still introduce the drill.

Skip Dialogue!
Implement an option of disabling dialogue after the first attempt at a level. It's a little frustrating to have to button-mash through it EVERY time.

Checkpoints!
I would love for checkpoints to be implemented. At LEAST halfway-points for the larger levels. The thought crossed my mind a few times while playing the first 13 or so levels, but then I experienced a lot of frustration at having to play the entire level over again because I messed up at the very end. There's something to be said for diligence, but a good part of the game's formula is puzzle. What's the point in mechanically running through the motions for a part you've already solved? The "I DID IT!" feeling is gone, there's no satisfaction; what is there to benefit from, at that point?

"Upgrade Needed" Notification!
Implement some method of notifying players that they'll need an upgrade to obtain a chest. It feels like a waste of time to work towards a chest for a while, only to realize you simply don't have the right upgrade, yet. The "Back-Tracking Once You Have a New Power-up" adds significantly satisfying replay value (in a Metroid kind of way, no?), but a sign, or specifically-colored chest, or a quick word from the creators (e.g. - "I admire your enthusiasm, but I think you'll need an upgrade to get to this chest.") would be great!

Number of Blocks Needed For Star!
I'm actually on the fence about this one: Implement a small UI counter (Top-left, maybe) for the number of blocks needed to obtain a star.

---------------------------------------

Possibly more to come. I'll add to the thread if I think of anything else. Thanks again!

-Kakujo

Sheepdude86
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Regarding checkpoints and dialogue skipping:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24667591&postcount=14

Regarding blocks needed for a star:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24700417&postcount=2

Although I agree, that although there is no certain way of knowing the blocks required for a star beforehand in-game, I'm not sure if I'd want that information in plain view or not.

Regarding first-level tutorializing:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2086517

The "Upgrade Needed" suggestion is something I have not heard of yet. I think it would be neat to have the chests be a different color if they are unattainable at your current upgrade level, that will give a good visual cue without explaining too much.

Kakujo
08-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Awesome! So some of the things are already being addressed! I saw that a couple people already mentioned some of the things I mentioned, but I figured I'd throw in my vote to help with feedback. :)

Thanks for the info/reply!

-Kakujo

GuillaumeSSS
08-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Thanks Kakujo for the suggestions, and thanks Sheepdude86 for all the links you provided, you're so awesome!

Yes, we're reading the forums as much as we can :)

So we read this!

Thanks!

Guillaume

Kakujo
09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks Kakujo for the suggestions, and thanks Sheepdude86 for all the links you provided, you're so awesome!

Yes, we're reading the forums as much as we can :)

So we read this!

Thanks!

Guillaume

Thank you for the reply, Guillaume! I'm glad to see devs paying attention to user feedback! I'm also glad to see BTM's popularity spreading. :D

-Kakujo

inspiral66
09-02-2011, 11:14 AM
A minor suggestion: maybe it's my eyes or my screen, but on some levels it's not always easy to discern the obsidian blocks from the dark brown background. I'm struggling to get the BTM on level 21 simply because I can hardly see the falling black blocks against the dark background, in puzzle or normal mode. Brightening the background would help a lot.