PDA

View Full Version : Not really what I was expecting but should be fun

Clord
09-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I watched this video and I must say that I'm somewhat impressed.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-rock-of-ages/17-4795/

Quite pros.
- AI is more like in modern games where they don't rely to set in stone path but actually tries to find the way with pathfinder (aka not dumb AI like in some Quake Live).
- Physics actually are big part of the game.

Some cons.
- Rock can jump way too easily, making planned defenses just something to jump over.
- Enemy's rock is almost unstoppable other than knocking it around and/or slowing it down (then again those players might not be that good when it comes to doing defenses).
- Rock destroys the gate way too easily (most likely related that weakened rock loses almost next to no it's impacting power).
- Player's and enemy's rocks can't fight against eachother other than in "racing" mode.

abordeu
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Clord,

I watched the video yesterday, and without trying to be too mean, I must say that the Giant Bomb dudes are not the bext example of skilled RoA players. :D (at least not in the video demo)

To address some of your cons:

-A skilled player should use towers, blowers and other obstacles to prevent players from jumping defenses. If you don't combine unit types in one area it's very likely the adversary will cross by easily. None of the towers can be jumped, so add in a couple of well placed blowers and catapults and the scenario completely changes.

-Again, good varied formations can do massive damage to the enemy rock, even the AI. In the first levels it can be quite difficult to destroy the rock completely because you have weaker offenses, but in later levels I've managed to keep my gate intact by barricading certain key areas through which the AI has huge problems getting through.

-Players who are delayed but not damaged will have no problems bashing down the gate in three passes, but if you manage to chip off enough layers from your opponent he'll certainly have to roll down a fourth time (unless he succeeds in using the fireball powerup during one pass).

-After the PC game is released we'll be monitoring the community feedback and certainly release updates with calibrations to keep everything competitive.

Hope this addresses some of your concerns. :)

Clord
09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Game mode with multiple players in each side and all in same map with two bases and some starting defenses would be also nice. There is definitely potential there to some players trying to smash to enemy's rock to keep them from hitting the gate.

abordeu
09-02-2011, 09:04 AM
It would be great to have more players, but that's not something we planned for in this title. It's still something we'll probably look into in the future. There's a bunch of ideas we'll be collecting from the feedback we get, but we'll first begin by looking into the existing game modes and see how they perform. We want to make sure the current experience is enjoyable before anything else.

Chibito
09-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Well, the Giant Bomb vid certainly helped my decision to preorder Rock of Ages. I've watched their Quick Looks before and I think it's understandable that they haven't mastered the game before the video, since they tend to be more like first impressions videos than anything. I look forward most to seeing how the controls feel. Looks fun nevertheless. :)

Clord
09-05-2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYSgMIAaLsA

Awesome, rock can be actually destroyed.

However it seems that so far AI defends better than most of these Youtube videos about the game as of yet but players make up for it with their rock handling skills. :)

abordeu
09-05-2011, 09:25 AM
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Awesome, rock can be actually destroyed.

Yes, of course! This can be difficult to achieve in some of the first levels, but in the latter ones (which feature more powerful upgrades), a good strategy can definitely put a lot of pressure on an opponent. I've already had my share of rage-quits during my Xbox plays! :D

Heiland
09-05-2011, 09:27 AM
A Coop Mode would also be awesome, i hope you guys keep it in mind :D

Floppypants
09-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I had already preordered on Steam before watching the Giant Bomb quick look, but that video only made me more excited to play.