PDA

View Full Version : Does this article shake you?

Cobalt2202
09-01-2011, 01:41 PM
http://kotaku.com/5829491/five-disappointing-things-about-my-first-few-hours-on-dead-island

That article, absolutely did nothing to me but the fact that it just crawls in my brain to not buy this game even more. But I am still buying this game. Anyone?

RojaNNatioN
09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
http://kotaku.com/5829491/five-disappointing-things-about-my-first-few-hours-on-dead-island

That article, absolutely did nothing to me but the fact that it just crawls in my brain to not buy this game even more. But I am still buying this game. Anyone?

That article has been out for a while. It also is exceedingly nit-picky. Also the thing about the pipe was a bug from the demo, and has been fixed. The water complaint is a mechanic used by Crysis and some other games. I don't really understand why he is shredding the game on those little complaints, but if you want to take his review to heart, then do so.

TimM
09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, all the new videos released 1 or 2 day ago, looks AWESOME!

Everything he says is nitpicking. He even said he enjoyed the game.

cezlutac
09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
There was once a blank, expressionless character that couldn't wield weapons of higher level than he/she, though they were practically the same type of weapon they've been using all along. They had to buy equipment from the very people whose lives they saved, and had to walk around chest high walls and foliage instead of jumping them like a normal person would.

That sounds very close to the author's issues with the game, and also very close to the game-play of some of the best-selling games in the last 20 years.

In terms of movable props, it's not very hard to program everything to be a movable object, but it's a hardware restriction that prevents developers from doing this, it's not a design choice.

The only thing on that list I agree with is the poor choice of boundary placement. A simple drowning mechanic could have served to keep players immersed rather than a loud "HEY, YOU CAN'T GO THERE OK?".

azmothman
09-01-2011, 02:05 PM
This article absolutely made me think how nit picky Mike Fahey is. Damn its not a beach volleyball game its a zombies game!!

Since its a RPG game elements within such game as a pipe do break down and you do have to repair and/or upgrade.

As far as swimming in the ocean, yeah it would be cool if there were zombies to pull you down but other games have performed very similar, can we say Far Cry.

agoMiST
09-01-2011, 02:11 PM
A lot of that just seems like needless nitpicking to me...

The first point is shaky because the demo was a limited time, I'm sure over the course of the game the characters will be fleshed out; complaining that all characters begin the same way and play through the same opening/tutorial mission is kinda daft, at least it means all characters start out equal.

The level 5 pipe... It's an RPG get over it! This seems like the kind of game where finding new and more powerful weapons is integral to the gameplay and, I'm guessing, that you've got limited inventory space; therefore do you take the more powerful weapon you can't use or keep one you can use in your inventory in case you're rendered unarmed... This brings me to another point I've seen people whining about, weapons being unrealistic and too sci-fi or magical. The resounding cry being, it's just not realistic... well, you're killing zombies; that's not exactly realistic is it? And if that's what you want you've got plenty of other options for that kind of fare.

The point made about zombies not crashing through items which you, yourself, can move does make sense but then you've gotta think how much programming, collision detection, destruction etc etc that would take to make it work...

Swimming out into the middle of nowhere... really!? It's not a necessity and at least they don't kill you off for taking an action which makes little sense.

The final muddle of complaints are pretty damn fickle, it's an RPG there needs to be some form of system to stop you running unchecked and over armed through the game, sure it may make no logical sense for you to have to use cash to upgrade a weapon at a workbench but this is, after all, just a game!
Complaining about getting locked down for not choosing to start the first mission... was this still a part of the tutorial, if so it would make sense not to let you wander out unprepared. Even if it isn't part of a tutorial it still makes sense to accept a story mission, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to get on it straight off the bat.
Blood in the water... now you are having a laugh!

DancherBoi
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Read the article...pre-ordered anyway...downloading the pre-load now. Can't wait.

Real Love
09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
No it doesn't that guy who wrote that seems negative for some reason the stuff he's complaining about isn't really all that bad, it seems like normal game stuff. You gotta have an appreciation for zombie co-op games. I am hoping this game keeps me satisfied for a long time.

Cobalt2202
09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Glad to hear, because I am getting this game whether or not

robotosis
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Sounds like this guy would find a reason not to like a room full of diamonds and gold. I will be ignoring his reviews, thanks for the heads up.

Chronoz
09-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Complaining for not drowning? I bet he expected to drown like in Assasin's Creed

joker09
09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Guy who wrote the article sounds like a hipster. Not a fan, and I don't have high expectations for Dead Island.. he just sounds like a ♥♥♥♥♥, tbh.

GeneralHERO
09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I think his demo review is decent enough.. he seemed to be wanting higher realism and explorability... he merely said what dissappointed him but in the end he said he enjoyed it despite the flaws he saw... so I'd put him on the list of "read thoroughly and take with a grain of salt"

Baresark
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM
He did nitpick, he admitted he did.

But after everything was said and done, he said he enjoyed the demo, and even finding flaws was fun. Meaning that in the face of his complaints, it's still a good demo.

Sheesh, no one reads anymore.

Loosifur
09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't know, I was really looking forward to the game, and I find I'm less and less excited about it as release gets closer. Not for the reasons in the article, although I do think they're valid complaints. I just have a feeling that I'm going to expect fully sandbox zombie apocalypse, and it's just going to be Mafia II with zombies or something.

But, yeah, the pipe thing is stupid. If the game was a JRPG, and there were teenage girls with cat ears running around and crap, I could see the Level 5 Emerald Sword being totally different from the Level 4 Ruby Sword, but in a pseudo-realistic environment?

Or let me put it another way. What's the most complicated pipe you've ever seen? Do you think you could figure out some way to use it to keep from being eaten alive by a rotting corpse, if you really, REALLY had to?

Fallout does the best job of handling this sort of thing. You can use any weapon at all, but if you don't meet the prereqs, you're terrible with it. So yeah, sure, you can have a 10 in Guns and still pick up that Super-Duper Brush Gun, but don't expect to hit anything that's more than five feet away, the recoil's gonna throw you on your rear, and you'll do more damage throwing it at something.

And how exactly do you fix a lead pipe?

The rest of the stuff I get as either limitations of hardware (it would be awesome if everything had full physics, so zombies could crash through rows of beach chairs, but I'd like my video card to not catch fire, thanks) or just design stuff, like the ocean. Although for the latter I'd go with the "fake infinite" distance you see in some games, where at a certain distance you keep moving but you don't get farther away. Hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

JK_DC
09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I think that is a good sign that all the negatives were nitpicky. He had nothing bad to say about the core game so he had to find something.

thefreeman0001
09-01-2011, 04:02 PM
theres a fella on youtube who has the game early and after watching a half hour im more then excited.

Smear
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
And how exactly do you fix a lead pipe?

*Sage, old man wisdom face* By getting a NEW lead pipe. *Oohh'ing and ahh'ing of an awed crowd.*

Seriously thou, since this game first misrepresented what it was with it's trailers I haven't been going to get it... But I must admit, I'm still a little staggered to see a MMORPG'esque "You're too low level to use this hat" style of game play appear in a Zombie Appoc Simulation. I'd hate to imagine being surrounded by the Horde and having my current weapon snap off in a corpse only to find that a near by 2x4 was FAR too complicated for my puny mortal mind.

shabbyblock
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Now after Dead Island is out hopefully some zombie games take there time to create another awesome game.. Valve I'm talking to you! Make sure you make L4D3 Amazing! And any who.. Game is looking great!

VampLena
09-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I was alittle nervous about the game, but i saw some ingame video on Youtube and it looks so much like Fallout NV and Dead Rising 2 had a love child in the form of Dead Island, and Im hyped again.

Really anyone who thinks this game might be bad now look up gameplay videos of it on You tube, they'll change your mind unless you hate Fallout/Oblivion style games.

Im use to RPGs, so the level 5 pipe thing is just normal to me, maybe it is stupid but if you've been playing RPGs for a long time your use to such silly restrictions.

sharkietoo
09-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I was alittle nervous about the game, but i saw some ingame video on Youtube and it looks so much like Fallout NV and Dead Rising 2 had a love child in the form of Dead Island, and Im hyped again.

Really anyone who thinks this game might be bad now look up gameplay videos of it on You tube, they'll change your mind unless you hate Fallout/Oblivion style games.

Im use to RPGs, so the level 5 pipe thing is just normal to me, maybe it is stupid but if you've been playing RPGs for a long time your use to such silly restrictions.

Actually, the more youtube & vids I see the more Iam losing confidence in this game. And yes, I live for Fallout/Oblivion...

As far as the pipe goes, I can accept in an RPG that when Iam using a higher level pipe than me...my aim will be off due to needing more strength/experience, not the issue of not being able to swing it at all. But the game isnt realistic, so why would it approximate realistic events & occurrences.

Right2Live
09-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Funny, I thought the exact same as he did when I saw you had to use money to upgrade weapons in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, lol.

robotosis
09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
People complaining about realism in zombie games. Funny.

ATLbandit
09-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Gawker sites are notoriously filled with amateur bloggers, recently one of them publicly outed a Magic(card game) champion and then ridiculed him over a date. It was truly a shameful affair and what I have come to expect from Gawker sites over the years.

That being said, I look for my reviews elsewhere - certainly not Kotaku.

VampLena
09-01-2011, 10:04 PM

Wow, I dont know how anyone who loves Oblivion/Fallout can loose confidence in Dead Island after seeing the videos, it looks so much like it. Its enough that I showed some gameplay videos to a friend who also loves Oblivion/Fallout and told them it was a Co op/RPG and they preordered it right away.

agoMiST
09-01-2011, 10:39 PM
People moaning about level restricted items in an rpg need a damn slap!

In Fallout 3 I can run from the vault over to the museum and easily pick up one of the most powerful guns in the game without leveling up once; and guess what it not only helps make a cake walk game, a cake walk but it's damn boring to boot. Once you have the best item/weapon available why bother looting, exploring, searching?

I'd also like to add, all these arguments about the lack of realism are redundant, you're not playing a war sim, you're not recreating an historical conflict; you're killing zombies, when was the last known zombie conflict reported on a noteworthy news station... oh, wait, never; because it's fantasy, just like this game is...

Heburnll
09-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Only thing i even slightly agree on is that the game comes of and seemingly advertises itself as an open game world, but it is not. That's okay with me though, The different areas seem big enough for my tastes.

Cobalt2202
09-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Only thing i even slightly agree on is that the game comes of and seemingly advertises itself as an open game world, but it is not.

How so? At least the game is not linear. You can try to ignore assignments and rewards and go straight into the heart of the city... And let me tell you, you will be fighting level 9000 for all you know, when you are still level 1. Of course, first few assignments would be almost impossible to avoid, because obviously you set your main herd of survivors to life guard station which provides you with a table to fix your weapons, sort of like finishing up a tutorial and now you are up for some real trouble making.

Inarborat
09-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Gawker sites are notoriously filled with amateur bloggers, recently one of them publicly outed a Magic(card game) champion and then ridiculed him over a date. It was truly a shameful affair and what I have come to expect from Gawker sites over the years.

That being said, I look for my reviews elsewhere - certainly not Kotaku.

This X 1,000,000

Remember, this is also the same site praising Razer's new Blade laptop as step towards making PCs more of a platform like consoles.

Kotaku and Destructoid are the absolute worst sites for reviews and whose opinions are no more valid than some jerk sitting next to you on the bus. One of the prime examples of what ails the gaming industry these days.

I bought the game on a whim because GMG had a killer pre-order deal, decided to check out a few of the recent videos and I'm pretty excited for the game. It'll have faults no doubt but I think overall, it'll be fun and there's a lot of content there.

jordan483
09-02-2011, 12:54 AM
One thing you have to realize is that Kotaku are the worst critics to believe in especially when their argument was so childish and ridiculously clue-less I don't think you should be affected as to wether or not you want to buy this game.

Ju5t1c3
09-02-2011, 02:47 AM
Yes, all the new videos released 1 or 2 day ago, looks AWESOME!

Everything he says is nitpicking. He even said he enjoyed the game.

The reviewers job is to remain subjective and point out the flaws as well as the strong points of a product........it's not his job to ignore things that pissed him off just cause you want the game to be awesome....

robotosis
09-02-2011, 02:59 AM
The reviewers job is to remain subjective and point out the flaws as well as the strong points of a product........it's not his job to ignore things that jarateed him off just cause you want the game to be awesome....

There's a difference between reviewing a game and attacking a game. And that was an attack. Who knows why? Regardless Kotaku is on my blacklist now for that ridiculous rant about nothing.

Raziel123
09-02-2011, 04:05 AM
"I even had fun finding flaws."

What greater praise can be given? I think you are making the article look more negative than it is

TimM
09-02-2011, 04:10 AM
The reviewers job is to remain subjective and point out the flaws as well as the strong points of a product........it's not his job to ignore things that jarateed him off just cause you want the game to be awesome....

This was not a review, some guy got the early version and played it.

And then later gave his "review", he is a regular gamer who is not getting paid, he is playing the entire game, and you can watch it if you will, I will just try not too as I want to see for myself. As he is playing THE ENTIRE game.

I am talking about the new vidoes released not about this fools review.

City Builder
09-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I think the main thing that disturbs me about the videos that I've seen so far is that there doesn't appear to be any damage to the zombies when you shoot, or hack away at them, just some sort of blood splat effect.

I hope I've just been watching some really old videos of the game.