PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow six vegas 2 or raven shield?

FRESHKIDTEX
09-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I love rainbow six vegas 2 on console the blindfire coop guns realism. However on pc i hear that more people play ravens shield even the mods are for it.
Im not a graphics ♥♥♥♥♥ but are the graphics at least comparible to vegas and gameplay I can do w/o sprint but the gunplay an ai are they still insta kills. Overall is it as action packed as vegas 2 or is it a stealth game
competitively and cooperatively whats the better game because rainbow six has my favorite game series since ps1 and im 17 now

FRESHKIDTEX
09-01-2011, 06:29 PM
also what about lockdown im just looking for the game worth my $10 and has an decent community

FRESHKIDTEX
09-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks im about to purchase it over mw2

phantom_six
09-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I'd go with Ravenshield, its the last of the tactical Rainbow Six, the Vegas 2 one is a dumbed down arcade version and is no longer true rainbow six. Lockdown is just a mess and you should purchase it over MW2, MW2 PC is a mess without dedicated servers, mods, or custom maps.

DrFreenote
11-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Since when was Vegas or Vegas 2 realistic? Ubisoft pretty much took the Tactical FPS genre and diluted it with linear-based gameplay, added a load of features that make the game play more like a Hollywood movie, and it even goes as far as to add a gradual auto-heal system, meaning if you're lucky, by the end of the round you could have survived one hundred bullets just by getting back into cover quick enough and letting the NPC's get killed so you can infinitely inject them with magical healing liquid. Sorry, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself, aren't I?

In my opinion, the true meaning of Tactical FPS had died with the release of Vegas, and any claims of realism within the game died with it. While in games such as Raven Shield, where you are given a level, and you choose for yourself how to tackle overtaking an area with minimal team casualties, in Vegas, you are subjected to running a linear path with minor decisions on how to flank, but essentially not enough to even compare to games like Raven Shield. Furthermore, Raven Shield also adds an interesting sense of tactics due to how enemies spawn; They will spawn and walk around in random locations every time the map is reloaded, meaning you have to be on your toes for every corner. Now, I'm not sure about Vegas 2, but this point seems valid for the original Vegas, as enemies seem to spawn in a static position every time. Yes, sometimes your decisions will trigger different responses, and different enemies will spawn, but the issue is, if you choose that decision repeatedly, you will inevitably come to the same spawning arrangement every time.

When it comes to blind firing, to put it very simply, it is not realistic. Yes, you get to lay down some cover fire while behind a concrete barrier, preventing you from being harmed, but think about this for a second. This is a team of highly trained tactical experts intercepting areas with high civilian rates, among other things. No tactical unit in their right mind would even consider blind firing in such a situation. What Raven Shield and other games in the series lack in blind firing, they make up for with leaning, which is, in my opinion, an amazing gameplay element that really adds to the tactical side of the game.

To point out another key difference, which I actually mentioned earlier, the health systems have changed completely. In Raven Shield, you can only take one or two hits before going down, which can seem like a daunting fact at first, but when you realise that the game is a tactical shooter, and not a run-and-gun shooter, it becomes clear that this is a benefit to the gameplay. When it comes to Vegas and Vegas 2, I can't count how many times I've been shot in the hand while blind firing, only to wait a few seconds and shrug it off as if I still had all my fingers, which I surprisingly do. I can see why they made this choice from a design standpoint; They were putting a guy in a long snaking corridor with two completely useless AI team mates being shot at from all angles by god knows how many enemies at once. A simple "one shot, you're wounded, two shots, you're dead" system would not have worked in that case. However, that completely defeats the purpose of what the game was to begin with. In Raven Shield and other such games, you tackled the area one terrorist at a time. You paced yourself and only took on enemies that you knew you had the advantage against. Failure to do so resulted in bullets going through your body and an entire team falling within seconds. If we're still going on the realism argument, than really you should see where I'm going with this. If you try to one-man-army a room full of terrorists in real life without having a plan of action, you are going to need a sudden decrease of lead in your diet.

I don't know, I could honestly go on, but I figure the large wall of text speaks for itself.

tl;dr, Vegas and Vegas 2 are not realistic by any stretch of the imagination.

I suppose more on topic, both games have their own target audiences which makes the game difficult to compare. If you're into modern day streamlined shooters that follow a linear story while killing the same baddies over and over again, the Vegas games are for you. If you long for the realistic tactical shooter that rewards players for pacing themselves and really planning a situation out before attempting to tackle it, than you need to pick up Raven Shield, or to be more specific, the Rainbow Six 3 Gold Edition, which comes with Raven Shield and Athena Sword. Really, it boils down to personal preference.

skywarp00
11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
i def agree with DR there, i really hope patriots goes back to some roots.

stevelatinner
12-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Vegas and Vegas 2 are not realistic by any stretch of the imagination.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Raven Shield is infact LESS realistic. The AI is so dumb. It just stands still, typically alone in a room, while you repetitively sneak inside each room along a corridor and shoot the guy in the back. It's nothing more than target practice and gets boring real fast.

Shoot without a silencer (no-one does this) or make a frontal approach, and the AI will instakill you, typically in a fraction of a second. Again, totally unrealistic reaction and aiming times.

Vegas is more realistic in several ways. 1, the graphics are far more immersive and realistic. 2, the AI hunts you down, often using flanks from multiple directions. 3+4, you fight more than one enemy at a time, and use cover. Therefore you are involved in realistic firefights. There is no cover system in Raven Shield, just as there are no real firefights (it's sneak up and shoot them in the back or be instakilled, remember). 5, firearms are modelled more realistically and feel very different as they should unlike the weapons in Raven. 6, enemies frequently throw flashbangs and the effects on you are worse than in Raven.

The only valid point you have is health, but in truth, 7, a shot to the head or close range with a powerful weapon will kill you just as quickly as in Raven, 8, the effects of injury (disorientating blur and darkness, etc) degrade your ability to fight back unlike in Raven where getting injured just turns a health circle into a semi circle with no apparent effect except you can't run. So, even this is an improvement.

FRESHKIDTEX
12-25-2011, 08:53 AM
I clearly said gun realism. Im talking about how the guns clearly look like the guns in real life, how each and every weapon cant be fired the same with the same result.( the g36c compared to the l85a2). How in cod all you have to do is spray to win and each weapon is just a new skin on the same gun. Switching fire modes, the fact that in multiplayer everybody has their own weapon because their trigger fingers are different( not all aks 74u or famas.) I never said anything about the game being realistic. i still play rainbow six vegas 2 because of the gunplay

FRESHKIDTEX
12-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree with steve because even on casual in terrorist i never take that many bullets. I understand what you mean with the regeneration but in terrorist how many times do you get to regenerate its usually an insta-kill before the terrorist even turns around.(if you slow it down you sometimes see the terrorist didnt fully turn around before you were shot)