PDA

View Full Version : CoD War Chest Does Not Work

jonomir
09-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I run Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and have been running Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands, etc. flawlessly. I just downloaded the CoD war chest (CoD1, UO, CoD2) and none of them will work, giving me the ".exe has stopped working" error on startup. CoD2 actually got to the main menu, but the second I adjusted my graphics options it crashed the same way.

I tried the fix that the second poster provided in this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24857276&posted=1#post24857276 and got this error:

http://i.imgur.com/jqRZw.jpg

I don't see why I should have to do crazy fixes and mess with my drivers that have been updated completely fairly recently, considering this is an old game and is a fresh install. I also tried the sound settings "fix" where you disable other sound playback devices, and have restarted everything. There has never been anything wrong with my hardware or settings before for any other game, and I shouldn't have to tinker with them for these games. This is ridiculous.

If no one from the Steam Support Team is able to resolve this, I want to know how to get a refund.

Pentagram
09-04-2011, 01:59 PM
locate the exe file, right click, select properties. Run the games in compatability mode for Windows XP service pack 2 and/or 3

if that doesnt work, validate the files to ensure that you arent missing anything

jonomir
09-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I already did that.
My point is I shouldn't have to do stupid ♥♥♥♥ like this to run a dated game that I literally just bought and installed.

Jangocat
09-04-2011, 08:11 PM
The OP is right. There is something screwy with the war chest package, at least with win 7 64 bit. My specs are Win 7 ultimate, 8 gigs of ram, AMD Phenom X6 T1100, Radeon HD 6800. All windows updates, latest catalyst drivers 11.6. Steam and all content are installed on a secondary drive E. I also tried the DLL download suggested and got the same 998 error. Tried running as administrator, tried compatibility mods, tried reinstalling and validating files.

I get the launch error on COD and CODUO. The weird thing is COD2 runs normally at the highest widescreen resolution.

I got COD to load right after I downloaded it last night, today after reboot it wont launch. Didn't try CODUO till today. From what I can tell it appears COD and CODUO do not install properly or the update process corrupts them.

There's obviously something wrong with the installations as both shortcuts for those two games are white blank squares, while every other desktop shortcut for all my other steam games have the proper graphic. The Game ID's may be wrong. The COD one is steam://rungameid/2620 and the CODUO is steam://rungameid/2640. The executables may also be wrong as double clicking on either one of them gives a "Failed to find Steam" error and opens a web page to download Steam.

Booty_Juice
09-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I was just about to buy this one. Good thing I checked the forums first!

SpudAlmighty
09-05-2011, 12:45 AM
I already did that.
My point is I shouldn't have to do stupid ♥♥♥♥ like this to run a dated game that I literally just bought and installed.

Hey buddy, calm the attitude. Here is the fact you forgot to take into account. One of these games is 10 years old... it is not made for modern computers and never will be!

If you want to play old games on pc you have to accept the fact you have to take that extra step to make sure they work. PC gaming is not for the lazy.

Hell if you think getting this to run is bad, you should try some DOS games and see how much effort that takes!

To me, it just sounds like a compatability issue, easily sorted BUT if it's not, I'm pretty sure some of the good folks here will help you out!

Just don't got ranting and raving when an old game doesn't work!

jonomir
09-05-2011, 02:04 AM
Hey buddy, calm the attitude. Here is the fact you forgot to take into account. One of these games is 10 years old... it is not made for modern computers and never will be!

If you want to play old games on pc you have to accept the fact you have to take that extra step to make sure they work. PC gaming is not for the lazy.

Hell if you think getting this to run is bad, you should try some DOS games and see how much effort that takes!

To me, it just sounds like a compatability issue, easily sorted BUT if it's not, I'm pretty sure some of the good folks here will help you out!

Just don't got ranting and raving when an old game doesn't work!
I will go ranting and raving when Steam sells off a game that they have not tested for compatibility or applied the proper fixes. Not to mention they don't even bother mentioning, if this was a known issue, that it may not work for certain systems (practically all newer systems). That would be like you buying a used car from a reputable dealer that won't even start and they just say "well, you knew it was used. looks like you'll have to buy some starter plugs. if that doesn't work ask the guys at the forums maybe they can find you a new engine." Straight off the lot. That's bull♥♥♥♥.

If they haven't fixed it for widespread use on new systems, they shouldn't be marketing and selling it off on these gimmicky weekend deals, or at all through their client for that matter. I could go torrent a cracked copy if I wanted to deal with all the hoop-jumping and hotfixes. But if you pay money for something you expect it to be legit and work like new, especially when there are no disclaimers on it. When you sell a product through your company it is your responsibility to test it for quality and functionality, not the customer's.

diver1260
09-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I never had that problem with the war chest. I have working retail versions of CoD1 and CoD2 on my computer and decided to buy the war chest so I could get CoD1:UO and digital copies of the others. I am running Windows 7 64-Bit with 6GB ram and an i5 processor and I haven't had any problems with any of the 3 games. It might just be your computer or some incompatible software on your system, but as far as I am concerned, there shouldn't be any reason why these won't work on Windows 7.

Honestly, tinkering with computer settings and such is part of being a computer gamer. If you want everything to work perfectly all the time you should just sell your computer and go buy a video game console and stop complaining when something goes wrong.

jwcw
09-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Its an ATI issue, worked fine on my gtx 280 now i upgraded to a 6970 neither COD or CODUO work. COD2 does though.

TruffleSniffer
09-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I have 2 ATI HD 5770 in crossfire along with Windows 7 it will only launch through the desktop icon and to get the game running I have it set in windows compatibility XP Service pack3. Runs fine now.

gringopig
09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Having noticed the 50% off offer on the 'War Chest', I dug out my retail boxes for another play through. CoD plus United Offensive and CoD2 installed on Windows 7 x64 with I7-950 @ 4.2GHz and two GTx570 in SLI.
The only issues I have had is with widescreen formatting which I fixed by editing the config file according to these instructions: http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/call-duty

I've just completed CoD on veteran and actually enjoyed this old game. Even the multiplayer is still played too!

So, no need to run in compatibility mode or other tricks, these games run out of the box. I chose not to install DirectX9 from the installer. Just a FYI to compare retail/Steam...

Driftdraft
09-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I have 2 ATI HD 5770 in crossfire along with Windows 7 it will only launch through the desktop icon and to get the game running I have it set in windows compatibility XP Service pack3. Runs fine now.
Thank you! I had tried every other method to get the game running and all it needed was to run the game through its shortcut! Now the widescreen fix works, too! Thank you very much!!!

corwyn77
09-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I tried the shortcut route with xp compatibility mode. Using the shortcut I get an error message saying Steam cannot be found and then it opens the homepage for steam.

Edit: downloaded the second dll from the thread below. It is beyond me why this file isn't part of the steam install but it fixed my issues with both cod 1 and uo.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2093229

jonomir
09-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I never had that problem with the war chest. I have working retail versions of CoD1 and CoD2 on my computer and decided to buy the war chest so I could get CoD1:UO and digital copies of the others. I am running Windows 7 64-Bit with 6GB ram and an i5 processor and I haven't had any problems with any of the 3 games. It might just be your computer or some incompatible software on your system, but as far as I am concerned, there shouldn't be any reason why these won't work on Windows 7.

Honestly, tinkering with computer settings and such is part of being a computer gamer. If you want everything to work perfectly all the time you should just sell your computer and go buy a video game console and stop complaining when something goes wrong.
You still don't realize the implications you're making. Every other game I have bought and run through Steam, some of them very old, has worked flawlessly "out of the box." What you're basically saying is that "if I want my car to work perfectly off the lot I should just sell it and go ride the bus and stop complaining." So you would buy a used car off the lot with no disclaimers and no visible problems and fully expect to have to try and fix mechanical issues with it right away.

This is not 1997, when you were left on your own to deal with whatever computer issues you may have because your computer probably sucked or was screwed up to begin with. Computers are built now to be every bit as stable and more powerful than a console and shouldn't have these problems with a dated program that was sold and installed fresh off the shelf with no other disclaimers.

Video games, on ANY platform, are products just like everything else, which should be tested for compatibility and functionality before being SOLD to the mass public. And when ♥♥♥♥ like this goes wrong for MANY people, they should follow up with whatever customer support it takes to get them working, or get them refunded, not just throwing them to the forums of random people that say things like "well u shuldnt hav bought it then."

None of the above "fixes" work. I do the desktop shortcut with compatibility mode and get the "Cannot find Steam" error, and I don't have a config.cfg file in my game directory to adjust the widescreen formatting with. Once again, I've tried every "fix" people have suggested, but the point is that I shouldn't have to. Thank you to those that have at least made suggestions, though.

jonomir
09-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I've sent their "customer support" two tickets, one of which asking how to get a refund, and neither have gotten replies or even acknowledgement of them being processed in almost two days. I could not find their phone number anywhere and had to google it to find from someone else who had trouble tracking it down. I called them and they made me leave a voicemail message. How hard is it to talk to a real live employee here? This could be the last time I ever do any business through/with Steam.

KichigaiNeko
09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Hello all
I too appear to be having trouble loading COD1, I'm on XP Pro, so I ufortunately can't set it to compatibility mode, the .dll files downloaded from the other Steam thread complain that I don't have openGL and I've validated my files and updated my graphics drivers to latest ones.
The specs that I can find on my machine are:
graphics: ATI Radeon HD5700 series
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo and 2Gb RAM

I have had the old disc copy of COD and COD2 working on this oldie before, but alas I don't have them anymore (****Edit**** Just got CoD2 in, that runs fine, so atm it's just COd1 that doesn't 0_o ).

Am I missing something here that I can try? I'm afraid I'm not all up on the inner working of computer gaming workarounds.

Thanks for your time

Nipedley
09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
The publisher is at fault here, not steam. It's the publisher's responsibility to make sure their goods are fit for purpose. Clearly as this is an old game there will always be pitfalls, but it should at least be marked on their store page.

A similar issue I had with X-COM Interceptor sold by 2K Games, it's actually listed as compatible with Windows XP/Vista on the store page but won't work properly on any other OS than Windows 98! But that isn't Steams fault.

With that said, there are almost always workarounds. I used the atioglxx.dll available in one of the threads (I believe it was this link: http://www.gamefront.com/files/16696483/atioglxx.rar/ ) placed into the Call of Duty folder and that did the job for me here. My graphics card is an ATI 5730 HD, so if you have something similar then that should work for you too

Also I should add that Steam's support service is excruciatingly slow, last time I had to speak to them it took about 7 days to get a reply (they oversold a product and so I didnt get a cd-key, they did fix it eventually)

jonomir
09-06-2011, 03:04 PM
The publisher is at fault here, not steam. It's the publisher's responsibility to make sure their goods are fit for purpose. Clearly as this is an old game there will always be pitfalls, but it should at least be marked on their store page.

A similar issue I had with X-COM Interceptor sold by 2K Games, it's actually listed as compatible with Windows XP/Vista on the store page but won't work properly on any other OS than Windows 98! But that isn't Steams fault.

With that said, there are almost always workarounds. I used the atioglxx.dll available in one of the threads (I believe it was this link: http://www.gamefront.com/files/16696483/atioglxx.rar/ ) placed into the Call of Duty folder and that did the job for me here. My graphics card is an ATI 5730 HD, so if you have something similar then that should work for you too

Also I should add that Steam's support service is excruciatingly slow, last time I had to speak to them it took about 7 days to get a reply (they oversold a product and so I didnt get a cd-key, they did fix it eventually)
As posted earlier, I already tried that. And my card was charged to Valve. Middle-man or manufacturer, if you're getting a piece of the pie you're getting a piece of the responsibility. Especially when the Steam client is actually a major part of operating the game itself. Activision may have not intended the game to be sold after 2003, but Steam was the one marketing and selling it with their Call of Duty deals.

Pentagram
09-06-2011, 03:30 PM
im running windows 7 64 bit and it works flawlessly for me... :\

jwcw
09-06-2011, 05:34 PM

This managed to fix mine i can play and launch the game now but still cant get the resolution fix to work with steam and am getting about 40 fps on this game with an i7, 6.gm ram and a 6970.

It also seems like only ATI cards have issues.

jonomir
09-13-2011, 08:11 PM
After battling with Steam support for almost two weeks I finally got them to agree to give me a refund. What a horrible experience.