PDA

View Full Version : Why not buying this game is for the greater good

Nugma
09-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Activision has set the MSRP of this game to 50 for PC, if you buy this game for the price of 50, what's to stop Activision from pricing ALL of their new releases in this way?

Don't be an idiot and fall for this very clever con. Vote with your wallet.

OrangeNinja
09-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Aren't many games cost 50 euros? S:
Seriously, 60$ games are old news.

YellowTree
09-06-2011, 08:02 AM
My wallet is big enough. It voted "buy".

dylanstrategie
09-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I just can't believe that people are whining about a 60 $ price when almost every serious game now has a 50 $ price

Guess those are kids that couldn't get 60 $ off their parents, and after 1 week crying and screaming at them, started trolling on the MW3 forum to feel less lonely

If they are adult, this is even worse, ♥♥♥♥ing hell, you can't even pay a game 60 $ ? Are half of the people out here living under a bridge or about to be or what ?

RhinoMatte
09-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I just can't believe that people are whining about a 60 $ price when almost every serious game now has a 50 $ price

Guess those are kids that couldn't get 60 $ off their parents, and after 1 week crying and screaming at them, started trolling on the MW3 forum to feel less lonely

If they are adult, this is even worse, ♥♥♥♥ing hell, you can't even pay a game 60 $ ? Are half of the people out here living under a bridge or about to be or what ?

If they're kids, it could be like that. If they're adults, they're used to paying less for games with more content.

Also, Portal 2 was 40 bucks preorder, 50 for a month or two and now 30. 60 is way overpriced for a 6 hour campaign.

Garrett2112
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
IMO, Activision has marketed (and developed) this game mostly to kids - as they know it will be the huge portion of it's sales (as with Blops) - which is why I always laugh when Bobby K/Activision publicly tries to state otherwise.

It's not necessarily the full price of the game - but rather the introduction COD Elite that players should say no to. While I certainly can understand players liking some of the extensive features of it - it's also IMO going to be the big door in for Activision to seriously gouge customers in the future.

Want DLC? - Have to subscribe to COD Elite
Want special MP modes? Have to subscribe to Elite
Want to have weapons/perks other players don't (so you can have an advantage)? - Have to subscribe to Elite
Want the next COD? - OK the Single player is included in the $60, but if you want to play MP - Have to subscribe to COD Elite.

Some analysts are predicting Elite will pull in ~$50M in revenue just from the first year of it. And a lot of gamers can't seem to give more and more power over to Activision fast enough & I would argue they are pretty much buying the same game over again in MW3 - when IMO, it's more like a DLC pack for Blops.

Bandtx
09-07-2011, 03:37 PM
If they're kids, it could be like that. If they're adults, they're used to paying less for games with more content.

Also, Portal 2 was 40 bucks preorder, 50 for a month or two and now 30. 60 is way overpriced for a 6 hour campaign.

There's no replay value for portal, you beat it once and that's it. 60$ is for campaign, multiplayer and survival mode. Just multiplayer alone will be easily 100+ hours worth of gameplay for most.

mmm toast
09-07-2011, 06:59 PM
There's no replay value for portal, you beat it once and that's it. 60$ is for campaign, multiplayer and survival mode. Just multiplayer alone will be easily 100+ hours worth of gameplay for most.

Agreed. Considering ive got 1500 hours in mw2, id say my 90 bucks for the game and 2 dlcs is well worth it.

When you guys were buying 50 dollar triple A games i bet gas prices were a lot lower as well as a gallon of milk... Id say sometimes theres inflation... Is this me justifying the money i spend? Sure... Can i justify the 6000 dollars i apent on the lift, rims, and tires for my super duty? Sure i can... But to be honest in the end people will buy it and people will enjoy it. Will Activision push for pay-to-play for mp in the future? Possibly but im willing to bet thatll hurt em bad in the end. With damn near every other game out there not this way. I think people would move on.

SCR.eVAC
09-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Black Ops cost me $118 NZ dollars,MW3 cost me $70 NZ dollars.
Theres a huge DRM ♥♥♥♥storm coming to the consoles, now they can have a taste of the bs we sit through.

Assassin1471
09-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Want DLC For Free? - Have to subscribe to COD Elite
Want special MP modes? Have to subscribe to Elite
Want to have weapons/perks other players don't (so you can have an advantage)? - Have to subscribe to Elite <-- Completely false
Want the next COD? - OK the Single player is included in the $60, but if you want to play MP - Have to subscribe to COD Elite. Also Completely False.

1) dont talk ♥♥♥♥ about weapons and perks specific to elite subscribers. that is utter ♥♥♥♥e and you know it so stop trolling.

2) MP is available to anyone that does OR dusnt subscribe to elite.

get your facts right before coming onto these forums acting like the holy grail of knowledge.

Preditorian
09-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Interesting how people are basically attacking the ones who do not see a $60+ price tag worth the content provided.

Now I can understand it in terms of the dollar amount, after all $10 is couch change, but try to look at it as a percentage. So for PC games, they tend to run about $50, now we have games that do not have to pay royalties to the console they are on that still want to keep the price that goes along with it. So if we do not even look at the dollars, and only look at the percent, then Activision's greed put a 20% price increase on a game that does not warrant the increase. 20% is a extreme hike from what people are expecting, so when people say they are angry over $10+, its a valid comment.

If the value of the game is relative, then trying to assault ones views on the value is just plain silly. If you can afford it, then that is fine, but there is no need for people to start to bash the ones who do not see it as being worth the price tag that is offered.

Assassin1471
09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Interesting how people are basically attacking the ones who do not see a $60+ price tag worth the content provided.

If the value of the game is relative, then trying to assault ones views on the value is just plain silly. If you can afford it, then that is fine, but there is no need for people to start to bash the ones who do not see it as being worth the price tag that is offered.

im not bashing anyone. if someone does or does not buy a game is down to them.

most ( if not all ) players who have preordered mw3 look at the positive side to it. extended single player experience. new maps, new guns, DEDI SERVERS. etc.

the new survival mode looks really sick too.

i cant wait.

Astrixzero
09-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Here's the full list of COD Elite features:

http://www.lo-ping.org/2011/09/05/call-of-duty-elite-whats-free-and-whats-not/

Basic stats tracking and the like are free, premium give you access to all DLCs and entry into competitions. I won't be getting it, but the paid features are quite reasonable.

Obii
09-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Basic stats tracking and the like are free, premium give you access to all DLCs and entry into competitions. I won't be getting it, but the paid features are quite reasonable.

so there's 20 DLCs, 9 monthly DLCs, extra maps, extra spec ops missions and extra game modes (plus moar)? the deal on this game gets worse all the time, if you don't pay the sub you can expect to pay over 10 per DLC? unless DLC comes in at 99p this game is a ♥♥♥♥ing rip off already.

michaelkane
09-08-2011, 09:08 AM
So out of a million 100 people wont buy with your thread.

Big deal.......

Assassin1471
09-08-2011, 10:16 AM

Astrix i dont suppose you know of the prices of the Elite service do you? i can only find the yearly cost. but i want monthly or mabey 3 month.

Obii
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Astrix i dont suppose you know of the prices of the Elite service do you? i can only find the yearly cost. but i want monthly or mabey 3 month.

think someone linked it on these forums already, sumat like $59.99 a year with no other options, someone will jump in with the actual answer so free bump in the mean time.

Ganger
09-08-2011, 11:01 AM

People are not paying for the 6 hour campaign, people are paying for the multiplayer.

Assassin1471
09-08-2011, 11:12 AM
People are not paying for the 6 hour campaign, people are paying for the multiplayer.

this is true.

i have over 1300 hours of mw2 on record so that 39.99 i paid was well spent.

although the single player does bring some long hours of entertainment for me too.

Ganger
09-08-2011, 11:20 AM
this is true.

i have over 1300 hours of mw2 on record so that 39.99 i paid was well spent.

although the single player does bring some long hours of entertainment for me too.

I would say you definitely got your monies worth out of it, I have 252 hours for MW2 and the 30 I spend at tesco for the game was worth it.

What I don't seem to understand is all the bashing of MW2 by players who play the game every night for hours on end. They complain the game is bad, rubbish, ripoff etc but still put hundereds of hours of gameplay into it.

Garrett2112
09-08-2011, 03:06 PM
1) dont talk ♥♥♥♥ about weapons and perks specific to elite subscribers. that is utter ♥♥♥♥e and you know it so stop trolling.

2) MP is available to anyone that does OR dusnt subscribe to elite.

get your facts right before coming onto these forums acting like the holy grail of knowledge.
Granted, I really should have clarified/made clearer my point better prior to listing that (and thus agree on your points for the current state of Elite/MW3) - but is also why I put the "it's also IMO going to be the big door in for Activision to seriously gouge customers in the future." before I listed those.

My intended point was that after the first revision of Elite was released & on the next COD go round - that Activision may then use COD Elite to take it up a notch further.

I can't condemn Activision for making good biz moves (and tons-o-cash) here - since obviously more and more players will continue to spend more and more money to play COD & Activision knows this and IMO - they will continue to push the consumer envelope to charge more and more for it - until the see a backlash from the community - which hasn't appeared to happen yet.

Fat-Toni
09-10-2011, 02:31 PM

While I'm not a massive cod multiplayer fan, I did buy mw1 and mw2 for the co-op. So yeah I got it for the multiplayer too, I'm just bothered about the epic story.

I did blackops solo and still found it worth the money, you get some decent quality.

GhsCrysis
09-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. I've been buying $60 console games for like four years now. Was only a matter of time until PC games went to 60.

It isn't like making the game for PC is less work then it is to make it for PS3/Xbox. In fact it's probably more work. So I really have no issue paying this price, and I'm really surprised all games aren't this expensive.

Dorkfire83
09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Just wait a bit! be patient with your games. I pre oredered portal 2 for $26. or so,bought Bioshock 2 for $20 Metro 2033 for $19. No reason to rush out and buy every new game, wait a month the price will drop I promise

Bandtx
09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Just wait a bit! be patient with your games. I pre oredered portal 2 for $26. or so,bought Bioshock 2 for $20 Metro 2033 for $19. No reason to rush out and buy every new game, wait a month the price will drop I promise

Games like COD won't drop prices for a while.. MW2 stayed $60 for over a year after release

MiscNoob
09-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. I've been buying $60 console games for like four years now. Was only a matter of time until PC games went to 60.

Can't you see the difference between paying $60 for Modern Warfare 3 a game that started development just more than a year ago on an engine they licensed from another developer 7 years ago and something like Skyrim which has been in development for almost 4 years and which is built on a bespoke engine made inhouse.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, if you enjoyed the previous games you should definitely buy it, it just seems strange that people are so ready to accept increasing prices for no discernable advancements in quality, it's like people are asking for some of the grim predictions in this thread to actually happen.

GhsCrysis
09-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Can't you see the difference between paying $60 for Modern Warfare 3 a game that started development just more than a year ago on an engine they licensed from another developer 7 years ago and something like Skyrim which has been in development for almost 4 years and which is built on a bespoke engine made inhouse.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, if you enjoyed the previous games you should definitely buy it, it just seems strange that people are so ready to accept increasing prices for no discernable advancements in quality, it's like people are asking for some of the grim predictions in this thread to actually happen.

I completely understand what you're saying. But at the same time, take a game like Shadows of the Damned or even Dead Island, they're completely new IP's selling for $60. Nobody has any idea if it's going to be a good game or not on release. Hell, look at Duke Nukem Forever, that was $60 and was developed for 14 years and it kinda sucked.

Anyway, my point is that if brand new IP's sell for $60, then I fully expect a known franchise to do the same. This isn't going to be a hit or miss game, we pretty much all know what we're getting when we buy it.

Ankle_biter
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
People still buy these games?

finniganz
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
even Dead Island, they're completely new IP's selling for $60.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/91310/ that does not look like $60 dollars to me, in the euro, maybe, idk, but to me it looks like 50.

OmegaXtreme420
09-11-2011, 07:29 PM

LOL what a waste

EliteTemptation
09-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm surprised people actually do continue to buy, MW2 was the last product from me, I did play the online and was thoroughly good at it, probably better then most, and sure I can say that, it's because it was true

But I enjoyed the single player, anyway after the game being so shoddy, I just don't bother, I'll stick to my old-gen games, that's just the way I see it.

salad123
09-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I think Call of Duty is the exception to this rule. People who buy this game are going to buy it regardless of price, its got that loyal of a fanbase.

gotthisfortf2
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
At least some games with 60 dollar price tags aren't just expansions to the last game with little content.(Like Skyrim)

EviLCorsaiR
09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
so there's 20 DLCs, 9 monthly DLCs, extra maps, extra spec ops missions and extra game modes (plus moar)? the deal on this game gets worse all the time, if you don't pay the sub you can expect to pay over 10 per DLC? unless DLC comes in at 99p this game is a ♥♥♥♥ing rip off already.

Which is kind of what makes Elite a good deal, when you look at it this way: you get all the DLCs with it (and you get to keep them once your first year of Elite runs out if you don't renew), so for the $50 or so price of Elite you'll be getting the multiple map packs inevitably released for the game.

That's less than they normally charge per map pack.

Le0
09-12-2011, 01:35 AM
That's less than they normally charge per map pack.

And what they normally charge for map packs is way too much to begin with. Now they've dropped the price for ridiculously overpriced map packs, while still keeping them in overpriced range.
What a deal.

EviLCorsaiR
09-12-2011, 05:44 AM
And what they normally charge for map packs is way too much to begin with. Now they've dropped the price for ridiculously overpriced map packs, while still keeping them in overpriced range.
What a deal.

Oh, I completely agree. But for those who would buy the DLC anyway (which seems to be the majority of the players, according to sales stats for BO) then in that sense it's worth buying. Still, that's simply my opinion.