PDA

View Full Version : Demo opinion...

wolfcolonel
09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Whats this? haven't seen much of this recently in gaming.

Yes thats right, its fun?!

Really impressed with demo, will definitely purchase.

Sgt.Gotee
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah, it's quite fun. A bit on the short side but that's pretty forgivable since we got a demo before launch or even a demo at all. I think the two weapon mechanic with changing modes is really cool. I hope we get to see more from this team after Hard Reset.

Runs incredibly good on my kind of aged system, too.

OptimusHun
09-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Awesome game. The graphics is good, nice music and challenging gameplay.

It's also simple and not over complicate the gameplay. Simple and fun. Plus well optimized. I can run medium-high settings with an old Geforce 8600 GT! I just beat the game on insane too. :)

chris_coma
09-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I'd rather buy painkiller for the third time.

teppo_merilokki
09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Love this game musics were awesome.

wonderpookie
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I just beat the game on insane too. :)

Oooh, gz! I died twice on NORMAL! :mad:

Yes. I r suck gamer :(

Max-Payne
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
It's cool, but 16:10 aspect ratio seems a zoomed 16:9.
Can anyone confirm?

Raziel123
09-07-2011, 12:29 PM
It's okay, will wait for a sale

mtndewme
09-07-2011, 12:31 PM
It's cool, but 16:10 aspect ratio seems a zoomed 16:9.
Can anyone confirm?

Looked fine to me.

Demo was amazing, visuals were absolutely great!

Lord Gremlin
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Hm, after lowering graphics quality a bit got it to run smooth enough (it setting them on max by default? Strange, most games sort of analyze your PC). Not really impressed, won't pay release price.
Also, talk about PC exclusivity... Didn't see anything that can't be done on console right away. Maybe in later levels?

Goser
09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
great demo, runs really smooth.
I hope the full will have many diffent level with much variety.
And I hope i will not be able to finish it under ~15 hours..

burb2500
09-07-2011, 12:43 PM
I hate to be the odd man out on this one, but I won't be buying this right away. Everybody has read the previews so I won't rehash the issues they bring up, but I found both the environment and the enemies generic. I'll read the reviews and and see if some of the later levels bring something new to the table. If not, my money goes to Serious Sam.

Verwandlung
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Awesome demo/ game

-weapons feel and sound right
-enemies are fast and brutal
-controls are perfect
-art style is beautiful
-graphics are top notch
-engine seems very well optimised

The only things I find slightly "annoying" are the large hud and blur while running.

Feels great to play a real pc game after enduring that Dead Island mess and countless other xbox-->pc "ports".

Can't wait for the full game.

Sverd
09-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Looks good but Painkiller remains the best in this category.

bagofbones
09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Definitely old school FPS gameplay in in a shiny lighting, particle, physics candy wrapper. As long as reviews a) point out varied level design and b) varied enemies then I would consider purchasing the full game even at its fairly steep price.

It was fun but it's hard to say how much it reflects the quality of the entire length of the game.

civanT
09-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Definitely impressed. Wasn't sure before, even after watching gameplay videos, but now that I played it, it's on my wishlist.

Also it says 8800GS for min system req. but I was able play the demo on highest setting in 1920x1080 with 8600GTS. If the whole game runs like this, count me impressed more! It looks amazing.

Rambostyrer
09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
not a big shooter fan, but this seems promising, really liked the weapons upgrades, and modes.

dogstar060763
09-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Downloaded demo. Played demo. Insta-Buy. Added to my Steam account, awaiting unlocking.

Rarely does a game grab me by the goolies quite so readily as this little beauty. It's fun - remember that? We used to do that in games. It's also impossibly good-looking and runs very smoothly. Supports the 360 controller, too. Nice.

'Nuff said.

salad123
09-07-2011, 02:16 PM
At first I was disappointed in the lack of modern conventions:charge ai, no crouch, no zoom. But at the end (on normal difficulty) I found myself challenged for the first time in a long time in fps, so it renewed my enthusiasm.

Verwandlung
09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
charge ai

We have only seen a few enemies in the demo so who knows what the full game brings :)

Elenoe
09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
sharp textures, a lot of colors everywhere :) It looks like funny game. Good gameplay. A LOT of electrical traps and a LOT of upgrade points. I played that 15minutes and found like 7 upgrades? And there is like 60 total upgrades? That is pretty high.

I think I will wait for total gameplay length confirmation. 4h could be somehow disappointing for 25€.

edit: did recount, I found 6 upgrade points in demo and there is 42 upgrades. Also it is easy :( I'm not that good. I should not be able complete it on insane without death.

Rattlepiece
09-07-2011, 02:56 PM
It's the first time in many years that I got that feeling in my stomach... that feeling of "♥♥♥♥, this is FUN!" :D

civanT
09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
sharp textures, a lot of colors everywhere :) It looks like funny game. Good gameplay. A LOT of electrical traps and a LOT of upgrade points. I played that 15minutes and found like 7 upgrades? And there is like 60 total upgrades? That is pretty high.

I think I will wait for total gameplay length confirmation. 4h could be somehow disappointing for 25.

edit: did recount, I found 6 upgrade points in demo and there is 42 upgrades. Also it is easy :( I'm not that good. I should not be able complete it on insane without death.

Try it on Insane before talking. I tried to play the demo on Insane and died. A lot.

Or else, you can go buy any other shooter for 59.99 and finish it in five hours. If that's what you want.

AlbertTatlock
09-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Stunningly beautiful graphics with a fantastic moody wet-look palette. The world looks so unique, detailed and crisp.

I haven't finished the demo as it's late (here) and yet I am very very impressed as a PC gamer only. This to me is the best looking and exciting prospect for a simple yet powerful FPS I have seen for years.

If all the other aspects of the game hold up, after the release, then this to me is a no-brainer. It's gorgeous and mucho fun! :)

cluongo
09-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I like this. A simple old-school styled shooter, really reminds me of serious sam with the hordes of enemies and just lay on the trigger. One thing I DID hate though, unlimited ammo. this game doesnt seem like it will be a real challenge, the demo was a slice of cake.

I love the whole cyber-punk theme and this game pulled it off pretty well. I wish there was some more exploration though instead of just outside (maybe there is)

It seems like a simple mindless fun shooter that I will definitely get once I have $30 to throw at it.

Oh also, the horror music has got to go during fighting.

Tempest_Wales
09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Was great! Game ran like a dream on Ultra everything settings! I was very much impressed, it shall be on my definitely buy list.

ErisMarie
09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I definitely plan on buying the game, but I think I will wait until it releases and we know how long it is going to be.

PsYcHo126
09-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Yea, I would also like to know how long it is. Because I really loved the demo! The graphics were awesome, the cyberpunk style, the gameplay was amazing etc.. had much fun :) But I would be disappointed, if its just 4 or 5 hours long.. I don't think so though. But.. if I wait, its getting more expensive. Not that much, but still... didn't the developer said something about the length?

CardinalSIN
09-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I wasn't really all that impressed with the demo. Seemed kinda generic in every aspect. Basically constant enemy rush from random directions, i.e. Serious Sam. The demo was stunning to look at and the gameplay was okay, but definitely will wait for a Steam sale some day in the future.

NC37
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I like this. A simple old-school styled shooter, really reminds me of serious sam with the hordes of enemies and just lay on the trigger. One thing I DID hate though, unlimited ammo. this game doesnt seem like it will be a real challenge, the demo was a slice of cake.

I love the whole cyber-punk theme and this game pulled it off pretty well. I wish there was some more exploration though instead of just outside (maybe there is)

It seems like a simple mindless fun shooter that I will definitely get once I have $30 to throw at it.

Oh also, the horror music has got to go during fighting.

Umm...I dunno what you were playing but there isn't unlimited ammo. Maybe you did it in easy mode?

I am definitely buying this now. Great game visually and I liked some of the weapon options a lot. I didn't like how to switch them tho. Using the number keys felt cumbersome. Much rather have the switching on the scroll wheel and use the Q & E to change between the two sets.

Tempest_Wales
09-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Umm...I dunno what you were playing but there isn't unlimited ammo. Maybe you did it in easy mode?

I am definitely buying this now. Great game visually and I liked some of the weapon options a lot. I didn't like how to switch them tho. Using the number keys felt cumbersome. Much rather have the switching on the scroll wheel and use the Q & E to change between the two sets.

The ammo hits zero and will regen back upto 50 until you find more ammo. So it means you're never without a working weapon but wont be able to spam things like grenades.

Rattlepiece
09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I wasn't really all that impressed with the demo. Seemed kinda generic in every aspect. Basically constant enemy rush from random directions, i.e. Serious Sam. The demo was stunning to look at and the gameplay was okay, but definitely will wait for a Steam sale some day in the future.

What else would you like to see in the game then?

madpistol
09-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I finished the demo, and I must say that there have been no games in the last 2 years have made me grin like a school girl.

You win. TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Hi2u! Tw1TcH
09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
My thoughts on the demo:

It's short.

Seems to made for the PC, I like that. FOV is fine, no mouse accel, normal graphics options, every need pretty much accounted for. The game looks decent, but is very much on the blocky side. There is too much trash lying around everywhere and the environmental explosions feel hamfisted as all hell. Also, it is a generally good looking game, and for me atleast, runs at a good framerate relative to the high/ultra settings.

There is no duck, thats fine though, there is no duck in Painkiller, so I'm leaning towards it being Painkiller-esque. Although there is no bunnyhopping and only some funky sprinting that you can't shoot while running (this same sprinting is in NecroVision if anyones familiar with that game). To me this means that everything you do while shooting (which is the important stuff) is slow. Bear in mind, this is not to mean that the enemies move slow or are in small numbers, just that you move slow during battles. Maybe its just me but I miss shooters that actually allow you to shoot while running, or at the very least moving faster than default speed. Heck, even Doom 3 allows you to shoot while sprinting.

The gun mechanisms/mode-switching is clever, well executed. The shooting feels solid, the guns have a strong feel to them. Although for me it is somewhat unsatisfying because you move slow. I just get the feeling that it would be a thousand times more fun if you could move faster while shooting and have larger environments.

The secrets are silly. Blow up wall, enter a room, you find a secret. Really? /sigh

Halfway decent for a budget priced shooter. Nothing revolutionary, nothing that would qualify for more than a playthrough or two. Painkiller is better, I think I may have more fun on a 10th playthrough of Trauma.

TwwIX
09-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I love the art direction and the gun play but the menu and weapon mode indicators need to be addressed before i can purchase it.

CardinalSIN
09-07-2011, 08:17 PM
What else would you like to see in the game then?

The demo doesn't reveal enough, IMO. I guess I didn't get a strong enough feel of the game. I'd like the enemy units to have more personality than "random robot #4". Also the game doesn't appear to have much of a story, although that is standard in this type of shooter. Maybe I'm asking for too much for the price. Most of the reaction I've read here is glowing, which means this just may not be my cup of tea.

Cocacola123
09-07-2011, 08:24 PM
I love it but there are some things that concern me to get the full version

Changing FOV
Moddable?
Does it come with TF2 promos? (LOL just kidding X))
Wish I could move faster and bhop.

KefkaticFanatic
09-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I like it a lot. Fun and interesting shooter. Can't spend much now but I'll definitely pick it up when it's on a weekly or holiday sale.

hoilst
09-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Does it come with TF2 promos? (LOL just kidding X))

FREE CYBER-HATS FOR ALL!!!

NorthernKingdom
09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
It's the successor to Painkiller. It's a awesome 90's FPS with visuals that make Deus Ex look like complete turd especially since they essentially have the same cyberpunk/futuristic setting.

NKC42
09-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Weapon sounds lack a bit of punch, the shotgun needs to have it's spread halved, explosions look too Doom 3-ish. The FoV, while good enough, doesn't seem to be directly configurable. Can't think of much else to fault with the demo at the moment.

RiotControl
09-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I wasn't very impressed by what very little there was here to judge. The combat just wasn't very exciting and much like how I found finding unique ways to kill enemies in Bulletstorm to not be entertaining, I don't really find using the environment to kill enemies entertaining here either. I don't know, I just don't think there was enough here to get a good feel for the game and the two enemies you fought weren't so fun to fight. I'll have to wait and see more of the game for myself from reviews and videos after the game comes out. Though to be honest, I wasn't impressed by watching the demo when it was released to games media earlier either.

uma plata
09-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Was fun, looked & ran great, thoroughly enjoyed it

hellerphant
09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Definitely old school FPS gameplay in in a shiny lighting, particle, physics candy wrapper. As long as reviews a) point out varied level design and b) varied enemies then I would consider purchasing the full game even at its fairly steep price.

It was fun but it's hard to say how much it reflects the quality of the entire length of the game.

$30 is hardly a steep price for a game of this quality - then again I come from Australia where they charge $110 for a new release game....

Personally I love it and the whole attitude the devs have about the media too. I mean announcing it only 3 months ago and already be at release means no time for bull♥♥♥♥ like we're seeing with BF3 and CoD right now.

On the gameplay front I think it's a lot of fun and I hope FWH get some more funding and can make a bigger scope game in the future :D

BionicAir
09-07-2011, 10:55 PM
. It was fun but it's hard to say how much it reflects the quality of the entire length of the game.

im sure it'll be longer than alot of other short ♥♥♥ games that keep coming out. developers will throw out numbers,like this game has 10-12 hours of campaign..yet people beat it in like half that..like Space Marine. atleast HR isnt a full priced game,so even if it is like 8 hours,it'll still top the length of most shooters that come out.

BionicAir
09-07-2011, 10:58 PM
I didn't like how to switch them tho. Using the number keys felt cumbersome. Much rather have the switching on the scroll wheel and use the Q & E to change between the two sets.

you mean switching between the different firing modes of the guns? the mouse wheel was changing them for me,and the normal Q and E between the 2 guns. i found it really easy to switch between modes,and guns..though i'd constantly forget which gun was Q,and which was E..lol

Emox
09-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Fun game, i miss these type of shooters i love the blade runner atmosphere aswell. Def buying.

Aemony
09-08-2011, 03:40 AM
2560x1440, max in everything + MLAA, 60 FPS most of the time, never beneath 40 in massive battles.

I like what I saw from the demo, it definitely looked promising. Though I assume I need to play at a higher difficulty than Normal because that was really a walk in the park...

divine_skills
09-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Game ran really well and looked good at the same time. Haven't played oldschool FPS's like these in a long time and I had fun. "Hard" was just hard enough for me, took me a few tries with the demo ending battle. Hopefully it'll have mod support.

Going to buy it when it hits ~15 euros.

cuevitas
09-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I hate to be the odd man out on this one, but I won't be buying this right away. Everybody has read the previews so I won't rehash the issues they bring up, but I found both the environment and the enemies generic. I'll read the reviews and and see if some of the later levels bring something new to the table. If not, my money goes to Serious Sam.

Buy both !!

Elenoe
09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Try it on Insane before talking. I tried to play the demo on Insane and died. A lot.

Or else, you can go buy any other shooter for 59.99 and finish it in five hours. If that's what you want.

Oh, my english has to be really bad

By Also it is easy I'm not that good. I should not be able complete it on insane without death.
I MEAN I PLAYED IT ON INSANE WITHOUT DEATH

Yaldabaoth
09-08-2011, 12:38 PM
The game is so noticeably Painkiller that, without having played more than the Painkiller demo in 2004, I instantly recognized that the same people worked on it

I did not like Painkiller

or Steve Blum

dimi_gr
09-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm very impressed by the demo. I don't like, I love it. It's awesome! I'm not sure but this game also has a feeling of film noir?!? (or at least I would love it to have since I think it would fit perfectly). The demo was way too short but perfect.

Piez
09-08-2011, 01:22 PM
This game looks promising from the demo, i especially liked the art style.

scubs
09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
got to love the menus.. all video options and no mouse acceleration.. just needs FOV option and it will be perfect (hoping this will be in the full game).

runs very smooth, and has a built-in benchmark on a DEMO.. this is how a PC game should be made..

Corvi
09-08-2011, 05:54 PM
its really sad they didnt add multiplayer. im not talking about some fancy stuff, just deathmatch. demo was good, i will most likely get this game sooner or later, but damn, such a missed opportunity here.

oliathsg
09-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Amazing game. Pre-ordered right after playing that.
RELEASE IT NOW DAMMIT!!

ChaotixDemon
09-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Very good! I recommend here to see! You need!SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

PsYcHo126
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
its really sad they didnt add multiplayer. im not talking about some fancy stuff, just deathmatch. demo was good, i will most likely get this game sooner or later, but damn, such a missed opportunity here.

Hm.. I think if it sells good, they might add it :P Or if they give us modding tools, some modders would make it. Im happy that they are concentrating on SP. But MP would be very cool in this game I think :)

This could be the next Quake 3 Arena for MP & Lans :D

cepwin
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Yes, I think what really got me was the art style....it is a gorgeous game. A little frustrating (I died a number of times on normal) and combined with the fact I'm committed to RO HoS and NHL 12 on the 13th I'll probably wait but I do want to get it eventually as I want to support this team.

EC-
09-08-2011, 06:41 PM
It is quite the enjoyable shooter. I bought it, however, for the PC exclusivity and early availability of a demo. These publishing ideals need to come back, so I will support them every time.

sethxdeath
09-08-2011, 06:41 PM
As for Hard Reset, I love it. I was convinced I'd like it and bought it before trying the demo, though. ;)

You guys expect too much from game companies. They're run by humans and the whole software industry is just starting to mature. If you want more diversity in what's available to play, you need to support developers who are willing to do what these are doing.

As for Dead Island, I pre-ordered it, but I wasn't bothered by the issues. It's to be expected, and poor releases are usually not the fault of the developers, it's the management and the resources available. More than likely, the accidental upload of the game to Steam was something that someone lost their job over, but is it really that one person's fault? Why wasn't the package tested before it was deployed? Incidents like this can be avoided, but what happened was more than likely the result of people stretched too thin to think straight. Trust me, it happens when the demand is high, the promises are huge, the expectations even larger, not to mention the risk for accidents and bugs exponentially grows with the human factor. If you think you can do better, why aren't you the one making the games? And if you are, why are you complaining about what you more than likely already know about how software development goes?

Be happy that the money you spent went to something that will be worth playing at some point, because if you didn't think it wasn't worth risking disappointed and some cash against everything you've come to know about the games industry, you wouldn't have bought it unless you're stupid, right? :o

flarp
09-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I enjoyed the demo as well, however i have one issue.

is there a way to increase the FOV? It's really hurting my eyes

F2Pelerin118
09-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Awesome game, I really enjoyed the Demo. Looks good, sounds good and is really fun to play. It runs amazingly well too, I got an avg FPS of 84 @ Ultra settings on the Benchmark.

+ The upgrade HUD is the coolest thing I've seen in a while, definitely glad I pre-purchased.

Sliph
09-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Just beat demo on insane mode and im ♥♥♥♥ing sold! This game is so worth the money. I've had more fun with this demo than i have had with some complete games that i paid double for.

aforumtotalkon1
09-08-2011, 10:30 PM
There's someone who's saying he finished the game in ~4 hours on normal difficulty. He's a reviewer who got an early copy or something. A little worried.

netnerd85
09-08-2011, 10:37 PM
There's someone who's saying he finished the game in ~4 hours on normal difficulty. He's a reviewer who got an early copy or something. A little worried.
Source?

aforumtotalkon1
09-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Source?

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=2838861&postcount=41

Monkeydrummer
09-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I have an incredibly horrible memory and even I remember that the upgrade stuff was called N.A.N.O. (Wasn't it? lol) and I only played the demo once. This guy beat the whole game and calls it upgrade juice?

I guess he works for Game Informer, which I don't know anything about. I'm definitely not saying he's not legit, but that seems kind of silly to play a game and not know something like that and to kind of complain about how it's all dark and neon like Bladerunner. That's my favorite aspect.

Maybe this guy just doesn't like cyberpunk / bladerunner type stuff and burned through it. I have 23 minutes clocked just on the demo from looking for the N.A.N.O. to upgrade and I feel like I probably missed some things just in that time. Think I'm about to play the demo again, too...

Piez
09-08-2011, 11:31 PM
First Review. (http://thegamefanatics.com/video-game-review/hard-reset/)

aforumtotalkon1
09-09-2011, 12:40 AM
First Review. (http://thegamefanatics.com/video-game-review/hard-reset/)

Pretty good review, but does confirm a minimum of a 4 hours to complete the campaign.

sethxdeath
09-09-2011, 06:43 AM
~Four hours is perfect for the price. I have way too many games that will take 40-60 hours to finish as it is! I'll be much more likely to play a four hour game more than once than I will a game that takes 20 or more. :)

Bozebo
09-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Game was pure boss.

Also, it's insanely well optimised - I maxed it (except I used MLAA) on my weak ♥♥♥ laptop. I can't even max MW on this thing an BC2 barely runs on minimum.

I want to see more from this developer!

MADDOGGE
09-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Loved the demo. Would have been an immediate preorder but since they decided to slum it and go with a casual checkpoint only save system in a old school shooter game; instead of allowing for a manual or quicksave as well, I will not reward them with a preorder. I will be waiting on a $5 sale. Just about any FPS/TPS with with a SP demo I enjoy and at least a manual save even if there is no QS is an easy buy for me and many many others who hate others telling us where to save and when.

mayh3m
09-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Played the demo through a couple times. I enjoyed it. Forgot how much fun a classic shooter is. The game is wish listed and will most likely by my next Steam purchase.

soviet_sharkey
09-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Its fun with fantastic graphics but the lack of quicksave and bhop really annoy me
also demo didn't have that many enemies hopefully more in full

WhiteHell
09-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Whats this? haven't seen much of this recently in gaming.

Yes thats right, its fun?!

Really impressed with demo, will definitely purchase.

I wish I could have try the mp demo.

HorseRotorvator
09-10-2011, 01:45 AM
It was fun but I found the environments often ill-suited to the gameplay.

Neat work with the guns and upgrade systems though.

Bozebo
09-10-2011, 09:08 AM
I found the environments often ill-suited to the gameplay.

I can see what you mean. I was expecing something a bit like deus ex.

I don't think the studio has the resources to produce a tense, story driven environemnt that fits in with the gameplay well. Remember the Chicago level of perfect dark? Something like that would be good but the whole focus of the gameplay would be very different from the action-driven experience they have gone for.

Elenoe
09-10-2011, 09:44 AM
I wish I could have try the mp demo.
just to be sure, there will be no MP in Hard Reset...

netnerd85
09-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Remember the Chicago level of perfect dark? Something like that would be good but the whole focus of the gameplay would be very different from the action-driven experience they have gone for.

I always felt that level was out of place in Perfect Dark, great level though. I have to play Perfect Dark again but the N64 copy was always so damn blurry :( Perfect Dark had so many great gameplay features *sigh*

lucky88shp
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I just finished the demo, and I like it! Its a great old school shooter, with great action, good graphics and challenging AI especially if u play on HARD or INSANE. I love the menu music, it has the original 'Unreal' feel to it! The game plays great and it really shows that this was developed solely for PC! I will buy it!