PDA

View Full Version : High In-game Ping

Paladork
09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
So I bought Bad Company 2 a few months ago and for the longest time it ran smooth as butter, but then out of the blue, it started acting up. When I go to my server browser and look for games the average ping for most servers is about 100, for North American servers it is usually under 50.

Anyways, I join these games expecting to have a relatively modest ping since my internet is pretty average, and for the previous months I had no issues whatsoever, but now all of a sudden any game I join I have 300+ ping.

I've tried joining a multitude of different servers, trying to run the game at a friends house, tried a number of tweaks and fixes I've seen posted previously to no avail.

I contacted EA customer support and their bright idea was switching the version from steam to their own service to run the game, which surprise surprise did not work.

So I come to you now wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue or have had this issue in the past and potentially have a fix that worked for you or know that works?

tl;dr high in game ping for no reason after months of unhindered play, any ideas?

Twombly
09-07-2011, 05:29 PM
What are your system specifications?

The disparity between server browser ping and in game ping suggests to me that your hardware isn't holding its weight. I would probably try lowering your settings to the lowest and see if that helps at all.

Check temps while playing, too. Stuff like that.

Paladork
09-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I'll just give you a brief rundown of what I've got

Win 7 Pro 64bit
Nvidia GEforce GTS 450
6 gigs of ddr2 ram
Intel Core 2 duo E8400

Pretty sure I hit all the important bits, but the confusing part to me and the thing that makes me speculate that it isn't the hardware is none of it has changed since I bought the game and I was able to run it fine previously.

About the only thing that changed was I stopped playing for about a week and when I started playing again the game began to act up

Twombly
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I'll just give you a brief rundown of what I've got

Win 7 Pro 64bit
Nvidia GEforce GTS 450
6 gigs of ddr2 ram
Intel Core 2 duo E8400

Pretty sure I hit all the important bits, but the confusing part to me and the thing that makes me speculate that it isn't the hardware is none of it has changed since I bought the game and I was able to run it fine previously.

About the only thing that changed was I stopped playing for about a week and when I started playing again the game began to act up

Hardware naturally degrades over time. Try lowering all of your settings and see if that helps.

Paladork
09-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Forgot to mention, I did try that as well to see if that was the issue, lowered everything to the lowest setting possible to no avail. Otherwise all my other games and the like that I run still work at their previous settings with no issue, the only one that I am having issues with is Bad Company 2.

For instance, I can run WoW at max settings and be on during heavy pop hours and run at an average of 40ms, so like I previously said, I'm quite sure it isn't my computer or connection otherwise theoretically I should be seeing some sort of decrease in performance across the board rather than Bad Company 2 multiplayer alone.

I do appreciate the suggestions and advice though, just wish I could get to the root of the problem. :/

Twombly
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Watch your temps during the game, though if you've tried lowering your settings and it didn't help I don't know if that's the issue. Can't hurt to check, though.

Verify integrity of your game cache, it could be something wrong there. Although admittedly if you've installed it through Origin, you probably have a fresh copy of the game. Again, can't hurt to try.

x7string420x
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Hardware naturally degrades over time. Try lowering all of your settings and see if that helps.

lol what? I could see MAYBE a frame or 2 per second after like a YEAR. and that's MAYBE.

Only time I've had noticable performace issues from usage was when my heat sink was totally caked with cat hair.

a quick vaccuming and my 5 year old machine ran just like it did when it was brand spanking new.

Could it have been a driver update maybe?

Sorry but I'm not buying this "naturally degrades over time". Maybe a tiny tiny bit, but nothing that would be game changing.

On that note... do you have pets? do you smoke? I do. Open your case and make sure it not caked with dust and pet dander.

Twice I have bought new ram, reinstalled windows thinking I had hardware failure and all it was was cat hair stuck in the heat sinks. I disassembled my GPU cooler and CPU coolers and got all the crap out and my machine ran like brand new.

Twombly
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
lol what? I could see MAYBE a frame or 2 per second after like a YEAR. and that's MAYBE.

It's a fact that it happens; when it happens depends on the specific hardware, how it was manufactured, and whether it has any defects.

Admittedly in the normal course of a non-defective electronic it's generally not a quick decline, but it's not like stuff doesn't just fry out of nowhere, or lose a lot of its capabilities for no apparent reason.

Paladork
09-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I cleaned and dusted it not more than a week ago so shouldn't be anything on those fronts, and as for temperature issues, I just tested it a few moments ago and temps were all normal, nothing that would be a cause for alarm in least. As for any sort of hardware failure, most of my hardware is less than a year old and the processer is only 3 months old, so I'm quite positive it isn't a hardware issue.

I did update drivers while I took my break from playing the game, but that was one of the first things I was concerned about and re-installed them to no avail. I even checked the nvidia forums to see if there was any mention of bugs with the most current driver, but there aren't any that would affect me.

My only conclusion is something either EA did or something with punkbuster perhaps? I tried manually updating punkbuster, but that yielded no results as well.

Twombly
09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Roll back to previous drivers, don't reinstall the same ones you had.

NorthernKingdom
09-07-2011, 09:29 PM

True story. My silicon and rare metals went bad after it's expiration date and I had to toss out my computer box because it became moldy.

:(

*I'm being facetious. This is easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the internet so far. Congratulations on that achievement bro.