PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Flying Wild Hog!! Restores Faith in Future of PC Gaming

LordGurciullo
09-09-2011, 02:06 AM
As a serious mouse and keyboard pc gamer who lives for fps.... life has been rather dull.

Almost every game these days is tailored to completely casual, multiplayer fiending, zero challenge wanting, auto aim loving, controller using kids on weak console machines.. apparently Flying Wild Hog realized it was time for a ..

Hard Reset

If you care about real gaming. Mouse and keyboard gaming. Pc gaming. Purchase this at once. While it's true that for us pc guys this is a good couple months with this, ro2, ss3, and nuclear dawn, we need to show these smaller devs that the hardcore m/k pc guys are still here; and here to stay!

I already knew I was buying it the moment I heard of its inception, the demo was just even more of a kick to the head of how awesome the final product is.

Guess what, I actually died. I'm sure it won't be as difficult as I want it to be, *because the game does still support a controller*, but it will still be as damn good as we can get in 2011!

I like the fact that apparently you can use a controller if you want to, but at the same time it is obviously built for serious gamers with mouse and keyboard. I find that monstrously refreshing. This should be a note to all devs when they port or build for pc - that being able to support the serious m/k guys and the casual controller people can go hand in hand without ruining either/or, and every gamer can be satisfied(Like SS first and second encounter). The combat and style of the game are extremely old school, which is fantastic, as new school is usually synonymous with lack of gameplay/challenge and overall crap.

Little things like being able to toggle off that annoying arrow at the top of the screen really make me smile, and toggle off the hints. I'd like to see a way to remove the hud entirely, and even the gun model... but those are things that would just add to the game, and they not being their doesn't really subtract.
Game wise, purchasing secondary attacks - priceless.

My only gripe with the game is the sprint system.
There is nothing old school about it. In fact, its surprisingly new school. It is on a horrible toggle and you can't move freely(left to right) while in it. This came as quite a shock to me. I don't at all understand how sprinting in fps has gone from what it used to be, to the current form it now lives in. There is no question in my mind that when it comes to fun/challenge/gameplay the superior form/oldschool style of sprint should be a SPEED MODIFIER that you HOLD to activate. I really miss that aspect of fps. I guess its yet another thing the controller has ruined.

I would love to see a toggle sprint option to turn OFF, and more freedom of movement in sprint.

Honestly, this is the only issue I could see with this game, but believe me you, it won't stop me from buying it immediately.

WE NEED GAMES LIKE THIS. WE NEED DEVS LIKE THIS.

WE NEED FLYING WILD HOGS!

aforumtotalkon1
09-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Agreed, the sprinting sucks. But it's definitely a nice game overall.

GamersAbyss
09-09-2011, 04:47 AM
As a PC gamer for 20+ years and enthusiast I was in love when I heard of this game. I pre-ordered it yesterday after my first completion of the demo (also pre-ordered RO2). This game feels very natural with mouse/keyboard and that's so refreshing. I exclusively use gaming mice/gaming keyboards, once you're used to them, you never want to use anything else (versus basic m/kb, I detest gamepads, but to each their own, and this game does allow them). I love the game being single player, first person, cyberpunk- I loved the interview I read a while back where they just didn't hold back!, it was great, all my PC gal/guy-pals and I all felt the same, like they had read our minds and it's great when you and the devs are so like minded about a game and have such a similar view of things. I eagerly await the 4 days until the full game releases, RO2 releases same day if I'm not mistaking, but I can tell you now, I'll be occupied with Hard Reset! Thanks Flying Wild Hog for the demo, aren't enough demos these days.

P.S. Demo includes a benchmark.

LordGurciullo
09-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Yup. PC / M/K For life!

DestructY
09-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Moar Flying Wild Hogs please :D

gandalf_ringed
09-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Hard Reset is some of the most fun I've had in a long time with a fps on the pc. I really love the transforming weapons. :D

Bozebo
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I basically feel exactly the same way as the OP.

Not to say there is anything wrong with controllers though :P They just have different uses. Difficult FPSs can be done with a controller if you put the sensitivity up to max (they are analogue after all), its just that console games default to INSANELY low sensitivity and now all those noobs are used to it that low - it started with Halo, because the default sens in TS1 was a lot higher... but anyway... Yeah, to get cod4 done on Vet or Halo done on legendary on a console its nearly impossible with the default sensitivity. Of course a mouse is always better for shooters though.

I think the sprint works the way it does for balance/difficulty reasons, but if I was to make an FPS I would design it the old school way and just ramp up the difficulty in response to that aspect.

soviet_sharkey
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I will buy at some point when reviews are out but no bhop (and I thought PK devs where helping :() and no quicksave annoyed me as well as not many enemies (demo only I hope)
great graphics fun shooting intresting enviroments and weapon system and great PK style atmosphere though

Steakface
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, it's great to see some PC love. I have nothing against controllers, though. Of course as a predominantly PC gamer I love the precision of the m+k, but there is a lot to be said for kicking back on the couch, putting my feet up and enjoying some laid back gaming after a hard day's work. Games tailored for gamepads definitely hold an important place in my library, but that doesn't change the fact that I am very glad to see Hard Reset.

Yeah the sprinting isn't what I imagined, but it's effective in getting out of the way of charging robots, re-positioning yourself, and opening fire again. I don't really mind it.

If the shear PC-centric nature of the game wasn't enough, it's cyberpunk: my most favorite of all dorky fantasy settings. There are so many reasons to buy this game. Even though I'm not as huge of an FPS fan these days as I once was... though that may be because there just aren't enough PC sci-fi shooters like this anymore... I still fire them up now and again, and there's plenty to like about Hard Reset.

Schisis
09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Hello everyone. Here are some dev console commands that may make some of you very happy.
(To access the developer console, Ctrl + ~).

r_draw_hud :draws HUD
r_draw_weapon :draws weapon
r_fov :vertical FOV
r_show_fps :displays FPS in top right corner of screen
bind <key> "" :binds the specified key to a command
save :saves game

bind f5 "save" :makes the F5 key a 'quicksave' (F9 loads)

----------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps some of you out.

ElfShotTheFood
09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Exploding barrels, simplistic puzzles, and lots of stupid enemies are what PC gamers like.

Steakface
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Exploding barrels, simplistic puzzles, and lots of stupid enemies are what PC gamers like.

There's a lot to be said for an interface that properly utilizes your peripheral of choice.

Chibito
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Eh, I'm pretty sure much of the OP's praise applies to games like Red Orchestra 2 (and Serious Sam? Fingers crossed!) as well, which has none of those. Even without using the easy target to go for, CoD, I think Hard Reset is certainly an improvement on many levels compared to recent FPS releases (which also mostly have stupid enemies and exploding barrels, though not as many). You also have to keep in mind that while it's nothing revolutionary, it's not trying to be either. Considering the price tag I think the industry certainly has room for games like this.

Raziel123
09-09-2011, 04:04 PM
It might tick some boxes but it's not good either way.

raptorgamer309
09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
For all u devs that make lousy console ports.
This is how a PC GAME should be

skelter192
09-09-2011, 08:49 PM
For all u devs that make lousy console ports.
This is how a PC GAME should be

Honeslt the polish in general seem to love PC gaming and I have to thank them for that.

Witcher 2 and now Hard Reset just awesome.

bagofbones
09-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Agreed, the sprinting sucks. But it's definitely a nice game overall.

changing between weapons with the "q" and "e" keyboard keys is worse. So slow and unresponsive in the heat of a battle. Possibly a game killer for me.

Steakface
09-10-2011, 10:23 AM
changing between weapons with the "q" and "e" keyboard keys is worse. So slow and unresponsive in the heat of a battle. Possibly a game killer for me.

It's not as fast as Unreal Tournament or Serious Sam, but I didn't think it was slow enough to break the game. Not really sure what the weapon mode 1-5 keys do, either. The game's not perfect (it's still a smaller indie title, remember), but there are too many reasons to buy it. I never ran out of ammo in the demo and to me the game seems to be geared more towards just focusing on one at a time rather than switching back and forth between several different weapons depending on the situation, which I don't mind at all because the guns seem interesting enough.

ShTuPm
09-10-2011, 10:41 AM
I bought the game to support the devs after playing the demo. It looks nice, it's a pure PC game (sure hope that they will disable that stupid blur when sprinting AND the animated menu. It's amazing but it's slow and annoying in a long run). Nice visuals, nice gameplay and performance.

I hope this game will be good. It's certainly a good start for the company.

LordGurciullo
09-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Awesome Console commands. If a game is extremely challenging (ss first encounter/second) sometimes it is very nice to remove the weapon/hud and just play your heart out.

Btw, I don't have an issue inherently with controllers. I have an issue with how EVERY SINGLE GAME in the world is built with them in mind, including fps. There aren't any serious fps games out there that are built to require the precision of the mouse and the versatility/button use of the keyboard, but Hard Reset and SS3 should be. Controllers are great for "kicking back on a couch", personally I'd rather watch a movie then play a game this way. It's just nice to see a game that appears devoted to it, because there are almost none left.

Remember when they built casual games and console games that use controller.... and they were TOTALLY SEPARATE from pc games that use mouse and keyboard.... But now EVERY game including pc only is made to use(or best case scenario only Support) the controller.

But every game I see that's coming soon that says "controller enabled" usually means 90 percent chance the m/k got screwed some way, even if that way is basic game development to accomodate a controller. And virtually ALL of them are "controller enabled".

In any event - Thank the gods of gaming for Hard Reset.

cloropad
09-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Totally agree. Thank you Wild Hog! It's very refreshing to get a PC minded game. I never preoreder games but I did on this one. I'm very excited about this game. Thanks FWH!

Jumpy-B-L
09-10-2011, 07:22 PM
(sure hope that they will disable that stupid blur when sprinting AND the animated menu. It's amazing but it's slow and annoying in a long run).

I think it would be a good idea to have the animated menu active on the first run only, that or make it much, much faster.

netnerd85
09-10-2011, 07:26 PM

You'll get use to it. It's just different to every other game. Play the demo a couple of times.

TheMysterD
09-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Just tried the Demo - holy smokes, it's as if they moved Painkiller to a cyberpunk setting.

Graphics are gorgeous [1920x1080 on Ultra] on my my PC [i7 950, 8 GB RAM, GF 560 Ti, Win 7] and gameplay feels like Painkiller in a cyberpunk setting.

Do you like Painkiller?
Do you like cyberpunk settings?
Then you need to try this Demo. :)

arizonachris
09-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Would be nice if the scroll wheel would change weapons. I can get used to q and e tho.

This game is just fun! Haven't had so much just outright shoot 'em up fun since SS First Encounter HD. Environment reminds me of that movie "Blade Runner". Was an instant pre0order for me. Playing the demo again in a few minutes! :D

mesaone
09-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Would be nice if the scroll wheel would change weapons. I can get used to q and e tho.

Scroll wheel changes modes, so in essence it does change weapons. Maybe bind MOUSE3 (press down on wheel) to switch between weapons, and keep scroll up/down to switch modes.

My one gripe is that when you scroll through modes, it is not continuous like 1-2-3-4-1-2-3. you would have to scroll back down to get back to 1