PDA

View Full Version : Official announcement about GAME LENGTH

Hashmallum
09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok let me make some things clear.

You can finish Quake in 11 minutes.
You can finish Super Mario in less than 10 minutes.
You can finish Doom in less than 30 minutes.

They are still good games.

You can't finish Call Of Duty in less time than the developers wanted because it's heavily scripted, with all the cutscenes, NPC preventing you from going somewhere etc.

Hard Reset was designed to be an oldschool game.

As far as I think - reviewers played the game on Easy, just to finish it as soon as possible.

If you will play Hard Reset on 'Easy' and will run all the time, just to complete objectives, it's possible to finish the game in 4 hours. But no one has finished the game on difficulty level normal while playing it for the first time in less than 7 hours.
And trust me, we checked it at least on 40 people.
I think that reviewers shouldn't be speedrunning the game - but it's their chocie.

End of announcement :)

PsYcHo126
09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
First of all: Thanks for the announcement!
And yea, most reviewers are playing games on easy. Btw... how much minutes/hours longer does it take to play it on Hard / Insane? Just.. if you know :P

Hashmallum
09-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Depends :)
Probably 2-3 hours more than on normal difficulty. But it depends on the person - your skill and how well you know the game. Some of the people had a problem finishing the game on normal within 12 hours.

darkpuppy
09-10-2011, 12:43 PM
yeah, I played it at Normal. Easy at first, just to see, then Normal.

F2Pelerin118
09-10-2011, 07:25 PM
It doesn't bother me how long the game is, really - I'm more interested in how fun the experience is and from the Demo I can say I'll definitely have a good time playing.

I think I'll play it through on Normal first, then when I feel like a pro I'll push it up to Hard :D

Only a few days to go now, I'm really excited.

(Also, It's cool too see you guys here on the forums.)

iscariahkrieg
09-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Personal experience : STEAM says i've played for 5 hours, but the ingame profile reasume shows me i've played for about 4 hours. and i've beaten the game on Normal, with a lot of deaths indeed.
proof : http://i.imgur.com/uRBs3.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/GEwf5.jpg

ps: i've played this for a review, of course :)

Schisis
09-11-2011, 04:14 PM
This is so awesome. I will seriously be whoring this game out to as many people as I can solely because of the developer and community interaction. (plus the game is awesome!!!)

PsYcHo126
09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Personal experience : STEAM says i've played for 5 hours, but the ingame profile reasume shows me i've played for about 4 hours. and i've beaten the game on Normal, with a lot of deaths indeed.

That again worries me :/

Iconoclast XVII
09-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Never trust people on the internet, because, for all you know, he could be full of it.

aaronmoi
09-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Portal 2 can be finished in 4 hours. And its initial cost was nearly twice of that of Hard Reset.

you dont see anyone complaining there

Iconoclast XVII
09-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Portal 2 can be finished in 4 hours. And its initial cost was nearly twice of that of Hard Reset.

Homefront... well... I dunno anyone who spent more than 4 hours on that game... Devs said 8-10 (I think), but 6 if you're "really good". This game, well, I don't really care about the length. I'm happy enough supporting a company that still cares about the PC, since those are rare now days...

BoomSlang
09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Homefront... well... I dunno anyone who spent more than 4 hours on that game... Devs said 8-10 (I think), but 6 if you're "really good". This game, well, I don't really care about the length. I'm happy enough supporting a company that still cares about the PC, since those are rare now days...

Yeah, that was a total lie. I remember that. A lot people said not to worry about it because the MP will add hundreds of hours, but that doesn't magically make the blatant lie from the devs vanish into thin air.

fuv
09-12-2011, 02:26 AM
That again worries me :/

It certainly explains most game reviews.

MakkyD
09-12-2011, 03:37 AM
I'm honestly not bothered that with certain play-styles, you can complete the game on normal in 4 hours. I've completed the demo several times on insane, and i love it. Can't wait till the release.

Me2nice
09-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Anymore, you mean. ;)

iscariahkrieg
09-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Portal 2 has multiplayer :)
Hard Reset is a pretty enjoyable game, but it's really short. Sure, you can play it several times at harder difficulties or maybe go for the 100% (achivements, scores, etc), but if you play the "main storyline" the game ends in 4 hours.

"Never trust people on the internet, because, for all you know, he could be full of it."

LOL. I've brought screenshot, what else do you need?

Anyway, the game is short and the plot is... nonsense, but the gameplay is pretty cool.

oliathsg
09-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Most people here have logged more than four hours in the demo!!

You must have run past most the enemies to have done it in that time.

I'm pretty confident that I will take at least 6 hours on my first playthrough and then continue to play on harder settings just like I did with the demo.

Some people - for whatever reason - like to rush games and then post about how quickly they finished them.

iscariahkrieg
09-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Ok, believe what you want :)
Just one final thing; I don't like playing game in "rush-mode". I've tried to find NANO components, secrets and so on. You simply cannot rush enemies because the game is heavily scripted and you are forced to kill them all before advancing. So, if you need to justify your pre-order or enthusiasm about the game you can happily think I've rushed / I've photoshopped the image / I've done whatever you want. I came here just to say : for me this game lasted 4 hours. You will find out how much time does take the "main story" to be completed for yourself :)

One more final tip: games without quicksave/quickload generally lasts longer. Hard Reset does have only checkpoints. Conclusions to you.

emperorcleon
09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
The game is $30. We should not expect a triple A one rails shooters that expand their game length through cutscenes and scripted non playable moments.

Definitely will pick this up. Play this game when you want to shoot stuff

LoboFHmod
09-12-2011, 09:50 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-blog-entry

Some attention w. in the videogames press have destroyed awesome games. Dear iscariahkrieg, normal mode is for little lambs, stop begging your 15 minutes of fame.

In any case is 25 euros, Modern Fanfare is 60, for 5 hours of In-a -gadda-da-vida.

iscariahkrieg
09-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Lol, I don't care the FAME. Simply an official statement says the game on normal lasts 7 hours, I came here to say my opinion about. Stop crying like babies; i've not said the game is awful, i've not said the game is not worth it, just that i've finished it in 4 hours.
Other conclusions are up to you, but don't say I tell lies or I search for fame, I don't know what you're talking about and I keep asking myself how people can be so dumb to say that kind of nonsense when someone write an opinion...

Mad Max RW
09-12-2011, 10:01 AM
...I keep asking myself how people can be so dumb to say that kind of nonsense when someone write an opinion...

Welcome to the Internet.

jim2point0
09-12-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/hard_reset/b/pc/archive/2011/09/09/an-afternoon-of-sci-fi-carnage.aspx

Reviewer played on normal. Had a lot of good things to say bout the game, but still thinks "most" gamers can finish it in less than 4 hours.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it though.

LoboFHmod
09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Let's not talk about who is dumb because I could say to you an Inconvenient Truth. People have finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution in 15 hours and I have finished it in 52 heavenly hours, and I know I have missed quests.

I don't give a damn about your speedruns in "walk in the park" difficulty, no offence, thanks for the info and now stop begging our attention, you are shifting from journalism to trolling at high speed.

iscariahkrieg
09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Let's not talk about who is dumb because I could say to you an Inconvenient Truth. People have finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution in 15 hours and I have finished it in 52 heavenly hours, and I know I have missed quests.

I don't give a damn about your speedruns in "walk in the park" difficulty, no offence, thanks for the info and now stop begging our attention, you are shifting from journalism to trolling at high speed.

Have you played the game? NO.
I've completed the game to write down a review. It took me 4 hours to complete it at Normal, or "little lambs mode" if you wish.
Am I begging for attention? Are you complete dumb?
Hashmallum wrote : But no one has finished the game on difficulty level normal while playing it for the first time in less than 7 hours. . That's a lie, because I've completed it playing normaly, dying a lot of times during bossfights and even replaying the final boss for my own amusement, and the counter is clear : almost 4 hours.
I don't seek fame, I don't give a damn to seek fame among trolls like you; I've completed the game, you have spent 4 hours in the demo doing the same things. You can of course spend 50 hours in Hard Reset if, while playing, you start to cook, take a nap or a shower. Very simple. If you don't understand a simple concept like this I don't know what else can I say.

LoboFHmod
09-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Read the first post again:

And I add: you can finish the masochist Demon's Souls in one hour (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/20/demons-soul-speed-run-video/)

Ok, so you have speedrun Hard Reset Little Lamb difficulty in about four hours. So what?, congratulations, you are my new gaming idol.

To finish this nice debate, I understand simple concepts...I am reading you.

EDIT: wait, are you the Gameinformer reviewer???, then this doesn't finish here.
Doing it again? (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-blog-entry), your magazine is a shame.

iscariahkrieg
09-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Read the first post again:

And I add: you can finish the masochist Demon's Souls in one hour (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/20/demons-soul-speed-run-video/)

Ok, so you have speedrun Hard Reset Little Lamb difficulty in about four hours. So what?, congratulations, you are my new gaming idol.

I'm giving up with you, really. Hashmallum, as an official statement, wrote the game on "Little Lamb difficulty" lasts 7 hours and I'm telling you that's not correct. If you play the 9 levels without rushing (because, again, it's impossible due to the heavy scripting that BLOCKS doors and passages if you don't take down EVERY SINGLE ENEMY) it will take around 4 hours, not 7. It's not my fault if there are incorrect informations on this post. The levels are like hallways, you will always follow straight paths and you can't, in ANY case, take different directions, you can replay it only if you want to increase your score. Stop.

I've played Hard Reset like I play games normally; nothing compared to speedrun.

In any case... we will discuss about this when you will realize that this game is not long as you expected, even if I strongly doubt you will ever admit.

Hashmallum
09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Guys easy please...

I'm saying that we tested it on 40 gamers.

Not even one of them finished the game in less than 6-7 hours on difficulty normal, some of them were hardcore gamers, some of them were casual people. And this is the presumed game time.

None of them was a game journalist - it's possible that skilled people will finish the game in less time that we presumed.

If you wish you can finish the game really fast - like most of the games.

But for an average person the gameplay lasts for about 7 hours.

If you want to beat the game 100% it will take more :)

LoboFHmod
09-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't care about time, I just care about sensations, if the game is nice bring it with its four hours and more than reasonable price tag.

What pisses me off is the actitude of some journalists, you play in stupid setting, without passion because you should write five reviews this week and then destroys the future of perfectly awesome games like Vanquish with manipulations and destructive reviews to troll some traffic. And later you put in the Olympo of games the same old ♥♥♥♥, with the same duration, if Activision or EA pays the bills.

Nothing more to say, a pleasure...Sayonara.

iscariahkrieg
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't care about time, I just care about sensations, if the game is nice bring it with its four hours and more than reasonable price tag.

What jaratees me off is the actitude of some journalists, you play in stupid setting, without passion because you should write five reviews this week and then destroys the future of perfectly awesome games like Vanquish with manipulations and destructive reviews to troll some traffic. And later you put in the Olympo of games the same old ♥♥♥♥, with the same duration, if Activision or EA pays the bills.

Nothing more to say, a pleasure...Sayonara.

You are saying things you don't even know. I collaborate with an Indie webzine, I dont get money from them and I write reviews just because I love to do that, I usually don't have more than a title in my hand for my precise will and I have all the time I want to complete the games, without pressures from my editors.
I've also said the game is quite fun to play; it lasts 4 hours, but are four good hours. You can't say it isn't short.
I repeat; when the game will be unlocked others gamers will come here to whine about the 4 hours thing, I'm pretty sure about that. If you don't want to believe just wait a week or so :)

jim2point0
09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
You are saying things you don't even know. I collaborate with an Indie webzine, I dont get money from them and I write reviews just because I love to do that, I usually don't have more than a title in my hand for my precise will and I have all the time I want to complete the games, without pressures from my editors.
I've also said the game is quite fun to play; it lasts 4 hours, but are four good hours. You can't say it isn't short.
I repeat; when the game will be unlocked others gamers will come here to whine about the 4 hours thing, I'm pretty sure about that. If you don't want to believe just wait a week or so :)

Question - are you going by the in-game timer? I know I spent a lot more time playing Deus Ex HR (for example) than an in-game timer would suggest. Every time I died or screwed up, I'd reload... but he timer doesn't take that into consideration I don't think. Even so... I doubt the amount of time spent backtracking would amount to 2 hours in a game like this.

I don't know why people are arguing with you. You're just reporting your findings and letting people know what you experienced before the game is released. I think that's great.

I don't think Hard Reset is the kind of game people buy for an epic journey spanning dozens of hours... but 4 hours is STILL a little bit short.

I enjoyed the demo on hard, so I'll play the final game on hard. I hope it's not something I can beat in 1 day (I only have 4-5 hours a day to play games).

iscariahkrieg
09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Question - are you going by the in-game timer? I know I spent a lot more time playing Deus Ex HR (for example) than an in-game timer would suggest. Every time I died or screwed up, I'd reload... but he timer doesn't take that into consideration I don't think. Even so... I doubt the amount of time spent backtracking would amount to 2 hours in a game like this.

I don't know why people are arguing with you. You're just reporting your findings and letting people know what you experienced before the game is released. I think that's great.

I don't think Hard Reset is the kind of game people buy for an epic journey spanning dozens of hours... but 4 hours is STILL a little bit short.

I enjoyed the demo on hard, so I'll play the final game on hard. I hope it's not something I can beat in 1 day (I only have 4-5 hours a day to play games).

Thank you Jim :) Like I previously said:

In those 5 hours I've alt-tabbed the game a couple of times to read my emails and take a break from playing. In any case, as you said, i've found the game kinda short.

jim2point0
09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
In those 5 hours I've alt-tabbed the game a couple of times to read my emails and take a break from playing. In any case, as you said, i've found the game kinda short.

Whoops. I conveniently ignored the bit about steam saying how long you were in the game ;)

SmileyBarry
09-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Well, if you explore everywhere and take your time it can even take you 8 hours. Then there's modding support which added over 100 chambers for me. I crossed the 50 hour mark thanks to custom content.

eMCee2daPEE
09-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Well, if you explore everywhere and take your time it can even take you 8 hours. Then there's modding support which added over 100 chambers for me. I crossed the 50 hour mark thanks to custom content.

there's going to be mod tools for this, right?

Phosphorr
09-12-2011, 08:02 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/wot-i-think-hard-reset/
Rock Paper Shotgun Clocked it at 6 or so hours.
Sadly the reviewer wasn't too kind about those 6 hours however.

jim2point0
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
there's going to be mod tools for this, right?

Nope. Pretty sad....

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115927

Apparently they made an engine that is a nightmare to try and mod. Brilliant...

eMCee2daPEE
09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Nope. Pretty sad....

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2115927

i am disappoint.

aforumtotalkon1
09-12-2011, 10:26 PM

That's the mistake DICE (developers of the Battlefield series) made with Frostbite v1.5 (The engine Bad Company 2 ran on). Apparently only a few people in the company really understood how the engine worked, and the rest didn't really have a full grasp of it, so they really couldn't make any mod tools for it.

Rumtruffle
09-13-2011, 12:37 AM
gamespot say 4-5 hours, even less for hardcore fps players.

Jumpy-B-L
09-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Lotsa people seem to forget that this is not a full priced game. 6 hours for a $26.00 (29.99 if you didn't pre-order) game is reasonable to me.

F2Pelerin118
09-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Lotsa people seem to forget that this is not a full priced game. 6 hours for a $26.00 (29.99 if you didn't pre-order) game is reasonable to me.

I don't think it matters whether it's a full-priced game, indie developed etc or not. IMO what matters is the quality of the game - while the experience lasts and how fun it is/was once you're done.

From the Demo this game seems damn fun, it was a good price and I'm sure it will be a reasonable length.

Rumtruffle
09-13-2011, 05:10 AM

couldnt care less if it was only $5.

what i care about is how the developers are blatantly lying about the game length when now its quite clear that its nowhere near 8 hours on a single, normal difficulty, playthrough.

if these developers are going to lie now, they are always going to lie and i cant trust anything they ever say.

them citing things like 'mario can be completed in 30mins' etc is meaningless, it took people years to work out, and learn, how to finish the game that quick. this game isnt taking years to learn the quick way to finish it, its taking hours with no actual working out or learning involved.

Iconoclast XVII
09-13-2011, 05:54 AM
what i care about is how the developers are blatantly lying about the game length when now its quite clear that its nowhere near 8 hours on a single, normal difficulty, playthrough.

Really? How do you know they are lying? Have you played the game? No. Are you listening to some random people on the internet, half of which have a better chance of lying? Yep. Would you rather have a kick ♥♥♥ 6 hour game, or a boring, copy and pasted 20 hour game?

And this last statement may be a little over all of your's whiny heads, but don't like the length that random people are saying the game is? Then don't buy the damn game. Is it really that hard?

iscariahkrieg
09-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Really? How do you know they are lying? Have you played the game? No. Are you listening to some random people on the internet, half of which have a better chance of lying? Yep. Would you rather have a kick ♥♥♥ 6 hour game, or a boring, copy and pasted 20 hour game?

And this last statement may be a little over all of your's whiny heads, but don't like the length that random people are saying the game is? Then don't buy the damn game. Is it really that hard?

Almost every review says the game lasts 4 hours.. THAT'S A CONSPIRACY!
Come on... wake up.

Jumpy-B-L
09-13-2011, 06:01 AM
couldnt care less if it was only $5.

if these developers are going to lie now, they are always going to lie and i cant trust anything they ever say.

them citing things like 'mario can be completed in 30mins' etc is meaningless, it took people years to work out, and learn, how to finish the game that quick. this game isnt taking years to learn the quick way to finish it, its taking hours with no actual working out or learning involved.

Normally I would be right there with you but when a developer makes a PC-centric game and is active on the forums I think it's high time you and others lighten up. You've got a team who is adding and changing features in the game before release based on forum feedback. Who does that anymore?

jim2point0
09-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Normally I would be right there with you but when a developer makes a PC-centric game and is active on the forums I think it's high time you and others lighten up. You've got a team who is adding and changing features in the game before release based on forum feedback. Who does that anymore?

Forgive my ignorance, but what did they add\change based on user feedback?

Jumpy-B-L
09-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what did they add\change based on user feedback?

Following can be found in the third sticky thread.

I finally made it here :)
So yeah, hi, my name is Artur Maksara and I'm a QA Specialist for Hard Reset

First of all I want to thank you all for your support and all the warm words about the game - trust me we are all reading comments, previews reviews, forums and your blogs at the office :)

So since the game is for you we decided to add the following features:

1. You will be able to change the FOV in the Video Options menu (50 - 90)
2. In the main menu we added a small check box in lower right corner 'Fast Menu' - so if you will enable this option, the menu animations will be faster (for all those who were annoyed with the speed)

So yeah, you wanted it - you got it :)

Again thanks for all the support!
Release on Tuesday.

jim2point0
09-13-2011, 07:20 AM
Following can be found in the third sticky thread.

These guys are my effing heroes. :D

mesaone
09-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Replay value. This is what made Borderlands a 200+ hour game. It's impossible for me to say if Hard Reset has this replay value, but whatever.

HR is half the price of the AAA games, and the Devs are active on the forums. I have only encountered this kind of support from Croteam and ACE, and I will continue to back up this dev team - even if the game only takes 2-4 hours to complete. They're already ahead, trying to appease us whiny PC gamers. How many times have we heard complaints about lack of demo, FOV, etc? For HR, these concerns were addressed BEFORE RELEASE.

Confirm4Crit
09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I think people are simply walking into this title with the wrong mindset
Please note, I've only played the demo and seen GP myself, haven't actually taken a dive into the full title, but I'm really excited to, and here's why.

I'm 18, and I was growing up on NES and Sega while "Old School" PC gaming was exploding. CRPG's, Old FPS's, etc. I've never been able to really dive into an old school experience because, like some have said, development.....objectives have simply changed.

So let's say I buy this title, ram though it in four hours or so, I'll humor ya'll and say on Hard difficulty.

Would I feel robbed? No, simply because, by the looks of game screens, that most people don't have all the achievements and secrets found/unlocked.

Yes, I went there.

This is simply one of those times where "getting 100%" is going to have to be a target.
I'd love to find all the secrets, and eventually do speed runs or point challenges with friends, just for fun.

Do I want multiplayer? No. Would I play it if it was there? Sure.
I hope the game does have leader boards of some sort, to "race" other players on levels, and full game time.

This might be the exact opposite of what the devs want to hear, "Oh lord, they're trying to see how FAST they can finish it?", but that's what I want. I want to race you. I want to beat your time. Be better than you against the same exact challenge.

That's my two cents, anyway.
Flying Wild Hog made a solid title, and I'm not gonna say "Great job for an indie studio", because that leaves an odd tinge to the sentence. "Great job given your limits!"
No.
Just, great job.

darkpuppy
09-13-2011, 01:48 PM
+1, Confirm4Crit... You're a credit to gaming. Btw, I'm at the final boss on normal, clocked at 6 hours. But, I reckon it'll be another hour, maybe two, of gameplay before I can beat him. And I scored terribly on secrets, and have died around 20 times now.

I repeat that this is solid work from FWH.

dimi_gr
09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I think people are simply walking into this title with the wrong mindset
Please note, I've only played the demo and seen GP myself, haven't actually taken a dive into the full title, but I'm really excited to, and here's why.

I'm 18, and I was growing up on NES and Sega while "Old School" PC gaming was exploding. CRPG's, Old FPS's, etc. I've never been able to really dive into an old school experience because, like some have said, development.....objectives have simply changed.

So let's say I buy this title, ram though it in four hours or so, I'll humor ya'll and say on Hard difficulty.

Would I feel robbed? No, simply because, by the looks of game screens, that most people don't have all the achievements and secrets found/unlocked.

Yes, I went there.

This is simply one of those times where "getting 100%" is going to have to be a target.
I'd love to find all the secrets, and eventually do speed runs or point challenges with friends, just for fun.

Do I want multiplayer? No. Would I play it if it was there? Sure.
I hope the game does have leader boards of some sort, to "race" other players on levels, and full game time.

This might be the exact opposite of what the devs want to hear, "Oh lord, they're trying to see how FAST they can finish it?", but that's what I want. I want to race you. I want to beat your time. Be better than you against the same exact challenge.

That's my two cents, anyway.
Flying Wild Hog made a solid title, and I'm not gonna say "Great job for an indie studio", because that leaves an odd tinge to the sentence. "Great job given your limits!"
No.
Just, great job.

Finally someone brought it to the point. Thanks bro. It was time this was said!

Confirm4Crit
09-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks, glad to seem I'm not the only who isn't....irked by the logic.

ShortwaveSnuff
09-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Hey Flying Wild Hog dude.
It's really great how you came here and spoke your mind.
I commend that. Also I was insulted by the poor quality of the majority of early reviews. The demo alone made me insanely happy.
Sure it could use a few tweaks but we all have our opinions. : P
(Also I could tell they didn't play it properly on hard..)

Thanks for letting my choose which one of my many monitors I actually wanted to use. It saved me from arranging my desktop in CCC. I always love it when people add little details.

Good up the good work and I hope to support your future endeavors.
So don't turn into pompous ♥♥♥♥s and start working with EA.

I think you guys will do fine and your pricing is fair.
Good luck and be well.
:o

virtualmatrix25
09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I commend that. Also I was insulted by the poor quality of the majority of early reviews. The demo alone made me insanely happy.

Thanks for letting my choose which one of my many monitors I actually wanted to use. It saved me from arranging my desktop in CCC. I always love it when people add little details.

Good luck and be well.

+1

+ Rep

Apehangers
09-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Amazing so many think the world revolves around them and if something doesn't meet their personal expectation level they need to whine and complain to everyone who they think will actually care....

Elenoe
09-13-2011, 05:23 PM
...if something doesn't meet their personal expectation level they need to whine and complain to everyone who they think will actually care....
ehm... like you? :) When your personal expectations of other people didn't meet your line so you complain to everyone here who you think actually cares...? :) I'm sorry, but that was just so obvious. Nothing bad :)

Apehangers
09-13-2011, 11:26 PM
ehm... like you? :) When your personal expectations of other people didn't meet your line so you complain to everyone here who you think actually cares...? :) I'm sorry, but that was just so obvious. Nothing bad :)

My expectations? No, I fully expect many to act like that, they meet my expectations ;)

Arkveveen
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I just finished the game, Steam says about 6 hours. After awhile, I've begun to realize that this game was intended to be like an oldschool shooter in many ways; it is very difficult, even on normal or easy. This clearly requires one to use everything at their disposal rather than 'favorite' a certain weapon.

The game is also clearly intended to be played over and over from the beginning; there is nothing wrong with that, really. I think most of us complain about this because alot of us are waiting for games that are coming out in a month or more, and need something that can occupy us for weeks... well then why not buy a MMORPG or something of the sort? Fallout New Vegas perhaps? Deus Ex Human Revolution? I'm on a budget however and cannot afford most of these games; so maybe that's why many get mad when a game doesn't give them the gameplay time they desire? Some of us don't exactly have jobs or steady incomes, so a game with a good price like this is expected to give us good gameplay time... otherwise, people get mad.

However, I am not mad and do not regret my purchase. I only regret that the game runs so damn poorly when Vertical Sync is turned on even if I have a good PC with 8 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 6850 HD, and a six core 2.6 GHZ 1035T AMD processor. The performance sort of ruined the game, as it goes as low as 20 frames per second when in the most heated battles, and the framerate even drops when I fire a weapon which I don't know why it does. Is this another one of those games where particle effects lag everything?!

Otherwise, it is best to chill out about game length.

Hashmallum
09-14-2011, 01:22 PM
What settings are you playing on?

Adrock4
09-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Took me about 6 and a half hours, with getting every last secret. As long as you take it in, it's a long enough game.

dogstar060763
09-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Good luck and be well.

I agree with all this and would just add an extra 'thankyou' to the developer for building in 360 controller support on PC. It's the little things that count. It's why I bought your excellent game. HR is a great game with FUN written all over it in big, bright letters - any fan of shooters should make themselves a proud owner of what is one of this year's best 'sleeper hits'.

BionicAir
09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
props to Flying Wild Hog for actually knowing what "Epic Boss Fights" are. Atlas is kicking my ♥♥♥ on insane difficulty, its a nice step up from the usual easy console shooters. Steam clocks me in at 8.6hrs,and im still trying to kill Atlas. :D

Hashmallum
09-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words :) Trust me we will support this title. Remember to give us a like on Facebook :P

BionicAir
09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHH damn Atlas. he's a total bastard on Insane lol and those little helicopter robots are a pain. i keep trying to ignore em,so i can break the plates off of Atlas,so i can get into the next phase,so i got this whole herd of em chasing me.

i almost dont even wanna know what that EX Mode is >.< lol

Hashmallum
09-15-2011, 01:48 PM
You started a clean game on Insane?? Finish the game on Normal, get some upgrades and replay the game in EX Mode :) you will start the game with all the upgrades you bought on Normal ;P

BionicAir
09-15-2011, 02:13 PM
That i did! XD i like a challenge,what can i say :P so EX Mode is what,same difficulty as insane? but with all the upgrades i got from normal? how does that work exactly

Hashmallum
09-15-2011, 02:15 PM
If you selesct EX Mode after finishing the game on any difficulty level, you will be able to select any difficulty level again :) So finish the game on normal, then select the EX Mode and select Insane :)

BionicAir
09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Ah okay,that makes sense now. guess im clinically insane for starting a clean game on insane difficulty. =P its a hell of a challenge though,thats for sure.

netnerd85
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Took me 7.1 hours to beat on Normal difficulty according to Steam.
[EDIT] The in game counter says 5 hours 24 mins.

Compare with another Shooter, it took me 13.5 hours to beat Duke Nuke Forever.

LoboFHmod
09-15-2011, 02:42 PM

I spent seven hours on its campaign, so now you know one.

My steam clock says six hours and I have just finished the lab, time ingame?, I don't know, one mission clocked 1.45, another one 1.15, etc, etc, etc...I am playing in Insane, indeed, I am not a press analist (with short life span).

In any case, the game is kickass, don't listen to these critic muppets.

DelBosco
09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I did my first play through on insane, and beat it in 6 hours. Apparently the devs' friends suck at shooters :p

I'm certainly not complaining though. I've already gotten more than my money out of this excellent game, and I plan to do at least one more play through :) A higher difficulty setting would be nice however, because playing insane with all my weapons unlocked right off the bat really seems easy in comparison to the first run through.

netnerd85
09-16-2011, 12:50 AM
I did my first play through on insane, and beat it in 6 hours. Apparently the devs' friends suck at shooters :p
Or you don't get out much? seriously, wow :cool:

Cato269
09-16-2011, 04:01 AM
I did my first play through on insane, also. I've clocked in at 10 hours and just finished the game. I'll admit, it did feel like there should have been one or two more stages (Due to the difficulty I had with Atlas compared to the constructors - The constructors feel like they are a sub boss compared to Atlas) though I am not disappointed at all.

Jumpy-B-L
09-16-2011, 04:15 AM

I'm certainly not complaining though. I've already gotten more than my money out of this excellent game, and I plan to do at least one more play through :) A higher difficulty setting would be nice however, because playing insane with all my weapons unlocked right off the bat really seems easy in comparison to the first run through.

9 hours thus far on Insane for me. I'm not finished yet, still trying to beat the last boss without getting smeared by the heavy grenadier and gorillas.

Darrosquall
09-16-2011, 04:32 AM
I have just finished 3 level on normal. 3,2 hours for now. I can't understand how people finished the game in less 4 hours in normal.

evil_Vasile
09-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Well, I finished it in about 6 hours (steam time) on hard, but boy were they some 6 hours. Every battle felt intense, the boss fights were great and I should've probably spent way more time admiring the environments, which I'll probably do on my next play-through. It may not be the "longest" fps released lately, but it sure is fun!

I've really gotta try insane one of these days and I still have lots of secrets to find!

Oh yea... and I enjoyed the checkpoint system more than I thought I would, not being able to save during boss fights really added to the challenge.

Jeffro
09-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Who the hell finished Quake in 11 minutes!!!! Is that a record time or the time it takes to finish the shareware version? I've spent 8-10 hours on a single run of Quake single-player.

Anyways, I can't afford HR right now, but the demo was fantastic and I agree that the length of a game is irrelevant.

sfu
09-16-2011, 02:59 PM
It took me 8 hours to finish the game on easy! I cannot understand how one can finish this game in 4 to 5 hours and really appreciate what the game is all about. To me it is about the dynamic of experiential contrast, between the intensity of surviving waves of onslaughts and exploring the sublime world for secret areas. So why not take your time and soak in the scenery. The experience will be much more rich and it won't be over so quick!

I do feel that this is one of the most atmospheric games I have played and even the story is not that bad in concept. It just needed to be cleaned up a little with some more connectivity and exposition. I am looking forward to the next patch and if the middle mouse button can be mapped to switch between the 2 main weapons it could make things even better.

Bravo FWH! I wish you all continued success and thank you for your outstanding service.

Dave3d
09-16-2011, 03:13 PM
I do feel that this is one of the most atmospheric games I have played ...

Apparently, you have never played Metro 2033?
If not, give that a go.
THE most atmospheric game ever made, imo.

mclazyj
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I think people forget that length does not equal quality in a game. I thought Max Payne and Max Payne 2 were short games, but even in the short time I spent with those two titles was filled with tons of enjoyment.

Same thing with Hard Reset. Yes, it was a short game, but it was an fantastic ride along the way. I found the controls to be spot on, fun gun mechannics, great upgrade system and more. The story was a bit confusing, but I was not checking into Hard Reset for the story. I was checking in due to the vibrant world and the old school shooter mechanics.

I think that a reviewer needs to mention the short length of a game, but also whether the enjoyment of the game overcomes that issue. For some it does and for others it will not. Hard Reset easily exceeds the fun threshold, regardless of its length.

Dave3d
09-16-2011, 04:03 PM
I think game GIRTH is much more important than game LENGTH.

Sorry, had to do it.
:)

Redboy
09-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Just finished 8 hours played in normal. Want back for more achievement !

Hashmallum
09-17-2011, 12:00 AM
It took me 8 hours to finish the game on easy! I cannot understand how one can finish this game in 4 to 5 hours and really appreciate what the game is all about. To me it is about the dynamic of experiential contrast, between the intensity of surviving waves of onslaughts and exploring the sublime world for secret areas. So why not take your time and soak in the scenery. The experience will be much more rich and it won't be over so quick!

I do feel that this is one of the most atmospheric games I have played and even the story is not that bad in concept. It just needed to be cleaned up a little with some more connectivity and exposition. I am looking forward to the next patch and if the middle mouse button can be mapped to switch between the 2 main weapons it could make things even better.

Bravo FWH! I wish you all continued success and thank you for your outstanding service.

johnnythewolf
09-17-2011, 02:05 PM
I've been playing this game on Insane for more than eight hours and I'm still not done with it. I suspect I'm getting close to the end, though.

Somehow, I feel inclined to believe Hashmallum; the reviewers must have been playing in Easy-Normal in order to finish it in four hours. That's why I decided to switch to Insane, as Normal was still too easy.

Honestly, I don't even think Painkiller lasts more than four hours in Easy-Normal either!

`Genocide
09-17-2011, 02:38 PM
It took me 9 hours to beat Hard Reset on insane difficulty.

I am very happy with the difficulty of Hard Reset. Not since Quake has an FPS challenged me this much to beat the game.

pnptcn
09-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I think the game length was great, personally. Not once did I feel like the game was overstaying its welcome or going off the rails.

Crytek games, I'm looking at you.

johnnythewolf
09-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I think the game length was great, personally. Not once did I feel like the game was overstaying its welcome or going off the rails.

Crytek games, I'm looking at you.

Crytek is hardly the worst offender in that regard; the original F.E.A.R. had serious pacing problems stemming for the unappealing graphics, uninspired architecture and lack of enemy variety. The game just seems to drag on and on, and didn't need to be so ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ long.

Sweetz
09-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I just finished the game, my first time playing, on normal difficulty and it took 5.7 hours. I would definitely not say I rushed through the game either. I found 46 of 55 secrets and stopped often to admire scenery and take screenshots. On average I'd say I died 4 times per level after the first level.

Unless something went wrong and the game shipped with levels missing (and that wouldn't surprise me given some questionable breaks in continuity) I find the 7 hour estimate to be unlikely. Saying that "no one has finished the game on difficulty level normal while playing it for the first time in less than 7 hours" is bullcrap because now you have many examples of people who have. Maybe if a player is poking around for all of the secrets it could suck up that much time, but obviously not everyone is going to do that and I still took time to find a majority.

I had a great time with the game but the ending was so abrupt and unexpected that it very nearly soured my opinion of the entire game. However, I realized that I was only so mad at the game ending the way it did because I wanted to play it more.

I think the game is great and I don't regret my purchase, but I think it could have stood to be a few levels longer.

Here's my stats page for verification BTW: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sweetzz/stats/HardReset

thedfo
09-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Just finished the game on normal. Before I checked my total time, I played the first two levels on insane in EX mode. I have now played for 4 hours and 50 minutes. So, probably something like 4 hours 20, and I got 41 of 55 secrets, so I did not exactly sprint through it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I agree with sweetz, it feels like there was a screw up and they didn't ship all the game. I mean, didn't the demo get you all the way up to the hospital? I know I saw at least one build that ended right before you went into the hospital (when you jump over the gap in the highway). That would also explain the story being hard to follow, and it's abrupt ending - we didn't get the whole game.

Darrosquall
09-18-2011, 03:07 AM
I have to beat the last boss, counter steam says 8,3 hours at normal.

gabrielinc
09-18-2011, 10:12 AM
I've just completed the game at normal und you can say what you want but it is way too short. Now i know why the demo wasn't longer. If it would have been no one would buy the "full" game. They could have added at least one more boss and no one would complain. But in such a way the game musn't cost more than 10 or 15 Euro.

P.S.: I don't understand why they didn't add a multiplayer. It doesn't take so long to program.

P.P.S: Apart from the missing multiplayer and the shortness the game is great, especially graphics. Well done!

Mr. Wonko
09-18-2011, 10:50 AM
P.S.: I don't understand why they didn't add a multiplayer. It doesn't take so long to program.
You have no idea...

gabrielinc
09-18-2011, 11:06 AM
You have no idea...
All what i wan't are 4 maps and single player deathmatch. That's it.

netnerd85
09-18-2011, 01:04 PM
All what i wan't are 4 maps and single player deathmatch. That's it.

It's harder than it seems to program multiplayer.

Burro Loco
09-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I've just completed the game at normal und you can say what you want but it is way too short. Now i know why the demo wasn't longer. If it would have been no one would buy the "full" game. They could have added at least one more boss and no one would complain. But in such a way the game musn't cost more than 10 or 15 Euro.

P.P.S: Apart from the missing multiplayer and the shortness the game is great, especially graphics. Well done!

You can't imagine how difficult it is to programa decent multiplayer.
Besides, who needs multiplayer?
All I ask FWH now is more story. PLEASE take the story seriously!

SmileyBarry
09-18-2011, 04:42 PM

As a programmer, I have to tell you: until you actually program your own multiplayer game on your own engine you have no say in this. (Not just a Source mod or Unreal Engine 3 game. It's less hard on a pre-made engine. These guys made their own game engine. There is no base multiplayer option to start from.)

PsYcHo126
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
It took me ~6hours to complete on normal. Im fine with that :P Haven't found all secrets. I think ~ 60% of them.

gabrielinc
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
As a programmer, I have to tell you: until you actually program your own multiplayer game on your own engine you have no say in this. (Not just a Source mod or Unreal Engine 3 game. It's less hard on a pre-made engine. These guys made their own game engine. There is no base multiplayer option to start from.)

That's ridiulous. Croteam had six employees when they programmed Serious Sam and they(!) had a multiplayer. Perhaps you don't know but they also used their own engine. Of course, it takes time but, well, that's their job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croteam

Let's take an example. Battlefield 3 is supposed to have a playing time (single- and multiplayer) of at least 100 hours (i've read that it takes about 400 hours to unlock everything in multiplayer) and its price is only twice as much as Hard Reset.

I say that if you drop multiplayer for which reason ever the single player should be at least long enough. I've completed Hard Reset and what should i do now??? Right, I wait for Battlefield 3.

SmileyBarry
09-19-2011, 09:25 AM
That's ridiulous. Croteam had six employees when they programmed Serious Sam and they(!) had a multiplayer. Perhaps you don't know but they also used their own engine. Of course, it takes time but, well, that's their job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croteam

Let's take an example. Battlefield 3 is supposed to have a playing time (single- and multiplayer) of at least 100 hours (i've read that it takes about 400 hours to unlock everything in multiplayer) and its price is only twice as much as Hard Reset.

I say that if you drop multiplayer for which reason ever the single player should be at least long enough. I've completed Hard Reset and what should i do now??? Right, I wait for Battlefield 3.

All Serious Sam games were made with the Serious Engine. The Serious Engine has existed ever since the first game in 2001, and has had three iterations so far. They can port over the multiplayer code from the previous games to the HD remakes and perform tweaks over the years. They have used the same engine for a long time and made changes to support new technologies and improve certain parts of the engine, just as Valve did with GoldSrc and Source. (Source is an improved version of GoldSrc, not an entirely new engine, and GoldSrc is based on the Quake engine.)

Hard Reset uses the Road Hog Engine, a completely new engine. They, unlike Croteam, didn't have any existing multiplayer code for their game. In addition, Serious Sam: The First Encounter has been in development for five years, while Hard Reset was in development for two years.

And about your ridiculous Battlefield 3 reference: Why would you compare a game developed by 280 people to a game developed by less than 10?

Burro Loco
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Besides the vast majority of HR players don't really demand a multiplayer mode (already enough mp games out there) but a good, atmospheric story.

FWH can make a very good game with a story and graphics way overy the average fps. But it would be very, very difficult to create a game with a better-than-average multiplayer.
It's not worth the effort.

gabrielinc
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
All Serious Sam games were made with the Serious Engine. The Serious Engine has existed ever since the first game in 2001, and has had three iterations so far. They can port over the multiplayer code from the previous games to the HD remakes and perform tweaks over the years. They have used the same engine for a long time and made changes to support new technologies and improve certain parts of the engine, just as Valve did with GoldSrc and Source. (Source is an improved version of GoldSrc, not an entirely new engine, and GoldSrc is based on the Quake engine.)

Hard Reset uses the Road Hog Engine, a completely new engine. They, unlike Croteam, didn't have any existing multiplayer code for their game. In addition, Serious Sam: The First Encounter has been in development for five years, while Hard Reset was in development for two years.

As you say the Serious Engine was also completely new when Serious Sam I (FE) was published and they had multiplayer. So what's the difference?? I'm pretty sure thay Flying Hog will produce more games with their own engine in the future. Does that mean that they will never offer multiplayer?? Ok, the development of Serious Sam took a little bit longer... but probably that was good so! Maybe Flying Hog should have spent a year more working on game length and adding some features.

And about your ridiculous Battlefield 3 reference: Why would you compare a game developed by 280 people to a game developed by less than 10?
...because for buyers it's not important how many people have been working on a title. What counts is: "What do i get for my money??"

Next month Serious Sam III (BFE) will be released and not all people can afford both of the games so they will have to decide. The price of Serious Sam III isn't much higher but you'll get a single player which will be surely longer than sp of hard reset, 16-player-coop and different kinds of mulitplayer. It won't be easy for hard reset to compete.

P.S.: I don't want to imply that i didn't like Hard Reset. I did but i think that you could have get out more.

SmileyBarry
09-19-2011, 01:48 PM
As you say the Serious Engine was also completely new when Serious Sam I (FE) was published and they had multiplayer. So what's the difference?? I'm pretty sure thay Flying Hog will produce more games with their own engine in the future. Does that mean that they will never offer multiplayer?? Ok, the development of Serious Sam took a little bit longer... but probably that was good so! Maybe Flying Hog should have spent a year more working on game length and adding some features.

...because for buyers it's not important how many people have been working on a title. What counts is: "What do i get for my money??"

Next month Serious Sam III (BFE) will be released and not all people can afford both of the games so they will have to decide. The price of Serious Sam III isn't much higher but you'll get a single player which will be surely longer than sp of hard reset, 16-player-coop and different kinds of mulitplayer. It won't be easy for hard reset to compete.

P.S.: I don't want to imply that i didn't like Hard Reset. I did but i think that you could have get out more.

You missed my point completely. Croteam had FIVE years. Flying Wild Hog had TWO. Croteam had MORE THAN DOUBLE the time to code multiplayer into their engine.

Of course FWH could integrate multiplayer. But never, ever call it "easy" and you're trying to say it could've been done before HR was released. That's my point - it couldn't have. There's not enough time when it comes to a brand new engine and how much optimisations FWH had to do on it.

gabrielinc
09-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Croteam had FIVE years. Flying Wild Hog had TWO.

I don't know the financial background of FWH but who has set the limit of development time to two years? Wouldn't it have been possible to extend this? If they didn't have the money for more development (this could be possible if you don't have a big publisher) i do understand but it wouldn't be a good feeling to buy a game which is too short because of lacking money.

johnnythewolf
09-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Would you prefer a much longer game that ends being too repetitive?

Frankly, I don't want to diss the Serious Sam franchise, but after trying the first Serious Sam HD demo, I can't imagine myself paying more than five bucks for a visually average and generic-looking game where enemies just magically pop out of thin air into large and empty arenas.

Elfarmerino
09-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Question: does the in-game timer take into account times when you died? Say I play a section five times, each time taking five minutes, except only on the final attempt do I make it to the next checkpoint, would the game log only the 5 minutes from the successful attempt or the whole 25 minutes?

I mention it because when I finished Dragon Age the in-game timer was at 30 hours but Steam had it at close to 40; I guessed the discrepancy was due to reloads and time spent making cups of tea with the game paused.

Gargaj
09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
It's not that Hard Reset is short - for the price it's the correct length and no parts feel like it's dragging on or stalling.

But it certainly feels short, and the reason for that is that you don't see the end of it coming. There are two premonition encounters with the Constructor, but nothing seems to indicate that it's gonna be the final boss, and even the prof in your head just shrugs it off. So once you defeated it, and the game ends, you get confused.

There's no designated villain or ultimate force, so you're not sure what the whole plot is leading up to. In Painkiller (the closest I can think of as a comparison) it was obvious that you're going against Satan and you knew that the encounter against him will be the final one. Here you have no sense of progress of where you are in the game, and the fact that the final bossfight happens to be at the end of a fairly normal level doesn't help - you don't feel the intensity of the game scale up. I'll even risk saying that the prof's oneliner of "I'll just leave this one to you" (or something) makes most players think "oh so there are bigger ones later".

How I think this could've been fixed/avoided: (these are just ideas, by no means solutions)
1. When the Constructor is first spotted, the prof should express concern that this should not be here and must be destroyed or something very bad will happen.
2. Mention the Constructor more often, explain what it is and why is it so important to be taken down. Players will then look forward to it.
3. Separate the final bossfight as a level - it's the oldest trick in the book to lead the players through large desolate areas with a lot of powerups to give them the sense that something big and bad is about to come.
4. I even would've skipped the ending score dialog and segued directly to the cutscene once you killed it. Additionally add a little interactive section where the player has to trigger the ending of the game somehow. (Great opportunity for a nice musical cue and some dialog too!)

See, Hydrophobia (a game done by a similar-sized crew for a similar price and similar length) fell into the same pothole, when the game just ends and there's no real resolution and you're left wanting more. I'm not saying you should make a story-centric game by any means (God forbid, don't distract me from blowing stuff up!), but to put it bluntly, the final bossfight was epic, but not EPIC. ;)

Bob_McDuff
09-26-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't know... after seeing this giant creature walk by twice I was pretty sure that it was going to be the final boss. Also I thought that the final boss battle itself was really awesome - a great challenge with a mix of different threats that require different ways to tackle them. One of the best boss fights in any shooter IMO.

But I do know what you mean about a somewhat abrupt ending... It did feel a bit as though the game ended just when it was really getting into the swing of things. You're just getting to the point where your weapon loadout lets you really mix things up combat wise, and then things end.

Imbajoe
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
One thing I am pretty disappointed with is that it seems like there's no real difference between Hard and Insane as far as the actual levels go. It would have been nice to see change in the enemy spawns (more enemies, more varied composition of groups) to increase the difficulty, not mere tweaking of damage numbers.
The same thing bugs me about the EX mode. It's basically the same thing, except you keep all your upgrades. Kind of a bummer.

I still like the game a lot and quite enjoyed its pretty high difficulty on the first playthrough. Even had to turn it down to Hard for the first one!

Gargaj
09-27-2011, 04:02 AM
I don't know... after seeing this giant creature walk by twice I was pretty sure that it was going to be the final boss.
Maybe it's the Arkham Asylum + Far Cry influence but I ended up thinking that the Constructor will be the second bossfight and then somehow I will have to battle the prof in some sort of larger thing later on. A wild extrapolation, I admit, but I have a feeling I wasn't the only one thinking that (or similar).

Also I thought that the final boss battle itself was really awesome - a great challenge with a mix of different threats that require different ways to tackle them. One of the best boss fights in any shooter IMO.
From a gameplay / game mechanics perspective, I completely agree.

Mihanick
09-27-2011, 04:52 AM
One thing I am pretty disappointed with is that it seems like there's no real difference between Hard and Insane as far as the actual levels go. It would have been nice to see change in the enemy spawns (more enemies, more varied composition of groups) to increase the difficulty, not mere tweaking of damage numbers.
The same thing bugs me about the EX mode. It's basically the same thing, except you keep all your upgrades. Kind of a bummer.

I still like the game a lot and quite enjoyed its pretty high difficulty on the first playthrough. Even had to turn it down to Hard for the first one!
I started from the beginning through the game on Tier: Insane and from the parking lot was really hard to play!

LoboFHmod
09-28-2011, 05:53 PM
11.30 hours, Insane, I've enjoyed every minute of it. Videogames media failing hard, like usual.

s1n_
10-05-2011, 01:38 AM
11.30 hours, Insane, I've enjoyed every minute of it. Videogames media failing hard, like usual.

Agreed. I put in around 10 hours on normal, LOL :) oh, and don't make me start on videogames media, giving the hardcore old-school shooter some n00bs to review!

Concerned Reade
10-28-2011, 05:39 PM
I clocked in at around 9 hours on Normal.

Ywap
11-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Difficulty level: Insane
Gun: Assault rifle + grenade launcher only
Hours played so far: 13
Hard Resets level of awesomeness: 100%

I take my time admiring the fantastic graphics and search the surroundings for secrets. Also, i never use the plasma rifle because im gonna finish the game with that gun only on my next playthrough.

You have created a masterpiece Flying Wild Hog and im wholeheartedly thankful for you bringing this fantastic game to the PC.

Dean Demon
11-29-2011, 11:50 PM
It really amazes me why anyone who wants to pay a small fortune for a new game then go and miss out on playing the game as it should just so they can say or brag that they have finished it and then moaning that it's short,what do you honestly expect by skipping the content? Reviewers yes do this because of their deadlines and just can't devote any time to it but surely if you're going to shell out the cash then you should experience as it should be or why bother buying it in the first place?

malek1013
12-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Actually 6.7 hours on normal, not that I'm complaining at all. :p

Kinglink
12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
I haven't played this game yet, but maybe it's the fact I'm 30, and not 20, but a great 6 hour game, is better than a 20 hour average game.

I want every minute of a game to be solid and enjoyable. So many games have a great 2 hours, 8 hours of mediocre gameplay, and 2 hours of a visceral ending. (God of war? Dead Space?)

4 hours is pretty short, but if it's a great 4 hours, I'm less likely to complain. I have enough games that I don't want to complete, or spent too much time completing.

dorkington
12-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Doom was short? I am stil playing it. Replayability > length. Downloading Hardreset on X-mas eve and the servers are a little slow. The $5 special makes this a great stocking stuffer. Godda go set the leg traps on the roof before Santa shows up. That Fat bastard has several X-mas's from my youth he MUST answer for.

Wizzler
12-24-2011, 08:33 PM
3.6 hours on easy.

Gameplay is fun, but the game is to short.

Weapons: Assault-Rife + Rocket-Launcher

The Description says: Epic bossfights - i killed 2 bosses during the whole game. :D

bogdanj
12-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I bought this game on Steam this morning and I have just finished it on the normal difficulty setting in 5 hours and 22 minutes. I am not complaining about it's duration because I prefer quality over quantity. I think this game is incredible! I'm going to play it again on a higher difficulty setting and I'm probably going to try different upgrades. :) Thank you Flying Wild Hog for making such an awesome game! :D

edit: I have just finished the game on hard and it took me 11 hours and 7 minutes. and now it's time for the ex mode! :)

superthe
12-25-2011, 06:09 PM
4 hours on normal. But now I can play it on hard and insane. :)

Besides, it's better to be short than be padded with cutscenes or button-hunting.

DrRiceBowl
12-25-2011, 09:04 PM
great 8 hours beating it on normal :D, didn't know you got new weapons by getting the first slot xD a bit lost on the story though

Mulky
12-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Who the hell finished Quake in 11 minutes!!!! Is that a record time or the time it takes to finish the shareware version? I've spent 8-10 hours on a single run of Quake single-player.

Quake Done Quickest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpiNDxssUL0

Quake done 100% Quickest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzXKMqZBBc

shooter17
12-27-2011, 10:21 PM

everything you say is based off of the assumption that more time is always a good thing. Maybe the six hours that you spend playing hard reset is the best six hours ever, and u dont really enjoy the bf3.
Then you could play more time in hard reset than bf3.

Games are measured by more than potential time played

Vayne018
12-28-2011, 02:02 PM
11 hrs of intensity on insane. One of the best shooter I've played.

federicoleandro
12-29-2011, 05:45 AM

I disagree, It`s true that you can finish all those games in a very shor time, but in order to do that you have to play the game lots of times to master all levels, most of the times you quote are from quality speedruns.

I think hard reset is a very nice game, but you have to be responsable for the fact that you didn't design the game to stop runners and give them more challenge.

croteam has the same problem with ss3 but worst: in coop mode, it takes only 1 runner to spoil the whole play for the other 16 players.

one good example is l4d; (i know is not the same game, but...) rewards players who explore the level giving them less enemies and more health/weapons and punish runners with few health and more horde attacks.

still, hard reset is a good game, but it feels really short; and this is not about the real playing time, its about the feeling you get when you finish the game. and for me thats what is all about good game design, to successfully deliver a strong, clear sensation you want the player to feel.

i'm really proud of buying hard reset; and will support flying wild hog in other incoming games, i hope my opinion can help you in the future, so stupid critics can understand your games better.

Sentient6
12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
The problem with Hard Reset isn't that it's short... It just ends abruptly.. No, that's not the same thing. Take the CoD single player. It's short, but it feels completed, it ends where you expect it to end.

Hard Reset... It feels like someone made a full-length game, then cut it at the 5 hour mark and threw that slice out as the single player... It doesn't feel like a short game but a short part of a longer game. Which sucks.

Adde
01-01-2012, 02:56 AM
I have 3 hours logged on Steam, and I have beaten it on easy with only a few deaths.

topgunmv
01-01-2012, 11:07 AM
30 hours and counting. Best shooter I've played in years.
People complaining about short completion times on easy should perhaps try it again on something other than the easiest difficulty out of 4.

ressolute
01-02-2012, 12:53 PM
6 hours on normal. This game was so fun! Get it if you just want to have some fun

PunkZoli
01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
my gameplay was 5.6 hours, started on normal , but tronguyboss want me to switch to easy :Đ

Rattlepiece
01-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Don't care really. This game put a smile on my face and I really enjoyed playing it.
Most games these days just makes me want to bang my head into my desk with all its cutscenes and scripted bull♥♥♥♥.

Hard Reset is a very solid title.

Strider2K99
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Bought during holiday sale, just beat it today. In-game stat screen says I beat it in just under 4 hours on normal. I found about half of the secrets in the game. I didn't rush, I played at my own normal pace.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it, considering what I payed for it. I plan on going back eventually to do it on Hard, maybe insane if I feel like it.

Sublimis
01-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Just completed the game in 5.5 hours hours using normal mode.

Have to say it is great fun and the graphics and lighting effects are some of the best I have seen.

perdido
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
10 hours played so far. Playing for the first time, difficulty "Hard". Not finished yet.

Almost 2 of these 10 hours I've spent trying to kill Atlas, I thinks it's due to the choices I made on the upgrades. I'm still trying... :(

Enjoying the game thou, definetely starting a new game on "Insane" when I finish! :)

mrnails
01-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Just played for the first time on normal. Beat it @ 4.5 hours. Good game and fun.

exee
01-10-2012, 01:57 AM
What about "Nie ma lipy!" difficulty level? How long does it usually take?

salad123
01-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Just beat it in 5 hours "Steam Clocked", great game. For comparison, that is longer than Portal, Mirrors Edge, Call of Duty and more.

stillwater78
01-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Pisses me off when reviewers play on easy. Even normal is a bit iffy, since most veteran gamers are likely to play games on hard or hardest.

loafy101
01-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Ok let me make some things clear.

They are still good games.

You can't finish Call Of Duty in less time than the developers wanted because it's heavily scripted, with all the cutscenes, NPC preventing you from going somewhere etc.

Hard Reset was designed to be an oldschool game.

As far as I think - reviewers played the game on Easy, just to finish it as soon as possible.

If you will play Hard Reset on 'Easy' and will run all the time, just to complete objectives, it's possible to finish the game in 4 hours. But no one has finished the game on difficulty level normal while playing it for the first time in less than 7 hours.
I think that reviewers shouldn't be speedrunning the game - but it's their chocie.

End of announcement :)

I'm a little late to this discussion, but here it goes.

No offense Hashmallum, but when I reviewed Hard Reset (which I loved, by the way) I stated it took me 5 hours and I was being generous. It was really more like 4.

I didn't speed play it.
It wasn't on easy.
I spent plenty of time looking around at all the amazing visuals.
I spent plenty of time looking for hidden items/places.
I watched every second of the cutscenes.

In fact, my steam time now sits at 7 hours after running through half the game at insane too. I don't know who those 40 people were you tested it on, but if you want to call them gamers, you might want to put quotes around it. I'm by no means a hardcore fps player, it's just not a very long game. Then again, there's nothing wrong with that. Frankly, most games that take 20+ hours pad out that time with pure drudgery. I'll take a lean and mean game such as your over that any day.

Claiming reviewers are somehow being disingenuous is not exactly going to endear yourself to anyone.

yourock
01-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Don't trust Steam with calculating time!
I've played Skyrim more than 2 weeks, each day after work 7pm to 1am (on weekends even more) and now Steam says I've played it only 23 hours...

loafy101
01-22-2012, 08:52 PM
I was only quoting Steam as an accessible benchmark. It really is pretty worthless for many games. I actually use a Time Tracking app on my phone to keep record of the amount of time I actually spend playing a game, so I can accurately relay the information in my reviews.

nameismilo
01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
13 hours on normal. Took my time, but didnt use a guide for the secrets or anything either. Still felt short, but only because the story seems to finally start progressing and ends abruptly. Still not a bad game, and visually stunning.

sourcerror83
02-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Honestly, there are a lot of games I don't finish because I get bored playing it. On the other hand this game has replay value for sure, as you can't unlock all the weapons on the first run, and there's plenty of them. And just experimenting with different combat styles keeps it intresting.

It certainly offers good bang for the buck.

RelakS
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Want to experience all the weapons? EX Mode, or Survival. The Survival can be a little though, but can prepare you to play through the game on Insane difficulty even if you play it on easy. And it is a big help to collect the 10000 kills and 2000 environmental kills

Axonn
02-10-2012, 02:16 AM
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but, I made myself a Forum user JUST so I can post here! Long story short: I played about 16.2 hours of Hard Reset and I'm not done with EX Mode yet.

HARD RESET IS NOT TOO SHORT. It's short, yes, but NOT TOO SHORT. Given its cost and graphics (which are great), plus the fact that it has NO BUGS (at least none that I could find), I think Hard Reset is EXACTLY where it should be.

I'm not a noob gamer but I'm not a pro either. I loved the game and when I played it the first time, I was, indeed, disappointed that it's finished already.

I think that the problem lies in the way the story is told. You just DON'T EXPECT it to be finished! If somehow the story would prepare you for that, you'd take it more easily.

Anyway, when I discovered that in EX-Mode I can resume the game with my old equipment I was overjoyed!!! Now I'm enjoying another playthrough and I'm happy I can max out my weapons & equipment.

Hard Reset rocks.

BRING ON THE DLCs!!! Finish the story!

evs
02-10-2012, 10:18 AM
About 5-6 hours on normal.
Game looks great but it is very samey, same mobs all the time, same attack patterns and so on. Oh look more conveniently placed objects to blow up.

It's good for an Indie title and befit the price but the game needs a lot more oomph in the way of enemy types, AI, weapons and story to make a DLC a must purchase option.

All imo ofc!

Drowning Witch
02-17-2012, 05:35 AM
11 hours on insane. for the price and the enjoyment i got out of it. couldn't be more satisfied :)

thank you devs.

ShadowsforaY
02-19-2012, 11:12 PM
lol, CoD games even with so many scripts only last for merely 5 hrs for SP.
Yeah, I am playing this game on normal. It has already taken me 7 hrs as I just start the final chapter. I'd give it a hard 8/10. Thx to the dev for such an awesome-old school-cyberpunk style-blade runner background-game.

Sodomy
03-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Did it in 3hr 6 mins on normal. good to hear there is an expansion/dlc on the way as i am really digging this ghost in the shell like story.

Very good game for the price, and I am enjoying the gun machanics. I wouldn't mind if you released this game in episodes, just so long as you do try to act like value on that one :P

Cunin
03-23-2012, 08:12 PM
The only thing I'd like to add is that Steam often not report the gametime right. I know this for a fact although I had this "bug" only a few times, but it happens far more for some friends of mine. This bug makes the time lower but not higher afaik.

Finished the game on Normal in about 8.4 hours if I remember correctly (and if Steam was right), but I like to find all secrets and look around at the beautiful graphics.

There's also lots of replay value thanks to the EX mode and the survival, though I wished there were more maps to play there. Also, an MP survival mode would be awesome :)

cerebro_xds
04-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Also, an MP survival mode would be awesome :)

VOTE YES

BadBeat
04-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Completed it on Hard in 7 hours on my first time through, with excessive secret hunting (though I didn't find them all :( ). But frankly, that's a decent length, as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't feel padded or bloated. It doesn't have time to get dull or outstay its' welcome.

emwearz
05-05-2012, 02:54 AM
I finished it in 4 hours on Normal, without extensive secret hunting.

A really enjoyable 4 hours it was as well.

NC37
07-21-2012, 02:50 PM
At 11hrs now with both game and DLC finished. But I've also used it to benchmark a few times so 10-11hrs for sure. That is with secret hunting and just gawking at eye candy. Few areas that took some attempts at also, but this was partially due to me not unlocking the right weapons to handle them.

za.ch
07-22-2012, 02:38 AM
I think that reviewers shouldn't be speedrunning the game - but it's their choice.

Just for reference it took me about 8 hours for the original part and another 7 for the exile dlc (Normal Mode), BUT I used more than half the time to search for secrets to get nano for upgrades.
With my skill level it would not have been possible to advance faster, as I absolutely needed the nano from the secrets to not die constantly and invest the time instead in replaying sections. Still the original game was im my humble opinion just a bit to short, now the the exile update it fits perfect for its price point.

AwayToHit
07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Easy difficulty or not, with the exile expansion, the game's length is pretty long now :)

ShredderBlack
07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Unbelieveable, I forget the time while playing this game. I just loved it. Thanks for bringing good old memories on modern style with Hard Reset. :)

BosMa
09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Depends :)
Probably 2-3 hours more than on normal difficulty. But it depends on the person - your skill and how well you know the game. Some of the people had a problem finishing the game on normal within 12 hours.

This is a grey area imo..

toggling the difficulty may add more length but its because one is dying more which can ultimately lead to doing the same thing over and over again thus turning some off due to die start over die etc.

A game can be great and be short, content is everything but when a game like Hard Reset comes along the desire to play more, see more and want more is more of a problem than the game being short, most reviewers said they wanted more and cant wait for the next game/installment.

Also im pretty sure this game wasnt 60 bucks retail so this also needs to be taken into considertaion.

Some games are short and suck and cost 60 bucks ( k & lynch 2, imo)

Some games are brutaly hard and have very fair length of gameplay ( demon & dark souls) >>> not many in the hard dept, one setting which i love <<<

Some are cod clones which are heavily scripted and re-hased been there done that and short ( homefront )

First of all you guys gave free dlc thus adding more game, freeee.
Secondly from what i have seen of this game it has some of the best lighting and explosions and gun play period.
So obviously nothing was spared in terms of graphics and im not a code master by any means but i know "wow thats not easy to do" when i see it.

as far as the story well i would skip the cutscenes to jump back into to the shoot everything that moves or explodes gameplay and this game is all about providing a very classic but modern fps feel and its not easy to have a taste of both in the same game.

No need for a 'disclaimer' type thread, the game is full throttle on fun factor and has visuals that are sometimes jaw dropping.
Unfortunately i bought the game again on steam to try the dlc and steam being the unfortunate part due to technical issues atm.

But it made enough of an impression on me to get it again just to have another go at this game.

If and when a new hard reset is released i will be in line
( digitally) to pick it up.

You want a better metacritic score? Well story needs to come together and game needs to have more variety of enemies and added length.
But my point is that metacritic is broken ( many scores still rated by letters/ stars/ joysticks etc , not just a numbers system) and all that really matters is that the majority want more of this and thats huge win and many devs have made games after game after game w/o gaining this reaction from users/critics.

Bottom line is the pubs that "pay dues" are the only ones who can maintain high average per game consistantly and everything else is never truely depicted accurately by a score, the review/critic system is broken , tainted and we the gamers must look at each review to find simualar points within them and filter out the ones which seemed to have used the launch trailor as material to base a review as if never playing the game at all..

Its up to use to look between the lines and rely upon each other in respectable forums with as few trolls and Hammer Legion Members as possible.

Change the thread to official announcement "why the game rocks" and also there are some who are havent played this yet but are excited w/ news of the dlc etc so this isnt a great way to re-present a gorgeous game which now has an "average" amount of gameplay due to the dlc (free) and the survival mode.

Hard Reset needs not to explain anything but the facts and one is very simple and important to gamers = Some said it shouldve lasted longer and devs made it happen w/ free bonus dlc.
There are not many who practice "Free anything" and the devs that do should be rewarded and are appreciated by gamers of another gen or 2 maybe 3 ago.. I know i am.

My spelling is horrid i know.

BosMa
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
VOTE YES

Absolutely yes.