PDA

View Full Version : Melee weapon?

Burro Loco
09-17-2011, 06:09 AM
It would be nice to have a melee weapon to go nuts against the robots.
Of course this would mean moar upgrades :D

Cato269
09-17-2011, 06:11 AM
To rip-off Quake's manual...

"The last resort. Face it -- going toe-to-toe with the uglies in Hard Reset demonstrates all the good sense of a man parachuting into an alligator farm."

jim2point0
09-17-2011, 07:48 AM
To rip-off Quake's manual...

"The last resort. Face it -- going toe-to-toe with the uglies in Hard Reset demonstrates all the good sense of a man parachuting into an alligator farm."

Good old classic shooters had no melee weapons. I'm glad this game doesn't. Would make it a lot easier in some instances.

Goser
09-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Good old classic shooters had no melee weapons. I'm glad this game doesn't. Would make it a lot easier in some instances.

In Doom there was a chainsaw and fists, Quake had an Axe, Duke 3D had the quickkick,Serious Sam TFE had the knife. Hexen, Heretic, ShadowWarrior also had meelee weapons.
So u r wrong.

Burro Loco
09-17-2011, 08:34 AM
In Doom there was a chainsaw and fists, Quake had an Axe, Duke 3D had the quickkick,Serious Sam TFE had the knife. Hexen, Heretic, ShadowWarrior also had meelee weapons.
So u r wrong.

Not to mention the Pain Killer weapon.

Just think how cool would it be to throw a gravity 'nade and hack the robots while they are trapped in the gravity vortex mwa ha

DuckStab
09-17-2011, 08:39 AM
This game is all about killing the giant enemy herd before they get to you, maintaining distance and maximizing damage. Giving it a melee weapon would screw with the unique gameplay and make it more bland, not to mention less intense.

Burro Loco
09-17-2011, 08:54 AM
This game is all about killing the giant enemy herd before they get to you, maintaining distance and maximizing damage. Giving it a melee weapon would screw with the unique gameplay and make it more bland, not to mention less intense.

Really? I guess that's just your style.
I love to close in and kill the enemy face to face with shotguns or whatever weapon.

Think about the EMP pulse, running into a horde of small robo-bastards, triggering the EMP and then smashing them with a cyber-melee-something sounds quite intense, doesn't it?

roxahris
09-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Giving it a melee weapon would screw with the unique gameplay and make it more bland, not to mention less intense.Are you joking? Adding in a melee weapon would only make things more intense, as long as it were made as a weapon for last-resort, cornered, no way out situations. You know; "aaaaaaaaargh, no way out, gotta make a path, gotta get through". Can you imagine how much more tense the situation would become if you were not wildly firing into a crows but wildly beating at it instead? Or, hell, kicking at it - the game's control scheme is balanced for two major weapons, so some kind of alternate, "Mighty Boot"-alike weapon would probably be the best choice.

Mad Max RW
09-17-2011, 08:56 AM

What the f...

So u r wrong.

Thank god somebody got to you first. I'm convinced many of the people who cite "classic shooters" never actually played them. jim2point0 is case number 1.

Mr. Wonko
09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Adding in a melee weapon would only make things more intense, as long as it were made as a weapon for last-resort, cornered, no way out situations.
So you want a way out of no-way-out-situations?

NKC42
09-17-2011, 09:45 AM
You'd lose around half your health just from brushing up against a crowd of gravity-naded drone bots on the higher difficulties.

jim2point0
09-17-2011, 10:16 AM
What the f...

Thank god somebody got to you first. I'm convinced many of the people who cite "classic shooters" never actually played them. jim2point0 is case number 1.
Except I was more or less referring to Quake 2, Half-life, Unreal...

And the axe in quake\kick in duke nukem were crap compared to the melee weapons in games these days. The exception is the chainsaw in doom, which was somewhat useful beyond the first 2 stages in the game....

If this game had a melee weapon like painkiller, it'd be silly.

Mad Max RW
09-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Except I was more or less referring to Quake 2, Half-life, Unreal...

Did you forget about Half Life's crowbar? It's possibly one of the most iconic weapons in video game history.

Dracorat
09-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Unreal had the impact hammer too.

skiddlywibble
09-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Because beating something to death with a baseball bat is easier than blowing it's legs off with a minigun?

DuckStab
09-17-2011, 02:25 PM
You'd lose around half your health just from brushing up against a crowd of gravity-naded drone bots on the higher difficulties.

This. The people asking for melee weapons clearly didn't play on Insane difficulty. :D

Mr. Wonko
09-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Because beating something to death with a baseball bat is easier than blowing it's legs off with a minigun?
In some instances, yes.

bagofbones
09-17-2011, 02:53 PM
This. The people asking for melee weapons clearly didn't play on Insane difficulty. :D

yeah, when I play I want to stay as far as possible from any machine.

Wolvenreign
09-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Interesting thing about melee weapons in FPS. Often they have strange comparisons to shotguns.

For example, in Serious Sam First and Second Encounters, you have a knife and a double barrel shotgun. (And a chainsaw, but let's stick to the knife comparison for now.)

Up close, the double barrel shotgun does the same amount of damage as a swing of the knife. However, the knife doesn't use any ammo, never needs reloading, and "fires" faster than the double barrel shotgun. You'll find that higher-level Serious Sam players will almost never use the double barrel shotgun.

I'm not arguing one way or another, just pointing out that there may be some redundancy between melee weapons and shotguns.

Mad Max RW
09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
It would be cool having a third upgradeable melee weapon.

Iconoclast XVII
09-18-2011, 12:14 PM

And this prove that half the people with the "old school shooters had/did [...]" comments never actually played them and are trying to jump on the bandwagon...

skiddlywibble
09-18-2011, 12:40 PM

In some instances, yes.

Like when they don't have legs. :)

NKC42
09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Indeed. The enemies in this game are truly relentless with their attacks and once their attack animation starts, get ready to bend over because NOTHING will interrupt them until they either finish or die.

Ever get what I call "leap-frogged" by two gorilla bots? One charges while the other recovers, resulting in a stream of damage. If you can't get out of the way of the first one, you'll just up and die in four seconds.

Burro Loco
09-18-2011, 11:40 PM
So what?
Nobody says that you must be able to get through the game using a single weapon for it to be present.

Or are you saying that you beat the game using only the rifle?

supergaxx
09-23-2011, 03:10 AM
I dont see how a melee weapon would help against hordes of metal monstrosities, especially when usually 3-4 hits is enough to get you killed in most cases already.

You have to remember that your guy is still human and most likely lacks the strength to whack a super lead pipe against a robot and damage its outer hull enough to break it off.

Then ther is the speed at which he could swing it at. This man can hardly sprint for 5 seconds, let alone swing a heavy object over and over again.

Net_Bastard
09-23-2011, 04:17 AM
The outer shell of a gorilla can't even be broken off with an RPG shot. I doubt a melee weapon will do much help.

Tempest_Wales
09-23-2011, 07:08 AM
FAKK2 had a Chainsaw sword. Awesome!

http://www.insidemacgames.com/include/image_view.php?ID=73

johnnythewolf
09-23-2011, 07:39 AM
The Shock Blaster is the closest thing in Hard Reset to an actually useful melee weapon.

LTK
09-23-2011, 04:59 PM
The important difference between melee weapons in modern and classic shooters is that the classics often have a slot dedicated to a melee weapon, whereas a lot of modern shooters have a tap-to-punch/stab/kick button (Borderlands, Bulletstorm off the top of my head).

Whichever you're thinking of, it'll be useless in Hard Reset. If any robot gets close to you, you're screwed. To try to punch them to death or whatever would be completely futile.

Elenoe
09-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Think about the EMP pulse, running into a horde of small robo-bastards, triggering the EMP and then smashing them with a cyber-melee-something sounds quite intense, doesn't it?
you mean something like both attacks (close range+pulse attack) of 2nd NRG mod?

Anyway it is last resort and it is low efficiency on insane as - like others stated - the main point is not letting them come close at all or you die a lot.

Or are you saying that you beat the game using only the rifle?well, yes. My first playthrough (normal) I was using only 1st NRG mod. And I never get used to use rifle even on insane. Except mine traps before fight begins.

BionicAir
09-24-2011, 12:43 AM

exactly,yup..go melee one of those walking bombs,and see how long you last. robots tend to like explode,and alot of em will nearly 1 shot you in melee range on insane difficulty. which makes melee weapons in this game completely pointless seeing as you wont be alive long enough to even kill anything.