PDA

View Full Version : Buy it now or wait?

sn4k3l
09-17-2011, 02:51 PM
EDIT: Yes, I bought it... ($24 on http://www.getgamesgo.com/ )
-------------------------

Well, I ended up missing the pre-order discount, but I've decided I want to buy the game now.

Problem is, christmas sale is not that far and by then things will be even better, considering they keep fixing bugs.

Is the game worth full price as it is? Or should I simply wait for BF3 and play it until RO2 gets cheaper?

Thanks!

vac banned
09-17-2011, 02:54 PM
BF3 and RO2 are 2 completely different games

if you have not played RO1 b4, check out some videos first.

sn4k3l
09-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Sorry, what I meant is, if I don't buy RO2 now, I'll just keep playing BF3 until it gets a discount.

Bascelik
09-17-2011, 03:10 PM
You can wait. On bigger maps game is unplayable at the moment (FPS drops, lag...) So you can wait until they fix it. On smaller maps game runs fine (most of the time)

jawor23
09-17-2011, 03:13 PM
steam price is too much for such buggy game but you can get keys for 19USD which - i think - is a good deal

Desi
09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
You know, I love this game and everything, but it has a lot of problems. I have lots and lots of fun when I'm playing more fun than any other multiplayer FPS and I can run the game perfectly fine on Ultra, but there are lots of other issues that, for me, somewhat lessen the experience. Server browser is slow in refreshing, sometimes it knocks out people's routers for a short time, there's hitbox trouble at close range, sometimes the sound completely disappears after a round (fixed only by restarting), the Cover system should really have its own bloody key (can't believe that's still not an option), can't turn off incidental music, spawns don't make sense (Russians attacking their own town in Apartments, Russians on the tracks in Station instead of taking position in the ruins), and also some weapon imbalances.

I think they should have just delayed it for another two weeks. I can't tell you the depth of my disappointment for this game when I look at the server browser in the evening and see only 7,000 players (although I'm in Australia and the time difference may explain it). It's a good game, but at this stage I wouldn't pay $40 for it. At the same time, I wouldn't wait until the Christmas sale. I'd say TWI deserves $25-$30 for it.

kozzy420
09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Buy now, its an awesome game. Has some issues but there has already been 3 patches and more coming.

AeneasXI
09-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Buy now, its an awesome game. Has some issues but there has already been 3 patches and more coming.
^This

I have RO1 and Killing Floor both from TWI and thus I know they are very good with after-launch support!

Lycaeon
09-17-2011, 03:21 PM

Funny how having 3 patches in the last 4 days is seen as being a positive.

AeneasXI
09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
It is! Name a single game that didn't need a bugfix after release in the last 10years...
The faster they patch the more of a sign of dedication it is.
Some developer need weeks maybe even months to roll out much needed patches...

ravager_of_cows
09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
You can wait. On bigger maps game is unplayable at the moment (FPS drops, lag...) So you can wait until they fix it. On smaller maps game runs fine (most of the time)

You should maybe state that this is not true for everyone. There are performance issues for some people (it is still not clear why, at least to me). I have been having an awesome time with this game. Only a few crashes so far, and a few bugs in single player that have really peeved me. If it works for you; you will have a blast.

Haydar
09-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Did they fix any of the bigger issues?

No.

oldbrokenlink
09-17-2011, 03:31 PM
i would wait!

they should have delayed the release

the game is unfinished and there are real issues

the framerate, lagging and hit registration are all terrible.

for example you can be all the way in the rear, behind a solid stone building and get killed. it's like bullets travel all the way across the map and are not always stopped by solid objects either that or cheaters are rampant.

also, 3d sound is messed up at times, it's like the shooting is happening behind you, which it isn't, it's way across the map in front of you, but the sound it like occuring behind you.

also, even on very high end cpu/gpu your framerate will be terrible, there are not settings changes that you could map that will resolve it.

for example i have my settings 1920x1200 ultra everything, my cpu is like 20-30% utilized and my gpu is like 30-50% utilized and my frame rate is like 15-30. now i can change all the settings to their lowest possible value and my cpu and gpu just get more idle, but framerate really don't improve all that much.

if i work very hard i can squeeze 30-60 fps where most of the time its like 40-50, but then it doesn't look at good and i still have all the above problems and my cpu/gpu are mostly idle.

infact my cpu is running at around 85% of maximum frequency!

no other game does this, and i own just about every game that is out there.

all these problems are with their engine which will take them time to fix, if ever, where the game refuses to fully utilize hi-end cpu/gpu as they largely remain idle while getting terrible framerate!

it looks like they have serious pipelining problems, or thread stalls and starving going on. so the gpu/cpu remain idle waiting for things to do.

also some of the textures and effects are terrible
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_BMaLfHOh2jNWRjY2FhZWEtMzQ4MC00MDcxLWEwN TItMTE0ZjljZDI0ZWFh&sort=name&layout=list&num=50
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_BMaLfHOh2jYTI1ZDJhMDAtMjVmNS00ZjU1LWFiZ jYtZjY0NmE2Yzg1ZDRi&sort=name&layout=list&num=50
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_BMaLfHOh2jZGVhMTU4NTQtNGUyYS00M2Y2LTkzN DMtYTFjNzUxNzM0NGVi&hl=en_US

plus the maps are unbalnced, tiny and that won't get fixed until the modding community get's some tools

finally, the worse thing is bf3 beta is just around the corner, so soon for me at least this game will be on the shelves unplayed while i move on to bf3.

sadly they were delayed and missed their window and will most likely end up with only a small community playing it.

now with regards to the community it is very good and so has twi commitment been to past titles.

so its a good buy on discount to infrequently play when you want more realism than bf3 can give you

i bought it, infact i preordered it, and i'm not looking for my money back, i would rather they fix it and work with the community to get the editing tools out and let the modders and mappers at it, while twi focuses on fixing their engine.

oh one more thing i got it for like $27 legit, so if you shop around you will find it heavily discounted and it will most like drop in price by the winter sale, hopefully by then some of the engine issues will be resolved and their will be some big maps.

Bascelik
09-17-2011, 03:36 PM
You should maybe state that this is not true for everyone. There are performance issues for some people (it is still not clear why, at least to me). I have been having an awesome time with this game. Only a few crashes so far, and a few bugs in single player that have really peeved me. If it works for you; you will have a blast.
For some people? Are you joking? It is clear why, game is still in beta stage. I have been having an awesome time with this game too (when it works)...
No need for Hammer Legion Members or trolls, just the truth (RO2= awesome game currently in beta stage, FACT, end of story).

R5CYA
09-17-2011, 03:38 PM
mine works fine. i just dialed up the video setting to ultra on mine and it still runs good. lots people with major problems still, i guess. not me. (knock wood)
it's your call on whether to buy now and hope you're one of the lucky ones or not.
it is an awesome game when it's working!

xX_Renegade_Xx
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
It is improving, for me at least, can't speak for anyone else.

Still a few bugs that need sorting out but they're getting there.

Heids24
09-17-2011, 03:44 PM
If you have a tolerance for some bugs, go ahead and get it now. It is definitely an incredibly addicting game. If you have limited tolerance for bugs, wait a few weeks.

sn4k3l
09-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the replies!

From what I've gathered, opinions for this game are quite mixed, though they seem to be slightly leaning towards "Wait for some time", which I'm inclined to do.

Don't get me wrong, RO2 does seem to be good and I really like Killing Floor-- which I bought for a great discount.
It may sound miserable, but $10-$15 would be enough to buy another excelent title!

grail
09-17-2011, 04:11 PM
You can get the deluxe version for $23.99 right now so you don't need to wait for it to go on sale.

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad

sn4k3l
09-17-2011, 04:16 PM
You can get the deluxe version for $23.99 right now so you don't need to wait for it to go on sale.

And now you've changed everything, lol

Seriously, how exactly does this site work? Is it trustworthy?

stahlhelmii
09-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Come join us! Misery loves company! :D

R5CYA
09-17-2011, 04:18 PM

from what i hear, it is. ymmv.

sn4k3l
09-17-2011, 04:22 PM
from what i hear, it is. ymmv.

I don't know, it sounds shady. How can they sell it at almost half the price like this? I don't understand...

Gomez34
09-17-2011, 04:26 PM
I got mine from greenman gaming and it was legit, almost half the price of steam

da_bradler
09-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Buy the game now so they have more money to put towards fixing it :) And there is the of chance you might have the magic rig that can run it perfectly. I consider the game playable now after the current patch. it's still no where near performance wise where i'd expect.

It's going to be a lot better by Christmas for sure But it's sorta nice beingin in on the ground floor of a game that it's going live long and far outsuppass the greatness it's bound to achieve.

I think they are working hard to make it playable while they are seraching for the magic bug that is wrecking everybodies performance. I have faith.

it's a good deal now but will be an absurd deal in decemeber.

sauron767
09-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I hate to buy (well most of them anyway) games full price. Since you missed the sale, wait but you risk finding another game that takes up your time and not getting to this good game. That has happened in the past to me and does leave you with some regrets.

We are getting to near end of year and a lot of good games come out then. Let’s see Rage, Skyrim, Modern war 3 just to name 3. So waiting could be bad.

I preordered and have no regrets. When Skyrim comes out I will be looking for a new game. Not that I will dump RO2, I try to play several games a few hours here, a few there but not buying now may result in you never getting to RO2.

Do you buy now at full price? That may be the best overall choice. I am happy I bought it preorder so when Skyrim and Rage are out I can get at least one of them. First one under $60 will be the purchase.

Raquel
09-17-2011, 04:48 PM
ro2 is still cheaper than the "standard" price even without discount

i think :p

irnbru
09-17-2011, 04:59 PM
If you like tactical shooters, buy it now.

If you like tactical shooters, but are rather intolerant of minor flaws and bugs, buy it later.

If you don't like tactical shooters and prefer arcade-style run and gun shooters, you might want to reconsider buying it at all.

Vin_Howard
09-17-2011, 05:05 PM
For some people? Are you joking? It is clear why, game is still in beta stage. I have been having an awesome time with this game too (when it works)...
No need for Hammer Legion Members or trolls, just the truth (RO2= awesome game currently in beta stage, FACT, end of story).

posting while intoxicated? that's dangerous

oldbrokenlink
09-17-2011, 05:08 PM

a very good deal, i paid $27 for regular verion

Xostean
09-17-2011, 05:23 PM

why wouldnt that be a positive? it means they are fixing the game. Be happy they are trying to do some thing instead of hoping it goes away and ignore it like most game companies.

sn4k3l
09-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Well, I ended up buying on Get Gaming, and it's already downloading.

+rep for Grail, specifically, for recommending the site, and thanks again to all of you!

grail
09-17-2011, 05:51 PM

Yes, it is trustworthy. I bought it there. It is owned by the gaming site Eurogamer. They just give you the Steam serial code and you dload via Steam after entering the code.

grail
09-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, I ended up buying on Get Gaming, and it's already downloading.

+rep for Grail, specifically, for recommending the site, and thanks again to all of you!

Thanks but the Rep should go to the person that posted the url earlier in the week in this forum.

sauron767
09-17-2011, 05:55 PM
ro2 is still cheaper than the "standard" price even without discount

i think :p

Steams price is up to $49.99 now for the dde version.

grail
09-17-2011, 05:55 PM
a very good deal, i paid $27 for regular verion

Yea. it doesn't say deluxe version but it is.

ENhanc3
09-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I really want this game. Just waiting for the overall fix. Is there a ETA that anyone knows of? I know its coming, I just hope it's soon.

Monty Waged War
09-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Yea, I always give that link to someone who's on the fence. Instant buy!

Seriously how long will GetGames sell at that price?

w00ties
09-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I picked it up for $22 from GMG and, even though my PC doesn't handle it all that well, I don't regret the purchase. Things will improve with time. If you can pick it up for around $24 from the likes of GetGamesGo then I think you should go for it. I doubt it will go much cheaper during the Christmas sale, plus you'll get to experience the game earlier and watch how the game progresses with each patch.

grail
09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Steams price is up to $49.99 now for the dde version.

Hey, are you Sauron from simHQ?