PDA

View Full Version : Little advice needed

Garees
09-18-2011, 03:24 PM
im not a huge gamer but skyrim caught my attention , i have a pretty old rig so i wonder how/if my rig will handle skyrim =

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50GHZ 2.50GHZ
4 GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
my monitor max res is 1680x1050 not sure if that matters

so should i be able to play Skyrim on my PC smoothly with better graphics then PS3 or should i rather pick it up on PS3 ( upgrading Rig is out of question )

Thanks in advance !

vampuricknight
09-18-2011, 06:41 PM
im not a huge gamer but skyrim caught my attention , i have a pretty old rig so i wonder how/if my rig will handle skyrim =

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.50GHZ 2.50GHZ
4 GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
my monitor max res is 1680x1050 not sure if that matters

so should i be able to play Skyrim on my PC smoothly with better graphics then PS3 or should i rather pick it up on PS3 ( upgrading Rig is out of question )

Thanks in advance !

Sounds a bit like my old rig, but yeah it should work maybe around mid settings is my bet. i can't guarantee it will run better than the ps3 graphically but i can guess with 95% certanty it will do better than an xbox 360 and you'll likely have a better view distance and likely a less jumpy game in the case of frame rate issues.

MrShooter
09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
It will definitely look and play better for you on your PC.

Fragmintz
09-19-2011, 12:50 AM
This is good news for me. Playing the game either on an iMac Windows partition with similar settings to what you mentioned or a Macbook Pro with a faster processor but a Nvidia 320M graphics card. To be honest, I've been happy with the output and performance of most games even on my laptop. Human Revolution, ACB, and Fall Out series all look as good if not better than my 360 did. To me the important thing is playing the game at all - I'll worry about the optimized graphical experience one day when I get a dedicated gaming laptop (hopefully sooner than later).:)

noodlesoup
09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
You should be fine. I have a slightly more powerful setup than you and im able to max pretty much anything at 1650x1050 atm.

Only thing I have to sacrfice, is usually AAx8.

Maxxgold
09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Sounds a bit like my old rig, but yeah it should work maybe around mid settings is my bet. i can't guarantee it will run better than the ps3 graphically but i can guess with 95% certanty it will do better than an xbox 360 and you'll likely have a better view distance and likely a less jumpy game in the case of frame rate issues.

lol. It will run on his specs no problem. Not sure where you get your info but the PS3's lack of 512 ram causes all kinds of problems with slow loading and framerates. 256 + 256 on the PS3 is not the same as one bank of 512. It's why the PS3 can't do cross party chat, google it. I have the PS3 and the 360 and it's clear which console is made for gaming and which one is made for movies. It's funny that you think a dual core system with 4gb will not be up to par with a PS3 with 2 banks of 256 memory and a slower processor.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/18/playstation-vita-has-more-ram-than-ps3-hey-cross-game-chat/
Read and weep. : )

MrShooter
09-20-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/18/playstation-vita-has-more-ram-than-ps3-hey-cross-game-chat/

"PS Vita has more RAM than PS3"

That's somewhere between sad and hilarious and I'm having a hard time deciding which

I hope the next console generation comes standard with 4gb ram + 1 gb vram

vampuricknight
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
lol. It will run on his specs no problem. Not sure where you get your info but the PS3's lack of 512 ram causes all kinds of problems with slow loading and framerates. 256 + 256 on the PS3 is not the same as one bank of 512. It's why the PS3 can't do cross party chat, google it. I have the PS3 and the 360 and it's clear which console is made for gaming and which one is made for movies. It's funny that you think a dual core system with 4gb will not be up to par with a PS3 with 2 banks of 256 memory and a slower processor.

well for one i don't use ps3's nor have i ever taken one apart to see whats inside, other than the fact that they have a blueray lazer i know next to nothing about them from a technical standpoint. (you'll also notice that i didn't actually say the ps3 will run better than his rig ever.) ^_^ That being said i have taken apart my xbox360 multiple times and can honestly say it would run better than a xbox360. This is a case of someone trying to keep to what they know instead of spouting off random ♥♥♥♥ and being completely wrong like 99% of the internet.

Cobalt2202
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I have worse rig than you.
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.2 GHz
Geforce 9800 GTX
4GB RAM
Windows 7 32-bit Ult.

nesmoth
09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi Garees.
About your specs, dont worry, your computer its not very high, but you will be able to play the game. Maybe not at the top settings but u will, commonly bethesda's game they have a lot of things to configure, just go into the settings and pick the right settings for your pc.
4gb of ram its very good, and the resolution that you have its good too, maybe you should consider to get a new cpu, that will help you to play newer games.
Hope it helps. bye and sorry for my english.

Garees
09-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all the replies , very helpful ! Im set to buy a PC version of Skyrim now .

I did look around a bit and an upgrade didnt seem to be as expensive as i tought it would be . In particular i saw this affordable rig =

intel core i7-2600 3.4 GHZ
4 GB DDR ram
nvidia geforce gt 520 1GB ram
Windows 7 home premium

I could add the ram from my old rig and make it 8 GB so i was euphoric but then i decided to do research on the graphic card and it seems like it wouldnt be an update , i saw some claims its even slower then the 9800 .

How is this possible ? It has double the ram ?

Anybody got any experience or knowledge on this ?

I know it's a bit ouf of topic for this forum but so far i had a positive experience asking for help here so i tought i'd try .

Thanks in advance again ! -Garees

mtndewme
09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies , very helpful ! Im set to buy a PC version of Skyrim now .

I did look around a bit and an upgrade didnt seem to be as expensive as i tought it would be . In particular i saw this affordable rig =

intel core i7-2600 3.4 GHZ
4 GB DDR ram
nvidia geforce gt 520 1GB ram
Windows 7 home premium

I could add the ram from my old rig and make it 8 GB so i was euphoric but then i decided to do research on the graphic card and it seems like it wouldnt be an update , i saw some claims its even slower then the 9800 .

How is this possible ? It has double the ram ?

Anybody got any experience or knowledge on this ?

I know it's a bit ouf of topic for this forum but so far i had a positive experience asking for help here so i tought i'd try .

Thanks in advance again ! -Garees

The 520 isn't meant for gaming and is just able to render more. My advice is wait and purchase a newer card like the 560, 580, 590. Or even the radeon HD 68xx or 69xx series of cards. With that processor you'll be able to play games maxed out with these cards, and you'll have an amazing system for years to come. You'll also need a decent monitor too though. 1920x1080 resolution at least.

Or you could get an amd phenom ii x4 965 processor and a gtx 460 card. You'll be able to play games on very high this way.