PDA

View Full Version : Portal 2 Retail Bonus DLC still broken

kraken
09-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi all,

For those of you who have purchased retail copies and received bonus DLC currently the DLC is only visible on your character if you have no other items equipped on your character.

We are working to correct this and make the DLC appear as an item just like other skins, hats, etc. in your backpack.

For now, to use it, you will need to leave everything unequipped on your robots.

We apologize for this inconvenience.
So, is it ever gonna be fixed?
The game has been released since 5 months, there has been several patches and still nothing about this.
In the mean time, (paid) skins from the shop are working perfectly...

tin
09-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Don't anyone take offence (because it's not intended)... But I really don't understand why people get so uptight about a texture they "paid" for.

Yes, I did look at the retail options and the offers before I purchased, but at the end of the day, most of them were simply pointless non-tangible addons which effectively have a zero value.

If they had offered to ship you a free t-shirt in your size and they didn't send them out to anyone, then I can understand. But for most people, this was a texture that fails to apply correctly. The people who didn't buy those versions probably want other bugs fixed first.

Yort Nerraw
09-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Don't anyone take offence (because it's not intended)... But I really don't understand why people get so uptight about a texture they "paid" for.

Yes, I did look at the retail options and the offers before I purchased, but at the end of the day, most of them were simply pointless non-tangible addons which effectively have a zero value.

If they had offered to ship you a free t-shirt in your size and they didn't send them out to anyone, then I can understand. But for most people, this was a texture that fails to apply correctly. The people who didn't buy those versions probably want other bugs fixed first.

He/she paid for this. I don't think he/she cares. Valve is not fixing something which he/she purchased. Nor have they showed any intention of fixing it.

It doesn't matter what other people want. It is incredibly rude of Valve not to have yet fixed this.

Basically by now it is clear Valve does not care.
You could message Steam support demanding that it be fixed or you get a refund for your game.

Who knows if it would work though.

I'd be pretty pissed if I had gotten that and not received what was promised with it.

Prankman
09-18-2011, 09:59 PM
He/she paid for this. I don't think he/she cares. Valve is not fixing something which he/she purchased. Nor have they showed any intention of fixing it.

It doesn't matter what other people want. It is incredibly rude of Valve not to have yet fixed this.

Basically by now it is clear Valve does not care.
You could message Steam support demanding that it be fixed or you get a refund for your game.

Who knows if it would work though.

I'd be pretty jarateed if I had gotten that and not received what was promised with it.

They did not pay for it; it was an extra. I got the wrong Pokemon figurine when I pre-purchased Soul Silver (I got Ho-Oh instead of Lugia). I'm not about to throw a fit and demand that Nintendo fix it.

And yes, it does matter what other people "want" because there are still plenty of other little little bugs that actually effect gameplay and need to be fixed for everybody. But I guess supporting the hundreds of thousands of people that all purchased the game is less important than compensating a few individuals for a crappy optional skin. You never thought about that, did you? That maybe, just maybe, making sure the game is functional for everybody that paid full price for it instead of worrying about a silly extra skin that only a handful of people got and was free?

And yes, it is a free skin. The game costs the same amount with or without the skin; it is a freebie.

tin
09-18-2011, 10:33 PM
And yes, it is a free skin. The game costs the same amount with or without the skin; it is a freebie.

Exactly - And it's not like you can't use it from what I'm reading. It just doesn't show up if you attach other silly pointless items at the same time (is this correct?).

I personally played the puzzle part of the game rather than the menu part. I couldn't tell you what attachments and textures anyone I've played with was using, because I frankly didn't care as long as they were firing portals into the right places.

En Ex
09-19-2011, 05:16 AM
It will most likely be fixed with the first DLC.

Just hang tight for a bit longer.

Yort Nerraw
09-19-2011, 06:06 AM
They did not pay for it; it was an extra. I got the wrong Pokemon figurine when I pre-purchased Soul Silver (I got Ho-Oh instead of Lugia). I'm not about to throw a fit and demand that Nintendo fix it.

And yes, it does matter what other people "want" because there are still plenty of other little little bugs that actually effect gameplay and need to be fixed for everybody. But I guess supporting the hundreds of thousands of people that all purchased the game is less important than compensating a few individuals for a crappy optional skin. You never thought about that, did you? That maybe, just maybe, making sure the game is functional for everybody that paid full price for it instead of worrying about a silly extra skin that only a handful of people got and was free?

Actually it was promised with purchase and so part of the purchase. These people did purchase the skin.

I did think of other people wanting there bugs fixed. What I also thought of is Valve did not promise to fix all of the bugs.
They should of course, but they didn't promise to. They did promise that these people would get a free skin with purchase of the game. Making the skin part of the transaction.

These people are more entitled to their free skin than you are your bug fixes.

You just didn't get the skin so you don't care.

Prankman
09-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Actually it was promised with purchase and so part of the purchase. These people did purchase the skin.

I did think of other people wanting there bugs fixed. What I also thought of is Valve did not promise to fix all of the bugs.
They should of course, but they didn't promise to. They did promise that these people would get a free skin with purchase of the game. Making the skin part of the transaction.

These people are more entitled to their free skin than you are your bug fixes.

You just didn't get the skin so you don't care.

Ahahaha yeah no, the people who paid $50 of their hard-earned cash for their game certainly deserve a game that works properly more than a handful of people deserve to be compensated for a free skin. A car dealership doesn't delay a recall of a model of car because there's something functionally wrong with that model just to compensate a few people who didn't get their free complimentary scented pine tree, now do they?

And no, the skin is not part of the transaction. It did not cost any extra money to the one purchasing the game, therefore it is not included in that transaction. Its called a pre-order bonus for a reason.

As far as promises are concerned? The very fact that we bought Portal 2 means that Valve has automatically promised a certain standard of quality for us. I'm not saying that they need to pump out content and bug fixes every single day, but they are expected to ensure that the game we paid for is functioning as advertised. Portal 2 isn't exactly bogged down by glitches and game-breaking bugs, to be sure, but there are quite a few other things of worth that Valve could be doing (fixing the menu music glitch, finishing the DLC up, giving us add-on support and the full Hammer Editor version, just to name a few) that are vastly more important than some guy and his stupid optional skin.

Besides all that, En Ex is probably correct. Valve is probably including this fix in the first DLC that they're working on. It'd make a hell of a lot more sense to just include it with that at this point than do anything else. It'd probably be for the best, too; the last thing I want to see if Portal 2 updating only to find out that it is not, in fact, the DLC but rather just a fix for a skin. That'd just be begging for trouble.

Oh, and Valve Time. We can't forget Valve Time.

Really, though, sometimes it feels like people just aren't satisfied with anything. Dead Island was just released and was not only released in Developer's Mode, but had a truckload of other bugs to boot that effect the gameplay. Portal 2 was released and had next to no game-altering bugs, and the only "new" bug has been the menu music. Holy hell, people! Be glad you can play Portal 2! Be glad the only "major" glitches so far are entirely cosmetic! Or would you rather have the game be freezing up during plot-relevant scenes and no-clipping through random walls? Be glad a mother-loving ugly ♥♥♥ skin is among the worst bugs in the game. Do you know how many other game companies are probably envious of that?

kraken
09-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Wow, the reactions in this thread are astonishing.
Calm down guys, I didn't eat any of your children. I only wanted to know if there was any news about that bug.
It's not like I was throwing a tantrum or asking for compensation or whatever...

tin
09-19-2011, 09:20 PM
It's not like I was throwing a tantrum or asking for compensation or whatever...

Other people keep doing that though. I think that's why so many people instantly react by saying it's silliness.