PDA

View Full Version : How do you play gambit?

Dinodragon
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I bought this game during the sale a few days ago and I have absolutely no idea how to play gambit. Either the game does a really bad job at explaining or I'm just plain stupid. The game says that I should read my opponent but I have no idea how.

Is there some particular skill or is it completely random and luck based?

Musenik
09-20-2011, 04:58 PM
'read your opponent' means having read the story bits, decide if the opponent is more BRAZEN in style, more SMOOTH, or more DEVIOUS. Knowing that helps you to guess how he or she will play their tokens. Opponents will always play their highest token in their personal style.

This was mentioned in the tutorial, but it's a pretty different concept. Yes, the tutorial could be a lot better, but it also might drag out so long as to annoy. Always a difficult thing to determine.

h4ngedm4n
10-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I love gambit. It is my favorite part of this game! With that said, its largely a mind game versus the computer. The main thing to keep understand is that the order top to bottom matters in terms of figuring out what takes effect and what gets blocked by the previous row.

kevinski
04-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Here's a detailed description of how Gambit works, straight from one of the game's developers:

Thanks for purchasing our game! I'm happy to explain things. Yes, the gambit game is a bit tricky. There are two ways to approach it. The simple way is to guess. This is a valid strategy, just like Rock-Scissors-Paper. However, if you have better numbers than the opponent, then you have a better chance of winning even if you guess. You don't necessarily have to know the details.

That said, here are the details:

After you place your tokens, the game applies the rules associated with each position, from top to bottom, and tallies the tokens that survive the rules.

The Brazen rule is checked first. Any token placed here is always scored on the tally. Any token placed in the Smooth position by the opponent is blocked from being tallied.

The Smooth rule is similar to the Brazen rule, except only tokens that survive the Brazen rule are tallied and used to block tokens in the opponent's Devious position.

The Devious rule applies to tokens that survived the Smooth rule. However, instead of tallying the token in the Devious position, any points tallied for the opponent from the Brazen position are subtracted from the opponent and added to your tally. It really is very devious!

Now, the trick to playing is to guess your opponent's personality. Brazen opponents play their highest token brazenly. Smooth characters play the smooth position,... and so on.

With that knowledge, a player who wants to challenge himself can form strategies that give them an even stronger advantage. Be sure to read what an opponent says, to give you a clue about their personality.

Feel free to post the above information for your friends and others.

Sorry for the late response. I just figured that this might be useful.