PDA

View Full Version : fun game but shame about...

Jumbles
09-21-2011, 06:26 PM
the religious undertones and other 'subtle' messages.

spiderlocmtgo
09-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that is very silly and unnecessary and a great way to push away potential customers... I played the demo and the game was very simple/easy, but possibly worth 2.50. As it is though, I'll be skipping this one.

Jumbles
09-21-2011, 07:17 PM
it does get much harder. especially when you speak British English as opposed to american English!

inspiral66
09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
What religious undertones? Seriously, I must have missed them!

Jumbles
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
the frequent use of words like praise honor (us spelling) lord...

inspiral66
09-22-2011, 01:41 PM
That's weird, I don't recall seeing any of those. Maybe it's subliminal? Interesting. Anyway, can't sit here thinking about it all day, I need to go and sacrifice a lamb to the lord Jehovah.

...Wait a minute!

spiderlocmtgo
09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Heaven (hint: opposite of hell) was also there in the demo.

inspiral66
09-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Damn (pardon my language), now I'm seeing religious references all the time. Worship, mercy, praise, abhorrent... Such words probably only account for, like, one percent of the game's lexicon, but it's still more than you'd reasonably expect. My guess is the game was part-funded by a church group or the dev (or devs) thought it'd be cool to take the good fight into the world of video games. I'm kind of amused by it.

Anyway, I've only got to earn one more badge and I probably won't play it anymore. Mind you, the bonus puzzles feature subjects such as countries, capitals and US states, so I might see if my young daughter will play them. Good for her education, y'know?

Jumbles
09-22-2011, 05:38 PM
i'm only a couple of badges away too which despite my objection to the religiousness does make me think that, when it comes down to it, this is actually a pretty good game.

Menacia
09-23-2011, 01:37 PM
I haven't played it a lot yet, but so far no such undertones here....
apart from that it's a good game and more fun than I could've imagined when I picked it up.

inspiral66
09-23-2011, 05:13 PM
I haven't played it a lot yet, but so far no such undertones here....
apart from that it's a good game and more fun than I could've imagined when I picked it up.

I must admit, had Jumble not mentioned it I probably wouldn't have picked up on the religious undertones as they are very subtle.

I got my final badge today, so 100% achievements, several hours of fun and a nice sense of accomplishment for just a few quid. Can't complain. If the devs were looking for suggestions to improve the game I'd suggest an option where the player can toggle Wordsworth off as he gets in the way sometimes, and also, when clicking on falling tokens, I clicked on the menu or tip button. The screen feels a bit crowded. Finally I'd suggest they add some contrast to the blocks and backgrounds. Those pastel shades meant I occasionally struggled to see what was going on, especially when completed words were fizzing and flaring and there were stars cascading down everywhere.

jakj
09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
I've completed the first 29 primary stages and haven't seen a single one. You people need to get a grip on yourselves and stop seeing your pet conspiracy theories amongst innocent events. It's a freaking dictionary-based game. Are you going to call Webster's English Dictionary guilty of religious overtones because you get these words if you open to random pages and point with your eyes closed?

I repeat: Get a damn grip on yourselves.

inspiral66
09-25-2011, 08:07 AM
I've completed the first 29 primary stages and haven't seen a single one. You people need to get a grip on yourselves and stop seeing your pet conspiracy theories amongst innocent events. It's a freaking dictionary-based game. Are you going to call Webster's English Dictionary guilty of religious overtones because you get these words if you open to random pages and point with your eyes closed?

Oh, calm down.

KarstenOkkerman
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Scrabble-type game, OR MASSIVE RELIGIOUS CONSPIRACY?

Eon the Wolf
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Damn (pardon my language), now I'm seeing religious references all the time. Worship, mercy, praise, abhorrent... Such words probably only account for, like, one percent of the game's lexicon, but it's still more than you'd reasonably expect. My guess is the game was part-funded by a church group or the dev (or devs) thought it'd be cool to take the good fight into the world of video games. I'm kind of amused by it.

Anyway, I've only got to earn one more badge and I probably won't play it anymore. Mind you, the bonus puzzles feature subjects such as countries, capitals and US states, so I might see if my young daughter will play them. Good for her education, y'know?
"Only account for like 1% but its more than you'd reasonably expect" ....How does that make ANY ♥♥♥♥ing sense?!

This. Haven't played the game, but I've played the demo...
Oh, calm down.
...Yeah, no...Jak's right.

inspiral66
02-10-2012, 02:47 PM
"Only account for like 1% but its more than you'd reasonably expect" ....How does that make ANY ♥♥♥♥ing sense?!

This. Haven't played the game, but I've played the demo...

...Yeah, no...Jak's right.

"Only account for like 1% but its more than you'd reasonably expect" ....How does that make ANY ♥♥♥♥ing sense?!" Eh? What don't you understand?

I like how you've played the demo and thus feel qualified to be sarky and dismiss the opinions of those that have played it all the way through. Riiight.

PredawnDwarf
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
My dictionary has words like Bible, Lord, Cross, Heaven and Sacred in it. I just now realized the religious undertones

KarstenOkkerman
02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
My dictionary has words like Bible, Lord, Cross, Heaven and Sacred in it. I just now realized the religious undertones

Exactly, because judeo-christian religion invented these words. {sarcasm alert}

jakj
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I bought and finished the game quite some time ago, as you can verify with my Steam achievements list. My final assessment is this:

Anyone who says this game has religious overtones is STILL a moron. It's a dictionary-based game. Continue to attempt to get a grip.

Jumbles
02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Anyone who says this game has religious overtones is STILL a moron. It's a dictionary-based game. Continue to attempt to get a grip.

Anyone who says this game doesn't have religious overtones is the kind of person that thinks Republican presidential candidates are sane!

PredawnDwarf
02-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Anyone who says this game doesn't have religious overtones is the kind of person that thinks Republican presidential candidates are sane!

Implying that any american presidential candidate is sane?

Also, I found this toy that is a half naked man from Rambo. It's amazing they can sell it with all those homoerotic undertones

Definer
02-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Scrabble-type game, OR MASSIVE RELIGIOUS CONSPIRACY?
Why are you copy pasting TotalBiscuit's twitter message without even quoting it? No doubt you're going around lifting passages from authors all day.

KarstenOkkerman
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Why are you copy pasting TotalBiscuit's twitter message without even quoting it? No doubt you're going around lifting passages from authors all day.

Pretty sure everyone already knew about that post, as he redirected 90% of the people that are coming here now. Could have made it a real quote, but haters gonna hate.