PDA

View Full Version : Bit of internet advice please :)

llyndred
09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
hi guys wasnt sure weather to post this here or not.

UK btw

just got fibre optic installed the other day the engineer who called to install it turned out to be my cousin said our previous broadband wasnt installed properly so he said he fixed it and everything was working great getting like 30 something MB and all lights were on no problem.

recently the ADSL light has been blinking and i cant get it to stop, the dongle on the back of my computer is blinking aswell it was pretty fast for a while but has slowed down now, i did a speed test on my ISP speed test said i was getting 17.22 MB then on speedtest got 14 something MB.

anything i can do to try get the ADSL light on? i dont have much knowledge of fibre optic so any help is appreciated

thanks alot

caveman26
09-23-2011, 03:59 PM
fibre optic is virgin or the new bt line
adsl is done over phone lines which one do you have and who is your isp

what make is your router modem dongle

www.speedtest.net do 3 on diff servers post results here
www.pingtest.net

llyndred
09-23-2011, 04:22 PM
fibre optic is virgin or the new bt line
adsl is done over phone lines which one do you have and who is your isp

what make is your router modem dongle

www.speedtest.net do 3 on diff servers post results here
www.pingtest.net

sorry forgot to add that info !

my ISP is TalkTalk and i think the line is BT as the engineer was a BT engineer, Router is a Echolife 6gh12 i think and dongle is Belkin.

first test was
9.07mbps and upload speed 1.62 mbps (quite low for some reason)
12.96 Mbps and upload speed 1.68
12.21 Mbps and upload speed 1.69

the speed was rather low this time for some reason

Ping is 55ms i had to do dublin i live in northern ireland so its not exactly me lol

THE Nakedgun
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
I assume by "dongle" you are using the dongle to connect wireless to the router? If so try hard wiring with ethernet cable see if it improves.

llyndred
09-23-2011, 04:52 PM
i plan to but gotta buy one first long enough to reach downstairs.

i did another speed test just now its faster with steam closed it blinks faster when downloading it looks like it but not always. i dont think it should be blinking at all.

and yep its wireless

gone up to around 14 mbps now.

YahooElite
09-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Blinking probably has to do with Internet Activity, in which case its supposed to do that.

caveman26
09-23-2011, 11:45 PM
ADSL should be plugged into you master socket phone line with the micro filter then the modem no exstention leads as this can affect your speeds

If you can run a speed test with an Ethernet cable connected and see if it improves

llyndred
09-24-2011, 04:18 AM
ill try get one today but it has to be one long enough can i get a really long one for cheap enough?

id like the ethernet cable better :)

THE Nakedgun
09-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Can get 10 meter ethernet cables quite cheap you might be better extending the phone line andhaving the router closer to your cmputer thatswhat I did, phone wire is also dirt cheap and alot thinner than ethernet so easier to hide and clip to skirtings.

caveman26
09-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Having a phone extension cable can make you lose download speed and have had ppl come to me cuz of this it is better to have a longer Ethernet cable than a phone cable

THE Nakedgun
09-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Having a phone extension cable can make you lose download speed and have had ppl come to me cuz of this it is better to have a longer Ethernet cable than a phone cable

The distance is so small Its negligable and because you install it yourself you can maintain it, in my case its litterally another 10 meters. I loose about 6Mbit of speed form a max of 20mbit form the exchange to my house which is about 1000 meters. Do the math its soemthing like 0.09Mbit or less.