PDA

View Full Version : For those who are running other than Linux/POSIX compliant OS.

Antti FINFL
12-24-2004, 07:10 AM
I suggest you to change your FreeBSDs, NetBSDs, OpenBSDs and other non 100% POSIX compliant *NIXs to Linux. Steam linux Server-client is intend to run on GNU/Linux and i686 or amd64 prosessors.

If you're having little or any experience from Unixes and still want to run one. Then I suggest to get standard Linux.

Linuxes for beginners are Fedora, Suse, Mandrake.

For advanced peopIe suggest to use Debian or it's variants.

Those who really want to get familiar with their system and want best performance. I suggest to use Gentoo, Arch or similiar.

I don't cover prosessors here. c

I don't say that you couldn't do that on BDS or some other *NIX it's just a level and skill that is requed for it. If you don't have enought skill then change to easier system.

I personally run OpenDarwin, NetBSD, Gentoo Linux and WindowsXP Professional on my amd64 computer.

rh_fang
12-24-2004, 08:02 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Linux in general is not POSIX-compliant, but certain distributions are. The only distro I know of off the top of my head is POSIX-compliant is Debian. Also, the only areas of POSIX noncompliance for FreeBSD are in the selection of applications; I believe the kernel is fully API-compliant.

P.S. I heard OpenDarwin runs very slowly on x86. Can you confirm or deny this?

Antti FINFL
12-31-2004, 07:34 AM
OpenDarwin is fast when using certain HW. If you don't have HW that darwin supports, but you are still able to install and run it is slow.

However if you have supported HW in your PC. And you can get it working, it will be fast as MacOSX on PPC. I have Amd64 and I am able to run Darwin really fast. I have some problems with Mach kernel however.

Linux kernel is POSIX compiant. But like you said, every GNu distro that comes with Linux kernel aren't fully POSIX-compliant.

if you want you can get Debian that is fully POSIX compliant, but it isn't only distro.
eCos for example. http://www.xyroth-enterprises.co.uk/posixos.htm for more info.

(By the Way. You could be more accurate. Linux, Gnu/Linux and GNu have their differences.)

freeBSD aims to be POSIX compliant, but there are differences. I read somewhere that there aren't fully compatible POSIX distro. Every one differences somehow. But main differences are in core programs. And kernels.