PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me sprinting is gone..as well as sights..

DarkShadowRage
09-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Cause that isn't like sam at all... ._. Sam is all about firing from the hip and running and gunning...if there is sprinting i can't run and gun..

Gamer_Kought
09-28-2011, 01:22 PM
No, you can't SPRINT and gun. You can still run and gun all you want. The iron sights are for pinpoint accuracy at long ranges. Shooting from the hip is still perfectly accurate.

Croteam know what they're doing. Relax and see for yourself. :)

DarkShadowRage
09-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't like sprinting at all, and sights don't belong in SS games it just doesn't feel right.

Ditch sprint and bring back auto run so i can bolt at like 50mph around my enemy blasting them to bits. get rid of sights and bring back zoom.

bailinbone15
09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that sights don't actually do anything, they just make it easier to line up enemies at a range.

Here's a source, no idea how reputable it is
http://www.giantbomb.com/serious-sam-3-bfe/61-26445/

skyefyre
09-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Sprinting is in addition to Sam's regular speed. So in addition to being able to circle strafe and blow apart Mental's hordes, you'll be able to sprint to go even faster.

Also, the sights generally replace the sniper rifle's scope. It just lets you hit enemies that are farther away, it doesn't make your shots more accurate. So, once again, perfectly accurate.

DarkShadowRage
09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Sprinting is in addition to Sam's regular speed. So in addition to being able to circle strafe and blow apart Mental's hordes, you'll be able to sprint to go even faster.

Also, the sights generally replace the sniper rifle's scope. It just lets you hit enemies that are farther away, it doesn't make your shots more accurate. So, once again, perfectly accurate.

Sprinting offers nothing if i can't shoot while i'm running, it does nothing that auto run can't do except allow you to shoot while escaping or going around an enemy. it's a useless gameplay mechanic.

skyefyre
09-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Sprinting offers nothing if i can't shoot while i'm running, it does nothing that auto run can't do except allow you to shoot while escaping or going around an enemy. it's a useless gameplay mechanic.

It's meant for players to be able to traverse long distances in a shorter amount of time. The maps in SS3 are larger than the largest in the previous games. Imagine this: You've just finished smoking Mental's hordes (yet again) and you've found that during your battle you've ended up way out off partly in the desert. Rather than usually using Sam's normal speed to cover the distance to the next slaughter, you can run there. Fewer time running to the next horde, and more time killing said horde.

It's not a useless mechanic.

DarkShadowRage
09-28-2011, 04:27 PM
It's meant for players to be able to traverse long distances in a shorter amount of time. The maps in SS3 are larger than the largest in the previous games. Imagine this: You've just finished smoking Mental's hordes (yet again) and you've found that during your battle you've ended up way out off partly in the desert. Rather than usually using Sam's normal speed to cover the distance to the next slaughter, you can run there. Fewer time running to the next horde, and more time killing said horde.

It's not a useless mechanic.

Autorun, let me run like the road runner like in previous games, and i can blow ♥♥♥♥ up a long the way. I hate having to put my gun down to run like a ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ marine.

ChrisW
09-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Sprinting is in addition to the normal run/walk speeds, not a replacement.

DarkShadowRage
09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Sprinting is in addition to the normal run/walk speeds, not a replacement.

It is a replacement, in games before, you had an option you could move normally or hold shift to start running. Or you could just avoid that together and have autorun on and be moving at max speeds constantly not walking at all.

basically, they replaced autorun with sprint or holding the shift key down to run. that's what it is.

Farlong
09-28-2011, 07:03 PM

THEN DON'T USE IT.

Why whine about it if its a superfluous feature you're not going to use?

ChrisW
09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
basically, they replaced autorun with sprint or holding the shift key down to run. that's what it is.
No they did not. You still have the normal run speed that you have in the original games. Sprint is just a faster run than that.

Symbiotic
09-28-2011, 07:57 PM
DarkShadowRage, you're a damned moron. Get out of here. I'm glad that you think that it isn't like a Serious Sam game to have a sprint or gun sights feature, but I'm sure you may have noticed by now that no one gives a ♥♥♥♥ what you think about it. If you don't like it, as Farlong stated, don't use it.

The time it takes to traverse in previous Serious Sam games is indeed something I did not like. The addition of gun sights means absolutely nothing and helps little if at all. The sniper rifle had a scope, right? Get over it.

DarkShadowRage
09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
DarkShadowRage, you're a damned moron. Get out of here. I'm glad that you think that it isn't like a Serious Sam game to have a sprint or gun sights feature, but I'm sure you may have noticed by now that no one gives a ♥♥♥♥ what you think about it. If you don't like it, as Farlong stated, don't use it.

The time it takes to traverse in previous Serious Sam games is indeed something I did not like. The addition of gun sights means absolutely nothing and helps little if at all. The sniper rifle had a scope, right? Get over it.

Lol, you know why i don't like it? I'll tell you why, ITS IN EVERY GOD DAMN FPS GAME ON THE MOTHER ♥♥♥♥IN MARKET TODAY.

MADDOGGE
09-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Lol, you know why i don't like it? I'll tell you why, ITS IN EVERY GOD DAMN FPS GAME ON THE MOTHER ♥♥♥♥IN MARKET TODAY.But the SS games aren't like the modern average pos FPS games we get these days. I'm looking at you, you pos sellout DNF, or should I say CoD with Duke skins. The SS games are old school run and gun. He is "worried" about how the iron sites will effect the traditional game play especially after the cluster ♥♥♥♥ that turned out to be that God awful DNF.

SS3 is fine though so no need to worry. Doesn't matter anyway because it's only on 2 weapons that don't have scopes anyway. Use it or not, it's player choice and has absolutely no effect on the other weapons.

DarkShadowRage
09-29-2011, 05:17 AM
But the SS games aren't like the modern average pos FPS games we get these days. I'm looking at you, you pos sellout DNF, or should I say CoD with Duke skins. The SS games are old school run and gun. He is "worried" about how the iron sites will effect the traditional game play especially after the cluster ♥♥♥♥ that turned out to be that God awful DNF.

SS3 is fine though so no need to worry. Doesn't matter anyway because it's only on 2 weapons that don't have scopes anyway. Use it or not, it's player choice and has absolutely no effect on the other weapons.

Don't get me wrong i'm still looking forward to SS3, it just bugs me when they say they are going totally old school but include these features...

skyefyre
09-29-2011, 05:47 AM
If they included a sniper rifle that had a zoom you wouldn't complain. Why? Because they already did it.

They included a rifle that has a zoom, except this zoom doesn't just turn into a typical sniper scope zoom, it's actually displayed like the whole iron sight mechanic.

As you can see, it does the same thing as the sniper rifle did in TSE, it just looks differently cosmetically (and fires like an assault rifle). Stop and break things down, they're quite similar.

Your running speed from previous Serious Sam games is still the same, in addition to that though they included a sprinting feature so you could run even faster so you could get to more things to kill!

The core gameplay is intact, they've just updated it a bit without actually altering what they've already established. Can you run & gun against hordes of enemies while shooting from the hip? Absolutely!

It's old school.

If you look at the previous Serious Sam games (2 excluded) you'll see they did the same thing. The first one came out, people were elated. When TSE's features started to be revealed people started to cringe. I remember reading "A sniper rifle?! Great! It wants to be Halo", and other assorted comments on it's "features". Guess what? TSE turned out to be even more well recieved than TFE.

I'll agree that I was nervous at first, but I have confidence that Croteam can execute these "new features" without altering that "oldschool" feel.

DarkShadowRage
09-29-2011, 06:44 AM
If they included a sniper rifle that had a zoom you wouldn't complain. Why? Because they already did it.

They included a rifle that has a zoom, except this zoom doesn't just turn into a typical sniper scope zoom, it's actually displayed like the whole iron sight mechanic.

As you can see, it does the same thing as the sniper rifle did in TSE, it just looks differently cosmetically (and fires like an assault rifle). Stop and break things down, they're quite similar.

Your running speed from previous Serious Sam games is still the same, in addition to that though they included a sprinting feature so you could run even faster so you could get to more things to kill!

The core gameplay is intact, they've just updated it a bit without actually altering what they've already established. Can you run & gun against hordes of enemies while shooting from the hip? Absolutely!

It's old school.

If you look at the previous Serious Sam games (2 excluded) you'll see they did the same thing. The first one came out, people were elated. When TSE's features started to be revealed people started to cringe. I remember reading "A sniper rifle?! Great! It wants to be Halo", and other assorted comments on it's "features". Guess what? TSE turned out to be even more well recieved than TFE.

I'll agree that I was nervous at first, but I have confidence that Croteam can execute these "new features" without altering that "oldschool" feel.

I have no problem with sniper rifle scopes because it makes sense...I don't mind zooming on a gun if it has a scope on it. but looking through iron sights taking up my whole god damn screen is annoying. Just give me a simple ZOOM feature and i'd be set.

I'm just an old school purist that's all, I gave this new stuff a shot before, I didn't like it. And now that it's in EVERY single game on the market I can't stand it.

"OH WE ARE GONNA MAKE THIS GAME GO BACK TO ITS ROOTS!...but we are going to include MODERN FEATURES!" ....that isn't going back to it's roots..

Again, the reason I HATE sprinting is because while i'm moving at HIGH SPEEDS i cannot shoot my gun at the same time because they put the gun down like a damn marine while running. In order to take a shot I can still keep moving, but I HAVE TO STOP dashing in order to do so. I might as well just stand still and let them shoot me.

I played A lot of quake and unreal and serious sam as well as doom, Duke 3D, blood and all the good shooters.

Serious Sam is an arcade twitch shooter, when you throw modern bull crap into an arcade style shooter you get a mess that was Duke Nukem Forever, trying to mix old with the new does NOT work.

You either do one or the other, don't do both at the same time to compensate for the casual morons out there.

Thankfully Serious Sam 3 is i believe going to have mod tools out the gate so...maybe I can work with a few modders to remove these features.

I know they are small little features, but they bug the hell out of me because they are in EVERY SINGLE GAME. I have to go back to the classic shooters just to get away from it. I still love my classics but I miss being able to run at like 80 mph while keeping my steady aim. It isn't realistic but god damn it who cares? ITS FUN!

Mr.F
09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I know they are small little features, but they bug the hell out of me because they are in EVERY SINGLE GAME.

What the hell? That is NOT a valid reason to hate something and you know that (at least I hope you do). It's like saying, "I HATE TREES", then, when asked as to why, "BECAUSE THEY'RE EVERYWHERE".

You know what else is in every single game that's coming out nowadays? Guns, shot from a first person perspective. And I don't see you complaining about how FPS games are the cancer killing gaming and whatnot.

Have you ever stopped and considered about how these two features might actually play out in a game like this, before outright hating them simply because they're there? As others have already said, both sprinting and aiming down sights are completely optional features that do not change the established (in previous games) gameplay in any meaningful way. Sprinting makes you go even faster than the usual running speed (as fast as in previous games), while ADS zooms in a little while enhancing the already pin-point accuracy when shooting from the hip.

You'll be able to play the game just fine without using either the sights or sprinting, and complete it just as happily as any other Serious Sam game. You don't have waste time modding them out, as you can simply not press shift to sprint or MOUSE2 to aim down sights (or unbind them completely in the options menu, alternatively).

I really hope this post doesn't fly right above your head as pretty much every single other post in this thread.

Anotherwrld
09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
DarkShadowRage gets a 4/10.

-Sprint is for when you've killed all the enemies so you can advance to the next area faster (or prevent you from wasting time looking for secret areas)

-ADS is entirely cosmetic for every weapon except the Sniper Rifle

EDIT: Darn, look at that, about 10 people Ninja'd me. Fancy that.

MADDOGGE
09-29-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm just an old school purist that's all, I gave this new stuff a shot before, I didn't like it. And now that it's in EVERY single game on the market I can't stand it.

Trust me they haven't ruined it. This is not another DNF where they forgot what they were doing. CroTeam have not in any way compromised the game. This is a real SS game just like the first two. You will find the sprint sprint:) quite useful on occasion but like has been said you never need use either the even faster sprint or iron sights ever. It won't spoil it in any way for you if you to play it just like you do FE and SE.

Lulzator
09-30-2011, 05:03 AM
They're minor features of the game, it still has the same guns, same health, same en masse gameplay so stop trying to make a huge deal out of nothing.

MADDOGGE
09-30-2011, 06:31 AM
They're minor features of the game, it still has the same guns, same health, same en masse gameplay so stop trying to make a huge deal out of nothing.I don't think the OP is out to make a big deal of of nothing. Frankly, as you can tell, I'm extremely bitter over what happened with DNF after waiting over a decade for it. To have them ruin it for me by doing what they did with no concern for the DN3D fans was an abomination imo. I think in the same vein, the OP is concerned rightfully so in todays developer climate about how these optional additions will effect traditional gameplay. All these reboots we get anymore are usually such sell outs to the casual players anymore that I don't think the OP is out of line showing some concern. He obviously likes the gameplay mechanics of FE & SE and doesn't want that spoiled for him as happened for me with DNF.

All I can repeat though is that they are totally optional features and never have to be used by the player unless they want to, ever.

Cunin
10-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah I think DNF and SS3 are two different ways of doing the same thing, which is modernizing a game.
The only difference is that DNF totally failed at that, making the game not only not modern but also not fun. SS3, on the other hand, has shown how you can make an old-school shooter modern without sacrificing its roots.

Also, there are 2 things to consider:
1) This isn't a mod for TFE, TSE or SS2. It's a new game, so it WILL be different. Don't expect to have the same game just with different levels.
2) The game is not out yet. Please at least try it before complaining.

MADDOGGE
10-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Oh agreed Cunin, SS3 is still wonderfully unmistakably a SS game. New graphics, some additional new enemies types to add to the mix of old, a few optional abilities for the player but in the end there is no doubt what you are playing. While I personally like SS2 and would love them to eventually offer it on Steam, it never really felt like a real SS game for me. A little too silly if totally funny!:D This is not a problem with SS3. SS3 is totally serious fun!;)

bdo7
10-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm sure that both sprint and iron sights can simply be unbound from any keys in the options menu. Problem solved.

Many people have pointed out that Sam will move just as fast as in the old games when he's NOT sprinting. If that's true (and I'm not sure what the source is for the info, bu w/e), then it completely invalidates the OP's repeated argument that he "can't play it like he used to." Yeah, you can. Just don't sprint, and it will be just like old times. On the other hand, if Sam were NOT able to run and gun at his former speed, then yes, they broke it. We'll have to see.

At least they're not forcing us to play in third person. Now, THAT is "the cancer that is killing gaming." (Well, actually, it's the #2 killer after consoles, of course.) :)

P.S. I'll second the vote for putting SS2 up on Steam. Been saying that forever. I loved that game. "Too silly," really? Like there's nothing "silly" about ALL the Serious Sam games?? Good grief.

"I have no head, but... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

Gimme a break. :D

MADDOGGE
10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
P.S. I'll second the vote for putting SS2 up on Steam. Been saying that forever. I loved that game. "Too silly," really? Like there's nothing "silly" about ALL the Serious Sam games?? Good grief.

"I have no head, but... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"

Gimme a break. :DLOL, Sorry but imo it's way silly compared to FE & SE.:p :D:D:D

mesaone
10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Lol, you know why i don't like it? I'll tell you why, ITS IN EVERY GOD DAMN FPS GAME ON THE MOTHER ♥♥♥♥IN MARKET TODAY.

well, there's bread in every sandwich too. People like bread in their sandwiches. You're free to throw out the bread, or ummm just unbind the aim-down-sights and sprint keys. You know that right?

If you don't like the direction the developers took the series, then that's unfortunate. You can still play the old school games that you already like, since you're a "purist". Were SSHD 1st and 2nd encounters more to your liking? That's what I would consider new features with old-school gameplay, but then again you might think differently