PDA

View Full Version : My Driver San Francisco 1 hour impressions.

acidburn1942
09-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Sorry too much classwork to get more time in till the weekend. Yet if your looking for a quick and honest impression to determine if you want to buy this game then here is mine!

First I am sure all of you wonder WTF is up with this coma nonsense and the new shift mechanic....really what were they thinging??!?!

Well let me assure you they pull off the presentation of this story, and this mechanic PERFECTLY. No more shall be said on this to not ruin any of the experience.

The driving is fun and reminds of me of the drift heavy driving in Driver 1. The best part is they have an In-car dash view. Tanners hands actually move accordingly to a 900 degree wheel rotation, moving hand over hand. Also when you handbrake his hand moves down to the handbrake. AWESOME touches here.

I have not unlocked much yet, nor played many story missions. The game seems fairly open world, and it looks like its going to have the standard bonus missions (time trials, races, etc) but with an extra twist because of the shift/coma presentation.

The story missions are really where this game is going to shine at though. Honestly it is because of the story/coma/shift and the way they present it and use it as an interactive story telling device.

So far I have not run into too much I do not like, but this impression is for people who know Driver, who know driving games, or are curious at least about the weird shift/coma aspect. Play by play of the flaws/pros will have to be found elsewhere, but might I suggest you find them yourself by buying and playing the game.

J__Lo
09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for that info...+1 rep.

Fred DM
09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
so... you didn't notice that HDR (or whatever) is missing and the PC version looks way worse and years older than the console version?!? :confused:

Zeev
09-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Ppl needs to know about MP.
Most of use already played SP :rolleyes:

dannythefool
09-30-2011, 01:56 AM
so... you didn't notice that HDR (or whatever) is missing and the PC version looks way worse and years older than the console version?!? :confused:

Sooo how would you know what the console version looks like ;-) I'm pretty sure my PS3 couldn't do antialiased 1920x1080 either...

acidburn1942
09-30-2011, 02:46 AM
pc version looks fine. haven't tried multiplayer yet

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Sooo how would you know what the console version looks like ;-)

i played the demo on my PS3, d'oh. :rolleyes: the two and a half thousand screenshots taken from the console versions all over the net might give you a hint as well...

I'm pretty sure my PS3 couldn't do antialiased 1920x1080 either...
yeah, well, technically the PC-version is a joke:
1. limited selection of resolutions: no resolution above 1080p is selectable. where's 1200p?
2. no support for 16:10 and 4:3 aspect ratio.
3. AA can only be enabled/disabled, and is hardly noticeable at all. forcing it doesn't seem to have much of an effect, either.
4. the PC-version is either lacking HDR completely or has at least half the lighting missing.

dannythefool
09-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Well I saw this one: http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-driver-san-francisco-analysis/
And this one: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/driver-san-francisco-ps3-360-face-off

Do you actually prefer that blurred look the PS3 version has?

As for higher resolutions, you said it was worse than consoles so that argument doesn't really work...

ShTuPm
09-30-2011, 05:29 AM
MP is kinda fun. The problem is there ain't much people around to enjoy it with. It's like the only lobby type that has players is FFA with TAG and Traiblazer modes. I've never seen ANYONE in Teams or Takedown modes so far. I was sitting around in the lobby while the game was searching for opponents and it never actually found any.

So then I've played Tag and trailblazer for 40 minutes and then went to play SP. By the way, Trailblazer and Tag are fun when you're playing 3-4 players. But when it's 5-8 players, it's a complete cesspool because everybody shifts like crazy, myself included and spend most of their time crashing into each other. I have no idea how I've managed to win so many of them :P

Also, whats up with the lobby splitting? I've found 3 different random lobbies with 2-3 people there and not a single one that was fully stocked. Not by a long shot.

My personal opinion is that nobody trusts Reflections with the Driver series anymore and that is why there are such low sales figures @ steam store which results in a low amount of players online. And i can't blame them, too. The last good game in the series that i remember was released in 1999. And before you say it - Driver PL was a very mediocre game if you ask me. So if I'm wrong, then the majority of players actually preferred to play on their PS3 and Xbox360 instead of PC. Probably should have done the same, because apart from FFA lobbies, the other ones are like ghost towns :P

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Well I saw this one: http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-driver-san-francisco-analysis/
And this one: http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/driver-san-francisco-ps3-360-face-off

Do you actually prefer that blurred look the PS3 version has?

As for higher resolutions, you said it was worse than consoles so that argument doesn't really work...

i'm not talking about resolutions, i'm talking about lighting: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2381087925/m/2961085059

the higher resolutions that the PC-version is capable of doesn't make the game look better since the lighting is completely broken.

if you still profess not to notice anything strange with the PC-version, take another look at all the official promo screenshots...

dannythefool
09-30-2011, 07:09 AM
if you still profess not to notice anything strange with the PC-version, take another look at all the official promo screenshots...

Ok so basically it's too dark?! How is that even a valid complaint? You're showing me footage where the *PC version* is the one where you can even see the headlights of oncoming cars and the sky is not a washed out mess.

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Ok so basically it's too dark?! How is that even a valid complaint? You're showing me footage where the *PC version* is the one where you can even see the headlights of oncoming cars and the sky is not a washed out mess.

i give up. :rolleyes: i gave you the link to the thread in the official forums. the issue is explained there, and as you'd see if you'd taken a look at it, i'm not the only one who noticed it.

long story short: the PC version seems to be missing HDR. as a consequence, the visual mood of the game is entirely altered, shadows are too dark, the weather looks like it's constantly overcast and you can hardly read cockpit gauges. the game's ugly, and it looks like it's years older than it is.

if you honestly can't spot the differences even after you've compared PC footage to console footage, you ought to consult an optician stat!

dannythefool
09-30-2011, 08:27 AM
long story short: the PC version seems to be missing HDR. as a

I saw that the thread you posted claims this, but I don't see how the difference is making anything worse. I would expect HDR to look like what the PC version does, not what the PS3 version does...

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I saw that the thread you posted claims this, but I don't see how the difference is making anything worse.

have you actually played the PC-version at all? i noticed something was wrong with the lighting as soon as i started the game... you can actually see the difference in-game as the cinematic sequences have HDR since they had been pre-recorded.

I would expect HDR to look like what the PC version does, not what the PS3 version does...
wut? :confused: there's no sunshine in the game. you can hardly make out the cockpit gauges. shadows are pitchblack. that's what you'd expect?!? :confused:

DallsCowboys
09-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Check out this review, looks fine if you ask me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWJBZV9MGXc&feature=channel_video_title

dannythefool
09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
wut? :confused: there's no sunshine in the game. you can hardly make out the cockpit gauges. shadows are pitchblack. that's what you'd expect?!? :confused:

Well, it's not pitch black for me...

What does HDR do? It renders the scene pretending that there are colours darker than black, and colours brighter than white. Then it locally scales the resulting values to fit in the range of displayable intensities.

Let's look at the first set of pictures in the thread you linked.

One effect that I would expect from HDR rendering is that I'm able to identify cloud structures in the sky much more clearly. I definitely see that in the PC screenshot, whereas the console screenshot only has a washed out bluish-grey sky. There are similar highlights on the building's roof and windows where detail is only preserved in the PC screenshot.

Another effect that I'd expect is being able to see some level of detail in the cars' lights. Again, the lights in the console version blend into maximum intensity spots whereas the lights in the PC screenshot have detail. The lights of the other cars aren't even clearly visible in the console screenshot, whereas in the PC screenshot, the immediate area around the lights is dark enough to make the lights stand out.

Another is still being able to see details on the road when there's a shadow. This is hard to compare because I can't see much detail on the console screenshot anyway, with or without shadow. Still, I can see the grain in the PC screenshot. Even though the screenshot was scaled to 800 pixels width, which is less than what either system was probably running at, the PC image is clearly more detailed. (If you can't see the grain in the shadow, adjust your gamma...)

Yes, HDR rendering can make the scene seem darker overall, especially when the sky is near maximum intensity like in these screenshots - that'll cause the renderer to darken large parts of the scene which of course has a noticeable impact. It's after all only an attempt at simulating the human eye's adaption to different lighting conditions in different parts of the image you're seeing because the eye in reality only ever focuses on small bits of the scene. So when you look at an HDR rendered scene from too much of a distance, it'll look weird. Now I don't know if they implemented proper HDR rendering or just went with one of the ways to fake it or even just turned brightness down a notch, but the overall impression you'd get is what the PC screenshot shows.

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 10:26 AM
look at the screenshots here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/28/wot-i-think-driver-san-francisco/

that's what the game's supposed to look like, and that's what it in fact looks like on the consoles.

compare this to your own experience on the PC, to PC footage and screenshots. the PC-version looks cold, dark, the colors are too strong, it lacks all atmosphere.

the graphics in Driver games have always been about 'mood'. Parallel Lines did that very well: 1970s New York had a reddish tint and thus appeared warmer, corresponding to the protagonists hot-headed attitude in the spring of his life. modern New York had a blueish tint which gave the city a cold, hard appearance, corresponding to the aged protagonists desire for cold-served revenge.

dannythefool
09-30-2011, 11:17 AM
lol, the pictures in the article are from the official web site ;-)

Please produce actual game footage if you want to discuss this topic seriously...

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
lol, the pictures in the article are from the official web site ;-)

jesus christ, man, that's the point! :rolleyes: that's what the game is supposed to look like and what it indeed looks like on the consoles! :rolleyes:

i think you just implicitly admitted that the PC version doesn't look like that... :p

Please produce actual game footage if you want to discuss this topic seriously...
there's a few shots in the thread i linked to.

J__Lo
09-30-2011, 02:10 PM
i'm not talking about resolutions, i'm talking about lighting: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2381087925/m/2961085059

the higher resolutions that the PC-version is capable of doesn't make the game look better since the lighting is completely broken.

Don't know what you are talking about Fred. I think the OP in the link you supplied did not do a valid test.

PC monitor VS. TV screen for console.

Mine looks great on PC.

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I think the OP in the link you supplied did not do a valid test.

the test is simple: it consists of starting up the game on the PC. :rolleyes:

the OP in that thread was so kind as to provide a few screenshots, but it's not even necessary since that's what the PC version looks like for everyone. there's plenty of people in that thread (and in other threads in other forums) who confirm that the game looks the same for them.

if you claim your game looks different (as in: the way it should be), please post a screenshot or two.

if you still think the lighting is OK in the PC-version, drive downtown. the shadows of the skyscrapers make the streets so dark you can hardly even see the car you're driving in 3rd person view. it's ridiculous. and it doesn't happen on the PS3.

this is what the game looks like on PC: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/driver-san-francisco/bilder/original/46212,91941,2252516.html

and this is what it should look like: http://www.gamersglobal.de/sites/gamersglobal.de/files/galerie/5394/driversf_07_0.jpg

are you telling me you don't see a difference to the official screenshots and console footage?!? the PC version looks like it's a toy world.

J__Lo
09-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I put both images through my Nikon color spectrophotometer and the top photo has 8.371 times more contrast than the lower photo.

Since the top photo has more contrast, this equals greater detail between pixels.

You be the judge. I'm just stating facts.

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
here are some more comparisons: http://www.boerse.bz/multimedia/pc-spiele/889962-diskussionen-zu-driver-san-francisco-support-und-hilfe-16.html

here's a good video comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJ36GEQJ3g&feature=player_embedded

notice the pitch black shadows in the PC version and how it looks permanently overcast even on a sunny mid day.

I put both images through my Nikon color spectrophotometer and the top photo has 8.371 times more contrast than the lower photo.

Since the top photo has more contrast, this equals greater detail between pixels.

You be the judge. I'm just stating facts.
are you saying this is merely a matter of contrast? even if, since the game offers no such settings it would still be up to UbiSoft to patch it.

J__Lo
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Sure....patch it if you want less contrast....LOL :rolleyes:

Fred DM
09-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Sure....patch it if you want less contrast....LOL :rolleyes:

the game looks like ♥♥♥♥, so something has to be done. why would one version have 8 times more contrast than the other? i'd rather play the console version under these conditions. it looks infinitely better despite lower res and less AA.

Edit: it seems the film director has the correct settings as long as you leave the editing interface active. you can turn it on and off with [x] and see the difference for yourself. however, i can't say if this is simply a matter of brightness/contrast, or if there's more to it. the atmospheric sepia-filter seems to be absent from the PC-version in any case.

Nick757575
10-01-2011, 01:44 AM
This game has surprised me, as I thought it wouldn't be up to much. It's very good, I like the way how you can just get in some really cool car and just start going mental, doing handbrake turns and donuts left right & centre, completely disobeying the rules of the road! The car chases are awesome. Would so love to play this game with a wheel. I've read about people saying wheels aren't supported, but there are options for wheel settings in the game's controls menu??

gimpymoo
10-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Surprise of the year for me so far.

The missions are good fun and the shift mechanic does nothing but add to the game.

Anyone moaning about the shift mechanic simply has not played the game for long enough IMO.

This is better than TDU2 IMO for snadbox racing/larking around.

dannythefool
10-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Atmospheric filters are different depending on what mission you're playing :)

matcarfer
10-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I can confirm that after playing the DEMO on the 360 and PS3, the PC version looks like crap, no lightning effects and no HDR/Bloom

This game looks terrible on PC, I really prefer console versions, and despite that I hate bloom, the game uses it somewhat correctly on consoles.

Should be patches as soon as possible.

acidburn1942
10-08-2011, 01:25 AM
I just beat the game today. I think this is one of the games in the running for my Game of the Year. Kudos to Ubisoft Reflections.

Wetchaser
10-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Yea i was all set to jump in and defend the pc's honor till i actually looked at the screenshots. I see the difference and feel a little jaded but im telling you i have been having free time fun on the pc again. I want that shading thou, game looks weak for sure. Odd how i didn't notice till it was showed to me thou.

eXc@!i8uR
10-08-2011, 08:56 PM
dannythefool, you're obviously in denial of people saying that the PC version graphics is crap, when they are just simply stating a fact, which is yes, the graphics on the PC version is indeed crap. I play the PC version, and I've seen a bunch of pre-PC version release gameplays (360 and PS3) to know that it's true.

If you really need a solid proof, watch this comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlZ8x_B0Cq4#t=1m20s

It's not a good comparison video, but you can obviously notice the PC version's lack of post-processing effects. HDR isn't there either, only a bloom effect.

Purponic
10-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Its a ♥♥♥♥ty console port thats all. PC > Console any day of the week with the right developers. Console graphics are like a decade behind the PC.

dannythefool
10-09-2011, 02:44 AM
It's not a good comparison video, but you can obviously notice the PC version's lack of post-processing effects. HDR isn't there either, only a bloom effect.

See, I never said graphics were spectacularly good. I just don't see how the PC version being slightly darker suddenly means it lacks post-processing. It's darker overall, not only in specific areas. If that bothers you, then adjust your gamma. At the same time, texture resolution is much better on the PC. That still doesn't make graphics stellar overall, but what I don't understand is how you can complain about shadows being too dark on the PC when all you have to do is adjust gamma or brightness, and at the same time not complain about the washed out mess that the same road is on the console where you have no way to remedy that.

matcarfer
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
See, I never said graphics were spectacularly good. I just don't see how the PC version being slightly darker suddenly means it lacks post-processing. It's darker overall, not only in specific areas. If that bothers you, then adjust your gamma. At the same time, texture resolution is much better on the PC. That still doesn't make graphics stellar overall, but what I don't understand is how you can complain about shadows being too dark on the PC when all you have to do is adjust gamma or brightness, and at the same time not complain about the washed out mess that the same road is on the console where you have no way to remedy that.

Well if you cant see difference please dont confuse others anymore. Its not only a gamma/brightness/lightning/bloom problem, postprocessing effects are wrong/lacking/incomplete/absent.

Please pleeeease stop saying that its only a gamma/brightness problem. Its like saying MP3 sounds equal to CD quality. If you cant see/hear the difference its you that are not capable of diferentiate things.

I hate 360/PS3 resolution, jaggines, hangs, bumps, lack of 60FPS, but this game looks way better on the 360.