PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Dropbox sync (and save/stat file location)

abbe
09-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Original post below.

How to set up Dropbox sync:
What we will do is set up a "Shortcut" to fool the computer in thinking the files is in one location when they really are in another.
Why? Because we have several computers and want our gameplay stats to sync between them.

First, open up a text file, just to make life easier for you, no need to save it.

Copy this string and place it in your textfile:
mklink /D "FAKE FOLDER LOCATION" "REAL FOLDER LOCATION (Dropbox)"

To get the location of your gamefiles, type this in the Run dialog window (which you can open by pressing Windowsbutton+R on your keyboard): %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\
Or, click your way to it through explorer: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\

When you are in the #SharedObjects folder, you should see another folder with a random name, open it.
Inside it, locate the localhost folder.

Now, copy the location string and paste it over the text FAKE FOLDER LOCATION. Important: do not remove the "" around your text.
Mine, as an example: "C:\Users\Abbe\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\6FBLJMMJ\localhost\"

Next, open up your dropbox folder and MOVE the localhost folder to it (anywhere is fine).

Now copy the location string to the moved localhost folder in your dropbox, paste it over the text: REAL FOLDER LOCATION (Dropbox). Again, its important to keep the "'s around the text.
Example: "F:\Dropbox\Savegames och skit\The Binding of Isaac\localhost"

The string should now look similar to this:
mklink /D "C:\Users\Abbe\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\6FBLJMMJ\localhost\" "F:\Dropbox\Savegames och skit\The Binding of Isaac\localhost\"

Almost done!
Open up a command window (Windowsbutton+R, write cmd, press enter) and paste your finished string into it (rightclick and paste).

When you execute it you should get a message similar to this one:
symbolic link created for C:\Users\Abbe\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\6FBLJMMJ\localhost\ <<===>> F:\Dropbox\Savegames och skit\The Binding of Isaac\localhost\

If it doesn't work: Did you remember to Move/Remove the old folder after you moved the files?
Did you remember to keep the " around the location strings?

Congratulations, you have now created a shortcut (kinda, its a bit more advanced than that) to your Dropbox folder! Anything that is written or removed in the fake folder, will have its actual REAL location in your Dropbox folder.

Before you ask: Yes you can do this with any game or file, you can even have Steam games installed on a separate Harddrive if you're running out of space on your primary one.

Original post:
Anyone know where you can find the savegame/profile? Have looked at the usual locations (appdata, documents, game folder, steam userdata folder) but havent found anything at all...

Would very much like to set up a dropbox sync so I can play on my laptop or on my stationary.

abbe
09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Ok, found a file that I suspect might be the stats file.

The location is: %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\XGUDEAMJ\localhost
Note: location may differ, path should be similar though.
The filename is: so.sol

Don't have time to test with dropbox today, but will update this thread if it works with syncing your stats and items between computers. If anyone else have time, please do give it a try.

monkeystick
09-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Ok, found a file that I suspect might be the stats file.

The location is: %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\XGUDEAMJ\localhost
Note: location may differ, path should be similar though.
The filename is: so.sol

Thank you. This fixed a dual monitor issue I was having:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145570

abbe
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Thank you. This fixed a dual monitor issue I was having:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145570

Good to hear it. :)

How to set up Dropbox sync:
What we will do is set up a "Shortcut" to fool the computer in thinking the files is in one location when they really are in another.
Why? Because we have several computers and want our gameplay stats to sync between them.

First, open up a text file, just to make life easier for you, no need to save it.

Copy this string and place it in your textfile:
mklink /D "FAKE FOLDER LOCATION" "REAL FOLDER LOCATION (Dropbox)"

To get the location of your gamefiles, type this in the Run dialog window (which you can open by pressing Windowsbutton+R on your keyboard): %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\
Or, click your way to it through explorer: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\

When you are in the #SharedObjects folder, you should see another folder with a random name, open it.
Inside it, locate the localhost folder.

Now, copy the location string and paste it over the text FAKE FOLDER LOCATION. Important: do not remove the "" around your text.
Mine, as an example: "C:\Users\Abbe\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\6FBLJMMJ\localhost\"

Next, open up your dropbox folder and MOVE the localhost folder to it (anywhere is fine).

Now copy the location string to the moved localhost folder in your dropbox, paste it over the text: REAL FOLDER LOCATION (Dropbox). Again, its important to keep the "'s around the text.
Example: "F:\Dropbox\Savegames och skit\The Binding of Isaac\localhost"

The string should now look similar to this:
mklink /D "C:\Users\Abbe\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\6FBLJMMJ\localhost\" "F:\Dropbox\Savegames och skit\The Binding of Isaac\localhost\"

Almost done!
Open up a command window (Windowsbutton+R, write cmd, press enter) and paste your finished string into it (rightclick and paste).

When you execute it you should get a message similar to this one:
symbolic link created for C:\Users\Abbe\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\6FBLJMMJ\localhost\ <<===>> F:\Dropbox\Savegames och skit\The Binding of Isaac\localhost\

If it doesn't work: Did you remember to Move/Remove the old folder after you moved the files?
Did you remember to keep the " around the location strings?

Congratulations, you have now created a shortcut (kinda, its a bit more advanced than that) to your Dropbox folder! Anything that is written or removed in the fake folder, will have its actual REAL location in your Dropbox folder.

Before you ask: Yes you can do this with any game or file, you can even have Steam games installed on a separate Harddrive if you're running out of space on your primary one.

Typhin
10-01-2011, 11:44 AM
If Windows complains you don't have privileges to do this, go into Start > All Programs > Accessories and then right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator" first. (Why did they have to take away the checkbox on the Run dialog box for running things as admin?)

anticitizen101
10-01-2011, 12:17 PM
You'll want to wait for the patch that fixes save data being deleted by cleaners and whatnot.

The patch was submitted to Steam 8 hours ago and is pending approval. Good guide but hopefully it won't be needed much longer.

abbe
10-02-2011, 03:31 AM
You'll want to wait for the patch that fixes save data being deleted by cleaners and whatnot.

The patch was submitted to Steam 8 hours ago and is pending approval. Good guide but hopefully it won't be needed much longer.

Well, unless he adds Steam Cloud support you wont get your stats synced between computers, so you still need dropbox to do that...

I also doubt he will add that as its an extra cut out of his profit. :)

And thanks, I hope it was written somewhat clearly...

tacc
10-02-2011, 03:37 AM
All those steps are required to sync it with Dropbox? That's ridiculous.

I sync mine with SugarSync and it took like 1 minute to do the few clicks to set it up.

abbe
10-02-2011, 03:42 AM
All those steps are required to sync it with Dropbox? That's ridiculous.

I sync mine with SugarSync and it took like 1 minute to do the few clicks to set it up.

Well, its a guide for the newbie and I tried to explain in detail.
Personally I can set up the sync in less than 10 seconds, but that's because I have a program to create the link automatically when I drag and drop files...

no7892142
10-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Doesn't work with XP, though.
But one could also just make two simple one-line batch files to copy to a "backup" in your dropbox folder and copy from said folder.

Ronie8
05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the solution Abbe, I've done it on my PC but I've to do it on my Macbook. Can you explain the process? I think it's the same changing mklink /D by ln-s but I'm not sure.

abbe
05-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the solution Abbe, I've done it on my PC but I've to do it on my Macbook. Can you explain the process? I think it's the same changing mklink /D by ln-s but I'm not sure.

Hello Ronie8, I dont use a mac myself, did a quick google and found these two articles:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643
http://www.macworld.com/article/1153437/symlinkservice.html
The second one seem to have a script available for download if you don't wanna do the steps yourself, but read carefully before. :)
Other than this I cant help you much.
Good luck!

Ronie8
05-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Hello Ronie8, I dont use a mac myself, did a quick google and found these two articles:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643
http://www.macworld.com/article/1153437/symlinkservice.html
The second one seem to have a script available for download if you don't wanna do the steps yourself, but read carefully before. :)
Other than this I cant help you much.
Good luck!
Thank you so much. I will try it this afternoon.

ibitato
05-24-2012, 05:25 AM
for th0se on windows platform you can try
http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

it's a cloud solution for saved games , that is compatible with hundreds
of games ou of the box

its free